Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Anthony Miller should be a first round pick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

G-Hawk posted:

I disagree. Do you think, if any of the teams that played each other today played each other 10 times, one team would win all 10? Probably not. Maybe one team wins 6, 7, perhaps in a rare case 8. Its just an issue of probability. One game isn't a good way to determine who is better at a sport. Sports involve luck and variance. A series of one off games, which is what a football playoff is, will not be very good at determining the best team. Because the hypothetical "best team" likely only has around a 60-70% chance to win each game. Its nothing "magical", an entire season is just a larger sample size.

I do think this is a flaw, but the current system handles this better by its relentless focus on strength of schedule.

This is getting into pure semantics. I don't think the most recent result is a way to determine who the best team is. Underdogs win sometimes, and thats great, but it doesn't make them a better team.

Given how much I love watching college football, yes? Why would you not see primarily the same teams be good? If they have the same coaches, continue to have good recruiting classes, its pretty much what you would expect. And its an exaggeration to act as if no one ever rises or falls. See FSU this year. Even Alabama hasn't been some thousand year reign. A playoff does not reduce variance, it increases it, because you're relying on a series of individual games, rather than a season's body of work.

Whats a better way to determine a good field goal kicker, ask people to kick as many as they can make in a row, or ask them all to kick 100 and see what the percentage comes out to? Its obviously the latter. And while a season isn't 100 games, and the difference in strength of schedule makes judging teams harder, a longer season is going to give you a more accurate idea of a team than a single game.

I'm pro banning FCS scheduling.

Don’t FCS programs get a comical amount of money for offering their heads on a silver platter to bigger schools?

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/ucfdannywhite/status/948653201406021633

Cool lol

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

PostNouveau posted:

Sweet. If only I knew Bama/Georgia fans I could wear it around. Will it piss off LSU fans, you think?

If you wear it, Bama fans will come. They’re omnipresent

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
It’s always the drat strength and conditioning coach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/yg/status/949045382696206336
I’m really excited to see what Kung Fu Kenny does