Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

And Alabama too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh well. Now we get all the sports writers jerking themselves off about Wisconsin.

Now watch us get paired with UCF.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

At least now I can focus back on the hockey team since the basketball team turned into a tire fire the size of Knoxville right now.

Until the bowl anyway.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

shirts and skins posted:

gently caress tOSU for putting Bama back in the playoff

Wisconsin you had one job

Two of the touchdowns that OSU scored were because of blown tackles.

:cripes:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

OperaMouse posted:

Why does Bama have more rights than Wisconsin? They both lost to the only decent team they played, but undefeated otherwise. At least the Badgers lost to a 2 loss team instead of a 3 one, and made it to its conference final.

Because ~Alabama~.

That's it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Smiling Mandrill posted:

No way Bama gets in over OSU. OSU is a cleaner less messy route for the committee, and they still get big time money.

I'll take OSU over Bama.

Because gently caress Bama more.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hmmmm...

Alabama played a soft as gently caress schedule and lost against its only competition.

So did Wisconsin.

:thunk:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Crotch Bat posted:

UGA and Clemson's fanbases were identical until last year because it was two groups of people huffing fumes on the success of what happened 30 years ago. Bama is Bama. OU isn't even in the same stratosphere as the other three.

e: UGA and Clemson fans were mostly just self-hating, which is an A+ fanbase quality.

Three words:

Big Game Bob.

Also, credit to OU, they transitioned pretty well, though you can argue that it was on Stoops' recruiting.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

You can have beer at the Kohl Center...

If you're in the luxury boxes :negative:

(Camp Randall is probably the same way too)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

an adult beverage posted:

Not to get all Karl Marx in here but the "alcohol only in suites" thing is such classist bullshit. "The filthy cheap seat plebs can't have any alcohol lest they create a ruckus". Not realizing everybody is getting loaded in the parking lot or smuggling it in.

I think it's more "they can get it catered in" more than anything.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Navy is Under Armor, but agreed. They do some really good work. The shine has faded from the game in the national spotlight, but for them it means a lot.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Herm is going to crater that program what a collosally bad hire. One of the worst hires in recent memory.

Worse than Butch or Mac?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Thoguh posted:

I feel like this guy typed that with one hand.

:stonklol:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:stonk:

But why do I get a feeling that nothing ultimately will happen.

Oh right, the endless other cases where nothing has ultimately happened until it became an epidemic on campus.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dango Bango posted:

Did that reporter really need to post images of the complaint and all the graphic details?

Yes, and I mean it.

Maybe people should feel disgusted that this poo poo happens instead of shrugging and going "Boys will be boys".

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

kayakyakr posted:

Rhett Bomar did a thing that could get OU in trouble with the NCAA. The NCAA doesn't care about women anyone being raped, though.

Fixed that for you :smith:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Found the auburn fan

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Benne posted:

Army-Navy Snow Football today, be still my beating heart :allears:

And Army is wearing 10th Mountain Division uniforms.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Who's the other team this year?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Those FSU unis are trash

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I know op-eds are a thing but jesus christ on a crutch.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

runnin the dang ball like God intended

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:chloe:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dilber posted:

As a reminder, anyone that bets on the orange bowl tonight is betting on whether idiot savant Rosier shows up or just regular idiot Rosier.

Or how many times Hornibrook throws it into the hands of a Miami d-back unprompted.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dilber posted:

What's the over for turnovers?

all of them

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dilber posted:

As a reminder, anyone that bets on the orange bowl tonight is betting on whether idiot savant Rosier shows up or just regular idiot Rosier.

Looks like idiot savant Alex Hornibrook showed up :shepface:

Also.

Attention CFP committee.

you can eat my whole rear end.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

iospace posted:

Attention CFP committee.

you can eat my whole rear end.

Also, this is co-signed the entire big ten.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DriveC posted:

*clears throat*

Ahem

Bucky Bitch

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

the mean lunch lady posted:

I would hope both Georgia and Alabama would lose today, but Georgia is playing Oklahoma and FUCKKKKK Oklahoma

gently caress conference solidarity

Counterpoint

gently caress the SEC

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I’d say that by the NCG they were most definitely better. LSU needed a bunch of help from special teams miscues and heroic defensive plays to eek out a 3 point overtime win in the first game. Sometimes better teams lose to worse teams.

This whole argument started because someone said those weren’t the two “best” teams. If you accept that LSU was one of the two best teams in the country then how does Bama beating them convincingly not make Bama the best team? Why is the first game the authentic measure of the best team? Was Georgia or Auburn better this year?

It’s pointless to try and pick the two best teams out of 120 teams who only play a dozen games each. Bama keeps getting second chances because the issue gets framed as finding the best teams and not the most deserving teams based on some fixed criteria. The NFL playoff teams are rarely the six best teams from each conference, but no one cares, because they know the rules.

And here lies the problem. The BCS was a step in the metaphorical right direction. So is the 4-team playoff. But right now we have an undefeated UCF and a Wisconsin team that only lost to Ohio State. Alabama didn't even win its conference.

The selection is a black box by design, as was the BCS. The committee looks at the teams and decides who would get the best ratings. That's why Alabama got in in the first place, ratings. Nothing more, nothing less. They played NO ONE this season. The SEC was a flaming pile of trash this year except Bama, Auburn, and UGA.

It's very telling that ESPN quickly dropped the bowl record narrative as a sign of strength when the SEC started sucking in the bowls.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh, and Wisconsin beat Miami at their home.

Big Ten only lost one bowl game. The SEC will have a losing record.

And Group of Five teams won't get scheduled because Power 5 teams are afraid of unearthing the next Boise State.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Crotch Bat posted:

Be super glad D3 isn't FBS and Mount Union isn't Bama. The stranglehold they've had on D3 for 25 loving years is nothing short of amazing or hatefully absurd depending on whether you're a UMU fan or not. Imagine if Bama ruled like this for almost 3 decades and won titles literally half the time.

Oh gods, yeah, UMU is worse (UW-Whitewater was the only team that seems to have given them a challenge).

The only thing they have on Bama is they don't have the insufferable fanbase.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

G-Hawk posted:

I agree that FBS teams shouldn't play FCS teams though. But I actually think an expanded playoff would make it more likely teams purposely schedule cupcakes.

Alabama scheduled cupcakes this year (FSU being retroactively one).

It worked.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Raku posted:

A big issue was also UCF's schedule. Yeah, they're a group of five team, but their power 5 opponents were Georgia Tech (a game which was cancelled) and Maryland. So they were undefeated but never had a chance to show how good they were versus top 10 competition, which is definitely more important if you're a group of five team that loving sucked very recently. In contrast, Auburn had two drat losses but almost got into the playoff because they would have beaten the #1 team in the country twice in a row

The problem is with a G5 that's known to be good becomes a double edged sword. They want to schedule P5 teams that are perceived as good, but no one wants to play you because the P5 doesn't want to end up getting beat by a G5 team.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJExile posted:

and Wisconsin vs. Western Michigan, a Cotton Bowl game that even the most ardent Badger fan probably forgot to watch.

I watched it :mad:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Pro-tip: don't ever root for Georgia.

Counterpoint: gently caress Nick Saban and Alabama.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

pillsburysoldier posted:

in accelerationist news, TAMU may be offering Aranda $2.5 - $3.0 million for the DC position

Still won't make them less rear end.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

D.N. Nation posted:

IIRC, Kendrick *is* the halftime show for the TV audience; everyone in the stands just gets the bands.

That's loving dumb.

Give me the bands.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

vikingstrike posted:

If the NCAA ignores what UCF is doing, then I think it will exist only for goons to troll UGA/Bama fans, etc. The official record will almost certainly be the playoff winner, with UCF maybe added as a note.

I couldn't care less about what UCF does, and think it's a beautiful troll to the system, which will likely be expanded to 8 teams sometime soon after this year. I've watched enough UGA football over my life that they couldn't ruin it for me making it this far.

The NCAA doesn't actually sanction the playoff.

It never even sanctioned the BCS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Fun facts: this is the true NCAA Division-I Championship. As in the NCAA sanctions this.

• Locked thread