Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Coohoolin posted:

Been digging some Brazilian choro mandolin music. Was listening to Hamilton de Holanda earlier and then I stumbled upon this on youtube, and loving hell.

:eyepop:

Edit: also your post on chords was helpful.

Planet X fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Feb 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
My mandolin doesn't get enough time, and there are a lot of banjos at my jam. I'm going to hop back in on Monroe style bluesy mandolin and work on being able to actually navigate rather than just memorize and hack.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
The bluegrass jam is starting up again. I play a variety of instruments in the genre, and am probably least proficient at the mandolin, although I'd consider myself an intermediate.

I tend to take multiple instruments to the jam and play whatever's needed to round out the ensemble, or play whatever instrument I'm most comfortable with on the song.

I want to up my game a bit on typical bluegrass mandolin, so am looking for a book of chords, licks, and tab. I could sign up for Artist Works or Banjo Ben or some other site, and that's fine, but I really just want a book. I work on a computer all day and get sick of sitting in this chair.

As there are a few standard texts for bluegrass banjo (such as "The Earl Book" and say, Tony Trishka's text on melodic banjo styles), is there something similar for mandolin? Not really a huge bible of sorts, but a standard book to star with? I can play OK, but just really want to not have to figure out licks and such and save time by propping a book up on the stand and working through some fiddle tune tabs, say.

I really need the Nils Hokkanen pocket guide but it's out of print :mad:

I see a bunch of stuff on this page at Elderly, https://www.elderly.com/collections/category_books-downloads?page=4 but not sure where to start, there's a lot there

Edit: The Mandolin Picker's guide to bluegrass improvisation may be a good start for me

Planet X fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 13, 2021

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I started taking the Sharon Gilchrist lessons online. Theyre great.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I have an Eastman 315, and I love it. Recently had a full re-setup done on it and it still sounds great. I even snapped the tip of the headstock off accidentally like Bill Monroe did.

It is my goon opinion that you dont need to worry about humidity on a $500 instrument. I don't. I don't humidify my Martin guitar, but at that pricepoint, maybe I should, but I do keep it in its case. I live in MD so I think it's humid enough to not have to worry. I would assume the same about RI. I also have radiator heat in my house, so my house doesn't dry out significantly.

Now, if you want to keep a humidifier in your case, I don't think there's any harm in that, but I wouldn't worry about it. Take it to the beach from time to time and play some sea shanties and let that soak up all that salty air...

If you had a Collings or some expensive rare mandolin, I'd say do it, but (and im not being snobby here) that I just wouldn't worry about it for a lower-mid tier instrument, which are most of the instruments I own, FWIW. You can also take it in from time to time to the luthier and get their thoughts.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
What do yall think about tone guards, those cages you affix to the back of a mandolin so that it sits off the body a bit and increases resonance? Makes sense to me, and I was thinking about picking one up.

Anyone have one? Looks like there's one in that video above. Most of my playing is in loud bars competing, sonically, with other lound instruments in a weekly jam, so I could use a little help cutting through. For breaks, I have started lifting my mandolin up more towards the mic away from my body to get some better resonance and projection.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Thanks. There's a shop about a half hour away from me that has them in stock so I'll go check them out when I can.

Xiahou Dun posted:

What is up, Eastern Seaboard Eastman Pals.

East Coast Beast Coast :banjo:

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I don't think I've shared this to the thread, it's really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d06qLgWBGaI

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Lookin for some shortcuts on book recommendations. I'm an intermediate level mandolin player and I play nearly 100% traditional bluegrass. I've got the feel, I have listened to a ton of Bluegrass, I jam weekly or biweekly at tempo. I'm proficient in several instruments, not really super good at one thing. My theory is decent, but limited. I play whatever the ensemble needs, and right now, we have a ton of banjo and guitar players, and I'm either the only or one of a few mando players that show up, so I need to up my game and not just make educated guesses and hack my way through solos. There are great local guitar and banjo lessons, but none really for the mandolin

For a while, I took Sharon Gilchrist's premade lessons through Peghead Nation and they were really good, but I did it at a time where my attention was pretty split and it doesn't make sense for me to keep doing that. I want a physical book that is going to ground me in bluegrass licks, applicable scales (major and blues scales) and this here seems to be something that's on the short list for recommendations:

https://www.melbay.com/Products/22086M/the-mandolin-pickers-guide-to-bluegrass-improvisation.aspx

Anything else I should consider? I want an actual book that I can put in a stand that'll teach me how to evolve to be able to be somewhat creative in solos and when to use certain double stops (long vs short, say, as I picked up in Sharon's lessons).

I'm sitting down more and committing scales and fretboard to memory, and will have time over Christmas to put towards this.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Xiahou Dun posted:

Also, just to the air because y'all will understand this : I just had two E strings snap in my hand and I would like to give a loud and emphatic loving OW. Real glad that was my hand and not my face.

:stare:

Some of those super top tier mandolin players (or musicians) seen live - they make it seems so fluid, effortless, and tasteful.

If you want to talk about someone from another planet, seek out Michael Cleveland. He's just head and shoulders above in terms of fiddle. I'm a huge fan of Vassar, Jason Carter, Stuart Duncan, Mark O'Connor, etc, but Michael is just..wow

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yeah speaking of witchcraft, I’ve been meaning to share this old gem I’ve become obsessed with :

https://youtu.be/UJ4VSgYmXvo

And I’m gonna check out Cleveland, thanks for the heads up, Planet X.

:hfive: you know it

Sharon's lessons are great on Artist Works (I think thats where she is) - I took them for a while.

Roanoake is one of my mandolin favorite songs and one of the first I learned on Mandolin.

Cleveland's showcase piece is Lee Highway Blues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE_G0OfJ-ew

I also like this version of fire on the mtn - but note that while I'm referencing two showoff tunes, he plays with an incredible taste, timing and virtuosity and is not just a speed for the sake of speed player. He's also blind and partially deaf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvT3O_2QQGI

Edit: I just watched these again and good lord nobody plays like this except him. Truly a gift.

Planet X fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Im learning Orange Blossom Special. Wanna bust it out at the jam and see if the fiddlers want a go