Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
Is this a similar edition to the Simon Armitage facing page edition linked in the OP? Because it seems to be the version published within Canada and it might ship a little faster. Also the Kindle edition linked on that page is not the same thing at all.

In the meantime, I've been attemping to read the linked ME versions, and really appreciate the notes you guys have been posting, because I never took any courses in Medieval English literature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

chernobyl kinsman posted:

weirdly the UK printing of the Armitage translation is not facing page, iirc

drat. That's exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks. I guess I'll be waiting for the US edition then. In the meantime, I'll keep at the ME versions online.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

chernobyl kinsman posted:

here they've digitzed the entirety of the manuscript in which SGGK survives. it starts on this page. it's worth a look to get an idea of a) the illustrations (illuminations) and b( how wildly differently the text is formatted in the manuscript vs. in modern printed editions

try this, which is Tolkien's edition of the middle english with glosses for just about every problematic word. just click on each line number and it will expand to give the definitions. it's a little effort intensive, but still better (and more faithful) than jumping back and forth between a facing page translation, imo

Very cool, thanks. Six stanzas in, and I'm just starting to get the hang of it. There's about a dozen words I keep getting caught on because I've not come across them before, but a lot of them I haven't needed the translation for, after getting used to the way they're spelled.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

quote:

Fro şe swyre to şe swange so sware and so şik,

Thikk. Middle English. Who knew

Does anyone have a link to a good ME dictionary? The one thing I'm finding confusing is all the different words for man and knight—I mean I'm assuming the choice of different words were mainly for alliteration, but I don't know if there's differences in connotations for each choice as well and would like to find out.

• Locked thread