Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Contractual obligation fulfilled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Henchman of Santa posted:

What's with the skiing panda?

World War 2 training insignia used by the 10th Mountain. They fought in the Italian Alps.

https://history.denverlibrary.org/news/having-fun-during-hardest-times

Nike really goes all-out for Army and Navy and it's just awesome.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

D.N. Nation posted:

Mother of God.

Six and Six Sigma

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Ed Oliver winning the Outland :hellyeah:

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

the mean lunch lady posted:

I would love for Mizzou to steal him, but that history, hoo boy
Same. Normally I'd be 1000% for an alum to come home, but it's just not going to happen. The campus drat near rioted last year when someone made up an Art Briles rumor on Twitter.

Speaking of Art, Texas megabooster Red McCombs is trying to force Art on Incarnate Word, a FCS program he more or less owns.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

As if ESPN is going to call off one of their biggest brands

Also, I'd be really pissed if I was at Buffalo or Western Michigan. One of them got screwed out of a good chunk of change for a MAC team.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 22, 2017

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

A&M continues to be rear end (my dude)

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

DJExile posted:

UCF's upset of Auburn is very much the outlier to what typically happens when a G5 has a hell of a year.

This outlier has happened three times in the AAC's five years of existence.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

I thought this was also a "rebuilding" year for Bama?

I don't get the concept of a blue blood like Bama or Clemson having rebuilding years at all, like they're some AAC squad working off a core of one awesome recruiting class three years ago.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Emron posted:

If you want an image of the future, imagine a 320 pound offensive tackle blocking a free safety on play action post routes forever

It's a gateway drug that leads to 2 and 3-QB A-11 formations, next thing you know guys are flipping through the air doing Johnny Rico poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn_EiAzW2uQ&t=114s

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

That was also back when Oregon was a new and exciting thing and was supposed to complete their rise to the top

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

G-Hawk posted:

You start playing a #15 here and a #20 there and a 7-5 and 6-6 type team inbetween and it gets really tough to run off undefeated seasons, thats why P5 teams rarely do it.

UCF plays in exactly the conference you find a 15 or 20 here and there because that happens to be the top of the mountain for a G5 squad. Maybe the AAC isn't the shitshow everyone assumes it is?

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

a neat cape posted:

I hate the MWC and want out.

You and Boise had your chance

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

b-minus1 posted:

lol. that was before my time. I didn't even know this happened.

Yep, it was the first year of the BCS. Tulane rolled up Conference USA and was 10th in the final BCS poll, but the mid-major conferences weren't even part of the original BCS system and there wasn't the contractual obligations for inclusion back then, so Tulane was completely ignored.

Utah would have had the same treatment in 04 had Orrin Hatch not gone to bat for them with Congressional hearings and threats of IRS audits of the BCS bowls.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Noctone posted:

There’s so much salt there that Mt. Everest is no longer the tallest mountain in the world.

Nothing compared to the Salty Mons Olympus SEC fans are piling up in Orlando

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 5, 2018

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Spacebump posted:

"I'm not there yet," said American Athletic commissioner Mike Aresco, who has been vocal in his support of UCF, which is the only undefeated team left in the country and finished No. 12 in the selection committee's final ranking. "I am open to the notion, but I'm not campaigning for it. The last thing I want to do is give anyone the impression I'm campaigning to expand it, because I'm not. I'm happy with the four."
The American needs a new commissioner.

I'm mixed on it. I get what Aresco is doing here, the AAC's Tier 1 media rights are up for renegotiation and he'd like ESPN to pay something closer to what the AAC is worth, and maybe throw in a guaranteed NY6 bowl berth. Power Six stuff. So, kiss the ring and toe the ESPN party line on its playoff and take one for the team and get everyone a better deal.

On the other hand...the only guy that thinks that might work is Mike Aresco.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

iospace posted:

Most likely the conferences by way of "They play too many games already! They might get hurt!"

ESPN has an interest in limiting the field too. More playoff games means spending more money that ESPN does not have.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

MourningView posted:

The network that would have it is part of the same company

Not to mention there's been a pretty deliberate effort to move sports off of ABC

I'm just speculating that ESPN is under a lot of pressure to control costs since they are losing their non sports fan subscribers (a cool and good thing), and that an expanded playoff is inevitably an extra cost so they're not going to want that.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 8, 2018

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

They found her at Chick-Fil-A.

#itjustmeansmore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Blitz7x posted:

They found her under an overpass and brought her to the Chikfila nearby to check for injuries I think?

Depends on the outlet. One says someone called 911 at the underpass, another says she turned up at Chick-Fil-A and Chick-Fil-A called the police. Nothing is (or will ever be made) official. This whole story is weird and maybe A&M just needs to self-report a secondary violation just for safety's sake.

• Locked thread