Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Yaws posted:

I think that assistant(?) lady got it way worse than the lawyer in JP.

Oh right, she gets dropped between two animals (neither technically a dinosaur) right? Or they pull her apart? Because I remember Gennaro gets flipped in the Tyrannosaurus's mouth, worried and then is implied to be bitten in half (they don't show his legs dropping out of the T-Rex's mouth obv); but yea the idea is it's the same story beat just AMPED UP in a really dumb way I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The camera cuts away after Gennaro's back is broken by the Rex waving him around, leaving even more than that to the imagination.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
The worst death (up until lady assistant in Jurassic World) was Eddie Carr in Lost World. The t-rexes ripped him apart. He was a good dude, trying to save a bunch of dumb, ungrateful assholes.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

3 A.M. Radio posted:

The worst death (up until lady assistant in Jurassic World) was Eddie Carr in Lost World. The t-rexes ripped him apart. He was a good dude, trying to save a bunch of dumb, ungrateful assholes.

Agreed. Those fuckers were even giving him poo poo when he asked if they needed anything.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Eddie Carr was by far the worst, and it was great because it went against convention. He got a 5 minute scene trying his best to rescue the group in a great Spielberg sequence, got put in a horrible situation between two T-Rexes while doing so, and then was unfortunate enough to get the gun stuck in the seatbelt. And then he got the death (flip - rip) that would be normally reserved for the biggest rear end in a top hat in a film.

Meanwhile, the Ahab character bags his T-Rex and quits, alive. Lost World is so underappreciated.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

A grand total of one (1) person is eaten by a dinosaur in Jurassic World. Offscreen.

(5) are eaten onscreen (I-Rex eats the guy observed while hiding under the car as the cinematic language is lifting to eat as opposed to mauling, chews and eats the person very obviously only obscured by foliage by rating, eats two more people while rampaging as he swallows them, the water thing eats both the pteradon and the assistant at once). Multiple others can be assumed to be eaten offscreen (raptors at least chew on multiple mercs in the Aliens ripoff scenes, the pteradon carries away the guy that fell off of the helicopter, the I-Rex probably eats others).

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Actually, this video kind of shows what I was saying earlier best, as I looked it up after second guessing my memory. The drop off from Lost World to 3 is horrendously hilarious in every possible way; 4 looks like a mess but not quite as stilted and non-imaginative as 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5G-6xeXFyI

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Jurassic World is one of the worst big budget movies I've ever seen. J3 at least had some Joe Johnston weirdness to it. Jurassic World was %100 schlock with some added misogyny and Colin Treverow limp direction to boot.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Yaws posted:

Jurassic World is one of the worst big budget movies I've ever seen. J3 at least had some Joe Johnston weirdness to it. Jurassic World was %100 schlock with some added misogyny and Colin Treverow limp direction to boot.

Even from the clips posted above, there's no way you can call Treverow's direction more limp than Johnston's. There is at least dynamic movement by the dino and objects they are interacting with in the big mercenary attack scene (with camera movement accentuating it) and some good effects work with the human CG interacting with objects when knocked around, as opposed to a puppet coming into a mostly static frame and attacking a still person, the person screaming, then moving the person out of frame.

Neither is good, but once is laughably horrible, and the other is just "ew." I mean, very few things look good after following Spielberg/Kaminski, but JP3 just looks like it comes from a TV show or something while JW tries but fails to ape what Spielberg did in TLW.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Darko posted:

Even from the clips posted above, there's no way you can call Treverow's direction more limp than Johnston's. There is at least dynamic movement by the dino and objects they are interacting with in the big mercenary attack scene (with camera movement accentuating it) and some good effects work with the human CG interacting with objects when knocked around, as opposed to a puppet coming into a mostly static frame and attacking a still person, the person screaming, then moving the person out of frame.

Neither is good, but once is laughably horrible, and the other is just "ew." I mean, very few things look good after following Spielberg/Kaminski, but JP3 just looks like it comes from a TV show or something while JW tries but fails to ape what Spielberg did in TLW.

I actually feel more than comfortable labeling Jurassic World the far lesser film than J3 after watching those clips. There's a pronounced listlessness and overall lack of ambition in ever single frame of Jurassic World. It's film that has no tone, no theme and really nothing interesting going on at all. Also, every single character loving sucks. All of them. JW somehow managed to turn the charismatic Chris Prat into a loving hateful tosser.

What I'm saying is, Jurassic Park 3 doesn't win on it's own merits, it wins by default.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
After Magnificent Seven I'm kind of done excusing Chris Pratt on the basis of the script.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

After Magnificent Seven I'm kind of done excusing Chris Pratt on the basis of the script.

I didn't hate that movie :(

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
This just seemed like a raising of the stakes of each one. Gennaro gets eaten by the t-rex in the original, the guy helping Malcom and friends gets ripped in half and eaten after heroically sticking around and figuring out a way to save everyone else. Everyone in Jurassic Park III was an rear end in a top hat for most of the movie so none of its deaths felt "mean" but IIRC it also had a not pleasant death for a "regular guy" character.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Jurassic World has it's camera too high in relation to it's dinosaurs, making the Indominus not as menacing as it could have been. Only the breakout scene and a brief moment where it corners Pratt and Bryce in ye olde Jurassic does it seem huge and imposing. Spielberg always knew to keep his camera at a human level, and it's something that Johnston carried on mostly, except Johnston also did this shot at 00:00:19 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT8TUowrkLU), of the animatronic Spino swinging Nash around and it's the worst shot in any JP film.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I thought the not lowered angle worked for the iRex, as it was a corporate created jerk as opposed to a truly huge, magnificent creature that inspired awe. I never got that you were supposed to feel any wonder for it, or even fear - you were supposed to *hate* it, which is why it was shown slaughtering dinos you liked, and pitched against the fan favorite originals.

The Spinosaurus, on the other hand, was presented to actually be the bigger, better thing, and scare and hunt the characters similar to the TRex in the book, and it never once looked imposing, mainly because of this odd focus on its head being in frame for too long, which had that long beaky puppety design.

There were some good ideas, like announcing the presence with the phone - but that was not used nearly to its potential, either.

Darko fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Dec 6, 2017

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Darko posted:

(5) are eaten onscreen (I-Rex eats the guy observed while hiding under the car as the cinematic language is lifting to eat as opposed to mauling, chews and eats the person very obviously only obscured by foliage by rating, eats two more people while rampaging as he swallows them, the water thing eats both the pteradon and the assistant at once). Multiple others can be assumed to be eaten offscreen (raptors at least chew on multiple mercs in the Aliens ripoff scenes, the pteradon carries away the guy that fell off of the helicopter, the I-Rex probably eats others).

Reptiles and aliens don’t count*, though I’ll admit I completely forgot the idiotic quasi-found-footage scene.

*The white thing is just a differently-shaped Alien/Predator.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The kill counts don't really interest me much, but then again I was never a fan of horror movies. It seems like one of those things where nerds care about specifics and statistics completely divorced from actual context, though it can be used to bring up points about how something is depicted can be much more important than what is actually depicted.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Inescapable Duck posted:

The kill counts don't really interest me much, but then again I was never a fan of horror movies. It seems like one of those things where nerds care about specifics and statistics completely divorced from actual context, though it can be used to bring up points about how something is depicted can be much more important than what is actually depicted.

You misunderstand. My point is that they made a Jurassic Park movie where both the dinosaurs and the theme-park setting are narratively vestigial.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
everyone always forgets the Vince Vaughn rear end in a top hat camera-man who goes to Isla Sorna in JP2, never gets hurt while advising stupid bullshit to the other characters, then vanishes entirely from the plot without dying

gently caress that guy

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I've said this before, but it's bananas they made a "the park is open" movie and then shuffled all the guests out of the picture as soon as the dinosaurs broke out. Such a lost opportunity.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You misunderstand. My point is that they made a Jurassic Park movie where both the dinosaurs and the theme-park setting are narratively vestigial.

I think I see your point.

Does make me wonder, how could Jurassic World be done properly?

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
JW wasn't great but I still got unreasonably excited in the theatre when I realised they were about to release the original T-Rex.

I liked the Mosasaur too even if it was comically oversized. Rest of the movie was pretty forgettable, apart from the guy who saved his drinks when the pterosaurs attack

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

peer posted:

JW wasn't great but I still got unreasonably excited in the theatre when I realised they were about to release the original T-Rex.

I liked the Mosasaur too even if it was comically oversized. Rest of the movie was pretty forgettable, apart from the guy who saved his drinks when the pterosaurs attack

That was Jimmy Buffet.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Inescapable Duck posted:

I think I see your point.

Does make me wonder, how could Jurassic World be done properly?

My idea: It could have never been made.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Have a promo video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ3GlUDdrqg

Inescapable Duck posted:

Jurassic World gets a lot of passes because it has some interesting ideas (Jurassic Park if it actually got up and running and then poo poo went wrong, genetically engineered super-dinosaurs) and executes them adequately, but doesn't otherwise elevate the material.

I'm pretty sure that the decision to not elevate the material was pretty deliberate. JW is extremely similar to Star Wars: The Force Awakens in that it's a comfy pillowy soft reboot whose entire function is to go "Heyyyyy, remember this? Remember how this made you feel when you were a kid? Wasn't this awesome when you first saw it? Remember this guy? And this monster? Hey here's a [plot device] just like the other one you remember but even bigger! Oh hey here's that vehicle that was in all those scenes you loved!"

It fuckin' worked too, JW and SW:TFA were some of the biggest box office draws in the history of cinema.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Dec 6, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I guess it's nice that that guy survived the death of Vine, but... eww.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Must go faster

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Timby posted:

I think Goldblum himself said he's in the movie for like five minutes.

This teaser trailer shows him in a senate hearing or something which I guess will pretty much be all he does

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JvrgSPFbDs

Note also that the teaser leans really really heavily on the "Hey check out how many practical effects we're using this time!" message

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

What the gently caress

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
I just wanted to let everyone know I'm still irrationally mad at the lack of dino feathers and will presently be going on a hunger strike until the issue is resolved to my satisfaction.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

This teaser trailer shows him in a senate hearing or something which I guess will pretty much be all he does

Note also that the teaser leans really really heavily on the "Hey check out how many practical effects we're using this time!" message

If so that's a criminal underuse of Goldblum. He's the only Jeff Goldblum we have, we need to use him as much as we can while we still can.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I really can't blame him. If I were in Jeff Goldblum's position, I would also stipulate that the only way I'd appear in a Jurassic World sequel is if I got a massive payday for one day of shooting.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

Sir Kodiak posted:

I've said this before, but it's bananas they made a "the park is open" movie and then shuffled all the guests out of the picture as soon as the dinosaurs broke out. Such a lost opportunity.

It really should have turned into a Dinosaurs Attack! movie at that point. The babysitter kill everyone complains about is honestly the best part. Mean-spirited and sadistic is a lot better than like, ironic detachment.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Detective Dog Dick posted:

It really should have turned into a Dinosaurs Attack! movie at that point. The babysitter kill everyone complains about is honestly the best part. Mean-spirited and sadistic is a lot better than like, ironic detachment.

Yep, exactly. Put in a half a dozen more of those kills and not only is the movie better for it, you get rid of the unfortunate question of why this one person got singled out.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Cnut the Great posted:

I just wanted to let everyone know I'm still irrationally mad at the lack of dino feathers and will presently be going on a hunger strike until the issue is resolved to my satisfaction.

:rip: Death by dinosaur movie.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Cnut the Great posted:

Well it's something.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

That's from some random guy's DeviantArt page: https://cgsoufiane.deviantart.com/art/Raptors-474694748

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Ah weird, it was tweeted out from what looks like the official Fallen Kingdom Twitter account. Date stamp looks like it was about a year ago, though so makes sense they were just starting up the hype game with some fan art.

Too bad.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's exactly the same kind of poo poo they did with the Force Awakens promos as well and then people have that mentality when they are watching it despite most of the visual end up being CG. Didn't they do this already with the previous Jurassic World with the raptors and then just "painted" over them with cgi and that was the end of that, and now looking at that T-Rex scene they show it's an animatronic but when Pratt goes all "this is awesome", it looks really fake, as in weightless digital model -fake. It's all the same to me, of course practical effects would be cool and all but I think it was the direction that made them so timeless in the first JP.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
Why bother having feathers on raptors when we can add on spikes and horns :banjo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

They are fools if they don't add guns to the dinos. There is no reason a raptor can't wear a harness with a minigun or possibly recoilless rifle on it. Why not done?!?

• Locked thread