Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mr.dandelion
Apr 9, 2009
That Eva Holbrook video is fantastic, she's a great player.

One thing that I love about YouTube is discovering that some random bloke making videos in his bedroom is amazing. Case in point is this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdCLeST3BvY. I mainly play celtic music, and he's the best mandolin player of Irish tunes that I've ever heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr.dandelion
Apr 9, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

There are some amazing self recording and producing mandolinists in Irish/Scottish music, Daggar Gordon and Kevin MacLeod being two examples I know.

Thanks, I'll have to look into them.

One of the main reasons I moved to playing the mandolin is that it's a fairly quiet instrument and so is easy to practice without annoying the neighbours. However, this also means that in any decent sized session it becomes very difficult to be heard. Even using a thick plectrum, I find myself having to hammer on the instrument.

At the moment I'm using a fairly heavily built oval hole flat-top A-style Paul Hathway mandolin. I'm wondering if volume changes significantly as you move into 'fancier' territory: thinner tops, carved top/back etc. F hole mandolins do seem to cut through better, though I prefer the oval hole tone. Has anyone played an oval hole that they'd call loud?