Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Have a promo video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ3GlUDdrqg

Inescapable Duck posted:

Jurassic World gets a lot of passes because it has some interesting ideas (Jurassic Park if it actually got up and running and then poo poo went wrong, genetically engineered super-dinosaurs) and executes them adequately, but doesn't otherwise elevate the material.

I'm pretty sure that the decision to not elevate the material was pretty deliberate. JW is extremely similar to Star Wars: The Force Awakens in that it's a comfy pillowy soft reboot whose entire function is to go "Heyyyyy, remember this? Remember how this made you feel when you were a kid? Wasn't this awesome when you first saw it? Remember this guy? And this monster? Hey here's a [plot device] just like the other one you remember but even bigger! Oh hey here's that vehicle that was in all those scenes you loved!"

It fuckin' worked too, JW and SW:TFA were some of the biggest box office draws in the history of cinema.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Dec 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Timby posted:

I think Goldblum himself said he's in the movie for like five minutes.

This teaser trailer shows him in a senate hearing or something which I guess will pretty much be all he does

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JvrgSPFbDs

Note also that the teaser leans really really heavily on the "Hey check out how many practical effects we're using this time!" message

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

That's from some random guy's DeviantArt page: https://cgsoufiane.deviantart.com/art/Raptors-474694748

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Detective No. 27 posted:

Claire not going to jail is probably the most realistic thing in the movie. She probably got a job offer at the Trump Administration.

They probably pinned the blame for the JW fiasco on Masrani

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

935 posted:

Point of interest, according to director, all trailer footage is from the first 50 minutes of the movie.

Yeah just from reading through the list of characters on the imdb page such as Saudi Royals Auction Consultant or Russian Mob Guy there's going to be a whole lot more to the plot.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Wandle Cax posted:

Or a sign the film is not finished yet

Yeah it doesn't hit cinemas for another 6 months

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
There's a bunch of concept art floating around of half human/half dino hybrid creatures (some with cybernetically attached guns) that were allegedly created for an unmade JP4 film so they were apparently leaning heavily into that at one point. The human/raptor hybrid looked like the lovely CGI Lizard from the Amazing Spider-Man movie.

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/41330/meet-raptorman-an-extinct-species-of-concept-art-from-jurassic-park-4
http://jurassicpark.wikia.com/wiki/Dinosaur-human_hybrid

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The drat movie should've focused on Wu.

McSpanky posted:

Holy poo poo why are we not getting The Island of Doctor Wu

Wu will definitely be back in JW:FK and there's a bunch of chatter online speculating on how his research may have proceeded after JW based on certain bits of info that people have dug up ....

There's a supposed new type of hybrid dino called an Indoraptor that will be in JW:FK which sounds a lot like the smaller weaponised version of the Indominus Rex that Hoskins was talking about at the end of JW. One of the film's producers accidentally posted the word Indoraptor in a tweet instead of Indominus a few days ago and hastily changed it (someone still managed to screencap it before he changed it) and a fan noticed that Amblin has also taken out several merchandising trademarks on Indoraptor.

Edit: spoilered because I'm not sure if this info is official yet

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Yeah, the human-dino hybrid would have been stupid as gently caress and I would have absolutely loved it. If you're going go down the route of genetically inventing new dinosaurs, don't just give us a larger T-Rex. I want to see some weird rear end poo poo.

Yeah they're being suuuuuuper careful about slowly getting the audience used to the idea of crazy weird dinos. They spent a whole lot of time preparing the audience for it in JW by dropping in little bits and pieces about loving around with dino DNA throughout the first half of the film and then stopping the plot halfway through so two minor characters could sit and have a conversation about it and then at the very end of the film they showed some freaky combo lizards in the lab and some combo dinosaurs images on monitors:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Timby posted:

He survived in the book, at least.

I think he also survived in the comicbook adaptation. They still had the "Clever girl ..." scene where the raptors blindside him but he somehow managed to survive (albeit badly injured) and comes back later.

Edit: yep

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 12, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

viral spiral posted:

It looks like two different movies merged into one. Fighting hybrid mutant dinosaurs created by greedy corporate fucks while also escaping from an exploding Island?

I'm pretty sure that the first half of the movie is getting convinced to return to the island and then escaping from it when it explodes, and then the second half is finding out where the greedy corporate fucks took all the dinosaurs and getting them back while fighting mutant hybrids. So yeah, pretty sharp tonal shift in the middle.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Uncle Wemus posted:

Franchise is starting to get a little weird, guys.

Well it's about goddamn time.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Xenomrph posted:

I think she looked up in awe for a fraction of a second (no really, it is that brief) because it’s a legitimately impressive mansion. About the only thing it has in common with the Brachiosaurus reveal is that it’s a character acknowledging that something is visually impressive. The mansion doesn’t have the sweeping music, the long camera hold, the characters staring in disbelief at something that should be impossible. It’s a big mansion, and she’s acknowledging that through body language rather than saying “that’s a big mansion” out loud.

For comparison, Fallen Kingdom has a literal brachiosaurus reveal that’s handled a lot differently from the mansion (and very similar to how it was handled in JP).

There were a few actual callback shots like Owen's reflection in the old Jeep's "Objects in mirror are larger than they appear" mirror when he was stalking Blue, and Rexy busting through a safety fence at the zoo right at the end.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

s.i.r.e. posted:

So, RLM's review of the film went up and YouTube took it down because This video has been removed for violating YouTube's policy on spam, deceptive practices, and scams. lol, never seen that before.

Someone else re-uploaded it and it probably does legitimately break Youtube's rules on "deceptive practices" because it's about 1:30 of the Canadian guys just sitting there and then 20 minutes of black screen with the first two and a half bars of the Jurassic Park theme played over and over and over

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENTHMBooqEM

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fart City posted:

Especially because outside of dogs there’s not really a real-world equivalent to point to as an example of that practice.

Inside of dogs it's too dark to point anything out! :groucho:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bobby Digital posted:

Make the next movie about Blue and her adventures.

I'd love a remake of the TV show The Littlest Hobo but with Blue instead of a German Shepherd

"Every stop I make, I eat a new friend
Can't stay for long just turn around and I'm gone again"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgGKSjiw0HQ

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I bet there was a version of the script where the bad guys nearly escaped in the finale but the mosasaur suddenly appeared and ate them after having traveled all the way from Isla Nublar specifically to gently caress them up until someone went "Uh, that's a bit too Jaws 4, guys."

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

olives black posted:

That scene is funny because it's obvious that that claw is not attached to anything. I actually thought that it was severed from the T-Rex's arm when I first saw it. Easily one of the worst practical effects that I've ever seen.

Hey, the T rex knew that electricty = hurty hurty so it was timidly crouching down and reaching up over its head to tap the wire. Now you may argue that its physically impossible for a Tyrannosaur to position its arm like that but ... uh .... life finds a .... way?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
She tried to throw a goat's leg on it at first and missed and couldn't reach to pick up a stick so she had to nut up and just grab it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
There's no way that a T rex could get itself into a position where it could reach up and grab something with its arm but no other part of its body is visible in the shot.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

glad she is dead posted:

The dramatic tension of only seeing a tiny bit of the monster is easily worth some spatial sleight of hand.

Yeah, I've seen the movie a ton of times and I never ever noticed that until olives black pointed it out yesterday. That scene is the big payoff to pretty much everything else in the film up to that point (including all the promotional material and ads) and Spielberg played it perfectly. The dramatic tension suddenly just ramps up and up and up and UP right from the ripples in the cup of water onwards and it totally paid off.

Edit: this is great :haw:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD-DmvbGXUE&t=197s

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jul 5, 2018

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Not to harp on what is a pretty minor shot in a great scene but I found a copy of Phil Tippett's pre-prod claymotion animatic for the scene and he obviously struggled with it as well, he had Rexy coming straight at the fence instead of standing side on. If you block out the shot using an entire T-rex model and not just a disembodied arm that's pretty much the only way it could work and even then I think he fudged the position of the fence in relation to the T-rex's head and the car in order to have the arm being visible before the rest of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oelBtZHkL4c&t=392s
(6:32 in case the timestamp doesn't work.)

They obviously had difficulties with final shot in the film as well, they hide a sneaky cut in there where you see the arm grab the fence out in the open but then it immediately cuts to the exact same image as seen from behind the car's window with the lifesize animatronic T-rex popping up.

Edit: I was curious so I looked up some early versions of the script (January 19 1991 Michael Crichton script, March 14 1992 Maria Scotch Marmo re-write) and in both of them the first glimpse we get of the T-rex is of its paws gripping the fence so it was obviously an image that Spielberg really loved and wanted to include right from the start.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jul 5, 2018

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Vintersorg posted:

Plus isn't that basically impossible since later on they plummet down? Or is that a different area?

People have been arguing over it for years and have even drawn maps showing how it would all be possible but apparently the original plan was for the T-rex to drag the front car a certain distance or across the road to where there was a steep drop off but that got cut out of the final edit so now that cliff just suddenly appears out of nowhere.

Edit: in the 1991 Crichton script the T-Rex just picks up the car and puts it in a tree, in the 1992 re-write it pushes it a fair way and then tosses it over a steep embankment into a tree.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 5, 2018

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

glad she is dead posted:

Was the smashed up Explorer in Fallen Kingdom supposed to be the same car that the Rex attacked?

I just googled it and they're both labeled 04 so yeah, they're supposed to be the same car (even though the missing tyre is in a different position to the tyre that got ripped off by Rexy in JP1)

Edit: oh and remember the scene where the boat is pulling away from the island and everyone stands and watches as a lone brachiosaurus stands on the edge of the dock and screams in terror as it's consumed by lava?? The director has confirmed that that specific brachiosaurus was the same dinosaur that Grant and Ellie first saw when they visited Jurassic Park, and they even used the same animation of it rearing up on its hind legs for that shot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJlmYh27MHg
:toot:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 5, 2018

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fart City posted:

God, can we just take a minute and appreciate how RAD AS gently caress it is that they built a full size T. Rex animatronic? Sure, maybe it got the shakes when it got too wet. Whatever.

Still rad. As. gently caress.

The Stan Winston school has a whole bunch of videos up on youtube about the creation of that crazy thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEXpKda61dg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SK1qTnhHzI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoswY2-1AbM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZtJVh3nUyU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iwumLz6lso

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI9mDRWl3mw

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I was talking about the franchise with my brother today and we were trying to come up with the list of stuff that HAS to happen in a JP film:

- Kids have to get in danger, grumpy adult(s) has to slowly discover their parenting instincts
- People fleeing/racing in the middle of a dino stampede
- Someone falls, usually inside a vehicle/container and usually pushed by a dino
- Dino bodily fluids: someone has to dig through dinosaur poo poo or gets covered in dino goo/spit/snot or douses themselves with T-rex pee or gets splattered with dino blood

I'm sure there's a bunch more that happen in every single film

Top Gun posted:

I didn't mind the mansion part. What I did mind is them being released into California at the end. It's silly, its been done before (The Lost World), and they make it seem like some huge thing that's "gonna change everything!" but in real life those animals would get mowed down or captured within hours. Days at most.

I dont want some goofy Planet of the Apes with Dinosaurs that's not what the JP series was about.

It was supposed to be about that at one point, or at least the threat of dinos escaping the island was intended to be a major plot point right from the start. In Crichton's original script the people on the island were desperately trying to survive but at the same time they were trying to find a way to contact the ship that left and force it to turn around because they realised that a bunch of raptors had snuck on board and would get loose on the mainland. (The book ended on a similar note.)

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 10, 2018

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Cockmaster posted:

Do enough people still remember Dinotopia that any producer would ever bother with it?

Eh, it pretty much sells itself on its visuals even if people don't remember it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

exquisite tea posted:

Blue should have hit the big red button at the end, she's the most well-developed character in this accursed series.

The Stygimoloch that Owen used to escape the jail cell and break up the auction should have Kramered into the room and accidentally smashed the button

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fart City posted:

Something that gets majorly brushed away is the bit between Jake Johnson and Bryce Dallas-Howard where Johnson talks up having an original Jurassic Park shirt, and bemoans that the original park was “legit.” Like at face value its a poorly constructed gag, but it’s also the only time we get insight into what the public perception of the original Park was, and interestingly, even with all of the deaths that occurred, there appears to be a kind of morbid nostalgia for it, kind of like how people romanticize the sinking of the Titanic now. Like people willingly go to Jurassic World, even with the body count attached to the brand, because ultimately that matters more. The script to Jurassic World has a lot of interesting concepts about franchises and brands in general, but simply lacks the cinematic vocabulary (and perhaps interest) in expanding on them.

Only five people died in Jurassic Park, they actually had a better track record than Disneyland up until the Indominus incident. The Titanic had a bigger death rate than JP before it even hit the iceberg (heck, before it even left the shipyard). :v:

(16 people died in JP2 and 5 died in JP3 but they all happened over at Isla Sorna.)

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fart City posted:

“Yeah, but, John, if The Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists.”

Technically that's correct, but it turns out that the Pirates of the Caribbean ride regularly eats parts of the tourists.
https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/disneys-pirates-of-the-caribbean-ride-keeps-chopping-off-tourists-fingers-6550961
:v:

• Locked thread