Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I do enjoy this game starting with blowing the gently caress out of my hometown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Gonna be honest here, there's a lot of story beats in this game that I think don't work or are weaker and less thought out than the previous games. The original ending, and honestly the ending update, are still the worst part of it but the quality of writing as a whole is very mixed in this game in my opinion. There's a lot of little things that feel awkward/tacked on or contradictory to previous games that get overshadowed by just how truly awful the original ending was so I feel they didn't get as much attention for their own lack of quality.

Also the fourth possible ending is dumb and literally the writers saying if you don't want to engage in our stupid story we're just going to ignore you.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 5, 2017

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I love that Butts Shepard is still a follower of the ABC school of combat.
Always Be Charging

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Ah yes, let's end the update on the least practical piece of armour ever conceived; the boobplate.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Thesaya posted:

Ah yes, let's end the update on the least practical piece of armour ever conceived; the boobplate.

*extremely nasal voice*
No you see it's made of a composite alloy and

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Second least, the boobplate with exposed cleavage is worse. :cripes:

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
We put our best science and engineering teams on making the best boobplate possible.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Dance Officer posted:

We put our breast science and engineering teams on making the best boobplate possible.

Justicars don't adhere to your silly science and engineering. Cleavage is kept in check using biotic fields.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Well. I mean, yes?

In universe the way weapons are designed and mass effect shields function, the armor is there mostly as a shield against the environment and to augment your own natural abilities via biotic amps, servo-assists, etc. Doesn't excuse the fact that they give shepherd boobplate, but does explain why half your team in ME2 looked like they were severely underdressed.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I do like how they provided options for all the characters to have different levels of armor, even Liara and Ash have relatively heavy-looking armor options

James just looks like a loving tank.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

MA-Horus posted:

Justicars don't adhere to your silly science and engineering. Cleavage is kept in check using biotic fields.

It seems you didn't get the joke.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Dance Officer posted:

It seems you didn't get the joke.

And you didn't see the edit I made to your post :)

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Kibayasu posted:

I do enjoy this game starting with blowing the gently caress out of my hometown.
Well at least now the Vancouver housing market is affordable.

Thesaya posted:

Poil posted:

Second least, the boobplate with exposed cleavage is worse. :cripes:
Chainmail bikini :colbert:

Depending on how much time I have I might get an update out today, if not then tomorrow. Now that we're not running around in jail pajamas you'll get to see some proper ME3 vanguarding.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The encumbrance system was one of the best things to happen to this game.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

SubponticatePoster posted:

Chainmail bikini :colbert:
True but I don't consider that to even be armor. It offers less protection than simply wearing some wool clothing. :spergin:

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Poil posted:

True but I don't consider that to even be armor. It offers less protection than simply wearing some wool clothing. :spergin:

But what is, if a space wizard warped by and enchanted that bikini with some shiny mass effect fields?

It will never not amuse me how much aesthetic bullshit you could cover with the mass effect brand science-magic.

Sair
May 11, 2007

I appreciate that the strongest gun in the galaxy is ramming your face into things.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Considering Shepard's face is full of metal and implants, this is true.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
The M-8 might not be the best gun in the game but it is one of the sexiest guns in the series. :colbert:

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

MA-Horus posted:

And you didn't see the edit I made to your post :)

oops

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Condoleezza Nice! posted:

The M-8 might not be the best gun in the game but it is one of the sexiest guns in the series. :colbert:

Bioware agree. So much so that it's going to be dropped into our inventories whether we like it or not in half of the cutscenes.

That was actually a thing that jarred me, since I remember in Mass Effect 2 one of the dev diaries specifically called attention to how Shepard's weapons and armor carried into the cutscenes. Seems the game's rushed development meant that they defaulted to Predator and Avenger.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The M-7 Lancer with a mag extension is the only weapon most classes need, except maybe a light SMG with a power-amp on it.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Kurieg posted:

The M-7 Lancer with a mag extension is the only weapon most classes need, except maybe a light SMG with a power-amp on it.

Once you get higher level ultra light components, there's no reason to not carry an SMG

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

So, so, so happy to see this! Glad you're back, SP.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

God, watching one video makes me want to play this whole stupid series all over again.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Captain Lavender posted:

God, watching one video makes me want to play this whole stupid series all over again.

Especially with those hi-rez packs released for PC now, goddammit.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Mars needs women

Off to Mars. Turns out Cerberus is here for some reason as well, and they're killing pretty much everyone. I'd say this is out of character, but then we remember the first game and nope, it's more back to business as usual. Kaiden is being a whiny bitch and we yell at him, then run into our girlfriend executing some grunts like nobody's business. I guess we rubbed off on her ( :pervert: ). Apparently there's some weapon that the Protheans designed and TIM wants the plans, for reasons. We'll have to hustle our buns to try and make it before they do. Also the weird looking scientist is a sleeper Cerberus agent to nobody's surprise.

This episode is kinda short, but after recording the full thing it was nearly an hour and this was a sensible stopping point, so we'll finish up next time.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Apparently there's some weapon that the Protheans designed
It's very convenient that the plans are right there on Mars, and someone just happened to come across them when the writers galaxy most desperately needed a way to get rid of the Reapers. Shepard couldn't find those plans in the previous game to set up the final installment, of course, because we can't have a protagonist whose actions move the overall plot forward. Besides, she was too busy playing grabass with bugmen and then getting herself sentenced into plot jail.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Kaiden is being a whiny bitch and we yell at him
You're going to Mars to do something but Cerberus is there murdering everyone and Kaiden thinks it's convenient? Why couldn't we let both of them get nuked back in the first game? Can we shove him out of an airlock at least?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Poil posted:

You're going to Mars to do something but Cerberus is there murdering everyone and Kaiden thinks it's convenient? Why couldn't we let both of them get nuked back in the first game? Can we shove him out of an airlock at least?

At least he has the sense to sit in the corner like a good boy when Shepard and Liara have their touching moment. :v:
I hated Kaiden back when he was still Carth, and I ditch his passive aggressive rear end as fast as possible in every playthrough of every Bioware game he's in

Aaaaand the Scorpion is part 2 of my favorite glitch in the series. In my second run of ME3, I accidentally put the next section of the game into an infinite loop after using that same table you ended on. The Scorpion doesn't have enough alpha damage to stop the T-800 and I kept dying again and again

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

The Door Frame posted:

I accidentally put the next section of the game into an infinite loop after using that same table you ended on. The Scorpion doesn't have enough alpha damage to stop the T-800 and I kept dying again and again
That'll teach you to try to mess with the cool action scenes the writer came up with!

The next section is extra stupid if you're a vanguard.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Doc Morbid posted:

That'll teach you to try to mess with the cool action scenes the writer came up with!

The next section is extra stupid if you're a vanguard.

I'm assuming she won't even stumble when charged?

As a rule, everything in this game taking place within primarily human locations or focused on human NPCs is terrible. It's actually impressive to think that nearly every story beat that focuses on humankind is so universally bad in ME3, since retaining humanity was the theme of the entire last game. Which we experienced as part of a human separatist movement, with almost half of our party being humans

E: Cortez is pretty good though

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Dec 8, 2017

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The Reapers have a huge hateboner for humans for some reason.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Dreadwroth posted:

Presumably since a human (more or less) managed to derail pretty much all of their plans up to this point.

Don't know bout you, but I could easily see them taking that personally.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Doc Morbid posted:

It's very convenient that the plans are right there on Mars, and someone just happened to come across them when the writers galaxy most desperately needed a way to get rid of the Reapers. Shepard couldn't find those plans in the previous game to set up the final installment, of course, because we can't have a protagonist whose actions move the overall plot forward. Besides, she was too busy playing grabass with bugmen and then getting herself sentenced into plot jail.
Now it isn't inconceivable that the Protheans hid the stuff there hoping we'd find it in the next cycle, but ugh so many stupid plot holes. I'm annoyed that they totally forgot ignored the Leviathan of Dis/Klendagon and the derelict Reaper. So we have proof positive of a weapon that can kill a Reaper, it's powerful enough to shoot a goddamned hole in a planet, and we know from 2 they were able to trace its trajectory. Soooo...maybe find that loving thing that we know works, reverse engineer a shitload of them, and then go to town?

Dreadwroth posted:

This at least has been addressed. Remember at the end of 2 when they're racing back to the Normandy Harbinger tells Shep she has their attention. And they were making a human reaper. Basically loving up Sovereign put us at the top of the Reapers' 10 most wanted.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

No, no guns. They only have the only 2 confirmed reaper kills ever. Space magic will save us

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

The Door Frame posted:

No, no guns. They only have the only 2 confirmed reaper kills ever. Space magic will save us
Shepard sighed as she drew her katana.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Did they ever fix the issue where you literally can not kill the final enemy of this mission if you take a weapon that fires too slow? Like, say, some of the fancy DLC or NG+ weapons they just gave you the option of equipping? :v:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

Did they ever fix the issue where you literally can not kill the final enemy of this mission if you take a weapon that fires too slow? Like, say, some of the fancy DLC or NG+ weapons they just gave you the option of equipping? :v:

I think you only die 2 or 3 times now, because the game wants you to know that your customization in this RPG has ruined their set piece

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Now it isn't inconceivable that the Protheans hid the stuff there hoping we'd find it in the next cycle, but ugh so many stupid plot holes. I'm annoyed that they totally forgot ignored the Leviathan of Dis/Klendagon and the derelict Reaper. So we have proof positive of a weapon that can kill a Reaper, it's powerful enough to shoot a goddamned hole in a planet, and we know from 2 they were able to trace its trajectory. Soooo...maybe find that loving thing that we know works, reverse engineer a shitload of them, and then go to town?
It would've been interesting to see what would have happened if BioWare had used and refined Drew Karpyshyn's original ideas for the story. To be fair, I think it was around this time that Karpyshyn was infected by some sort of alien brain parasite and wrote The Old Republic: Revan, which was so awful it retroactively ruined both KotOR and KotOR II, so I'm not sure how much of an improvement his stuff would've been.

quote:

This at least has been addressed. Remember at the end of 2 when they're racing back to the Normandy Harbinger tells Shep she has their attention. And they were making a human reaper. Basically loving up Sovereign put us at the top of the Reapers' 10 most wanted.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if the actual reason was that EA wanted an increased focus on Earth and humans from ME2 onward, because it sells better than all this dumb alien bullshit. :v: (I may or may not be overly cynical about this)