Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
This is always fun. This year's bowl gift list:

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Special-Content/2017/12/Bowl-gifts.aspx

Winners:
- Fiesta Bowl: PS4 PRO
- Peach Bowl: $300 Visa gift card + stuff
- Alamo Bowl: Amazon Echo + $175 Amazon gift card + stuff

Losers:
- AutoNation Cure Bowl: unbranded watch, backpack, some clothes
- New Era Pinstripe Bowl: variety of New Era poducts
- Liberty Bowl: ~$350 Bass Pro Shops shopping trip + lovely watch, nike shoes, sandals, backpack, and football.

The gift suite is ever present and a total tossup on the value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

an adult beverage posted:

Have they always had different prizes for winners/losers? I thought everyone got the same gift bag for making the bowl.

I'm talking about the good gifts and the bad, not actual winners/losers.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Thoguh posted:

$350 at Bass Pro is pretty sweet, actually. It isn't like all they sell is guns and tree stands.

Oh, I've been to Bass pro plenty of times. They've got hunting/fishing gear, clothes, and some recreational stuff. With ISU and Memphis being in the game, I'm sure some of it will appeal to the players. Mostly, I just wanted to make fun of the Liberty bowl.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Crotch Bat posted:

Yea, the simple solution is an indefinite suspension now and depending on how things turn out you either invite him back or remove him from the team.

This is how Tech handled heir apparent QB Jett Duffey. He was accused of rape and suspended. Charges weren't filed, but his university title IX hearing determined that he would have a 1 year school suspension. He wasn't allowed on campus during that time and was obviously suspended from the football team. He was allowed back on campus this summer and was reinstated to the team in the fall.

Investigation and punishment was handled separate the team and he was treated as any other student would have been, which I think is appropriate.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Stoops was inconsistent, at best. He also booted Rhett Bomar immediately for driving a car from a dealership and drinking a beer at a Thunder game.

Like Oklahoma's performance in big games, I hope things are different, and better, under Riley.

Rhett Bomar did a thing that could get OU in trouble with the NCAA. The NCAA doesn't care about women being raped, though.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Joey Freshwater posted:

https://twitter.com/_2ERA_/status/939248215202951168

No no no, it's TWO in the pink, ONE in the stink

Is that supposed to be a UT-related hand sign?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Joey Freshwater posted:

Yes, pointer and middle finger are the V, the ring finger and thumb touching is the O and the pinky is the L. They’re holding their hands wrong, should be palm out so you can see ring/thumb.

Yes it’s dumb as hell and the only people I see doing it are coaches

Ah, that's pretty dumb. Leave the hand signs to the old SWC schools, tywm.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

MourningView posted:

People like watching from midfield more because it’s easier to see if they make a first down and poo poo. It’s why they shoot tv from that angle.

Endzones are superior viewing angles. People will come around to that.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Endzone from row 1 is the best.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Don't know if this got posted up somewhere else, but I love this kinda poo poo:

https://twitter.com/TTUKingsbury/status/942879981557952513

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Texas Tech receiver Keke Coutee declared for the draft. Best player on the offense this year. Means that only one of Tech's top 6 receivers is returning.

Will be interesting to see what the receiving corps does to replace him. We've got a number of players waiting in the wings.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Alamo Bowl is always fun. I'll be there as I am every year, rooting against the Big XII (since Tech will never make another Alamo Bowl). 1st row endzone right by the Stanford "band".

Go trees! gently caress a frog!

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
The Alamo Bowl was a lot of fun. I was disappointed in my lack of boos when I got on the big screen with the giant double-t logo on my sweater. The USC guy got a whole bunch of boos. Freakin' TCU.

(Patterson's gotten really fat.)

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

This was pretty glorious. People didn't realize what was going on until the line, "Texas is so small, that building a wall along the entire 1900 miles of the southern border would only pay for the college education of 20 million students."

No one knew what was going on, but the stupid bastards figured out that it was certainly anti-trump.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
necro of a side topic, but:

Pakled posted:

iirc, he read a little bit of it, then quit when he realized it was quasi-fascist garbage and resolved to make the movie as ridiculous and over-the-top as possible to show how stupid the book was.

I always took the book as satirizing that ultra-nationalist mindset. Heinlein was doing most of his writing in the red-scare era and loved to play around with different aspects of politics during that time. I took starship troopers to be a parable about where we would go if you took the anti-communist (or these days, anti-immigrant) mindset too far.

Heinlein's writings, to me, were always more about his present than any sort of future and were always designed to challenge the views of his peers. The societies he describes are sometimes egalitarian and sometimes uncomfortable. His later stuff tends to explore sexuality more and more (as anti-communism winds down) which leads to some uncomfortable writings where non-monogamy, polyamory, incest, and pedophilia all feature to some degree as well rigid monogamy.

About the only thing that features in all of Heinlein's writing is tendency toward strong individualism in his characters. That's the only thing of his that I take to be "writer's own views".

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I'm really not excited about this game. Like, I might not even watch it. Meh.

• Locked thread