Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
And people say they should expand the playoff to 8 teams...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Anthony Miller should be a first round pick

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
gently caress 8 team playoffs, that will make the regular season meaningless. The conference championships are already kind of like playoff games so this year was an 8 team setup anyway with Wisconsin, Auburn, TCU, and Miami being bounced in the first round.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
clemson and alabama need a rubber match anyway

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Ohio State has more good wins than Bama and also it’d be super funny if a team that got boat raced by Iowa made the playoff

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
I’m an Ohio State fan, but they don’t deserve to make the playoff this year, but neither does Bama. The only reasonable thing to do is put Pitt in.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

It's going to be a question of how much weight the committee places on getting beat by a combined 50 points in 2 losses, which I don't really think they'll put too much on that. They already said last week that Bama and OSU were basically even, so I think OSU is in.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Emron posted:

It's going to be a question of how much weight the committee places on getting beat by a combined 50 points in 2 losses, which I don't really think they'll put too much on that. They already said last week that Bama and OSU were basically even, so I think OSU is in.

They have said in the past they care about wins much more than losses but they’re also not all that consistent about anything.

This would be the perfect year to pretend that the G5 actually has a chance but alas

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Would be too much to ask for the Georgia Rivals board to just be happy and enjoy the win right? Yep. Let’s complain about WR blocking.

My eyes can’t roll hard enough.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm pulling for Georgia. OU and Clemson already have titles recently, as does Alabama and OSU.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
6 team playoff: each P5 champion, one wild card, and the highest ranked G5 school :shrug:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

GobiasIndustries posted:

6 team playoff: each P5 champion, one wild card, and the highest ranked G5 school :shrug:

who is honestly clamoring for one of the Pac-12 teams? I don’t really see the impetus to expand when we can’t even find a fourth team that anyone is all that excited about getting in.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 3, 2017

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

GobiasIndustries posted:

First of all how does that wild card work if there's five P5 champs in there and a G5 school?

Second, the debate this year is whether there's actually a team that's worthy of that 4th spot, not which worthy team gets in. I don't know why "well poo poo, we can't figure out which unimpressive resume gets in at #4, let's expand to allow in more unimpressive resumes" is supposed to be a good argument.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
whoops, meant to drop the wild card part.

I dunno, I still think 4 teams is fine and 8 teams is unnecessary, just thinking via typing here folks because it seems like outside of this forum a ton of people are bitching about it as usual.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

MourningView posted:

They have said in the past they care about wins much more than losses but they’re also not all that consistent about anything.

This would be the perfect year to pretend that the G5 actually has a chance but alas

Right. I think they're in a tough spot because their methods point to OSU but putting in a team that lost by 31 to a 7-5 team is a hard pill to swallow for a lot of people.

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

You probably don't know her, she goes to a different school
Yeah I'm on board with the idea of staying at a four team playoff. As annoying as this scenario is, about half the fun of my season is watching big name schools lose on the road to teams like Iowa, or Iowa State, or whoever else has the hot hand this week knowing that it's crippled that big name schools season immensely.

If we put all the conference champions in a playoff it basically makes OOC games meaningless. If we just go with what's perceived to be the best 8 teams then we're going to have scenarios where 2 loss teams are absolutely in contention, and probably the odd year where a 3 loss team is in the mix... Which again makes those exciting October upsets kind of meaningless.

College football is great because every single game has a huge amount of meaning and implication on the season. If that gets chipped away it's one step closer to the classy cocktail party at the mayors house known as the NFL, rather than the greasy college kegger where you wake up on the lawn the next morning wondering what happened.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

vikingstrike posted:

Would be too much to ask for the Georgia Rivals board to just be happy and enjoy the win right? Yep. Let’s complain about WR blocking.

My eyes can’t roll hard enough.

Why the hell would you read a Georgia Rivals board? This is like swimming in the East River and complaining that you contracted giardia.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Randaconda posted:

I'm pulling for Georgia.

You should never do this.

Imagine the most insufferable fanbase after they win something, then multiply it by a factor of 10 and you'll have a vague idea of what we'd be dealing with.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

Randaconda posted:

I'm pulling for Georgia. OU and Clemson already have titles recently, as does Alabama and OSU.

Welcome!

I’m not excited to face off against Mayfield but by some stroke of luck black magic maybe Clemson gets upended. The Clemson D-line scares the poo poo out of me.

E:

FizFashizzle posted:

Imagine the most insufferable fanbase after they win something, then multiply it by a factor of 10 and you'll have a vague idea of what we'd be dealing with.

I don’t know if I want to deal with Clemson: back-to-back national champs here in Charleston.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Shappa posted:

Yeah I'm on board with the idea of staying at a four team playoff. As annoying as this scenario is, about half the fun of my season is watching big name schools lose on the road to teams like Iowa, or Iowa State, or whoever else has the hot hand this week knowing that it's crippled that big name schools season immensely.

If we put all the conference champions in a playoff it basically makes OOC games meaningless. If we just go with what's perceived to be the best 8 teams then we're going to have scenarios where 2 loss teams are absolutely in contention, and probably the odd year where a 3 loss team is in the mix... Which again makes those exciting October upsets kind of meaningless.

College football is great because every single game has a huge amount of meaning and implication on the season. If that gets chipped away it's one step closer to the classy cocktail party at the mayors house known as the NFL, rather than the greasy college kegger where you wake up on the lawn the next morning wondering what happened.
Also, remember a few years ago when Nebraska was 10-2 and Wisconsin was 7-5 going to the Big Ten championship game...and Wisconsin dropped 70 on Nebraska?

Auto berths for conference champions would be dumb as heck.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

FizFashizzle posted:

dawgs bitch

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FizFashizzle posted:

You mean the Gators, obviously

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Pandanaut posted:

I don’t know if I want to deal with Clemson: back-to-back national champs here in Charleston.

You made your choice.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
/taps mic

gently caress miami

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery
Goofus changes his mind on whether he wants a 4 or 8 team playoff depending on the quality of the worst P5 conference champion that year.
Gallant is not so fickle and consistently advocates for [4/8] teams.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frinkahedron posted:

/taps mic

gently caress miami

hell, same

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Emron posted:

Right. I think they're in a tough spot because their methods point to OSU but putting in a team that lost by 31 to a 7-5 team is a hard pill to swallow for a lot of people.

Ehh 2014 OSU got their asses handed to them by a 6-6 Va Tech team IN COLUMBUS. It was obviously the right move putting them in then.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Mahoning posted:

Ehh 2014 OSU got their asses handed to them by a 6-6 Va Tech team IN COLUMBUS. It was obviously the right move putting them in then.

They lost by 14 in a one loss season where they won the conference 59-0, definitely the same thing as losing by 31 in a two loss season where they won the conference by 6

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Pandanaut posted:

No you really don’t.

Also, gently caress Georgia.

Also,

:unsmith::hf::unsmith: fellow Charleston goon.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Does anyone not think that Oklahoma-Clemson is the final, and that Oklahoma is gonna transform that into a shootout, and nobody's winning a shootout with Oklahoma.

Oklahoma made an exceptional defense built to beat Oklahoma look like loving trash

I'm fully okay with it.

Oklahoma is 12-1 today.

That one is the Iowa State loving Cyclones, and that's enough to make me happy. The better OK does this year, the more that burns. :v:

Rad Valtar posted:

Also Ohio State had 2 top ten wins vs Bamas 0. The committee is pretty much worthless so get ready for chaos.

My Cyclones beat more ranked teams this year than 'Bama, IIRC. They have a yearly mandate to shoot the loving kneecaps off of at least one ranked Big12 team that they're projected to lose horribly to.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 3, 2017

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

You probably don't know her, she goes to a different school
Just for fun, here's a probable 8 team playoff
(seeding can differ depending on if the P5 champs get the top 5 spots or not)

1. Clemson
2. Oklahoma
3. Georgia
4. Ohio State
5. Alabama
6. USC
7. UCF

And once again we're debating things.Is it 1 loss Wisconsin? TCU? 3 Loss Auburn with a better resume than Wisconsin?

And then granted there are some exciting games there, but it also potentially makes a couple of conference championship games sort of irrelevant. Or when Alabama rolls into the final week knowing they've got a spot no matter what. Or Georgia probably clinching before their championship game. Seems like a really slippery slope to me.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
gentlemen i have a solution that leaves everyone happy.

clemson
oklahoma
georgia
usc

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
What time is the selection show thing? Also I'm happy with 4 teams but throw the committee in the garbage.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Rad Valtar posted:

What time is the selection show thing? Also I'm happy with 4 teams but throw the committee in the garbage.

Noon.

Also, agreed, the committee is more opaque than the old BCS rankings.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Rad Valtar posted:

Noon.

But the real question is at what point does Bob Spoo weigh in on all of this?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Proud Christian Mom posted:

gentlemen i have a solution that leaves everyone happy.

clemson
oklahoma
georgia
usc FAU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kennesaw State imo just for the turnover plank.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Just put in the top-4 teams in PPG and see what happens.

e: there'd have to be a bit of adjusting to make sure their defensive ppg isn't too good though, I just wanna see shootouts

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
My gut is telling me that Ohio State gets in. The nation watched Jalen Hurts' inability to complete forward passes and hasn't forgotten about it. I suspect that the committee will also want to rebut Gary Danielson's endless pro-SEC pitches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

LeeMajors posted:

No you really don’t.

Also, gently caress Georgia.

Also,

:unsmith::hf::unsmith: fellow Charleston goon.

:hfive: For enjoying awful traffic and terrible roads.

I don’t know if I can agree with besmirching the University of Georgia, however.

You all know who the biggest winners of all are? Nike. No matter who it is (OSU/Bama) they once again get all four playoff times (Wisconsin and Auburn are Under Armour).

I’m excited to participate in some consumerism by purchasing a diamond playoff jacket. All of the Clemson folks I know have one from last year and they are sharp. Hopefully they look just as good this year.

E: Miami is Adidias as well.

Pandanaut fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 3, 2017

• Locked thread