Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MrMojok posted:

They are fools if they don't add guns to the dinos. There is no reason a raptor can't wear a harness with a minigun or possibly recoilless rifle on it. Why not done?!?

I too have been waiting for a stealth Dino-Riders adaptation for decades. Not even joking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

McSpanky posted:

I too have been waiting for a stealth Dino-Riders adaptation for decades. Not even joking.

I really don't understand why this hasn't been done yet.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Here is my ranking of the Jurassic Park movies in regards to quality:

Jurassic Park
Jurassic Park: The Lost World
Jurassic Park 3
Jurassic World

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Save the dinosaurs from an island that is exploding? What in the blue loving hell?!?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
*in a Jenny Nicholson voice* we've got to save these dinos...

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Wasn't Malcolm all aboard the "you created monsters, not dinosaurs" train in the first movie? Glad to see he changed his tune.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
There is also just no peril in Jurassic World. Everything takes place in broad daylight, and the main characters are incredibly obviously the main characters. Let's see, are they going to kill off the older brother? No, he's not nearly enough of a piece of poo poo to do that and it's PG-13. They'd never kill off the questionably-autistic little brother, that's just so obviously not an option. How about Chris Pratt's character? Of course not. Nor are they going to kill off the redhead workaholic; she's obviously going to be into Chris's character because he's gross and that's how movies work.

I'm not trying to argue that the characters in the previous movies didn't seem obviously tagged with life or death, I'm just saying that the movie made it SEEM more dangerous. JP1 is fraught with danger - it's raining, nobody knows what the hell is going on, people have trouble communicating, dinosaurs spit nasty crap at peoples faces, Timmy get's shocked halfway to death... poo poo was going down. It's legitimately scary at times.

But you know what else? As much as I can pick apart Jurassic World it is still somehow a watchable movie. I don't know why, either; I should hate the movie - it's predictable, it's filled with somewhat bland CGI, and it never really goes as far as a fan of the first JP wants it to go. But I don't hate it - it sweet and goes down easy, like a milkshake.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 8, 2017

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn9mMeWcgoM

Black Mirror music!

Volcano!!!

Life finds a way :vince:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hope this one doubles down on the meanness of the first.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Not sure just doubling is enough.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

This series has to have to worst track record. We got one amazing movie in 1993 and nothing but poo poo since.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

All those dinosaurs drowning just made me sad. :(

This movie looks batshit crazy and I can't imagine what else is going to happen in it given that they show in the trailer how multiple threats against the characters are resolved.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I thought they set up a military using the dinosaurs thing in JW, no sign of it in this trailer. Have to think there is more to the plot than just going to the island to save the dinos

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

I hope the mosasaur was able to get free and roam the oceans.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

3 A.M. Radio posted:

The worst death (up until lady assistant in Jurassic World) was Eddie Carr in Lost World. The t-rexes ripped him apart. He was a good dude, trying to save a bunch of dumb, ungrateful assholes.

The T-Rex in 3 has the worst death in the whole series, dude gets his neck snapped like it's some Primal Rage fatality.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

MrMojok posted:

Save the dinosaurs from an island that is exploding? What in the blue loving hell?!?

I guess corporate policy now is to always go bigger with sequels. Why can't they just make a gritty dinosaur movie about surviving carnivorous dinosaurs? There's more than just raptors and T-Rex's you know.

The dinosaur scenes in Jackson's King Kong are still easily the best since the first Jurassic Park film.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Why do you need to save the dinosaurs when you can just clone then again

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Wandle Cax posted:

I thought they set up a military using the dinosaurs thing in JW, no sign of it in this trailer. Have to think there is more to the plot than just going to the island to save the dinos

B D Wong is confirmed to be in the movie, but he's also absent from the trailer.

I think this looks cool and I'll be there opening day because I'm a huge sucker for Jurassic Park, but the one thing about this movie's premise that has me scratching my head a little bit is that if this cataclysmic volcanic eruption was inevitable, did no one consider it as a possibility when the park was built in the first place? Like, let's say the disastrous events of 'Jurassic World' never took place, and there was just a happy dino theme park full of happy tourists. Would they have had enough warning to evacuate the still-operating park before a volcanic eruption devastated the place?
Like yeah I get that the volcano is a plot contrivance so this movie can have a ticking time bomb, but I'm genuinely ignorant re: real-world volcano predicting capabilities.

Also, Carnotaurus confirmed in the trailer!!! I've been waiting for those dudes since The Lost World book.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Ian Malcolm: Dinosaurs had their chance, and Mother Nature selected them for extinction!
Also Ian Malcolm: We need to save the dinos from this natural disaster!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mantis42 posted:

Ian Malcolm: Dinosaurs had their chance, and Mother Nature selected them for extinction!

Alan Grant in Jurassic Park: kids are gross and stupid
Also Alan Grant in Jurassic Park: hugs two kids close during the helicopter ride off the island

It's almost as if characters can grow and change over time.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

B D Wong is confirmed to be in the movie, but he's also absent from the trailer.

I think this looks cool and I'll be there opening day because I'm a huge sucker for Jurassic Park, but the one thing about this movie's premise that has me scratching my head a little bit is that if this cataclysmic volcanic eruption was inevitable, did no one consider it as a possibility when the park was built in the first place? Like, let's say the disastrous events of 'Jurassic World' never took place, and there was just a happy dino theme park full of happy tourists. Would they have had enough warning to evacuate the still-operating park before a volcanic eruption devastated the place?
Like yeah I get that the volcano is a plot contrivance so this movie can have a ticking time bomb, but I'm genuinely ignorant re: real-world volcano predicting capabilities.

Also, Carnotaurus confirmed in the trailer!!! I've been waiting for those dudes since The Lost World book.

Both Isla Nublar and Isla Sorna used geothermal power. I would assume that they are going to say that the eruptions are due to abandoned work they were in the middle of when Jurassic World was evacuated.

I can't remember, did they ever mention Isla Sorna in Jurassic World? While they built a working park on one island is the other still sitting there as a nature preserve?

Mantis42 posted:

The clip in the trailer sure didn't sound like Malcolm was advocating for the dinosaurs, he seemed to think they are a threat.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I guess, but Ian was kind of the messager of Jurassic Park's central thesis in that scene and I don't really see him changing his tune on the whole thing.

Senor Tron posted:

The clip in the trailer sure didn't sound like Malcolm was advocating for the dinosaurs, he seemed to think they are a threat.

It's probably this, I just assume that's what he's advocating given the question that was asked.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Dec 8, 2017

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Senor Tron posted:

Yeah, "life finds a way" was part of the speech he gave in the first movie warning Hammond that he wouldn't be able to control the dinosaurs.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Yaws posted:

This series has to have to worst track record. We got one amazing movie in 1993 and nothing but poo poo since.

I'm seeing a weird "expectation" pattern with you. Like, I could see not expecting TLW and taking it on its own terms when viewing as being completely different, but there's no way it's possibly "poo poo," just given how ridiculously well crafted some of the scenes are (moreso than JP1 in half of the cases) and Kaminski upping the cinematography over the first. The only explanation to ignore that is not caring about what it was going for and feels like but more for what it matches what you expected or wanted.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Senor Tron posted:

Both Isla Nublar and Isla Sorna used geothermal power. I would assume that they are going to say that the eruptions are due to abandoned work they were in the middle of when Jurassic World was evacuated.

I can't remember, did they ever mention Isla Sorna in Jurassic World? While they built a working park on one island is the other still sitting there as a nature preserve?
I don't recall Site B getting mentioned in JW, but you may have just answered the question of "where are they taking the dinosaurs after they evacuate them?"

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

Alan Grant in Jurassic Park: kids are gross and stupid
Also Alan Grant in Jurassic Park: hugs two kids close during the helicopter ride off the island

It's almost as if characters can grow and change over time.

I think the difference is that Grant changes in the film, Malcolm never does and sudden gives a poo poo because...? I can't remember him ever caring starting to care about the Dinosaurs in 2 though if he does then gently caress it.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017
Is Site B going to play any role in this film or is JP doing the thing where only the first movie is canon and they ignore all the sequels prior to the brand relaunch?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

I think the difference is that Grant changes in the film, Malcolm never does and sudden gives a poo poo because...? I can't remember him ever caring starting to care about the Dinosaurs in 2 though if he does then gently caress it.

This film is like 20 years later it's possible he may have changed his mind in that time

Stahlgeist
Nov 19, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

From what he says in the trailer (Probably most of his lines in the film right there), his stance is more or less the same as it was in Jurassic Park. He starts by remarking about how he's being asked to talk about dinosaurs again, and repeats line for line his warnings from the first movie. It sounds less like he just began caring about dinosaurs and more like he's being dragged into talking about it again.

That's actually one thing that stands out about Malcolm - he never stops seeing them as monsters that don't belong here. Even in The Lost World, he's just there to find his girlfriend and doesn't give a drat about dinosaur welfare. He's one of the least involved in the Greenpeace antics the rest of his group gets into, and his main concern is that InGen will bring the animals to the mainland and create another disaster. Other characters that survive their encounters with dinosaurs like Grant and the Kirbys tend to come around to appreciating them on another level at the end of the movie.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Senor Tron posted:

All those dinosaurs drowning just made me sad. :(

The alien ships beam them up out of the water right after that. Don't worry.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Wandle Cax posted:

This film is like 20 years later it's possible he may have changed his mind in that time

Plus throughout TLW the biggest thing going on is
the parent t-rex trying to rescue their kid and the movie isn't subtle about that being a parallel to Malcom's situation. So it's not like the seed wasn't planted pretty clearly in his own movie that he might see them as more than monsters later on.

You want an abrupt Jurassic Park character change check out Pete Postlethwaite's Great White Hunter dude in TWL. Guy goes from a demonstrably ruthless unflappable rear end in a top hat even in the face of the t-rex to sick of his life and retired in the span of a few seconds. Like there had to be a deleted scene or something.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Top Gun posted:

Is Site B going to play any role in this film or is JP doing the thing where only the first movie is canon and they ignore all the sequels prior to the brand relaunch?
I remember some sort of official timeline referenced the events of TLW and JP3, and the official movie website mentions them as well.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

You want an abrupt Jurassic Park character change check out Pete Postlethwaite's Great White Hunter dude in TWL. Guy goes from a demonstrably ruthless unflappable rear end in a top hat even in the face of the t-rex to sick of his life and retired in the span of a few seconds. Like there had to be a deleted scene or something.

He hunted and captured alive the greatest predator the world had ever known, he achieved the very thing that the had come to the island for in the first place. And in the process his best friend was killed.

I didn't get that he was "sick of life" at all, but it was perfectly understandable that he would walk away at that point.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It feels super abrupt in the film itself.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

bucketybuck posted:

He hunted and captured alive the greatest predator the world had ever known, he achieved the very thing that the had come to the island for in the first place. And in the process his best friend was killed.

I didn't get that he was "sick of life" at all, but it was perfectly understandable that he would walk away at that point.

Yeah, a modern or more "by the numbers" film would've had him come back in the climax of the rampage in the city but I think it's the right choice (or at least interesting and expectation-defying) to have that character just be broken. It lingers a bit. He doesn't get a payoff because sometimes people just don't, especially people who get what they want and find out it's not really what they want.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
If the movie is just about the volcano going off then they have pretty much shown us the money shot in the teaser trailer with the ball flying off the cliff. I don't think they will do that. I think there is probably a second act that will be a bigger badder version of dinosaurs on the main land from The Lost World. Also I don't think we saw Ian Malcom anywhere but the court room.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

If the movie is just about the volcano going off then they have pretty much shown us the money shot in the teaser trailer with the ball flying off the cliff. I don't think they will do that. I think there is probably a second act that will be a bigger badder version of dinosaurs on the main land from The Lost World. Also I don't think we saw Ian Malcom anywhere but the court room.

Goldblum said he's barely in the movie and isn't even sure he'd be in the final cut.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Weird trailer, I’ll watch the film anyway

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Looke posted:

Weird trailer, I’ll watch the film anyway

My guess volcano stuff was really all that was finished so that's why we got basically an entire complete sequence as a trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Wandle Cax posted:

No one cares what happens off the camera though, so it comes off as a stupid way to just get Goldblum back into the picture as a "Hey! Remember this character everyone loves and has been turned into a meme? You remember!"

Neo Rasa posted:

Plus throughout TLW the biggest thing going on is

TLW and Jurassic Park 3 "didn't happen" according to Trevorrow.

• Locked thread