Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Proud Christian Mom posted:

gentlemen i have a solution that leaves everyone happy.

clemson
oklahoma
georgia
usc FAU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I think it'd be Clemson/OU pretty easily. Both those teams dropped dumb games to inferior competition; UGA got shithoused.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Let this be a lesson, if you're a blue blood program you shouldn't schedule anyone with a pulse.

UGA won at ND

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Chump Farts posted:

I've watch one SCar game and that was Clemson flogging the poo poo out of them. How are they? Typical Muschamp all defense poo poo offense?

They gave then-#1 Georgia a pretty spry test in Athens, though it was one of those games where UGA outgained USC by a ton but just didn't finish off drives. 24-10 final.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I don’t think this was ever discussed anywhere as a real possibility.

For what it's worth, as UGA was in victory formation Gary was rightfully predicting UGA/OU in the Rose. Dude's loopy. I miss Blackledge as the color guy for #SEConCBS games.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

KKKLIP ART posted:

Fromm can extend drives with his arm when called upon, and he has hit some beautiful mid-deep balls when the receivers don't drop them.

Mecole Hardman learning how to catch passes somewhere midseason has been quite advantageous; he was by far the worst dropsies offender.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Mother of God.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Herm is going to get tongue baths from disgruntled middle-aged faux-centrist white sportswriters the nation over while going 4-8. The losses, of course, will be attributed to saggy jeans and the rap music.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

the mean lunch lady posted:

Speaking of former Oklahoma players, Josh Heupel is UCF's new head coach.

Unfortunately now Mizzou needs a new OC and this might make Drew Lock leave early :smith:

That's a real bummer for the conference as a whole. Mizzou had reached this "fun as hell mediocre team" alchemy that the SEC's middle class was sorely lacking this season.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

UGA gonna win the next 5 nattys

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/ENOUGHSENOUGH24/status/938451051547648002

owns

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Update:

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/KirbySmartUGA/status/938799982706077696

Look at these nerdlingers

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/Mark_Schlabach/status/941337296640593920

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

If RIcht's still coaching at UGA, Patrick is still in jail, along with possibly his parents and the closest Dawg they could find driving a scooter, and the AJC has front page editorials saying that UGA should shut its football program down. One of the benefits of Kirby bringing Saban-esque law enforcement, ahem, relationships to Athens is that these various Sheriff Cletus Q. Racistheauser types have been made to submit. There's a reason why Jimmy Williamson is stepping down.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

KKKLIP ART posted:

So UGA did a thing and actually changed their student athlete substance policy: http://www.11alive.com/article/sports/ncaaf/a-new-future-for-uga-sports-how-new-rules-could-alter-how-athletics-handles-arrests/85-499574468

Previously, any arrest even if it was dropped in court counted as a violation. Now that has apparently been changed, which it is kinda crazy that a not guilty ruling or charges being dropped was still a violation. Kirby getting his way apparently.

Michael Adams became flaccid last night mid-martials and wondered why.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

quote:

The decision marks the end of a 34-year coaching career for Kill, who brought his patented Big Ten style of offense to the Banks. The Scarlet Knights operated with a run-heavy offense under Kill, which resulted in 147 rushing yards per game and played a major role in their 18 points per game average.

:vince:

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Mayfield just gave a presser. Looks like "the flu" was...the flu.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Also Darnold is going to stay, USC will be preseason top 5, whip UNLV in the opener, and then

peoplescreamingonarollercoaster.mp3

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Scott Howard's call was shouty as usual (he's fine, FWIW), but man, to have Munson call that.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Fluffdaddy posted:

Mark Richt would have also taken this team to the championship game

Yes, clearly Richt had no history of making GBS threads the bed against demonstratively inferior Florida/Tennessee teams, and when down multiple scores in a big game, his teams always played with steely resolve and were the kings of comebacks.

Oh, also, alternate universe 2017 Richt-coached UGA doesn't have Jake Fromm, who was run off during recruiting by Brian Schottenheimer. Remember, the guy Richt hired instead of...Lincoln Riley?

It was the right decision for UGA to move on from Richt, and it has benefited both parties. Say it, it's not hard people

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Clemson was the 1 seed in a transitional year, I don't think we've fully grasped how scary that is moving forward

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

MourningView posted:

Watching Stoops use the same defensive sets he used against Big 12 offenses against Georgia's power formations was painful. Michel and Chubb were totally untouched on almost all those big run. That game would have been over way sooner if Georgia had spent less of the first half dicking around with spread looks and trying to get a passing game going.

It's hard to complain about the OC when you outscored the other team in the highest-scoring Rose Bowl in history, but had the Dawgs faltered in OT, that they took half the game to do what they do best against a team unable to stop it would've been questioned forever.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Refs called UGA for a downfield lineman in the '14 Auburn game which was hilarious because 1) it was in an Auburn game but not against Auburn when it was like half their offense at the time and 2) they didn't even get the call right (the UGA OL was all around the LOS).

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

P sure Bama is going to bullshit their way to yet another natty but this isn’t a great matchup for them. They’re incredibly banged up in the front seven and that offense isn’t nearly as dynamic as Oklahoma’s was. I think the main things in their favor are Georgia being drained and pushed to the extreme yesterday and essentially having to miss a practice day because of travel. Bama got to coast and take a three hour bus ride home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTq01Q-zAQM&t=435s

Bama ain't missing that tackle IMO

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Verne/Blackledge was the best SEC on CBS pairing IMO

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

vyst posted:

I miss Todds Taste of the Town

The moment I really knew Saban was building a juggernaut at Bama was the '08 Bama/UGA Blackout game when by the time they actually got to Todd's Taste of the Town, the game was over. Efficient.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

The Dothan Eagle named 'em #1, right?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

happy I have UCF in my life now

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

pillsburysoldier posted:

UCF beat UGA recently too

Yes, they beat 2010 Georgia, which was 6-7, also lost to Dan Hawkins-era Colorado, and nearly got Mark Richt fired the first time. This was the year before Jake Fromm played in the Little League World Series.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

LLCoolJD posted:

Does it make me a bad person to be rooting for a "defensive struggle" in this all-SEC title game? :laugh: I just want to witness the outrage it would produce.

I mean, that's probably what's going to happen. Both teams' defenses are better than their offenses, Rose Bowl of course being a huge outlier for the Dawgs. I'm not particularly bullish on UGA's chances Monday night, so I think it'll resemble this year's Sugar Bowl, though I think UGA will score a TD at least. 27-10, we'll say

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I hope meanwhile, at the SEC Legion of Doom, they're taking into account of how Auburn halfassing the Peach Bowl has cast shadows on the all-SEC natty, and will finally for the first time in recorded human history instruct their officials to call holding occasionally on the Tigers next season. I say make up for lost time and immediately start all Auburn drives half the distance from their own one-foot line until further notice.

quote:

I love the attitude that UCF would have zero chance against UGA or Bama when they handled Auburn who beat both of the aforementioned teams.

Georgia beat Auburn by 21 at a neutral site (with two TDs off the board because of poo poo officiating), UCF beat them by 7. UGA beating UCF by 14 sounds about right to me. This isn't me sniffing my own farts; UGA was pretty great this season. Don't fall into the turn-of-the-century Gonzaga trap where the Zags couldn't just be an awesome mid-major capable of hanging with the big boys, they had to be BETTER THAN ERRRRRRRRYBODY because CINDERELLA RULEZ BABY

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 4, 2018

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Joey Freshwater posted:

Kendrick Lamar is doing halftime. I hope he goes off script.

I *think* Kendrick's performing outside (brrrrr) in Centennial Olympic Park; the Million Dollar and Redcoat bands will be doing the halftime show inside the stadium.

Re: Auburn Games Point Differential: If UCF wants to go back in time and play a full-strength, give-a-poo poo Auburn in Jordan-Hare in November also, I am all for this. As is, enjoy the lulz we troll u trophy, which will absolutely age well

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 4, 2018

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

'08 Utah seemed more legit than '04 Utah IMO

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

IIRC, Kendrick *is* the halftime show for the TV audience; everyone in the stands just gets the bands.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Kendrick's best LP is still his first one, Big Thief had the best album of '17, don't @ me

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I was kidding. (Not about the Big Thief thing, that was true.)

GKMC is indeed actually his best album.

Additionally, drat > TPAB.

https://twitter.com/ESPNUonSiriusXM/status/948948789557161986

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 4, 2018

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Lasagna Pilot posted:

They didn't exceed expectations IMO, people who know what they are talking about and bet on this stuff have had UGA as one of the most talented teams in the country all year.

Sallee pre-season picked them for the title game.

Counterpoint: UGA returned most everyone who almost lost to Nicholls State last season.

RumbleFish posted:

So we promoted Bryan McClendon to the OC gig full time. I'm...really not happy about this, and I'm tired of USC always just making internal moves whenever we have a chance to go out and get a difference-maker. I like B-Mac, but he's literally never been an OC before. This is a huge gamble on Muschamp's part and probably a bad one. Yeah, we won the Michigan game, but looked like absolute poo poo offensively for 2.5 quarters of it. But sure, let's be prisoners of the moment and promote this guy.

Counterpoint: Bryan McClendon is cool and is undefeated as UGA's head coach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

USA Today did one of those dumb little things where they let Twitter randos write the article for them about how Oklahoma's band plays Boomer Sooner a lot. OU's band is taking it in stride...

• Locked thread