Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
This just seemed like a raising of the stakes of each one. Gennaro gets eaten by the t-rex in the original, the guy helping Malcom and friends gets ripped in half and eaten after heroically sticking around and figuring out a way to save everyone else. Everyone in Jurassic Park III was an rear end in a top hat for most of the movie so none of its deaths felt "mean" but IIRC it also had a not pleasant death for a "regular guy" character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

McSpanky posted:

I too have been waiting for a stealth Dino-Riders adaptation for decades. Not even joking.

I really don't understand why this hasn't been done yet.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Wandle Cax posted:

This film is like 20 years later it's possible he may have changed his mind in that time

Plus throughout TLW the biggest thing going on is
the parent t-rex trying to rescue their kid and the movie isn't subtle about that being a parallel to Malcom's situation. So it's not like the seed wasn't planted pretty clearly in his own movie that he might see them as more than monsters later on.

You want an abrupt Jurassic Park character change check out Pete Postlethwaite's Great White Hunter dude in TWL. Guy goes from a demonstrably ruthless unflappable rear end in a top hat even in the face of the t-rex to sick of his life and retired in the span of a few seconds. Like there had to be a deleted scene or something.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It feels super abrupt in the film itself.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Everything outside of what we've seen in the teaser is a re-shoot of Theodore Rex.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Yeah, the human-dino hybrid would have been stupid as gently caress and I would have absolutely loved it. If you're going go down the route of genetically inventing new dinosaurs, don't just give us a larger T-Rex. I want to see some weird rear end poo poo.

I don't think an actual script was written but a treatment got leaked and it was literally Resident Evil 4 with a lone action hero kind of guy infiltrating/getting captured in a medieval castle that was cover for a dino/human hybrid lab some of which he befriends and helps escape.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Top Gun posted:

That's stupid though because the original film tried to be science accurate when possible. The labs shown in that film didn't have loving spinal cords in jars and poo poo.

We're supposed to think dinosaurs getting made is totally rad in Jurassic Park, in Jurassic World it's a lab dictated by marketing and corporate, so it having "mad science" visual shorthand makes sense.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I mean, in the case of an artificially created animal wouldn't you still have to make sure it does or does not do X thing when designing it?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

This movie's title is so self-serious. Like they should have gone with Hyperjurassic: Jurassic World II or Jurassic Universe or whatever.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

I think she looked up in awe for a fraction of a second (no really, it is that brief) because it’s a legitimately impressive mansion. About the only thing it has in common with the Brachiosaurus reveal is that it’s a character acknowledging that something is visually impressive. The mansion doesn’t have the sweeping music, the long camera hold, the characters staring in disbelief at something that should be impossible. It’s a big mansion, and she’s acknowledging that through body language rather than saying “that’s a big mansion” out loud.

For comparison, Fallen Kingdom has a literal brachiosaurus reveal that’s handled a lot differently from the mansion (and very similar to how it was handled in JP).

That is one big pile of mansion.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

The game you’re describing was almost made (twice!) and got canceled for various reasons. The second iteration was actually fairly recent.

Let’s go back to our YouTube buddy Klayton Fioriti for a video about it:

https://youtu.be/fJmS5V76O-8

Another noteworthy game was Jurassic Park Trespasser. Most people remember it as “that lovely, broken FPS where you could look down and see your own boobs”, but there was a lot more to it (and its development) than that. It had a lot of innovative and groundbreaking stuff, and extremely lofty goals - Gabe Newell cited Trespasser as the game that inspired Half-Life 2’s physics system - but it was an example of the developers’ reach exceeding their grasp. Trespasser is less of a wacky train wreck and more of a tragic failure.

If you want to know more about Trespasser, I HIGHLY recommend the Let’s Play done by goon Research Indicates from, like, a decade ago. He goes deep into the game’s development while also playing through the game’s janky, broken gameplay so you don’t have to. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0058A651EB882B48

If it came out today it would have been like an emergent gaming darling and dominated Twitch streams for a year and a half straight. Inadvertently waaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of its time in that respect.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

You’d think it would be hard to misplace an 80-ton sauropod but I’ve done it repeatedly when they wander into a forest. Like, they just vanish.

I still :lol: thinking about the US Godzilla movie from 1998 and how a major part of the "tension" in later parts of the film involves the air force losing track of Godzilla repeatedly as it's walking around the streets of Midtown and having to actively seek out where Godzilla could possibly be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I feel like the Trex only was there because well we all expect her to be, just so she can make a cameo

Rewatching The Lost World recently, I think my favorite part of it is how the t-rex, like, has an arc about saving its family.

• Locked thread