Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
God, I hate three of the four teams in the playoffs (that goes whether Ohio State or Alabama makes the cut) and the only team I don't hate, I don't want to win just on principle of not wanting anyone to get back-to-back nattys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

boop the snoot posted:

after the big name bowls what does it really matter

outside of being able to travel to the game, who cares if your team goes to the BP oil spill bowl or the chic fil-a closed on sundays bowl?

The prestige of the bowl game is tied to the quality of opponent you're facing and the quality of your own team. If you're a team that goes bowling almost every year, it can be humiliating to get relegated to the K-Mart Bowl versus the team that came sixth place in the Sun Belt.

The one exception to this is the Bahamas Bowl, where it is awesome to go to even though it's hard for fans to get there and doesn't feature high-profile matchups.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Was it South Carolina that had a player suspended from the Belk Bowl for shoplifting at Belk

Arky
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18372833/belk-bowl-jeremy-sprinkle-suspended-arkansas-razorbacks

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

wernox posted:

People keep ganking the football graphic designers stuff....she's not happy

https://twitter.com/SmashMcCaff/status/937824486107303941

I was about to say "well, it's not something so unique I think it's definitively a copy, they could have come up with the design independently" but then I noticed the line that goes between the logos and the players' necks. Yeah that's blatant.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Auburn and UNC ironing out a deal to play a game that will still be branded as a "Chick-fil-a Kickoff Game", but take place in Week 2 of 2020; someone else will be playing the Kickoff-ier Kickoff game in Week 1.

I should have known this would be the next step once they started having multiple "kickoff games" in one weekend.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Hell yes
Live mascots of schools that rarely get snow playing in the snow is my jam.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I read something about how the next Uga's supposed to be from a different, less genetically hosed-up bulldog line, maybe those ones could frolic freely in the snow.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

It's not, that's the total number of write-ins.

but still lol

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I've had bits of salad stuck in my teeth that are bigger than that.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

LLCoolJD posted:

Your own link reveals they were stopped for speeding. It's really unhelpful, at best, to resort immediately to "driving while black" when a speeding vehicle driving in the night time happens to have a black driver in a state where an entire 1/3 of the population is black.

It looks like a constructive possession case that was too weak to prosecute. :shrug: So, good result I guess. I agree that marijuana should be legalized. I have a similar problem with underage alcohol investigations being conducted when there are unsolved felony cases lingering in our communities. That ends my soapbox.

If he wasn't black, I think it's extremely unlikely they would have searched his car at all, much less thoroughly enough to find that tiny amount of weed.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

DC Murderverse posted:

has there always been a Military Bowl and an Armed Services Bowl? or is it just that one major weapons manufacturer had a bowl and another was like "hey we should have one of those"

Armed Forces Bowl came first, in 2006. Military Bowl came in 2010.
Both had existed for a few years under other, non-military names before getting sponsored by big military contractors.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Wrong thread

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The fact that firing Richt and hiring a Saban crony worked out for Georgia really ticks me off for some reason I can't explain

God, I know, when my team's biggest rival got greedy and fired their coach that was delivering them 9 or 10 wins a year consistently for the last decade and a half in favor of a Saban disciple, I was over the moon. Now, I just feel a kind of impotent rage whenever I think about UGA. I hate that they were vindicated in firing Richt, I hate that their recruiting has exploded and they look to be establishing a juggernaut, I hate that every team I like is full of butterfingered idiots who will always find a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory while every team I don't like is really good, and most of all, I hate that Georgia is both competent and exciting to watch. They don't deserve good football, god drat it, they should be punished for their hubris, not rewarded. I'm mad about football and I'm mad that my irrational hatred of UGA is going to make me cheer for Bama next week.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Crotch Bat posted:

You realize plenty of sane, successful, thriving countries have mandatory conscription, right?

Those countries generally haven't been in an actual war for 70+ years and don't stand any real chance of going to war any time soon (Austria, Finland), or if there is a significant chance of full-on war, it's going to be an existential one (South Korea, Israel). In the US, all of the wars we're fighting and likely to fight in the future are far away and not really crucial to the continued existence of our country or our people.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Sash! posted:

Actually, yes. It was only called Starship Troopers because the script they had was basically a knock off, so they just licensed the book. Verhoeven never read it.

iirc, he read a little bit of it, then quit when he realized it was quasi-fascist garbage and resolved to make the movie as ridiculous and over-the-top as possible to show how stupid the book was.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
While we're talking about rule changes, how about the Schiano plan, replacing kickoffs with the scoring team getting the ball on its own 30 at 4th and 15? Teams would almost always elect to punt, which is safer and imo more interesting than a kickoff, and going for it works out to about the same chance a team has of recovering an onside kick.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

boop the snoot posted:

is gary danielson announcing the national championship game?

i hope so :D

this video is old but awesome
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOk3ne5a9so

Nope, Danielson works for CBS and the national championship game is on ESPN.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Invite UCF to a conference that matters and they're going 7-5 every year.

The AAC this year is better than the Pac-12.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

boop the snoot posted:

UCF needs to join the ACC imho

I'd love that, but Florida State and Miami would probably veto it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

vyst posted:

Alabama and Georgia are literally the foundations of his voting base of course Two Scoops is going to be there.

Inshah'Allah Atlanta will turn Georgia blue... any year now...

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Incoherence posted:

In addition to a meteor falling on the stadium, I'm rooting for some senior who's all out of fucks to give to kneel for the national anthem and stare at the press box the whole time.

God I hope so

I haven't heard much about college players kneeling during the anthem, has it just gone largely unreported or are they not kneeling because coaches have wider latitude to punish them for it unlike in the NFL?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I guess I just don't understand destroying hardware you can display in a case for recruits. Sure you didn't win the thing, but its not like you want to forget you were good enough to get there. Prb Bama don't care tho, but its a mentality I don't understand.

Taking away one trophy isn't going to make Bama's trophy case look all that less impressive.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Behead all so-called GT fans who support UGA in this game

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Emron posted:

I have a lodge meeting tonight that I can’t miss, so I’m going to try to hustle it along so I can get back in time.

What kind of shadowy cabal schedules a meeting at the same time as the gatdamn national championship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

pillsburysoldier posted:

Any outcome where the entire stadium isn't leveled by a meteor is a vast net negative for America

It's a shame, cause it's a nice stadium, but it must be done.

• Locked thread