Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Man, those shield carriers look to be made of concentrated bullshitonium. First thing I've seen here that makes me glad I didn't buy any of the DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Man, while I do realize that a lot of the good stuff in this DLC comes from the fact that we finally get to capitalize on the foundation that has been built during three games, I really wish that Mass Effect: Andromeda had at least some of the good stuff from this video.

Sylphosaurus fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jun 6, 2019

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I mean, Andromeda has Drack

And Drack is pretty fuckin' good.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Wyld Karde posted:

Man, those shield carriers look to be made of concentrated bullshitonium. First thing I've seen here that makes me glad I didn't buy any of the DLC.

as opposed to the like, 99 things in this mission which make you sad that you didn't buy the DLC right? Citadel is a completely honest-about-itself shot of fanservice but it's also got some pretty legitimately good gameplay too

Sylphosaurus posted:

Man, while I do realize that a lot of the good stuff in this DLC comes from the fact that we finally get to capitalize on the foundation that has been built during three games, I really wish that Mass Effect: Andromeda had at least some of the good stuff from this video.

I think a lot of this is something you can't really do except at the end of a game, or trilogy, or whatever. You need to build the context first to earn it, then riff on it later.

so i agree it would've been nice, but it would've required andromeda to be a much better title and for andromeda 2 to exist. or a bunch of Andromeda 1 story DLC, I guess, same difference.

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 6, 2019

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Psion posted:

as opposed to the like, 99 things in this mission which make you sad that you didn't buy the DLC right? Citadel is a completely honest-about-itself shot of fanservice but it's also got some pretty legitimately good gameplay too

I think a lot of this is something you can't really do except at the end of a game, or trilogy, or whatever. You need to build the context first to earn it, then riff on it later.

so i agree it would've been nice, but it would've required andromeda to be a much better title and for andromeda 2 to exist. or a bunch of Andromeda 1 story DLC, I guess, same difference.

Sylphosaurus posted:

Andromeda specifically tried this with the Movie Night quest and it did not work for two reasons:

1. You do not quite have the history with and appreciation of the characters in Andromeda that you do with the original trilogy folks. Like, Jacob Taylor isn't a popular character, but you have a bunch of things you can play off of with him in Citadel -- his fitness obsession, Kasumi's crush on him, his former relationship with Miranda, etc. So you can build on these things and trust that the player will understand it in a certain way. Compare to, say, Liam, who you've barely known for 3/4 of one game by that point, and the creators didn't know what players THOUGHT of Liam, so when they get all cutesy and jokey it runs the risk of coming off as disingenuous.

2. They made it a fetch quest and gated it to your story progress. gently caress off!!!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Also this part of the DLC is where I think it becomes a biiiiiiit too much because there’s a lot of dialogue coming at you all at once and a fair amount of it doesn’t really making the landing. It’s understandable because this is the first and only time there’s ever been a mission where everyone comes along so they gotta give everyone as much as they can in the time they have but they bump right up against the ceiling.

The rest of the fan service comes in little vignettes and it’s great. By the time one doesn’t work on you it’s already over.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Explosive Ammo + SMG + Shooting at the ground will kill the Cat heavies very, very quickly.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Pattonesque posted:

Andromeda specifically tried this with the Movie Night quest and it did not work for two reasons:

1. You do not quite have the history with and appreciation of the characters in Andromeda that you do with the original trilogy folks. Like, Jacob Taylor isn't a popular character, but you have a bunch of things you can play off of with him in Citadel -- his fitness obsession, Kasumi's crush on him, his former relationship with Miranda, etc. So you can build on these things and trust that the player will understand it in a certain way. Compare to, say, Liam, who you've barely known for 3/4 of one game by that point, and the creators didn't know what players THOUGHT of Liam, so when they get all cutesy and jokey it runs the risk of coming off as disingenuous.

2. They made it a fetch quest and gated it to your story progress. gently caress off!!!

3. When it finally did play the cutscene glitched out and everyone was seated inside of each other.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Kurieg posted:

3. When it finally did play the cutscene glitched out and everyone was seated inside of each other.

man remember when glitches in ME/2/3 were just minor graphical things and not "lol this quest can never be resolved, get bent idiot"

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Pattonesque posted:

yeah that was just a downright rude move

fetch quests are garbage and andromeda had too many as it is, that particular one was just so blatantly bad!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Psion posted:

fetch quests are garbage and andromeda had too many as it is, that particular one was just so blatantly bad!

I remember there’s a really bad one in Andromeda that has like 10 fetch destinations or check points to it. That was around the point where I decided I was just loving done with the game and made a hard bee-line for the ending mission just to get it over with.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Psion posted:

you know what really grinds my gears is that there were a bunch of ways they could have done this correctly

so you have a quest where a scientist tells you to scan minerals and you scan 50(?) minerals and the scientist gives you some money and XP and says "thanks"

but what if you had to scan FIVE minerals and every time you did it told you something interesting about the setting? what if one of the minerals is like a highly addictive drug to the angara and you have to stop its distribution? What if another one would help the nexus do something cool but it's located on an angara holy site? What if you got embroiled in a MYSTERIOUS CARTEL'S attempt to scoop up all of a third one for NEFARIOUS PURPOSES?

but no, instead you gotta fart around three desert planets and scan all the minerals. execrable.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

I remember there’s a really bad one in Andromeda that has like 10 fetch destinations or check points to it. That was around the point where I decided I was just loving done with the game and made a hard bee-line for the ending mission just to get it over with.

this is the one with the lady with the plague who somehow traverses half the cluster in a shuttle, right?

that was AWFUL. you had to chase her all the way around for no reason!

oh I just remembered, in some of the "assignments" you had to go find some macguffins, only the macguffins would only spawn at Kett/Remnant camps. The thing is, they would only spawn SOME OF THE TIME, so you had to go down to the planet, check each of the places, and if the macguffins weren't there, you had to leave and come back.

actively hostile game design, man

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

"one"
aside from the obvious dumb poo poo like "scan 16 different rocks on every planet in the game" this is the one where I read the wiki list of steps and said hell no: https://masseffect.fandom.com/wiki/Contagion

I guess spoilers for a lovely quest in MEA, fair warning for anyone else

e: i absolutely love how in the span of me writing this reply 2 people replied mentioning both of these garbage rear end quests, hahaha

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Psion posted:

"one"
aside from the obvious dumb poo poo like "scan 16 different rocks on every planet in the game" this is the one where I read the wiki list of steps and said hell no: https://masseffect.fandom.com/wiki/Contagion

I guess spoilers for a lovely quest in MEA, fair warning for anyone else

e: i absolutely love how in the span of me writing this reply 2 people replied mentioning both of these garbage rear end quests, hahaha

I say “one”, but really that was just the one that broke me and I said “no more” to. There were ones that were just as worse or slightly less worse before that but yeah there just came a point where I realized “loving hell this is like the fifth destination I’ve visited for this one quest and there’s no sign of it being finished yet, what the hell?”

My favourite “they just didn’t care” part of Andromeda though has to be the game-breaking bug on the PC version if you fight one of those super boss Remnant leviathan things on each planet it, if you die to them it corrupts your last save/auto-save so that you respawn to an infinite loading screen. Meaning you need to quit the game and go find a uncorrupted save from earlier one, potentially erasing hours worth of progress.

And they never bothered to fix it. Or actually I think they just straight up lied and said they fixed it when they really didn’t. It go to the point where I just avoided any encounters with them or I cheated and brought in infinite heavy weapon ammo to the fight and just cheesed them completely. Because defeating those things was tied to fully restoring each of the main hub planets.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

i'm pretty sure that got fixed since I fought them all normally and died to a few and completed them

from what I can tell by the time they got to 1.10, nobody was playing but also they did fix quite a bunch of the outright worst, but that game was sunk in popular perception on day one with "my face is tired" memes

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Psion posted:

i'm pretty sure that got fixed since I fought them all normally and died to a few and completed them

from what I can tell by the time they got to 1.10, nobody was playing but also they did fix quite a bunch of the outright worst, but that game was sunk in popular perception on day one with "my face is tired" memes

the cinematic fixes were so sad, because they did legit make things a little bit better but like ... at that point the number of people who're going to play through them to notice is probably like ... 20,000, for the rest of recorded time.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

well, 19999 other people than me I guess :shrug:

19998 if we count subponticate who we all hope will suffer through Andromeda for our sake!!!

ps: please don't do contagion

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Psion posted:

well, 19999 other people than me I guess :shrug:

19998 if we count subponticate who we all hope will suffer through Andromeda for our sake!!!

ps: please don't do contagion
I'm sure I'll get to it at some point. Anyway it's not like you're asking me to play DA2 :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

SubponticatePoster posted:

I'm sure I'll get to it at some point. Anyway it's not like you're asking me to play DA2 :v:

At least DA2 would only be a third of the length or so, meaning less total hours of suffering?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Psion posted:

At least DA2 would only be a third of the length or so, meaning less total hours of suffering?

And minor quests in DA2 were usually less annoying, because it didn't have an open world.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
DA2 also let you antagonize all your terrible party members. You can't prevent Merrill from wreaking havoc, but at least her quest can end with her sobbing on the floor about how you were right all along, refuse Anders' final request and make him turn into an abomination to do it on his own, and hand Isabella over to the Arishok as a prisoner. I feel like that part gets unfairly glossed over.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
DA2 also didn't nuke a franchise

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Weren't you able to force Aveline to kill her husband/boyfriend if you hosed things up in a specific way?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Pattonesque posted:

DA2 also didn't nuke a franchise

yet another demonstration of how when ME does something they do it better than DA :c00l:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Kurieg posted:

Weren't you able to force Aveline to kill her husband/boyfriend if you hosed things up in a specific way?

For whatever reason, I’m reminded of how you could Force Dominate Zaalbar into killing Mission for you after you took the plunge to the Dark Side in KOTOR 1.

...Which wound up being especially pointless, because he’d turn on you shortly after you arrived at the final dungeon, which was only five minutes of cutscenes away at that point.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

quote:

If Aveline decides to help Hawke side with the mages, and has been married to Donnic, Donnic will order the city guard to protect the civilians, keeping them out of the fight. If Aveline did not marry Donnic and decides to help the mages, the guards will participate in the fight, and Aveline will blame Hawke for their deaths.

Yeeup.

It'd be interesting to see a maximum fuckup route run of DA2.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Kurieg posted:

It's called DA2.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

For whatever reason, I’m reminded of how you could Force Dominate Zaalbar into killing Mission for you after you took the plunge to the Dark Side in KOTOR 1.

...Which wound up being especially pointless, because he’d turn on you shortly after you arrived at the final dungeon, which was only five minutes of cutscenes away at that point.

The best part was the Dark Side turn wasn’t gated to your Light/Dark rep either. You could be full on Jedi Paragon and you could pull a Daenerys Targaryen and turn monster evil for no reason and everyone just went with it.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Zedd posted:

It's called DA2.
:hmmyes:

(I actually don't hate DA2, it has caused more than one person trying to LP it to go insane however)

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

(I actually don't hate DA2, it has caused more than one person trying to LP it to go insane however)

Kurieg posted:

Next LP confirmed? (Speed-ish run, absolutely no need to 100% it)

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I'd really like to do a non-Bioware game for an LP or two. Someone did finally finish a DA2 LP while I was doing DAI that was fairly completionist. Inferior's DAO LP is still trucking along after 4 years which is just loving mindblowing to me. It's also very good, so if you haven't checked it out I highly recommend it. If DA4 comes out I'll probably be on the train for that one, though after the last couple of games it may be such a tire fire that it'll make DA2 look like a goddamn masterpiece.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Let me re-suggest Horizon: Zero Dawn. It's got a fantastic story and it's really fun to play. It's also gorgeous.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Go gently caress yourself

We pick our squad and head out in a stolen (presumably) skycar to stop ourselves from stealing the Normandy. This whole bit is fantastic IMO. First you have flags for the squad selection - I believe Liara bitched not only because she's our LI but also we took her along the most. Whoever you took the least during the main game gives you the "I never get picked" line. On the ride over you get different variations of the conversation. If you take EDI her brain gets fried from being forcibly shut down on the Normandy and does a very good impersonation of Avina from the first game when the Citadel is attacked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuGgIBo-hQ8&t=133s Then we knock a few mooks off platforms and make it to the ship. There are also a couple of different versions of the pre-flight check line depending on squad composition.

We run into Traynor who just got "fired." If you romanced her you can verify your identity by kissing her. This is the plot reason why she doesn't get to hang out at the apartment even though Cortez does. The whole toothbrush thing cracks me up every time. Even if you're an adept or have Liara with you, there's a bit about it requiring too precise control. It also gives a recognizable callback to the weirdos who started with the third game. Then Hale's delivery and Garrus's "I'll make a note of it." Also the cannon fodder thing is very funny. Wrex is delighted to be having a firefight on the ship and the hamster thing is hysterical. Bonus elevator conversation! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV6A602QreE And then it's time to fight ourselves. Your clone will have all the same main powers you do. They don't seem to use ammo powers or squad bonuses. In our case this leads to a pretty straightforward fight. Make them heal 5 times and you're done. Then we learn about the power of friendship and shoot Brooks for pissing us off. You do have the option to keep her for war assets but we already won the war so gently caress her. That's what you get for backing the wrong horse!

All in all I feel this is a great mission, but it's not the best part of Citadel. That will be dicking around with our squadmates and then the actual party. We'll also try out the combat simulator, which is a condensed SP version of the MP.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
You totally missed the best line with the hamster, and one of the funniest bits about this mission overall.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
The loving toothbrush, my god. That scene was gold.

VKing
Apr 22, 2008
This episode was gold.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Never minding the best mission but since you mention it the combat sim is the most surprising part of the DLC. Not because it’s incredibly fun or something, or because it has good rewards, but because it acts as a “time skip” - same as a mission- to get to the next vignette and that BioWare thought of that :v:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

grack posted:

You totally missed the best line with the hamster, and one of the funniest bits about this mission overall.
Aw balls, I thought I got all of 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

If you take EDI her brain gets fried from being forcibly shut down on the Normandy and does a very good impersonation of Avina from the first game when the Citadel is attacked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuGgIBo-hQ8&t=133s

I love the way she says "I'm OKAY!?" and then purposefully readjusts her eye.