Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Recently picked up a Kentucky KM272 and have signed up for some lessons in person locally and I was wondering are there any strap recommendations for an a-style? I ordered one off Amazon but the pin I have is too large for the hole so I had to make it bigger but now it seems too loose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I can post a picture later tonight but as for what I wanna play mostly folk and stuff like that. This will be my first serious go at an instrument since I was a kid doing violin. It’s been so long I’m basically starting from zero

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So here’s the strap for my pin. You can see the end one, which unopened more, versus how they normally are.

And then here’s the pin on the bottom of my mandolin

Also I saw some rumblings online about humidifying and now I’m concerned cause I didn’t know anything about that and I’m in the North East in RI. Do I need to worry about using a humidifier in my case or whatever?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

Anyway, that strap : you can't really uncut something, but there must be ways to close that up a little more. (Leaving aside just getting a new one, but it's not like straps are expensive so it's good to keep in mind.) If I was you, I'd put the peg through the hole and then cinch shut the narrower part you opened up with just some strong black thread : it'll stay on good, it definitely won't damage anything, and it's an attachment point if you wanted to put in a decorative element. But I'm a bit extra and have a gently caress off colorful skull on my case and only take my strap off to change strings, so maybe I shouldn't be anyone's role model.

I ended up ordering this nice strap from a site called legacy straps for now:

I’ve planned on getting a much nicer, but pricier, leather strap down the line but I just wanted something in the midterm to make it easier to hold

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Are there any good videos or pictures on how to properly fret/hood a mandolin. I’ve started to take lessons but I’m having an issue where if I’m doing a more complex one my finger is slightly dampening a neighboring string by mistake. I’ve searched online and some people say it’s a common issue starting out and as you build calluses and firm up your finger tips it’ll happen less but I just wanna be sure I’m not having like a horrible grip or anything

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So my mandolin is well over due for my first string changing and I was wondering what strings are preferred by goons here?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I dunno if it’s just something that’ll become better in time as I use it more but my pinky really, really curves into my ring finger while I try to fret with it and I’m not sure if I’m just not having my left hand in correct orientation or if my pinky has some until now weird deformation I’ve never noticed before. Anyone have issues like this or is there suggestions for making your pinky not do this?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

I never knew how much tiny, subtle variation there was in human hands until I got into this hobby.

I can’t solve your specific issue, but my understanding is that basically nobody has a pinky that’s naturally good at stretching very quickly, lightly, as distant as possible and without tension. It’s just not a thing hands are very good at without a lot of practice. Personally I can reach suuuper far without changing positions but my accuracy is just the pits, hit the wrong string and everything.

Are you doing closed scales? They suck at first but they slowly getting smoother. I think.

It’s both closed scales and just in general. Here’s some pictures to show what I mean. It’s like my pinky finger wants its top to always be right with my ring finger and trying to separate them just needs up with the pinky curling sideways and trying to slide up back to the ring finger. All the videos I’ve watch of people playing seem to have pinkies that can at least move straight

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR45qxR197o

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Started to try to learn b minor chord and I just can’t seem to get a clean sound on the e string with my index on the a and e second fret when I reach with my ring finger to fret the fourth fret on the G string no matter how much I squeeze. Is it just building muscle in that position at this point?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Maybe I’m just being really down on my self after a lot of frustration but can some people just physically not play chords and stuff on the mandolin? My pinkie just doesn’t seem to work right. I can’t get it to tuck behind my ring finger when I need it to and it seems to want nothing more to curl its tip into the side of my ring finger. I dunno if it’s turned out I’ve had a hosed up hand structure all this time and just never did anything before that highlighted that but I am just really discouraged right now since it seems like my hand is making it physically impossible to play

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I do need to be told what the closed position is. I am coming up on my one year anniversary and I take lessons every week so I just I guess felt like by now my hand should be able to at least form correctly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Thanks for the suggestions and help. I definitely felt a burn in my palm doing the exercises you recommended so I hope that means it’s working haha