Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Barry Bannan would massively improve our midfield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

sassassin posted:

Barry Bannan would massively improve our midfield.

don't you guys play leroy fer in midfield?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

don't you guys play leroy fer in midfield?

He gets a game once a month when everyone forgets how loving poo poo he is.

Tom Carroll was nothing special in the Championship. Ki is off in January. Leon needs to dust off his boots and get back in the game.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
https://imgtc.com/w/LYMwV7J

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Spectacular.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

they couldnt make a loving super mario tifo worse than this

Craiglen
Sep 2, 2006
Jack Wilshere is a loving jumped up oval office. I'm not having this guff about him suddenly being a decent player again just because he's started 4 games without breaking in half. He belongs in the conference.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Craiglen posted:

Jack Wilshere is a loving jumped up oval office. I'm not having this guff about him suddenly being a decent player again just because he's started 4 games without breaking in half. He belongs in the conference.

He doesn’t have it anymore. He had nearly a whole season at burnley where he was healthy, just okay, and not a nailed-on starter. I’m not sure why everyone expected him to become what he was at 19 again this year.

He has to be the player whose career Wenger has most thoroughly ruined.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

It was Bournemouth but you're not wrong.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

He's decent but he was never going to be a world beater and especially not with his injuries, Wenger didn't ruin him

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Bogan Krkic posted:

He's decent but he was never going to be a world beater and especially not with his injuries, Wenger didn't ruin him

It was Wengy that ran him into the ground and caused him to pick up a bunch of weird stress injuries. He was played every match as a teenager for like two years, then he fell apart and came back worse

Shrapnig posted:

It was Bournemouth but you're not wrong.

Stupid B names

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
He played 35 games in one season, boobie. That's hardly running them into the ground.

Craiglen
Sep 2, 2006

blue footed boobie posted:

He has to be the player whose career Wenger has most thoroughly ruined.

There's a hell of a lot of competition for that honour.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Jose Mourinho continues to be butthurt.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42514486

Also lol "Lukaku needs a rest, he's tired but I can't afford to give him a rest"

Yeah run your best striker into the ground...That sounds like a great idea

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Isn't My Boy (R) Zlatan healthy yet?

I know he had his knee Zlataned, but I thought he'd Zlataned enough that he was ready to Zlatan?

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Isn't My Boy (R) Zlatan healthy yet?

I know he had his knee Zlataned, but I thought he'd Zlataned enough that he was ready to Zlatan?

They just don't dare to Zlatan. Yet.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

CyberPingu posted:

Jose Mourinho continues to be butthurt.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42514486

Also lol "Lukaku needs a rest, he's tired but I can't afford to give him a rest"

Yeah run your best striker into the ground...That sounds like a great idea

Great thing to hear if you're one of the other strikers at the club, Martial, Rashford, *checks notes*, Wilson??

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Vinestalk posted:

He played 35 games in one season, boobie. That's hardly running them into the ground.

For club and country he played over 50 games in one season, at 18/19, most of those were starts, it was a crazy thing to do to a promising talent.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Martial deserves a run at striker IMO

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Ninpo posted:

For club and country he played over 50 games in one season, at 18/19, most of those were starts, it was a crazy thing to do to a promising talent.

Yep. He played basically every game he was healthy for. Everyone knew it was stupid at the time, and I remember Wengy talking about being worried about overusing him as he was grinding him into a fine paste.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Wenger didn't run Wilshere into the ground you morons. Some players are just prone to injuries.

Wilshere was always overhyped anyway. He was a good player that offered something different to most English central midfielders in that he had a good short passing game and could play the ball in tight situations (these are a dime a dozen in Spain). I'd argue that if anything Wenger made him into the player he was anyway by instigating that style of play at youth level.

Anyway, he's dead now and he's not coming back. Embrace Livermore and accept hoofball.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Ewar Woowar posted:

Wenger didn't run Wilshere into the ground you morons. Some players are just prone to injuries.

Wilshere was always overhyped anyway. He was a good player that offered something different to most English central midfielders in that he had a good short passing game and could play the ball in tight situations (these are a dime a dozen in Spain). I'd argue that if anything Wenger made him into the player he was anyway by instigating that style of play at youth level.

Wilshere developer a lot of injuries related to stress and overuse that were common to Arsenal players in that period. He was also a more dynamic and complete midfielder before the injuries.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Ninpo posted:

This is basically what happens to every promising young championship talent, they play every minute of every game and when it comes to the next season they end up battered and it stalls their development

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
England is the only place where people think not playing makes you better just lmao

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
If only there were a middle ground between "starting every match at age 19" and "never playing ever"

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
Pulisic is doing just fine over in Germany and he’s been playing almost constantly

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Reprisal posted:

Pulisic is doing just fine over in Germany and he’s been playing almost constantly

He's actually missed a bunch of matches this season with muscle injuries and been rested a few times as well.

Also saying X player is playing all the time and he's fine is a pretty dumb comparison.

There are plenty of players who play nearly every match when they're 18-20 and don't have any issues. Others can't handle the workload or are just physiologically are going to have injury issues.

Alex Ferguson said a few years ago that he wouldn't sign Jordan Henderson because his gait made him prone to injury and he would miss a lot of matches. Guess what happened.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
remember when wayne rooney peaked at 26

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Eau de MacGowan posted:

remember when wayne rooney peaked at 26

But he keeps scoring goals.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Ninpo posted:

I agree that's a lot of games, but I think that just illustrates that a lot of people were culpable, not just Wenger. And to draw another comparison, Wayne Rooney played in 36 games for United at age 20 (48 total for the year). It might be crazy, but there are certain players who do it. Wilshire was unlucky and he is just brittle.

Shrapnig posted:

Also saying X player is playing all the time and he's fine is a pretty dumb comparison.

Shrapnac, while I agree with you that some people are just loving injury prone (which I think is exactly what Wilshire is), I disagree with this point. There's got to be some standard you use to say "Yeah, he's injured a lot," and that just happens to be the other players in the league.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

He's doubling down on the "Poor underdog and skint Utd" angle.

https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/946871158435123200?s=17

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Huw Jenkins has given a very self serving interview that he organised lol

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
It must be very motivational to the United players that mourinho keeps saying that they're not good enough lmao

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

TheBigAristotle posted:

Martial deserves a run at striker IMO

I liked the 3-4-1-2 they did for a bit with Martial and Lukaku as strikers and Lingard playing behind. Even Lindelof looked good in that system!

Since they went back to Mourinho's normal 4-2-3-1 for the City game their results have gone to poo poo.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I can’t wait to spot Big Van Dijk in the directors box today.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

CyberPingu posted:

He's doubling down on the "Poor underdog and skint Utd" angle.

https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/946871158435123200?s=17

I'm fairly sure he's done this in every job he's had for the last decade, completely coincidentally as the transfer window is just about to open

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Xabi posted:

I can’t wait to spot Big Van Dijk in the directors box today.

I didn't realise ur mam got invited

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

cool

https://twitter.com/PreeAaron/status/947260690947026944

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

FullLeatherJacket posted:

I'm fairly sure he's done this in every job he's had for the last decade, completely coincidentally as the transfer window is just about to open

Ronaldo is coming home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
That Boom sure didn’t last long. Even for the third one of the season.

• Locked thread