Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

The Armitage translation is really really good. I've also read the Burton Raffels (?) translation which is not as good, but has a really fantastic introductory polemic against every other translator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Other than the specifically poetic side of the poem (which is amazing but I probably can't offer much insight beyond what you would get in a half decent translators introduction) I don't have anything to say until people have had a chance to finish the thing. Rest assured it's amazing and it gets better the more you think about it. It's better than Chaucer but don't tell anyone I said that

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Tree Goat posted:

i can make an effort post about yogh and ash and thorn etc etc if that would be useful (unless it's in the op somewhere)

Yeah boi

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

J_RBG posted:

its deconstruction of Gawain as a hero,

This is absolutely one of my favourite bits of the poem, and probably of just about any piece of literature I've read in the past couple of years. The irony at play with Gawain's betrayal of his own values for a belt that doesn't even work and the sheer shame he feels at that and then turning up back at the court and having everyone praise him for failing horribly as a knight and then taking the very mark of his failure and turning it into a nice thing that everyone just wears is wonderful.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Gawain is the most ironical hero and I bloody love him

• Locked thread