Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

The idea that the problem with the BCS was computers is laughable and I really hate ESPN, but that's just normal and what they want.

To some extent the computers were a problem, but it was because people forced computers to not look at margin of victory at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

nachos posted:

Margin of victory for one game is pretty lame, but it’s a useful measure as an average over the course of the year. I’m not sure which one the bcs used.

I believe they didn't use either because it encouraged running up the score or something. If that's a worry my preference would have been to cap it at x points per game and look at the season totals given that--sure you'd end up with some dumb situations where coaches go for a TD up 7 with 14 seconds left but not like...old school Nebraska winning by 70 every week for no reason.

Either way I'm fairly sure they just threw it out altogether didn't they?

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Its weight also doesn't have to scale linearly

This is true too and maybe an easier way to handle it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Dango Bango posted:

Underdogs all the way. Crazy poo poo happens in bowl season.

According to one of my uncles who was a degenerate gambler you used to be able to clean up betting nothing but underdogs in bowl games every year. Vegas/the betters have gotten smarter about it so it doesn't work anymore but he claims every Christmas gift he ever bought someone in the 70s/80s was paid for in free bowl money.

Same uncle is no longer a degenerate gambler but is a drunk and likes to tell stories, so I am not 100% sure this is actually true.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
It's a shame that Baylor ran such a toxic program and everyone involved is to one degree or another (mostly a high degree) horrible because that offense really is fun to watch.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

KKKLIP ART posted:

That is really funny but would be better used against Saban who is older

I would never have guessed that Saban is 13 years older than Urban Meyer before looking it up. I have trouble believing it's true even after doing so.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

the mean lunch lady posted:

I would love for Mizzou to steal him, but that history, hoo boy

I was 100% down for making a run at Calipari way back when that was even a slightly possible chance and everyone and their mother thought he was a dirty recruiter/whatever. I guess that was all the way before the Mike Anderson hire.

I'm quite a bit less ok with this idea even though Briles would just be an OC.

e: It won't happen anyway since apparently they're not even considering Freeze who just likes hookers.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

vyst posted:

A bowl game vs *checks schedule* Southern Miss?

:rip: Hagetaka

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Just saw that Buechele is supposed to start for Texas tomorrow. Texas fans isn't Ehlinger clearly superior (although still not very good) or am I hallucinating that? Or at least clearly has the better upside and you might as well give him as many reps as possible?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

G-Hawk posted:

Yeah, they've got some growing to do. I think Ehlinger looks a lot better in 9 months. And we have some good young backfield talent. Worried about the o-line, but it can't get worse, honestly.

Insofar as Missouri has a strength on defense it's their DL, so even though your line isn't great it wasn't like they were going up against nothing.

Now why you didn't throw for 800 yards anyway against Missouri's secondary you'll have to answer on your own.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I think Deloss had the dickhead part of Texas's program covered during Mack's time.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Troy Davis's first 2000 yard season!...Iowa State went 3-8.

Don't worry though, he went for 2000+ again the next season.

Iowa State went 2-9. Jesus Christ Iowa State.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Komet posted:

Am I the only person who doesn't get the turnover chain reference???

I have no clue how you've avoided hearing about it but Miami has this hilariously garish and awesome chain they let whoever gets a takeaway on D wear for a while.

Miami was really good at turnovers all year...up until the last few games.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Like half of those appearances have been Bama.

Or Saban coached teams if we're going back that far.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'd forgotten all about that Oklahoma squib kick fuckup at the end of the first half that led to the super long field goal. Which ended up mattering.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

G-Hawk posted:

Thats a valid opinion. But built in your post here is the assumption that early season matters less, or mid season matters less. Thats how the NFL is setup. I personally do not like the NFL, in part because I think the regular season is boring as poo poo, and the playoffs are a crap shoot. Thats personal taste. But That's not how every sports league is setup. Personally, I want Week 1 to matter exactly as much as Week 11. Consistency over a season matters.

This is an interesting spin because for years and years college football losses in week 10 mattered more than they did in week 1. The difference recently seems to be either computers in the BCS in a very few circumstances or the playoff committee.

And I'd argue the committee would be more prone to ignore an early season loss these days as well, but we'd need more data to find out if that would be true.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

boop the snoot posted:

I think it was Nebraska who got clobbered by Colorado by 30 points in the conference championship one year and still made it to the national title game because losses at the end of the year counted just as much as losses at the beginning in the BCS calculations.

Or when Oklahoma got wrecked by Kansas State and stayed at number 1 because of the way they dominated the weeks prior.

People hated that poo poo a LOT.

Grittybeard posted:

The difference recently seems to be either computers in the BCS in a very few circumstances or the playoff committee.

I should note that the computers were doomed to fail from the start, margin of victory (or loss) in some fashion could have been included, which is an actual indicator of how good teams are. But there was this huge fear that everyone would be running up the score all the time even though there were ways to reasonably get around that 98% of the time. So they just refused to take that into account in any way.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

It was still a drat good game and I’m really excited to see what Riley can accomplish in his career.

I won't say I expected him to be bad exactly, but I did expect some growing pains for Riley in his first year as head coach and not super-recruiter/OC. I suppose we'll see how it goes breaking in a new quarterback next year and hiring assistants if he does get rid of Stoops at DC, but if he's actually good that's pretty annoying if you're not an OU fan. Dude's still only 34 years old.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

the mean lunch lady posted:

Speaking of getting rid of penalties, could they get rid of illegal formation without loving things up?

Not really, unless you want to get rid of ineligible downfield like we were talking about earlier (or make everyone eligible). The formation is how eligible receivers are determined.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Kerryon Johnson gone for the draft, was not really expecting that one. The injury history is both a reason to go get money and probably a big drag on his stock.

Man when he's good he's good he looks pretty good though. A guy I wouldn't mind my team drafting, but like you said not very early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
So is that Bama kid who collapsed on the sideline ok?

• Locked thread