Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Jurassic World is, all things considered, probably the worst movie ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Yaws posted:

What did people like about Jurassic World? I suppose on a base level watching dinosaurs eat people will always be cool but I think prefer Carnosaur to Jurassic World.

A grand total of one (1) person is eaten by a dinosaur in Jurassic World. Offscreen.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Darko posted:

(5) are eaten onscreen (I-Rex eats the guy observed while hiding under the car as the cinematic language is lifting to eat as opposed to mauling, chews and eats the person very obviously only obscured by foliage by rating, eats two more people while rampaging as he swallows them, the water thing eats both the pteradon and the assistant at once). Multiple others can be assumed to be eaten offscreen (raptors at least chew on multiple mercs in the Aliens ripoff scenes, the pteradon carries away the guy that fell off of the helicopter, the I-Rex probably eats others).

Reptiles and aliens don’t count*, though I’ll admit I completely forgot the idiotic quasi-found-footage scene.

*The white thing is just a differently-shaped Alien/Predator.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Inescapable Duck posted:

The kill counts don't really interest me much, but then again I was never a fan of horror movies. It seems like one of those things where nerds care about specifics and statistics completely divorced from actual context, though it can be used to bring up points about how something is depicted can be much more important than what is actually depicted.

You misunderstand. My point is that they made a Jurassic Park movie where both the dinosaurs and the theme-park setting are narratively vestigial.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The island exploding is obviously just the premise, and the actual film will be ‘what do we do with all these mutant frogbirds?’

Undoubtedly a weird mix of refugee/immigration metaphor, endangered species/conservation metaphor, and pet industry metaphor (touching on the not-so-topical topic of pet cloning and genetically engineered pets, but really just saying “isn’t it hosed up that you can just walk down the street and buy a hamster?”).

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

AlternateAccount posted:

This looks completely stupid, and hell, why not?

The original JP is one of the few Perfect Movies, don't try to ape that, just go nuts and have a good time.

The problem is precisely that they are aping JP.

Jurassic Park was about the attempt at recreating the prehistoric world - literally filling in the gaps in the fossil record with whatever seemed 'natural'.

Jurassic World is about the ease of creating movie monsters out of random bullshit.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Doublehex posted:

Wait, what? Are you serious?

Yep. Remember the opening scene, with the two eggs? They explain that the monster ate its sibling, which is a total non-sequitur in the final cut. It was once a metaphor.

The entire film originally centered around the rebellious older brother bullying the autistic younger brother - intentionally endangering him, in an effort to ‘toughen him up’.

Chris Pratt and Jessica Chastain were also originally far more antagonistic to eachother, so the film was to end with everyone resolving to stop being total assholes and come together as a surrogate family for the autistic kid.

These interpersonal conflicts were cut from the film, to make the characters more ‘likeable.’ Consequently, large chunks of the film make no narrative sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Beefstew posted:

I don't remember Trevorrow ever saying this. What I do remember is him saying that it was deliberately done to subvert expectations by giving a death to someone who didn't deserve it. Whether or not he's covering his rear end to mask his tone deafness is up for debate, but I've only ever seen reference to her being mean in deleted scenes as part of online conjecture trying to justify her death scene.

Both sides are true. The nanny doesn’t deserve it, but the older brother believes that she does.

The ‘The Birds’ rip-off imagery is there as part of a botched psychosexual subtext where the older brother’s hatred of the nanny is materialized in nightmarish form as this bird flying reptile attack.

That’s why it’s there’s so much emphasis on the kids watching it happen.

Since most interpersonal conflict was cut from the film, however - including the childrens’ conflict with the nanny, the older brother’s sexism, etc. - the scene comes across as a bizarre non-sequitur.

• Locked thread