Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

Coohoolin posted:

Been digging some Brazilian choro mandolin music. Was listening to Hamilton de Holanda earlier and then I stumbled upon this on youtube, and loving hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdBwOOwcwTU

I'm eleven minutes in and just :swoon:ing so hard. This is so so so good!!

So glad to find this thread! I just picked up mandolin back in October, inspired primarily by the awesome roots and/or mando music I'd hear on these two fantastic Western Australian radio shows I discovered not long before (Rockin' The Roots and Plucked Strings on RTRFM, based in Perth, AUS--I'm such a fan, they are so good, check them out!!) and I've been learning as I go, primarily by playing in nearby open Irish trad sessions, with the occasional bluegrass session in there too.

While I grew up with music (primarily voice, though I also play traditional Korean percussion and bits of other things here and there), this is my first string instrument (since my four years of viola in elementary/middle school, anyway) but thanks to my giant ladynerdboner for music theory and a good ear I'm able to keep up/catch on pretty quickly, though I'm still definitely thinking faster than my fingers can move! I'm still getting a handle on playing basic chords with precision and speed, and just starting to try my hand at some of the easier melodies. What is primarily tripping me up right now is figuring out what the "right" fingering position and/or picking directions are for particular melodies. One tip I got is that you're generally picking down on the downbeats, which makes sense and all, but there's only so much mileage I can get out of that, especially for pieces in triple meter. Similarly, how do you know when you "should" be playing in 1st position versus further up the neck? And/or how do you "properly" reach the odd note or so that you can't reach from the position you're hand is currently in--do you slide your whole hand up the neck and back really quickly?

I suppose the simpler question is: Do any of you know of any good online tutorials for picking (and picking direction, specifically) and/or fingering positions, and how to determine the most "appropriate" way to handle either or both on the fly/when playing new pieces/improvising/just jamming?

Oh, and chop chords! I have to break out of my two-finger-chords-for-everything safety net sooner rather than later. Anyone have particular favorite resources for fingering for those as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

Coohoolin posted:

Practice alternate picking chromatic exercises for EVER and eventually up and down won't matter.

EDIT: As for chop chords I never actually looked them up but if you start from double stops you can figure out instinctively where the other two fingers should go. Can't be more helpful, sorry.

Those are good places to start in any case, thanks!