Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.
I'm not up on the drama of the series, and I've only seen the game through these LPs but is it me or is the acting feel more wooden in this game - the characters look a bit weird as well...

Getting on board for the ME3 train in any case!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I didn't want to bring up the dumb human Reaper, goddamn that thing was silly.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

auzdark posted:

I'm not up on the drama of the series, and I've only seen the game through these LPs but is it me or is the acting feel more wooden in this game - the characters look a bit weird as well...

Getting on board for the ME3 train in any case!
I dunno, I feel like in 3 the main VAs have all settled into their roles and seem to be having a bit of fun - if you want a great example of wooden go back to the first hour of ME1. Since you don't know the game, there is a DLC that is all sorts of wonderful we'll be going through (and I mean that sincerely) where people really get to cut loose.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

auzdark posted:

is it me or is the acting feel more wooden in this game - the characters look a bit weird as well...
I thought the opening was particularly bad. All I could see was a person entering the recording booth alone and reading the lines on the paper given to them and when they're done the next person goes through the same and the sound people just glue the sentences together afterwards.

You might compare it to in movies when people are obviously trying to react to something that's happening on a green screen except that the actors don't see or hear anything beyond a guy saying "now" in a studio. Feels really forced and obviously fake.

Poil fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 10, 2017

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Where da :filez: at

Finishing up Mars. We fight a bunch of dudes, find out Cerberus has gone back to their ME1 days by zombifying their own people, and take a bumpy train ride. Then we get a visit from our former patron. He's looking kind of :stonk: these days. I guess he took the loss of his ship, employees, and AI a bit rough. He also reveals his next brilliant plan: controlling the Reapers. Yes, I'm sure that trying to control the giant machines who can brainwash entire species is a brilliant plan. You'll get that side dialogue option a few times throughout the game, and if you don't take it, you miss out on the "best" option with him at the end of the game.

Then we engage in an extremely stupid "chase" against the evil doctor. Except you can't really do anything to her and she always stays ahead of you. However vanguard charging your way through it is not only funny but also speeds the thing up considerably so we have that going for us. James can't drive, the lady is a robit, and Kaiden gets his face smashed in. We get back on the Normandy and Hackett gives us the worst order ever. Then off to the Citadel so Kaiden can get his brain damage fixed (we hope). Bailey is now sort of important but doesn't seem to happy in his new job, though it's nice to see him.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
It never occurred to me until I saw Kaiden's barrier bug out in the cut scenes, but there's at least 2 really strong biotics in this sequence, often 3. Kaiden himself accidentally killed a man when he was a teen for assaulting his friend, so why did no one fling the T-800 into orbit?

E: I know she's Dr. Eva, but I keep calling her the T-800 because this escape sequence is just a bad rip off of the fuel truck scene in Terminator 1. An android infiltrator is a cool concept, but instead she's literally a terminator, which sucks

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 10, 2017

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
After James' rad entrance, Kaiden looks like even more of a lame pud.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Do they ever even attempt to explain how Cerberus has suddenly managed to build a robot that can believably pose as a human, because that should be far beyond their resources (granted, I don't know how much it costs to build a unique robot like that in the Mass Effect universe, but it seems like it would be a lot, and doesn't Cerberus have more important projects to sink money into?) and capabilities*? "Cerberus is awesome and has Reaper Tech(tm)" does not count as an explanation.

*yes, I realize Cerberus in ME3 has infinite resources and can do anything because they're now Saturday morning cartoon villains (and have Reaper Tech(tm), of course)

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 10, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That chase sequence was so bad. GTA San Andreas levels of bad. :barf:

At least the robutt lady had good taste in weak targets. But trying to force some dramatic scene doesn't work if the character is just some whiny unlikable dumbass you'd rather didn't survive.

Also the reapers are already on Earth doing their thing. Isn't it already way too late to send any help? It'll be a tomb world in a matter of hours from an invasion like that. (and they somehow made it from deep space outside the galaxy straight into the Sol system without anyone noticing a thing? lol :rolleyes: )

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Ash is no different in 3, she gives the same speech and all that. And gets her face smashed in too. I used to kill Kaiden in every playthrough until 3 came out, and Ashley is so completely useless and boring in it she now has permanent bomb duty. When you're thinking Kaiden sucks, remember he's the better option :stonk:

Poil posted:

Also the reapers are already on Earth doing their thing. Isn't it already way too late to send any help? It'll be a tomb world in a matter of hours from an invasion like that. (and they somehow made it from deep space outside the galaxy straight into the Sol system without anyone noticing a thing? lol :rolleyes: )
It took the Reapers centuries to wipe out the Protheans. Apparently this cycle sucks and it will only take them a few months with all the urgency. This is where some of the writing really falls down. It would have been way better if they invaded, but in more reasonable numbers and Shep has to work against the clock to get help before more show up. So "earth is locked down and we can't really get anyone in or out, it's a slow painful war of attrition unless reinforcements arrive" as opposed to EVERYTHING IS poo poo.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

SubponticatePoster posted:

I used to kill Kaiden in every playthrough until 3 came out, and Ashley is so completely useless and boring in it she now has permanent bomb duty. When you're thinking Kaiden sucks, remember he's the better option :stonk:
Kaidan sucks so much nobody in this thread can even be bothered to spell his name correctly. :v:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Ash is no different in 3, she gives the same speech and all that. And gets her face smashed in too. I used to kill Kaiden in every playthrough until 3 came out, and Ashley is so completely useless and boring in it she now has permanent bomb duty. When you're thinking Kaiden sucks, remember he's the better option :stonk:

It took the Reapers centuries to wipe out the Protheans. Apparently this cycle sucks and it will only take them a few months with all the urgency. This is where some of the writing really falls down. It would have been way better if they invaded, but in more reasonable numbers and Shep has to work against the clock to get help before more show up. So "earth is locked down and we can't really get anyone in or out, it's a slow painful war of attrition unless reinforcements arrive" as opposed to EVERYTHING IS poo poo.

I feel like they're trying to have it both ways and that just makes the pace of the story feel really inconsistent. It's supposed to be a small invasion because there is a resistance movement on the planet itself that doesn't get instantly glassed, but it's also an all encompassing invasion that can overtake earth so quickly that they have time to attack a barely inhabited mars base within hours of the first shot being fired

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah but those centuries were spent hunting down every station and colony the Prothean galactic space empire had (except for the hidden stuff). This is just them in a single system. Unless they are so slow and ineffective it took them months for every planet this should be over before lunch.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
They're pretty bad at the whole "reaping" part, given most of their forces are basically lovely zombies. Plus the whole dramatic narrative thing.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Doc Morbid posted:

Kaidan sucks so much nobody in this thread can even be bothered to spell his name correctly. :v:
I'm leaving that unedited for posterity. I may have been drinking. I may have not, who knows? :iiam:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
ash is worth saving once to get inferno grenade unlocked and then never again.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
This is heresy indeed. I usually save Ashley, who is one of the better ME characters IMO.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I like Kaidan :smith:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I don't hate Kaidan
I don't even hate Carth
I'm meh about this gestalt entity

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I just finished a marathon run of this series last week. I found the fourth ending totally by accident while loving around.

There is one point in ME3 which legit made a tear squeeze from my eye and nearly warmed my frozen heart.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
While I prefer Ashley to Kaidan in the long run (as Ashley is at least interesting, if flawed), I think ME3 did an excellent job of skull loving both to annoying pointlessness.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

This made me want to replay the ME games, and I started ME1 up again. The game just chills me out, listening to all the dialogue, running around to the synthy sci-fi music. Love it.

I played through the series a couple of times. If I'm not a Soldier, Ashley, is the one that makes most sense each time. She's just the meat. But I'd rather save Kaiden, think I'll do that this time - gonna be a vanguard, inspired by this LP. As much as I tried to branch out before, I always was an Infiltrator. And I will always be femshep.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

That rubber banding was hilarious. It looked like a pretty lazy inverse correlation between distance from Shep and run speed.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
"Ah yes, the 'Reapers'"

Like every other ME game, we spend some time loving around on the Citadel. Except this time we get to do very little shopping. At the hospital we run into a couple of people we know, and we tell Chakwas to get her rear end on the boat. Apparently we did such a good job scaring that one Krogan that Dr. Michel is in charge of the hospital, so giving away those free supplies to the poors turned out to be NBD. We buy some booze but we don't get to drink it :( Then we yell quietly at Kaidan to get out of bed.

The conversation we hear in the lobby is very :smith: indeed. There are quite a few of these you can run across and the great majority of them are sad. With the exception of one you only get to hear a few sentences and then to progress you have to leave the area and come back for the next little snippet, which makes hearing them all a pain. The exception convo triggers the next bit if you just run off a few feet and come back. I'm sure they did this so you didn't actually miss anything, but it's kind of lovely. Maybe if you had a "listen" prompt or something so you could just hear the whole thing at once if you wanted. The Asari here is a commando who was assigned to fight Reaper forces on a colony planet named Tiptree. Her and another Asari who is apparently an Ardat Yakshi (but in control of herself so she doesn't go around brain-melting people; it doesn't jive very well with lore but whatever) end up staying for a bit with some human family when they get overrun by Reaper forces and everything goes to poo poo. I'm spoilering the next bit so don't read if you don't want to know: you can put the clues together and realize the girl who gets 'murked is probably Joker's little sister :(

Then it's off to see the Council. This time they're totally on board and willing to help us anHAHAHA I can't finish that sentence. Nope, they're pretty much unhelpful as always. Now some people will say Ashley Was Right, and I guess that's true. But if the shoe was on the other foot, would humans go out of their way to rush over to Palaven? Who knows. And sacrificing one group to save the rest is pretty much a standard tactic in war. Hell, Hackett himself does it with the 3rd Fleet so the rest can get out of our system. But what really chaps my rear end is that you don't get the opportunity to use what would be the best comeback in the whole series. What were you thinking guys, I've been waiting for this!

The Turian Councilor goes behind the others' backs and tells us that if we rescue their Primarch then we can probably get the assistance we need, so we have our next major plot point. On the way out we pick up a new hanger-on. Diana Allers pisses a lot of people off because she's modeled on and voiced by Jessica Chobot who is a games journalist. Why this makes them mad I don't know, I guess she is a woman who doesn't "deserve" to be in the game, as peripheral of a character as she is. If I were her I'd be mad at what they did to my face. Her VA isn't super stellar which goes to show just because you are good at talking in one medium doesn't mean you are good in another. She gets you some extra war assets, a tiny amount for herself but if you do well in interviews with her it buffs your allies a bit.

Then back on the ship we get the worst new addition to ME3: dream sequences. As I said in the video, these could have been really neat but with the addition of the stupid kid and having to chase his dumb rear end all over at chilled molasses speed they're just tedious. gently caress that kid, I hate him. If you haven't played the game there is another HUGE reason to hate him but we won't get into that just yet. Then we meet a new crew member, Samantha Traynor. Traynor is romanceable for FemSheps only so if you haven't hooked up yet or feel like cheating on your current LI then you have an option. I like Traynor though her romance isn't anything to write home about and it's a bit male gaze-y. She has a couple of fun segments in the Citadel DLC.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Holy poo poo Shepard has serious cross eyes when meeting the punchable reporter. :stare:

The terrible scene with Kaiden written by someone who has seen dramatic scenes in movies but doesn't understand how they work. James says he's gonna head down to the lower levels "where they keep it real." :ughh:

How long does it take to build a massive freaking space gun full of unknown technology from scratch using a strange blueprint they don't even fully understand? I'm guessing months if not years even with the remains of a fleet.

Poil fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 17, 2017

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

"Ah yes, the 'Reapers'"On the way out we pick up a new hanger-on. Diana Allers pisses a lot of people off because she's modeled on and voiced by Jessica Chobot who is a games journalist. Why this makes them mad I don't know, I guess she is a woman who doesn't "deserve" to be in the game, as peripheral of a character as she is. If I were her I'd be mad at what they did to my face. Her VA isn't super stellar which goes to show just because you are good at talking in one medium doesn't mean you are good in another. She gets you some extra war assets, a tiny amount for herself but if you do well in interviews with her it buffs your allies a bit.
I never understood the need for shoehorning in a real life "celebrity" when the series already had Emily Wong but for some reason the writers felt that offing her on the Mass Effect equivalenty of Twitter was good enough for her character :shrug:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wow I don't remember the dream sequences at all. I guess I blocked them out.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Honestly the only think that really irks me about Allers is her fashion sense.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

THIS.

Emily Wong was an established and well liked character who a lot of people think was killed off so that Bioware could put in a "celebrity" instead, who's nowhere as cool or as good of a character/VA.

Perhaps Emily wasn't killed off for this reason, but it sure felt like it.

As for the Ashley Was Right bit....yes, yes she was, and your reasoning/excuses can never change that. :colbert:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

mauman posted:

THIS.

Emily Wong was an established and well liked character who a lot of people think was killed off so that Bioware could put in a "celebrity" instead, who's nowhere as cool or as good of a character/VA.

Perhaps Emily wasn't killed off for this reason, but it sure felt like it.
Maybe so, and I would have preferred Emily but there's a particular nastiness about a lot of the vitriol directed at her online that's really off-putting. She's not the dumbest character in ME3 (we all know who that is) but many people act as if she's a personal affront.

quote:

As for the Ashley Was Right bit....yes, yes she was, and your reasoning/excuses can never change that. :colbert:
Except Ash Was Wrong. Her philosophy was "we should look out for ourselves" and an unpleasant comparison to a dog. But if everyone just looks out for themselves then the whole galaxy is hosed since no one species can survive or defeat the Reapers by themselves. It will take everyone, working together, to have even a chance and that's what Shepard spends the entirety of the game doing - getting everyone to put aside their differences and think of the bigger picture. So there. ( :colbert: )

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Except Ash Was Wrong. Her philosophy was "we should look out for ourselves" and an unpleasant comparison to a dog. But if everyone just looks out for themselves then the whole galaxy is hosed since no one species can survive or defeat the Reapers by themselves. It will take everyone, working together, to have even a chance and that's what Shepard spends the entirety of the game doing - getting everyone to put aside their differences and think of the bigger picture. So there. ( :colbert: )

Oh, I wasn't talking about that part. I was just talking about the whole "Aliens will look to themselves AND throw us under the bus part if necessary", which a lot of people seem to gloss over (in-game and not).

I happen to agree that the best solution is to brow beat everybody into working together by reminding them how loving stupid such an attitude is.

As for the vitriol, don't judge a whole group by the worst of the lot. In fact, you shouldn't even include them in those groups to begin with because I'm willing to bet those groups want nothing to do with those assholes.

It's like the recent ghostbusters movie. Many people didn't like it for legit reasons, but the small minority of vocal fuckwads made it so idiots everywhere were comparing most of the (IMO legit) criticism to....well....bad stuff that only applied to those vocal fuckwads and NOT the majority.

Also, :kamina:

mauman fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 18, 2017

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

And in her dog comparison, Humanity was the dog and Salarians/Turians/Asari were the humans

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

SgtSteel91 posted:

And in her dog comparison, humanity was the dog and Salarians/Turians/Asari were the humans

Oh yes thank you. That's the other thing people tend to gloss over and tend to get wrong (this discussion is a case in point). She NEVER compared aliens to dogs.

Other way around (humans are the dogs). And hey, guess what happened? :downs:

mauman fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 18, 2017

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
"I can't tell the aliens from the animals!" - Ashley Williams, grease spot on Virmire.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

"I can't tell the aliens from the animals!" - Ashley Williams, grease spot on Virmire.

Oh yeah, I agree that was rude.

Not going to deny that.

But that's besides the point and you know it.

mauman fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 18, 2017

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Ashley says basically "I don't like aliens because they're gonna leave us to be eaten by a bear when things get bad so I don't want to work with them." Which is correct on its face, but then when Shepard does her thing it's making everyone do literally the opposite of that. They don't, ultimately, leave us to get eaten by a bear. If things went differently, say if Palaven bore the brunt of the Reaper attack, would Ashely drop everything to go help, or go "gently caress you, I'm looking out for my own?" She'd do the latter, so she's just accusing others of doing the same thing she'd do which is bad but it's ok if she does it...?

And no, that's not an ad hominem. An ad hominem would be me saying "Ashley is wrong because she wears dumb pink armor."

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Ashley says basically "I don't like aliens because they're gonna leave us to be eaten by a bear when things get bad so I don't want to work with them." Which is correct on its face, but then when Shepard does her thing it's making everyone do literally the opposite of that. They don't, ultimately, leave us to get eaten by a bear. If things went differently, say if Palaven bore the brunt of the Reaper attack, would Ashely drop everything to go help, or go "gently caress you, I'm looking out for my own?" She'd do the latter, so she's just accusing others of doing the same thing she'd do which is bad but it's ok if she does it...?

And no, that's not an ad hominem. An ad hominem would be me saying "Ashley is wrong because she wears dumb pink armor."

And like I said, I agree that it's a bad stance to take.

I was never focused on that part. I was focused on the whole "aliens will gently caress us to save themselves" which happened. Very much happened.

Also, it is a an ad hominem. You're attacking the character rather than her points, which is the very definition of an ad hominem. If your rebuttal doesn't work the moment you take Ashley out of the equation, it's an ad hominem.

Here's the deal. Ashley is a realist and a cynic. It's the realist part I agree with not the cynic. I agree that she was right that aliens would throw us under the bus (they did), but I don't agree with the whole "then gently caress them" attitude. And I don't agree that it was a good thing to in any way shape or form. I think we both agree on that...yes?

Ashley's (paragon) character development is to help her get over that, much like Kaidan's (renegade) character development(?) turns him into an even worse version of Ashley. Seriously, his anti-alien rant near the end of ME1 makes even our best buddy Krogan take a step back.

mauman fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 18, 2017

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
You totally can take Ash out of the rebuttal though. The entire game is a rebuttal to "when push comes to shove we're on our own."

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

You totally can take Ash out of the rebuttal though. The entire game is a rebuttal to "when push comes to shove we're on our own."

Well, a paragon playthrough is, and I agree that pushing past the whole "gently caress you got me and mine" attitude is the right thing to do.

Not sure about renegade play through though. Then again most renegade choices are stupid and self defeating so maybe that's the point.

But that's not what I was debating on. I feel like the goal posts were moved at some point.

Also I was referring to the rude animal comment as the ad hominem, and I doubt you could take Ash out of that comment and still use it as a rebuttal. Nothing else in your rebuttal was I referring to.

mauman fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

mauman posted:

Well, a paragon playthrough is, and I agree that pushing past the whole "gently caress you got me and mine" attitude is the right thing to do.

Not sure about renegade play through though. Then again most renegade choices are stupid and self defeating so maybe that's the point.

But that's not what I was debating on. I feel like the goal posts were moved at some point.

Also I was referring to the rude animal comment as the ad hominem, and I doubt you could take Ash out of that comment and still use it as a rebuttal. Nothing else in your rebuttal was I referring to.
Renegade is more "I don't have time for this poo poo" than kicking puppies. You mostly browbeat people but the end result is the same.

My stance was and remains "Ashley was wrong. The other species don't end up turning their backs on you when things are bad." She's a Space Racist, and her lovely animal comment cements that. Her flaws do make her a good character and I used to always save her because she was more interesting than the sweat wizard. I don't hate Kaidan either for the record, because I never played KOTOR so I don't have terrible Carth flashbacks.