Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

SubponticatePoster posted:

Aw balls, I thought I got all of 'em.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62L1Wz4HN0Y&t=37s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malah
May 18, 2015

Kurieg posted:

I love the way she says "I'm OKAY!?" and then purposefully readjusts her eye.
I like how her other eye looks over at it before she adjusts.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
It's funny (figuratively) to see how good the writing is in this compared to the rest of the game. Now it probably wouldn't be appropriate to be making lots of jokes on the way to the beam but there's such a difference in quality that it's palpable. You can tell everyone really had a good time making this, both writers and VAs. Weird how you get a quality product when everyone works together, eh?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I hate to be that guy but to me this whole thing has this sense of laying it on a bit thick with the fanservice. Like, okay, I know, that's the whole point of the thing, but sometimes it's just jarring. I mean, when did Javik turn into a wisecracker?

For the most part this stuff is gold, and some of these callbacks really land ("I should go" is never going to be topped), but it's not without its share of clunkers.

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.
Man I’m loving the banter in this expansion - people just riffing on each other “Which one of you comedians are actually going to shoot something”

Feels fresh and I have to admit I didn’t see the clone twist coming. Feels like there is actual weight to the characters and your past interactions.

Looking forward to the fetch quest to set up a totally gnarley party mannn!

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

auzdark posted:

Man I’m loving the banter in this expansion - people just riffing on each other “Which one of you comedians are actually going to shoot something”

Feels fresh and I have to admit I didn’t see the clone twist coming. Feels like there is actual weight to the characters and your past interactions.

Looking forward to the fetch quest to set up a totally gnarley party mannn!
Total of 0 fetch quests unless you count walking 20 feet from the start to a store to purchase the party supplies, IIRC.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Well, you have to fetch people.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

Kurieg posted:

Well, you have to fetch people.
Technically, you don't.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Fedule posted:

I hate to be that guy but to me this whole thing has this sense of laying it on a bit thick with the fanservice. Like, okay, I know, that's the whole point of the thing, but sometimes it's just jarring. I mean, when did Javik turn into a wisecracker?

For the most part this stuff is gold, and some of these callbacks really land ("I should go" is never going to be topped), but it's not without its share of clunkers.

For the clone part of the DLC I think it’s just a time thing. Everybody needs to get in on the action and they have basically 1 mission to do it in. So everything gets thrown at the wall, some of it sticks and some of it doesn’t.

Also Jarvik was always cracking wise, it was just usually reserved for insulting everyone.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Fedule posted:

I get you, but consider bioware's position in 2013: it's a year after ME3, there's a very vocal and enraged chunk of fans over it (I mean some people still are now, how many years later?) and Citadel is a combination farewell and love letter. If that means taking every opportunity for a joke or a fanservice moment as opposed to playing it straight, well, they went for the joke or fanservice.

so it's an understandable choice, at least?

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 10, 2019

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Psion posted:

I get you, but consider bioware's position in 2013: it's a year after ME3, there's a very vocal and enraged chunk of fans over it (I mean some people still are now, how many years later?) and Citadel is a combination farewell and love letter. If that means taking every opportunity for a joke or a fanservice moment as opposed to playing it straight, well, they went for the joke or fanservice.

so it's an understandable choice, at least?

yeah if you look at it as a sendoff for the whole series rather than an epilogue the jokiness makes a bit more sense

I think they laid it on a bit too thick, regardless.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
R and R

Sorry about the time between updates, I was telecommuting and it was easy to do commentary and editing on my lunch breaks because I had all my equipment but the powers that be decided I should go back into the office. Combine the loss of free time with the weather improving so I can actually do yardwork and go out and do stuff and you get 2 weeks of gap time. Luckily there isn't much left for us to do so this won't stretch out into months before we're finished.

Now that we've dealt with our clone it's time to hang out with our friends and generally relax. We get access to the combat sim which is a pared-down version of MP. You get prizes based on score, the majority being things that unlock more options so you can get higher scores. You also unlock squadmates, and anyone alive at this point with the exceptions of Mordin and Legion (whenever you decide to do it) gets to come along as long as you've done their mission(s). So for example if you haven't completed Sanctuary then Miranda isn't around. I think the idea being that you'll go to the apartment as soon as it's available and then do a mission, hang out with a companion etc but nobody seems to do it that way because why the gently caress would you? Getting folks to hang out with is based on doing missions and if you wait until post game to do this like we did the combat sim works the same as a mission so it'll advance the next round of interactions. That's nice of them to do so you aren't hosed if you waited. You can do a round in just a couple of minutes so moving on to the good stuff is easy.

Aside from shooting imaginary dudes we wander around the strip a bit. There are lots of conversations to listen to, the majority being references to MP and they're loving hilarious if you have the context. Bitching about pubbies, loadouts, bad techniques and getting loot from boxes. We'll eavesdrop on these whenever we can. We also hang out with Zaeed, Traynor, Javik and Liara. Javik's thing is hysterical. He doesn't have another hangout like some characters do, but the sheer silliness makes up for it. Zaeed is bad at crane games, Traynor plays space chess, and we get a little hangout time with our GF. Weirdly Liara only meets you at the apartment, you don't get two interactions with her like you do with a couple of people. Considering how much she figures into the game otherwise I'm surprised there's only the one. If you didn't date her it's the same except you just go "oh this is nice to hang out glad we're friends." I won't show off any more of the combat sim since it's just the same poo poo over and over, though I will show off the ultimate prize which is an armor set that we don't use because it's inferior in every way to the stuff we already have. It looks neat though.

e: Problem seems to have fixed itself, hooray.

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 26, 2019

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

It's giving me 720p as an option. no need to reupload I think!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Grunt's little adventure is still my favorite of all the crew interactions.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Grunt's writing in 3 is great everywhere. His own mission with the Rachni, his (mis)adventure in Citadel, and his party stuff is hysterical.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

His morning after dialogue is pretty terrifying, though.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
So yeah I've become more convinced that this DLC is toeing a very fine line between playful self-reference and cloying self-indulgence, and it wavers back and forth over it. The conversations we overhear that are all references to multiplayer discourse sit well with me. The minutes of dialog about a piano cover of Vigil does not. The dumb skit with Zaeed raging at the claw machine was great. The dumb skit with Traynor playing overelaborate space chess was just dumb.

The Blasto bit was... very weird. It's a farce, but, like, they went full farce. The whole thing is jarring; I cannot stop questioning it; nothing there is justified in any sense other than that this is The Fanservice DLC and they couldn't dare not provide a payoff for Blasto the Hanar Spectre. Javik's interjections are great as put-downs but him being there at all is a contrivance. I don't get why we couldn't've just - okay, here's my scenario outline fanfic: Javik emails saying he wants us to come explain something that he's looking at. It turns out he's stumbled on the set of Blasto 7 while they're filming. We see a few scenes play out (keep the Vorcha, his "you die now" line, and the reveal of the context for it, it's great), and the player then gets to explain Blasto the Hanar Spectre to an incredulous Prothean, choosing to either agree how stupid the whole thing is or defend the virtues of trashy action schlock and say some references or something. This version of the scene keeps all the fanservice, has plenty of room for callbacks, and doesn't require us to stop and question why nobody's just walked out of the room yet. Hire me, BioWare. Or don't, I hear it's not very fun working there.

Look, I like this DLC. It's exactly what was needed after the whole Ending Thing. But lord do they overdo it at times.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Fedule posted:

So yeah I've become more convinced that this DLC is toeing a very fine line between playful self-reference and cloying self-indulgence, and it wavers back and forth over it.

yeah, that's a pretty fair assessment

"I should go" is clearly the high point of the entire DLC

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Psion posted:

yeah, that's a pretty fair assessment

"I should go" is clearly the high point of the entire DLC

"I should go" is one of the few times I've ever audibly gasped while playing a video game. It's so perfect in how its constructed to be a personal gently caress you to the player, and one that you're in on the joke for.

It's so simple, and so stupid, and yet it works masterfully.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Fedule posted:

Look, I like this DLC.

Not the impression you've been giving off with all your whining.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I think part of the issue is that due to EA's directive that the third goddamn game in a trilogy should be completely accessible to new players cut out a lot of their chances for prior references and resulted in maybe some gags they wanted to put in the main game being shoved into one small DLC. Which results in a saturation point being hit (based on your tolerance obviously - I'm one of the weirdos who loves every single stupid callback). Traynor is a newcomer and they don't have much to reference except that she likes to play chess. Steve's thing is equally banal, but it even lacks the attempted humor of Traynor's. We'll see that one next video.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

VolticSurge posted:

Not the impression you've been giving off with all your whining.

I checked, they've made two posts about it including that one, and the first was more of a question anyways. What's wrong with you?

I think part of the issue is that due to EA's directive that the third goddamn game in a trilogy should be completely accessible to new players cut out a lot of their chances for prior references

Yeah, sometimes they hit (the toothbrush scene) but sometimes they just miss unless you're super, super invested into one of the new characters. Javik aside I never got the feeling people really were but I could be totally wrong.

Psion fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jul 3, 2019

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
All of the new characters are better than Jerry by a mile. They at least seem to have emotions and something going on personally. Poor Jason, even his party stuff is like watching paint dry.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I've seen suggestions that they should have just combined Jacob and Kai Leng into a single character. Jacob gets slightly less boring by betraying you, and at least that gives you the basis of "it's personal", instead of a random superninja just taking over the plot out of nowhere.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

YaketySass posted:

I've seen suggestions that they should have just combined Jacob and Kai Leng into a single character. Jacob gets slightly less boring by betraying you, and at least that gives you the basis of "it's personal", instead of a random superninja just taking over the plot out of nowhere.

To properly do Kai Leng he needed to be in ME2 and to have been your apprentice or something from Cerberus. But that would have also required the risky bet that players would care about him enough to care about his betrayal, and would also have exposed him to the possibility of being cut out of the plot by being told to go into the vents with Thane due to the conceits of ME2's finale.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Cerberus evidently went to whatever was left of the Collector Base (offscreen) no matter what, so that could somewhat be explained away by saying that John Jacob Jingleheimer-Schmidt managed to cling to life just long enough for them to find him and cyberneticize him enough to make Raiden’s enhancements look like amateur hour poo poo.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

YaketySass posted:

The ...second? thing Jacob says after getting off the initial station in ME2 is how he's tired of red tape but doesn't always agree with Cerberus' methods, and Kai Leng's role is like the personification of Cerberus methods. Jacob has a total lack of motive to betray you for an organization he's already skeptical about and left at the end of ME2, there's no place to build any foreshadowing in ME3, so it'd come out of nowhere and be completely unearned worse than kai leng does as-is.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I'm gonna go with Fedule, the Blasto one was always my least favourite of the DLC because it seemed...somewhat petty. Considering all the stuff that Shepard has done throughout the series in terms of shilling it doesn't come off as funny and instead just mean spirited.

That and the whole thing with Vigil on the piano went a little far into self-masturbatory territory. the Citadel DLC is great overall but there are certain ones in it like these that I find myself just ignoring on subsequent playthroughs because they kinda suck

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
HGTV

Hangouts and decorating. The pull-up thing is a masterful bit of trolling, it takes you like 5 minutes and you don't even get an achievement for it. None of these hangouts are particularly interesting, I do like Tali's :swoon: over the cheesy movie. That was previously mentioned by the poor Turian at the bar in 2 who kept haplessly hitting on the Quarian girl.

E: Should be fixed now

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 8, 2019

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

HGTV

Hangouts and decorating. The pull-up thing is a masterful bit of trolling, it takes you like 5 minutes and you don't even get an achievement for it. None of these hangouts are particularly interesting, I do like Tali's :swoon: over the cheesy movie. That was previously mentioned by the poor Turian at the bar in 2 who kept haplessly hitting on the Quarian girl.
Sound desynchs around the 5 minute mark.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Epinephrine posted:

Sound desynchs around the 5 minute mark.
Goddamnit, I checked before I posted :mad:

e: Not sure what happened, I'll re-render it and fix it. Uh, just watch the first 5 minutes I guess :v:

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 7, 2019

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
Reupload works great!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Not doing the pull ups is fair, after all 100 is a lot and I guess not everyone can be as good as James :smuggo:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

Not doing the pull ups is fair, after all 100 is a lot and I guess not everyone can be as good as James :smuggo:

The 100 pull ups thing is utter agony to sit there and do with a controller (tiny bit easier on PC with a mouse, but not by much), but it's kind of worth it just for the banter between Shepard and Vega. Vega is and always will be the one character I wish was around right from the start of Mass Effect 1. He's just that charming :allears:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

The 100 pull ups thing is utter agony to sit there and do with a controller (tiny bit easier on PC with a mouse, but not by much), but it's kind of worth it just for the banter between Shepard and Vega. Vega is and always will be the one character I wish was around right from the start of Mass Effect 1. He's just that charming :allears:

Fresh-faced soldiers who look up to Shepard and are eager to prove themselves unfortunately don't last long.

RIP Jenkins.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Miranda totally carved her initials somewhere.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

speaking of fanservice it's my understanding that this dlc wasn't just a love letter to the franchise itself but it also paid homage to several of the online communities that helped make the me series into what it was for better or for worse :gonk:

i'd always heard SA was actually one of the communities that was referenced - supposedly several times in fact - but i never managed to catch any references myself, i tried to keep an eye out during this lp of the dlc but i couldn't spot any... either way, what a great send-off it was

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

hard counter posted:

speaking of fanservice it's my understanding that this dlc wasn't just a love letter to the franchise itself but it also paid homage to several of the online communities that helped make the me series into what it was for better or for worse :gonk:

i'd always heard SA was actually one of the communities that was referenced - supposedly several times in fact - but i never managed to catch any references myself, i tried to keep an eye out during this lp of the dlc but i couldn't spot any... either way, what a great send-off it was
Maybe it's all the Quarian sweat jokes :v:

Recording's all done. Two episodes left. I thought about breaking up the party since the full video is like an hour but nah, gently caress it. It's really best experienced in one go anyhow. I'll see what I can do on getting an episode out midweek, it's that time of year when OMG loving HOT and if I'm not running AC I'll keel over but it's too goddamn loud to do commentary. I got food poisoning last week so the weekend was

:barf:
:yosbutt:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Veni, vidi, victuals

Finishing up our hangouts. If Ash is alive then you meet her at the bar for a drinking contest that ends after 2 shots with an offscreen fight. Kaiden's isn't much more exciting, but you do at least get the "food of my people" line which is funny. Grunt's is hilarious, our teenage son getting into trouble. If you dated Garrus then you end up doing a tango in the bar which is very :kimchi: Jack will give Shep a tattoo and get belligerently sad about him possibly dying. Traynor and Shep get into the hot tub together and make out a bit. I really want to know when Sanders had the time to drop off a bag between Grissom and Anderson being stuck on earth, since they haven't seen each other for 20 years :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
God, I love Grunt.

EDIT: So can you still hook Garrus up when he's with Tali?

Fake edit: Does Garrus actually hate "Fleet and Flotilla" but watches it because Tali love it?

Fire Storm fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 19, 2019