Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I hated that the majority of this movie took place in that house. What a loving waste of a summer blockbuster with dinosaurs that were confined to that poo poo. Did they blow their entire budget making that volcano explode? To me JP is all about being outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

I hated that the majority of this movie took place in that house. What a loving waste of a summer blockbuster with dinosaurs that were confined to that poo poo. Did they blow their entire budget making that volcano explode? To me JP is all about being outside.

It reminded me of Resident Evil

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 41 hours!)

sponges posted:

It reminded me of Resident Evil

For the third time in this thread, DINO CRISIS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp-59rTKNi4&t=120s

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 9, 2018

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017
I didn't mind the mansion part. What I did mind is them being released into California at the end. It's silly, its been done before (The Lost World), and they make it seem like some huge thing that's "gonna change everything!" but in real life those animals would get mowed down or captured within hours. Days at most.

I dont want some goofy Planet of the Apes with Dinosaurs that's not what the JP series was about.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Vintersorg posted:

My favorite part of the movie was when it turned into a slasher flick in the house. If they hadn't ended it by giving Blue a Mortal Kombat-esque stage fatality, it would have been great.

But of course they did.

This film's greatest failure was it's complete and utter failure to respect the audience. It just assumed we were all blithering idiots. It explained everything multiple times and/or made caricatures instead of characters. Virtually every problem with the movie could have been solved by letting a little mystery in.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ending chat: Even if any unscrupulous companies don't clone more dinos with the DNA of the loose ones, compies and pterodactyls would be a real big problem.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I was talking about the franchise with my brother today and we were trying to come up with the list of stuff that HAS to happen in a JP film:

- Kids have to get in danger, grumpy adult(s) has to slowly discover their parenting instincts
- People fleeing/racing in the middle of a dino stampede
- Someone falls, usually inside a vehicle/container and usually pushed by a dino
- Dino bodily fluids: someone has to dig through dinosaur poo poo or gets covered in dino goo/spit/snot or douses themselves with T-rex pee or gets splattered with dino blood

I'm sure there's a bunch more that happen in every single film

Top Gun posted:

I didn't mind the mansion part. What I did mind is them being released into California at the end. It's silly, its been done before (The Lost World), and they make it seem like some huge thing that's "gonna change everything!" but in real life those animals would get mowed down or captured within hours. Days at most.

I dont want some goofy Planet of the Apes with Dinosaurs that's not what the JP series was about.

It was supposed to be about that at one point, or at least the threat of dinos escaping the island was intended to be a major plot point right from the start. In Crichton's original script the people on the island were desperately trying to survive but at the same time they were trying to find a way to contact the ship that left and force it to turn around because they realised that a bunch of raptors had snuck on board and would get loose on the mainland. (The book ended on a similar note.)

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 10, 2018

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Somebody needs to just flat out make "Cadillacs and Dinosaurs" and "Dinotopia" movies already.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Somebody needs to just flat out make "Cadillacs and Dinosaurs" and "Dinotopia" movies already.

Dinotopia already had a miniseries: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinotopia_(miniseries)

Beefstew fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 11, 2018

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Look, the only logical path for Jurassic World 3 to take is to have it be set millions of years in the future in a world ruled by dinosaurs, where a niave billionaire stegosaurus is about to open a theme park stocked with humans spliced with frog DNA.

“Oh my god, the electrical fencing on the Frank habitat has gone down.”

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Fart City posted:

Look, the only logical path for Jurassic World 3 to take is to have it be set millions of years in the future in a world ruled by dinosaurs, where a niave billionaire stegosaurus is about to open a theme park stocked with humans spliced with frog DNA.

“Oh my god, the electrical fencing on the Frank habitat has gone down.”

"Say again?"
"We have a D. Trump!"

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'd love for someone to have another crack at that. The series was just made a bit too early - before TV was getting the budget and tech that a series so ambitious needed.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

That ankylosaur was bought, sold, and shipped out before the big breakout, right?

Also, Goldblum's speech should've been about how "saving" the animals is redundant, because they already exist and more than likely either a) will find their own way off the island or b) third party capitalists have access to the islands and will remove the creatures regardless of government sanctions.

It was a really superfluous speech and had big old blind spots for Ian to ignore in favor of gassing up the plot.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

McSpanky posted:

Funny how this was true of the first one too.

It's a double gently caress you to the audience as I read the director confirmed it was the one Grant and Ellie first saw in the original. So it survived the Indominous Rex only to be used as a cheap tear jerker dying in volcanic ash as a cameo.

I'm now convinced all the good original Dinos are only here to remind you that JP was a good film and maybe that'll let you be a little more lenient on these new ones.

I liked World better than Fallen Kingdom by a p wide margin.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Steve2911 posted:

I'd love for someone to have another crack at that. The series was just made a bit too early - before TV was getting the budget and tech that a series so ambitious needed.

Do enough people still remember Dinotopia that any producer would ever bother with it?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Cockmaster posted:

Do enough people still remember Dinotopia that any producer would ever bother with it?

Eh, it pretty much sells itself on its visuals even if people don't remember it.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
I lowkey hate they'd recton Site B being outright dead and having zero dinosaurs anymore. Now how can we make Trespasser 2?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

SirDrone posted:

I lowkey hate they'd recton Site B being outright dead and having zero dinosaurs anymore. Now how can we make Trespasser 2?

Sorna was part of a group of five islands. Site C will definitely be revealed at some point.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
None of the Five Deaths will actually be depicted on screen in order to secure that PG-13 rating.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

SirDrone posted:

Trespasser 2 will be situated in the ruins of Los Angeles after Dinocalypse, duh.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Blue should have hit the big red button at the end, she's the most well-developed character in this accursed series.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

exquisite tea posted:

Blue should have hit the big red button at the end, she's the most well-developed character in this accursed series.

The Stygimoloch that Owen used to escape the jail cell and break up the auction should have Kramered into the room and accidentally smashed the button

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
My brain 100% checked out when buffalo bill goes into that cage and then closes the door behind him. Good god what was this movie even. We're going human dino clones now? That's where we're at?

e: the new series handwaving of why dinosaurs don't look anything like what modern day science portrays them as is some weak poo poo too...wouldn't you play into the fact that we now know dinosaurs were really an evolutionary step for birds as the basis for new dinosaurs in your updated modern age theme park? the thing writes itself!

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 13, 2018

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

That cage scene is amazing. That dinosaur loving smirks.

would watch a film of indoraptor going around being a dick to people

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't like the first JW, but the reason the dinosaurs don't have feathers is baked into the whole "gently caress authenticity, give the public cool poo poo" angle. The idea of dinosaurs being scaly lizards just sells more theme park tickets because it's both cooler and plays into the public perception of what dinosaurs are.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lt. Lizard posted:

Trespasser 2 will be situated in the ruins of Los Angeles after Dinocalypse, duh.

Glad to see Primal Rage making a come-back.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

zer0spunk posted:

My brain 100% checked out when buffalo bill goes into that cage and then closes the door behind him. Good god what was this movie even. We're going human dino clones now? That's where we're at?

e: the new series handwaving of why dinosaurs don't look anything like what modern day science portrays them as is some weak poo poo too...wouldn't you play into the fact that we now know dinosaurs were really an evolutionary step for birds as the basis for new dinosaurs in your updated modern age theme park? the thing writes itself!

No the angle they took was much better, they just let it peter out

Switching it up to bird dinos could look cool but it’s not character development. Acknowledging the “dinosaurs” as chimeric hybrids (of various animals, diagetically, and of robots, cgi, and pure fantasy) is a lot more interesting. The explicitly fake iDinosaurs are a great idea in that sense, but where they take that is gibberish

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Eh, it pretty much sells itself on its visuals even if people don't remember it.

Assuming it ends up produced by someone who actually bothers to implement the book's visuals, unlike the miniseries.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

DeimosRising posted:

No the angle they took was much better, they just let it peter out

Switching it up to bird dinos could look cool but it’s not character development. Acknowledging the “dinosaurs” as chimeric hybrids (of various animals, diagetically, and of robots, cgi, and pure fantasy) is a lot more interesting. The explicitly fake iDinosaurs are a great idea in that sense, but where they take that is gibberish

I don't really agree with this. Part of what made the original JP so magical was the fact it strove to portray the Dinosaurs like actual living animals as accurate as science knew them at the time instead of just monsters. The movies full of shots like the iconic brachiosaur reveal that show the audience these aren't some evil beasts from hell. Even the T-Rex is shown to not be dedicated to evil and instead just in search of a good meal, finding the Raptors tastier than humans in the finale. When you make it so they're just ahistorical frankensteins then theres no mystique or wonder. Retconning the lack of feathers to being a PR stunt undercuts the themes of the original and makes me wonder why I should even care about the dinos since now they're apparently just the theme park version of Goldblum in the Fly.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

galagazombie posted:

I don't really agree with this. Part of what made the original JP so magical was the fact it strove to portray the Dinosaurs like actual living animals as accurate as science knew them at the time instead of just monsters. The movies full of shots like the iconic brachiosaur reveal that show the audience these aren't some evil beasts from hell. Even the T-Rex is shown to not be dedicated to evil and instead just in search of a good meal, finding the Raptors tastier than humans in the finale. When you make it so they're just ahistorical frankensteins then theres no mystique or wonder. Retconning the lack of feathers to being a PR stunt undercuts the themes of the original and makes me wonder why I should even care about the dinos since now they're apparently just the theme park version of Goldblum in the Fly.

Who cares what worked in Jurassic Park, you can just watch Jurassic Park again. They’re presumably trying to make a different movie

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

DeimosRising posted:

Who cares what worked in Jurassic Park

Yeah, forget all those core concepts that made Jurassic Park an incredible film. He's not saying they need to copy the first film, but that they didn't need to stray far from those things that took the film to another level and not schlock.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I thought Jurassic Park was intentionally about artifice and how audiences essentially created the monsters by imagining them to be evil lizards instead of goofy birds. Isn't that kind of a crucial plot point?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Martman posted:

I thought Jurassic Park was intentionally about artifice and how audiences essentially created the monsters by imagining them to be evil lizards instead of goofy birds. Isn't that kind of a crucial plot point?

That's played up more in Crichton's book. Wu wanted to engineer the dinosaurs to be docile and stupid but Hammond kept pushing for more aggressive species because he thought the spectacle would put more asses in seats. This angle changed somewhat when Hammond's character was rewritten in the film to be more sympathetic. In that version it would be more accurate to say that Jurassic Park operated under the guise of cutting-edge science but in reality cut corners all over the place to get the product out as fast as they could. Before they even knew what they had, they patented it, and packaged it, and uh slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now you’re selling it, you want to sell it, well.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

There might be an interesting meta subtext to how the Dino’s look as well. We all now know that velociraptor’s were much smaller than what was portrayed in that first film, and that they were covered in feathers. But those aren’t Jurassic Park’s raptors. When those were designed for the first movie, they were designed to reflect what the top minds of science thought they looked like, but there hasn’t been much of an attempt to update them to better reflect our advancements in knowledge since. Similarly, Jurassic World went with the “classic” raptor designs, when it could have made a choice to update them accordingly. On a moviemaking level, it’s branding - to audiences, that’s just what raptors look like. But in-universe it implies that research in making the dinosaurs more accurate plateaued at some point, either due to science not being able to catch up, or a lack of interest. Again, branding. Dr. Wu has been creating designer dinosaurs for twenty years, and his creations are “Hammond’s creations.” In their tryhard attempt to honor his original vision, the curators of Jurassic World kept the dinosaurs as they were, because that’s what the public is familiar with as well, even in-universe. Ultimately Malcom was right; Jurassic World isn’t about bringing dinosaurs back to life, it’s about a product. It’s about keeping a franchise alive by relying on nostalgia, both in reality and in the world of the movie itself.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You see brief glimpses of how those themes could have worked in Jurassic World but ultimately the script was too dumb to fully commit.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

exquisite tea posted:

You see brief glimpses of how those themes could have worked in Jurassic World but ultimately the script was too dumb to fully commit.

Something that gets majorly brushed away is the bit between Jake Johnson and Bryce Dallas-Howard where Johnson talks up having an original Jurassic Park shirt, and bemoans that the original park was “legit.” Like at face value its a poorly constructed gag, but it’s also the only time we get insight into what the public perception of the original Park was, and interestingly, even with all of the deaths that occurred, there appears to be a kind of morbid nostalgia for it, kind of like how people romanticize the sinking of the Titanic now. Like people willingly go to Jurassic World, even with the body count attached to the brand, because ultimately that matters more. The script to Jurassic World has a lot of interesting concepts about franchises and brands in general, but simply lacks the cinematic vocabulary (and perhaps interest) in expanding on them.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

They could have run with that concept and had the JW board of directors intentionally sabotage the security because a couple visitor deaths here and there would increase their bottom line and bring thrillseekers back to the park, even after a couple lawsuits. Imagine our heroes happening upon some freshly pressed "I survived Jurassic World!" t-shirts ready to be packaged and sold.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Fart City posted:

There might be an interesting meta subtext to how the Dino’s look as well. We all now know that velociraptor’s were much smaller than what was portrayed in that first film, and that they were covered in feathers. But those aren’t Jurassic Park’s raptors. When those were designed for the first movie, they were designed to reflect what the top minds of science thought they looked like, but there hasn’t been much of an attempt to update them to better reflect our advancements in knowledge since. Similarly, Jurassic World went with the “classic” raptor designs, when it could have made a choice to update them accordingly. On a moviemaking level, it’s branding - to audiences, that’s just what raptors look like. But in-universe it implies that research in making the dinosaurs more accurate plateaued at some point, either due to science not being able to catch up, or a lack of interest. Again, branding. Dr. Wu has been creating designer dinosaurs for twenty years, and his creations are “Hammond’s creations.” In their tryhard attempt to honor his original vision, the curators of Jurassic World kept the dinosaurs as they were, because that’s what the public is familiar with as well, even in-universe. Ultimately Malcom was right; Jurassic World isn’t about bringing dinosaurs back to life, it’s about a product. It’s about keeping a franchise alive by relying on nostalgia, both in reality and in the world of the movie itself.

They called them velociraptors because deinonychus was deemed too cumbersome

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Calaveron posted:

They called them velociraptors because deinonychus was deemed too cumbersome

I’d never heard that before, but it adds another wrinkle to the overall muddying of velociraptors in public perception if true. If I remember correctly raptors aren’t even that big of a factor in the original novel (outside of finding some eggs), so that would put that solely on the shoulders of the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Utahraptor is closer to the movie raptors. Actually looking at the wiki the Achillobator is the closest thing to the movie raptors.

• Locked thread