Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wonder what the top 2 teams would be under the BCS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Clemson + Georgia, I would guess. Thank God that's not an issue this year.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

LLCoolJD posted:

Clemson + Georgia, I would guess. Thank God that's not an issue this year.

I’m going to guess Oklahoma instead of UGA as much as it pains me to think about.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I think it'd be Clemson/OU pretty easily. Both those teams dropped dumb games to inferior competition; UGA got shithoused.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
My fiancee is an Ohio State alum but I'm rooting against them, even though I have no real college football allegiance. Does this mean our marriage is doomed? :ohdear:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Residency Evil posted:

My fiancee is an Ohio State alum but I'm rooting against them, even though I have no real college football allegiance. Does this mean our marriage is doomed? :ohdear:

If you're marrying an Ohio State alum it was doomed from the start. Sorry you had to find out this way :(

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Randaconda posted:

I wonder what the top 2 teams would be under the BCS

Closest are probably these: https://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

Clemson, Georgia, Oklahoma, Ohio State are the top 4 here

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Residency Evil posted:

You need to know that, no matter where she is, she'll demand that the nearest restaurant/bar change the channel to the one showing the Buckeyes game.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Condoleeza Rice isn't on the committee anymore?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The committee meets in Grapevine? poo poo, I can drive down there and start taunting.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
want some of dat Clemson pizza

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
PUT UCF IN THE PLAYOFF gently caress OHIO STATE AND gently caress ALABAMA

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
That current ADs and former coaches are allowed on the committee is hilarious.

Don't know who would be on it, but :laffo:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

That current ADs and former coaches are allowed on the committee is hilarious.

Don't know who would be on it, but :laffo:

Put Spurrier in there. Georgia would be left out and Duke would get a vote.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Should just be all living Presidents tbh. W owned a team, Obama loved sports, Trump owned a team, just makes sense!

siriuslysomething
Feb 5, 2013

He's so fast!

(and probably broken)
So how long are they going to delay before the reveal? Also, we find out other bowl games during this too right?

E: just had that answered.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
The idea that the problem with the BCS was computers is laughable and I really hate ESPN, but that's just normal and what they want.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Roasted Donut posted:

PUT UCF IN THE PLAYOFF gently caress OHIO STATE AND gently caress ALABAMA

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The idea that the problem with the BCS was computers is laughable and I really hate ESPN, but that's just normal and what they want.

To some extent the computers were a problem, but it was because people forced computers to not look at margin of victory at all.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

GobiasIndustries posted:

want some of dat Clemson pizza

:discourse:

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Grittybeard posted:

To some extent the computers were a problem, but it was because people forced computers to not look at margin of victory at all.

Margin of victory for one game is pretty lame, but it’s a useful measure as an average over the course of the year. I’m not sure which one the bcs used.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
So the only watch party out of the six teams is Clemson with Papa John’s.

I love Dabo sometimes.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
I am excited for the committee to shaft Ohio State

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I don’t understand Saban’s repeated “total body of work” comments when that’s basically the biggest reason to keep them out of the playoff.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

nachos posted:

Margin of victory for one game is pretty lame, but it’s a useful measure as an average over the course of the year. I’m not sure which one the bcs used.
Its weight also doesn't have to scale linearly

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

So Bama is #4 in the AP Poll and Coaches Poll...

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Marty Smith is pissed he's not at the Clemson pizza party

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

Scarf posted:

Marty Smith is pissed he's not at the Clemson pizza party

Hell I don’t even like Clemson and I want to be at the pizza party.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

sportsgenius86 posted:

I don’t understand Saban’s repeated “total body of work” comments when that’s basically the biggest reason to keep them out of the playoff.

Are you factoring in that it's Bama? That's important.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Pandanaut posted:

Hell I don’t even like Clemson and I want to be at the pizza party.

I have some friends that have gone every year.

Also Marty has a huge boner for Clemson...

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

nachos posted:

I believe they didn't use either because it encouraged running up the score or something. If that's a worry my preference would have been to cap it at x points per game and look at the season totals given that--sure you'd end up with some dumb situations where coaches go for a TD up 7 with 14 seconds left but not like...old school Nebraska winning by 70 every week for no reason.

Either way I'm fairly sure they just threw it out altogether didn't they?

Its weight also doesn't have to scale linearly

This is true too and maybe an easier way to handle it.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

Residency Evil posted:

What fast food restaurant does your fiancee work for?

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Wisconsin is out of the playoffs and that’s all I care about

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Soup du Jour posted:

Wisconsin is out of the playoffs and that’s all I care about
They should put Wisconsin in

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

sportsgenius86 posted:

Total body of work means the previous years and the Bear Bryant years. Really the whole history of Bama football and the SEC.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Gotta say I've appreciated how ESPN handles these CFP selection shows. They don't string you along any more than they have to.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
When are they actually selecting?

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Pandanaut posted:

I’m going to guess Oklahoma instead of UGA as much as it pains me to think about.

BCS had a lot of poll inertia. Clemson and Oklahoma would have benefitted heavily by losing early (and close). UGA's late loss would have dropped them below both with no shot to jump ahead. And Auburn never would have been ranked 2.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Chump Farts posted:

When are they actually selecting?

it should be coming up after this commercial break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I like the argument that if you’re gonna let Alabama in because they only have one loss, you should let Wisconsin in instead.

• Locked thread