Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
[quote="“Coohoolin”" post="“480628812”"]
https://youtu.be/0SYYRrrwLIY

Would be happy for any constructive criticism of my soloing! Please excuse the unflattering belly angle, I drink too much ale.
[/quote]

Two things that come to mind:
- throw some doublestops in your solos for variety; I’m hearing a lot of fast runs that are real good, but each break sounds stylistically.. similar. One break with lots of single notes, one break with tremolo/doublestops is fun to change things up.
- dynamics! the whole song is full blast all the time. This is of course fine, but dropping to like 75% for the last verse and then back up for the chorus would add some nuance.

Keep posting! I love kitchen pickin videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
+1 for step-by-step Bach for mandolin guides; I’d be extremely interested in watching that sort of thing and trying to up my Bach game.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
Humidity problems make themselves apparent as the wood swells (humid) or contracts (dry) and the alignment of all the components attached shifts a few thousandths of an inch. Mandolins have high string tension and a short scale length, so tiny misalignments have large effect on the sound and playability.

If you feel the ends of the frets trying to escape out the sides of the neck/binding, you have a very dry instrument that might benefit from a Dampit soundhole humidifier—which is just a long skinny sponge in a neoprene sleeve. You’ll dampen this thing every couple weeks, wring it out so it’s not dripping, and stuff it inside the f-hole when you’re not playing.

That said, I also live in the Northeast with an Eastman 515 and it’s coping just fine without additional humidification. It was angry (refused to stay in tune, sounded crappy) for about a month after moving here from North Carolina, then acclimated to the weather and seems to be holding up just fine.

e:

Nice! It sounds like practice is working. :hmmyes:

Dukes Mayo Clinic fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 17, 2022

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009

Planet X posted:

What do yall think about tone guards, those cages you affix to the back of a mandolin so that it sits off the body a bit and increases resonance? Makes sense to me, and I was thinking about picking one up.

Anyone have one? Looks like there's one in that video above. Most of my playing is in loud bars competing, sonically, with other lound instruments in a weekly jam, so I could use a little help cutting through. For breaks, I have started lifting my mandolin up more towards the mic away from my body to get some better resonance and projection.

I have one!

It is criminal that it’s not a standard piece of kit for mandolins. It makes an enormous difference and helps with the mandolin sweat spot on my shirts too.

I recall bitching about the price, but it’s worth twice whatever they’re charging. Mine is maybe 7 years old and going strong.

Dukes Mayo Clinic fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 17, 2022

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

Did that make any sense at all?

I’ll use the finger that I want to be anchored at the end of the slide, and/or whatever’s convenient for what’s coming next. Using your first finger to slide E to F# on the D string on your way to a G chord is fine.

BUT ALSO consider the shape of the G chord that comes next, and do you want to preserve that shape in your hand for the entire way up? Then maybe slide with the middle finger, and with the middle finger on F# you’re still right next to your G chord and barely even need to open your hand.

I had the good fortune to play at a small square dance the other week, and after playing six tunes for four hours I will emphasize that anything you can do to move your hands a shorter distance and still make the right sounds (and stay relaxed) is really clutch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

But what are these called?

I think of them like chord inversions, more or less.

If a doublestop is an abbreviated chord, it too can have different voicings. 5th fret G plus 2nd fret B is like a root position G chord, 4th fret F# plus open A is the 1st inversion of a D chord omitting a root note, etc.