Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I think the point being made is that the Aliens did turn their back on humanity and let them die to save their own skin. The big thing Shepard does in ME3 is not do that and instead help those Aliens who abandon humanity solve their problems which convinced them to help humanity instead of leaving them to their fate.

Essentially Ash was right that the Humans would be sacrificed, what we do is then convince people to go back in their decision to abandon humanity. Same as we can prove to Ash that her Space Racism is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
My main problem with ME3 is that you spend the entire game(and series, for that matter) proving everyone wrong, and fighting against the odds. And when you get to the end you just kind of go :downs: golly gee mr big bad that sure does sound like a swell idea. And if you take the obvious option the game just gives you a non-standard game over and shows you an ending where someone else did go along with the incredibly stupid plan.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

SubponticatePoster posted:

Renegade is more "I don't have time for this poo poo" than kicking puppies. You mostly browbeat people but the end result is the same.

My stance was and remains "Ashley was wrong. The other species don't end up turning their backs on you when things are bad." She's a Space Racist, and her lovely animal comment cements that. Her flaws do make her a good character and I used to always save her because she was more interesting than the sweat wizard. I don't hate Kaidan either for the record, because I never played KOTOR so I don't have terrible Carth flashbacks.

Wasn't that the whole point of this episode, though? The other aliens are using the reaper focus on Earth to sure up their own defenses, and letting us fend for ourselves until they're comfortable with their own homeworlds' status. Even the turian throwing us a lifeline was just to find out what happened to his army's leader so there can be a better coordinated defense of Pallaven, rather than to get help for earth

Sure Shepard brings them together as a unified whole, hence the name, but their immediate reaction to an existential threat to their species was to let our species hold off the reapers while they try to escape with their lives

And Carth isn't that bad in KOTOR, especially in light of the Shayamalan-esque twist, but he's the only voiced character you have in your party for the first few hours of the game, which magnifies any potential problems people have with his character. His passive aggressive rear end talking (rightfully) to your character in the same way Kaiden does in the beginning ME3 makes a lot of people hate him
Plus he's a nagging killjoy if you play dark side

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
And while we're talking about KOTOR voices, I only recently found out that FemShep is also Bastilla. I don't really care one way or the other about Bastilla, she's also a big wet blanket, but FemShep is definitely the better voiced Shepard

I guess Jennifer Hale has a much better range than Raphael Sbarge (Carth/Kadien), or maybe they just hosed up and gave him the exact same character to work with both times they hired him

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Jennifer Hale is the "better Shepard" depending on what kind of game you are playing. Mark Meer is a comedian through and through so I've always found his delivery of lines to work well if you're more interested in levity and schlock, which is more what the first 2 games focused on. Sure he does drama a lot better here in ME3 but I almost feel like that's forced on him due to the story. It's why when we get to a certain DLC I found his delivery waaaaay better than Jennifer Hale.

That and either because of his inexperience with VA work or his choice to voice all of Shepard's lines with a neutral inflection in ME1 I find even saying renegade lines he comes off as a goofball trying to act tough. I like it, another reason why ME1 is my favourite of the series :unsmith:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Lord_Magmar posted:

I think the point being made is that the Aliens did turn their back on humanity and let them die to save their own skin. The big thing Shepard does in ME3 is not do that and instead help those Aliens who abandon humanity solve their problems which convinced them to help humanity instead of leaving them to their fate.

Essentially Ash was right that the Humans would be sacrificed, what we do is then convince people to go back in their decision to abandon humanity. Same as we can prove to Ash that her Space Racism is wrong.

Thank you.

Aces High posted:

Jennifer Hale is the "better Shepard" depending on what kind of game you are playing. Mark Meer is a comedian through and through so I've always found his delivery of lines to work well if you're more interested in levity and schlock, which is more what the first 2 games focused on. Sure he does drama a lot better here in ME3 but I almost feel like that's forced on him due to the story. It's why when we get to a certain DLC I found his delivery waaaaay better than Jennifer Hale.

That and either because of his inexperience with VA work or his choice to voice all of Shepard's lines with a neutral inflection in ME1 I find even saying renegade lines he comes off as a goofball trying to act tough. I like it, another reason why ME1 is my favourite of the series :unsmith:

His neutral inflection in ME1 and (to an extent) ME2 came off as trying to Meer trying to emulate Kurt Russel's Soldier movie. Which totally worked for me. To the point that I find femshep to almost be too emotive early on.

In the 3rd game I find it's a moot point because by that time it felt like M. shep had caught up in the emotion department while keeping the superior comedy. :downs:

Also, I never had a problem with Carth. I just don't care for Kaidan. He's boring. Unless you turn him renegade of course, then he's full on :stonk:

But if I recall correctly he doesn't keep that development past 1. I might be wrong.

mauman fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Dec 18, 2017

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Really? I feel like Hale is more genuine and consistent in her delivery throughout the series, and is the better Shepard for it. Meer may do most of the wry, playful dialogue lines better than her, but some of his serious/dramatic lines were more stilted in 1 and still felt slightly off in 2 and 3 when compared to Hale's. This is a Bioware series, so stilted delivery is baked into their dialogue system, but MaleShep feels like he's more of a "video game character"

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

The Door Frame posted:

Really? I feel like Hale is more genuine and consistent in her delivery throughout the series, and is the better Shepard for it. Meer may do most of the wry, playful dialogue lines better than her, but some of his serious/dramatic lines were more stilted in 1 and still felt slightly off in 2 and 3 when compared to Hale's. This is a Bioware series, so stilted delivery is baked into their dialogue system, but MaleShep feels like he's more of a "video game character"

Hence why I made the comparison to the movie Soldier. It just worked for me :shrug:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I like Jennifer Hale's voice acting in ME3 because it's showing that Shep (Especially Butts) is loving worn out. Years of trying to have people see reason, to understand the threat that's coming have been fruitless. She killed a reaper, got killed by collectors and saw her ship shot out from under her and then brought back by a bunch of radical human supremacists, murdered hundreds of thousands of batarians and then got thrown in prison.

FemShep in 3 sounds tired, and that's why I actually like the dream sequences. Every person has their breaking point no matter how tough and to me, Shep is at that point. If you play really badly and get lots of people killed in the suicide mission, if you get wrex killed on Virmire, if you get the Normandy's crew killed in 2, the voices of the dead all call your name.

gently caress that kid though.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I think the same place I read about Meer's choice to go for a more neutral inflection in ME1 is the same place Hale said she decided to take the opposite choice, so if you were going for a "balanced Shep" that would give some times paragon answers and other times renegade you almost had to wonder if Shepard was bi-polar based off her line readings. Both VAs evened out by ME2

I dunno, I like them both for different reasons but I definitely prefer Meer's delivery overall

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Man, lots of bad opinions about videogames itt. The worst sequences of this game though are the post-traumatic shepard disorder sequences and one other character we haven't really gotten to yet, though.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

It's cool to see Shepard start to show strain under the pressure of saving the galaxy. It makes them human and not a machine

But the dream sequence, chasing some kid in a forest, was a ham-fisted way of doing that

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, I could see something more like their banter with squaddies getting less friendly as the setbacks start piling on, maybe engaging in stuff so risky that even the most Renegade character from the first two games would've balked at it, even outright (verbal) fights with their friends... You know, subtle things to show that Shepard's starting to wear down from all the stress, instead of the hamfisted "THIS IS A DEAD CHILD. YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD NOW."

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Or maybe Shepard can handle it, they say they're fine and they mean it since they (somehow) still have hope things will turn out well in the end, or they're good at showing a brave face; make it a choice how Shepard deals with the War

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

You know what else would make the Nightmare sequences better, using whichever of Kaidan/Ashley you sent to their deaths. It becomes about your personal choices and their consequences weighing heavily on Shepard.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
And the forest is made out of the corpses of tens of thousands of Batarians.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Space Racist Renegade Shepard would probably think that’s kickass, though.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Wouldn't just chasing voices through freshly bombed out buildings be more effective?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Would Shepard really care about dead batarians? Space racism aside, batarians REALLY hate humans and are literal pirate/slavers, but as a race

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

She doesn't have to care, you could even have the amount you care about the Batarian Trees be a renegade/paragon whatever decision.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
I hate how Reapers got depowered over the course of the series. In ME1 Sovereign is this big, terrible ship that just plows through the Citadel fleet like he doesn't even notice them and by the time ME3 rolls by you need, like, ten of them to stomp around New Londongeles like rejects from a Godzilla movie.

Also, Ash was right. :colbert:

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

And the forest is made out of the corpses of tens of thousands of Batarians.
But then it wouldn't be a nightmare?

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
Adding myself to the list of people excited that you are doing this. I played the game and then did my only "gently caress that" uninstall at one plot point. The ending has become a thing of legend, so I'll be in through it all.

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
I played 2 and 3 as a sniper class. I'm all :aaa: seeing this playthrough. Brutal is an understatement.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Yvershek posted:

I played 2 and 3 as a sniper class. I'm all :aaa: seeing this playthrough. Brutal is an understatement.
Playing a vanguard is pretty great, so much so that I haven't even touched any other classes since ME2 came out.

Vanguards are even crazier in Andromeda, because in that game you have a jetpack (or a biotic super jump that does the same thing) and you can charge in mid-air. :getin:

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Lord_Magmar posted:

You know what else would make the Nightmare sequences better, using whichever of Kaidan/Ashley you sent to their deaths. It becomes about your personal choices and their consequences weighing heavily on Shepard.

Should have been Jenkins.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Except every time Shepard has the nightmares, Jenkins dies in stupider and stupider ways.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Doc Morbid posted:

Playing a vanguard is pretty great, so much so that I haven't even touched any other classes since ME2 came out.

Vanguards are even crazier in Andromeda, because in that game you have a jetpack (or a biotic super jump that does the same thing) and you can charge in mid-air. :getin:

That's one of the best things about Andromeda, the added mobility. You think Butts is a biotic pinball now? Now add a loving jetpack.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Lord_Magmar posted:

They actually do this, FYI. Later ones that add voices have the Virmire sacrifice. That's one of the cool parts.

MA-Horus posted:

That's one of the best things about Andromeda, the added mobility. You think Butts is a biotic pinball now? Now add a loving jetpack.
I'm really sad that they poo poo the bed hard enough on Andromeda to more or less kill the franchise. There are some great things in there, like using pull as a leash and then smashing people in the face with a fuckoff Krogan hammer. And the jetpack charge.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

They actually do this, FYI. Later ones that add voices have the Virmire sacrifice. That's one of the cool parts.

Did they add in voices for anyone who dies on the ME2 suicide mission? I never played ME3 with a save that didn't have everyone alive. Seems like it should have been an obvious thing to do, and it'd be more impactful than the kid.

Hell, they could have thrown in voices for Pressly/the redshirts on Normandy 1.0 and it would have been more interesting than that loving kid.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Lynx posted:

Did they add in voices for anyone who dies on the ME2 suicide mission? I never played ME3 with a save that didn't have everyone alive. Seems like it should have been an obvious thing to do, and it'd be more impactful than the kid.

Hell, they could have thrown in voices for Pressly/the redshirts on Normandy 1.0 and it would have been more interesting than that loving kid.
Yeah pretty much everyone who's dead starts chatting with you.

MA-Horus posted:

If you play really badly and get lots of people killed in the suicide mission, if you get wrex killed on Virmire, if you get the Normandy's crew killed in 2, the voices of the dead all call your name.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

MA-Horus posted:

My Butt is Tired From Dealing With Everything: Let's Play Mass Effect Andromeda

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Kurieg posted:

My Butt is Tired From Dealing With Everything: Let's Play Mass Effect Andromeda

Butts Ryder.

Heh.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Discussing Andromeda it still feels like a real shame they kept with the only playing humans thing. Going to a new Galaxy should be the perfect time to let players pick from at least Human, Asari, Turian, Salarian, Krogan and Quarian. Have it literally be you picking one member from a mixed crew to play as and have them given leadership by the previous leader who dies.

They already wrote in both Ryder’s as their own personality so it shouldn’t be hard to let people play from a much larger choice.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
The Love Boat

Taking a look at the new and improved (supposedly) Normandy and talking with shipmates. I'm not really sure why they added the war room, it's kind of stupid that you have to hike back there (and sit through an invisible loading screen) when we already had the conference room for the QEC and you could easily just check on war assets from your terminal. That's the only major reno, otherwise it's the same assets for the most part. We can now access the shuttle bay where before we only got to go down there to blow up an oculus.

Traynor and Cortez are new crewmates who are same-sex LI's for Shepard. Neither of them are annoying which is good. Sadly our dog does nothing but wander around the shuttle bay, when it was announced as a bonus I thought it would do cool dog things and maybe hang out in your cabin but nope. As we recruit new squadmates some of the rooms will fill up, but there's a lot of empty space on the ship. One nice thing they've added in 3 is that your squadmates will actually move around the ship and interact with one another, or they'll talk on comms.

We have 2 "Priority" missions to choose from since we have all DLC. However you should ignore this designation, it basically means plot missions. If you have side things to do and tackle a priority mission instead the side content can become unavailable, so generally speaking do everything but a priority mission. Kinda dumb.

Also we recorded some MP over the weekend, so as soon as I can get that cobbled together I'll put up a bonus video.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Sadly our dog does nothing but wander around the shuttle bay, when it was announced as a bonus I thought it would do cool dog things and maybe hang out in your cabin but nope

Do dog things? It doesn't even do transition animations :effort:

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The pet Fenris mech probably dosent have a lot of processing power given it's basically just a mobile alarm, given standing in front of it confuses the wee bugger.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Did that fenris robot just instantly go from standing to lying down without any animation? There are so many glitches and the dialog is all over the place. I can't remember his name so I'm calling him Jason II (the guy we had with us from the beginning) had awful be flirty/be rear end in a top hat "choices". Oh and the reporter girl on the ship looks way too much like uncanny valley Miranda. It's kinda unpleasant to look at her.

Hopefully the game will get better.

Poil fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Dec 26, 2017

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
The opening is not one of the game's strong points. If you haven't played it, let me reassure you that one of the most :black101: setpieces in the entire series comes up later so things do get better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Allers in general looks like she came straight out of the uncanny valley, like they rushed the model at the last minute to meet the deadline.