Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Death to Ohio State

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

The committee meets in Grapevine? poo poo, I can drive down there and start taunting.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

HAHAHA GET hosed OHIO STATE

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

When do the rest of the Bowl announcements roll in?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Looks like NOLA Bowl is North Texas v Troy

gently caress, game is too early for Jeff Wilson to come back for gently caress

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

UCF #12 lmao

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

USC-OSU in the Cotton

gently caress, I wanted PSU

Benne posted:

Washington at No. 11, Cotton Bowl here we come :woof:

Same matchup, wrong Bowl

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Hornibrook v Turnover Chain

I'll take the Chain

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I think Sparty-Wazzu is leagues better than Michigan-SCAR but YMMV

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Komet posted:

Apropos, I went to the Penn State @ Maryland game two weeks ago, and Maryland's athletic department is so poor they have special dispensation to sell beer in the stadium (something I had though was prohibited uniformly in all NCAA games, but I guess not). The stadium as a whole was at least 50-50 Penn State Maryland, and by the late 3rd quarter, with Penn State up 40 points, the last remaining Maryland fans near us were getting more and more obnoxious. They were still drinking beer, and probably had been for like 6+ hours.

At one point, all the backups were in and the Maryland fans were shouting "KILL MCSORLEY" when the QB got tackled. My dad felt compelled to argue with them that Tommy Stevens was in, not Trace McSorley, and I was just thinking to myself "shut the gently caress up, dad, these people are drunk."

I always assumed PSU couldn't sell booze because of PA's insanely retarded liquor laws

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Sash! posted:

How did you think the Eagles, Steelers, Phillies, Pirates, Flyers, Penguins, and 76ers selling beer if it was a state law?

They're not on a college campus. Does Temple sell beer at home games?

Liberty Bowl Bass Pro Shop is great because players can blow their wad at the giant pyramid BPS right down the street?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Dango Bango posted:

Lucas Oil sells alcohol in the club level only for the Big 10 title game. Or at least that was the case in 2013 when I talked the doorman into letting me, a former Miss Nebraska, and her friend in without passes.

You dont have to lie to be cool, my man

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

an adult beverage posted:

I think that's a solid points pick, troy is having their best season in school history and UNT is coming off a blow out loss.

Also lol @ that game being in the Superdome... poo poo's gonna be like 80% empty.

This is also UNT's best season and FAU basically destroyed everyone else this year

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

PSU dismisses Manny Bowen and Irvin Charles for violating team rules

good job dumbasses

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Roll Tide

:smith:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

The fact that firing Richt and hiring a Saban crony worked out for Georgia really ticks me off for some reason I can't explain

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

G-Hawk posted:

Thats a valid opinion. But built in your post here is the assumption that early season matters less, or mid season matters less. Thats how the NFL is setup. I personally do not like the NFL, in part because I think the regular season is boring as poo poo, and the playoffs are a crap shoot. Thats personal taste. But That's not how every sports league is setup. Personally, I want Week 1 to matter exactly as much as Week 11. Consistency over a season matters. The majority of soccer leagues worldwide have a regular season with no playoffs, and see playoffs as a poor way to determine a champion, because in both soccer and football, you can only do 1(or 2, in soccer) game playoffs. Individual games in these 2 sports are NOT a good way to definitively determine who is the better team. The variance is extremely high. UCF beat Auburn today, for example, but i'd bet a lot of money if they played say 7 times, Auburn wins more than UCF does. Maybe i'm wrong, but it doesn't matter, because thats impossible in football. The point being a one off game is not a very good way to decide who is the best team, given most of these games are probably 60/40 who wins.

Of course, the issue is, in soccer leagues, the schedules are entirely balanced. Thats completely impossible in college football. So there isn't a very great way to determine who is the absolute best team. I don't claim I "know" Alabama is the best. I just don't think a bigger playoff would do anything, at all, to determine who is. There is no perfect system, which is why we do this hybrid system, where people compare schedules, people use eye test, people look at games against top competition, look at conference championships. And then the 4 game playoff tries give a little wiggle room to get it wrong. Its not perfect, but it makes for a super entertaining regular season, entertaining bowl games, and entertaining final 3 playoff games.

I agree that FBS teams shouldn't play FCS teams though. But I actually think an expanded playoff would make it more likely teams purposely schedule cupcakes.

I'm of the opinion Week 1 really shouldn't matter at all. We all like to laugh at OSU losing to VT, but that was JT Barrett starting his first game against Bud Foster with an offseason to prepare. If that game was during the back half of the season, when JT had actual reps, OSU wins 59-0. Most teams need a game or two to figure things out

See: Saints, Chargers, etc

UCF smokes Auburn more often than not

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Komet posted:

Dabo has built Clemson into a powerhouse. Saban is the best coach in college football, but Dabo is right behind, with Urban Meyer. Those are maybe the only three teams that can have a rebuilding year and still win 10 or 11 games.

Dabo of all people being a top tier HC is just stupid. He was a goofy WR coach for the longest time and he somehow built bloody Clemson into a juggernaut. There are a lot of football minds smarter than Dabo that wont have his level of success.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Just scrap the ineligible man downfield penalty. There's no need for it anymore.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Emron posted:

If you want an image of the future, imagine a 320 pound offensive tackle blocking a free safety on play action post routes forever

this rules, where do I sign up

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Grittybeard posted:

Not really, unless you want to get rid of ineligible downfield like we were talking about earlier (or make everyone eligible). The formation is how eligible receivers are determined.

I thought that was jersey numbers? As long as the OL is on the LOS, who cares if the WRs are on/off?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Arizona canned RichRod, lamo

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

G-Hawk posted:

its better than the other G5 conferences at the moment but it isn't even close to a P5 conference in depth. I don't think USF or Memphis were very good either but even if they were, its a loving cliff after them

Navy is always a pain to play against
Temple would have been much better if they played Franky Juice from the start
Houston was solid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

He was clearly down

Refs

• Locked thread