Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
New (kinda) player checking in.

I'm a Suzuki kid who played violin (decently) through college, and have been playing guitar (poorly) since high school.

Having hit a comfortable middle age, I recently picked up a beginner mandolin (a Loar) because I'm increasingly interested in the types of music they feature heavily in.

It turns out that my past made me pick up playing guitar on a violin pretty easily, although I'm still taking the threads recommendations on lessons (online and virtual).

Right now my biggest question is about sheet music. Thanks to violin, I can sight read for mandolin, which I could never do for guitar, and looking around at some sheet music online has left me unimpressed. There's a lot of stuff out there that looks like a lazy/automated system made up a part (in one example, scribing multiple mandolins for Going to California) and not at all music for the actual part. A lot of it just seems to be generic accompaniment, like its the right hand of the piano.

Is this just because of online music farms putting out whatever PDFs they can sell?

If I get some Mel Bay books will they have a higher chance of being good? I'd love to go to the music store and poke through them, but plague and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Bilirubin posted:

Mel Bay books are generally well regarded.
Will pick up some Mel Bay stuff as I find it.

Bilirubin posted:

They Mel Bay books are generally well regarded. But funny enough, Mike Marshall has had me grabbing some violin music to play on the mandolin!
I ended up noodling around on some of the classical pieces I know by heart, and it REALLY pointed out the difference between having to pick every note vs having constant string vibration from a bow. Even runs of 8th notes are challenging, especially when you have to switch between strings rapidly.

Caught in a weird paradox currently: Already wish I had spent more and gotten something better than the Loar, but there's no way in hell I would have known that or realized that I'm liking this enough to sell off some other hobby stuff to get a better mandolin if I hadn't bought the Loar.