Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Jurassic World has it's camera too high in relation to it's dinosaurs, making the Indominus not as menacing as it could have been. Only the breakout scene and a brief moment where it corners Pratt and Bryce in ye olde Jurassic does it seem huge and imposing. Spielberg always knew to keep his camera at a human level, and it's something that Johnston carried on mostly, except Johnston also did this shot at 00:00:19 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT8TUowrkLU), of the animatronic Spino swinging Nash around and it's the worst shot in any JP film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

The Lost World is certainly the best of the sequels for me, it just hasn't got a great script.

In Jurassic Park you have this awesome second act where there are lots of revelations, reversals and characters coming to realisations. For example, I love it in films where the characters are in a bad situation and they try to claw their way out only to slip deeper into trouble because of an unexpected yet inevitable repercussion, and Jurassic Park has an all timer where they they reboot the entire system which gives the Raptors time to get loose.

But The Lost World doesn't really have any of that, the second act is essentially just characters getting to one geographic space to another as different dinosaurs attack them. There is a slight negative repercussion bit with the blood on the jacket but that's more due to somebody (Sarah Harding, palaeontologist) being really stupid when they should know better. So it's a just a string of set-pieces really.

But those set-pieces loving rule. I'd argue that the Trailer scene is one of the most exquisitely crafted blockbuster set-piece moments of the nineties (really only rivalled by the Rex attack on in the first movie), and the long-grass scene, the T-Rex chase with the waterfall and the entire final act are all exceptional. It also has the best deaths of the series, a genuinely menacing tone, beautiful and oppressive cinematography, and great gymnastics.

As for this new one, it's also awesome. It has as many story problems as the Lost World, both in terms of the thin characters and a confusing animal rights theme that gets kind of contradicted (all the dinosaurs are confirmed to be unnatural creations in one way or another, but the Indoraptor needs to be destroyed. Why? Yes it's super dangerous but so is Blue and the T-Rex, why is the Indoraptor unworthy of life when they need to be protected.

But it's so much fun, the fact that it turns into a gothic horror film in its second half is the freshest thing the series has seen in a long while and Bayona clearly relishes all this stuff, sometimes it's cool to see a good director cut loose and have a little fun

Karloff fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 11, 2018

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Isla Sorna no longer has dinosaurs on it because they got transferred to Nublar or killed by the Spinosaurus which was actually a prototype Hybrid Monster, which is why it was so pissed off and violent.

This is all revealed on some viral marketing website, but has been helpfully compiled into some of those Kayton Fiori videos for people who don't want to go sifting through a bunch of marketing.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Das Ende posted:

Well, I suppose he could have meant a guest may have sprained their ankle while walking over to the sick triceratops, but for the scene to function as any kind of foreshadowing, he probably meant it the way the audience took it. Gravely saying "It could have been worse, John. A lot worse"? Feels like he saw the trailer. Perhaps with Gennaro, who ran from the car apparently purely because of the rain.

Or he knows they are keeping a forty foot long, twenty foot tall carnivorous animal of which no one has any zoological experience of behind a fence which the very first tour is going to go past, and is understandably nervous about it.

And Gennaro ran from the car because of this same animal, not because of the rain.

In fact, I don't understand your complaint at all. Gennaro's decision to flee is cowardly but makes perfect sense. He just saw a massive animal eat a goat whole. He know the power is out and so there is nothing stopping said animal from breaking out. He is not much bigger than a goat and therefore in palpable danger from said animal. So he panics and runs away.

I feel I need to break it down like this because you somehow watched the scene and thought "Lol, how dumb, why would he run away, did he see the trailer, film stupid!"

Karloff fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 2, 2018

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Das Ende posted:

I mean, I guess. It's possible that after designing the place, Arnold has no confidence in the integrity of any of the security systems, and is relieved, and will always be relieved, that people didn't get killed. All I know is that if something lovely happens to me, and someone says "It could have been worse, Brett. It could have been a lot worse", I'd probably think, "What the gently caress are you talking about? Do you know something I don't?" He's oddly cryptic because he is indeed foreshadowing, but he's doing so by passing on the knowledge of the screenwriter.

Gennaro, in the car, knowing the power was out (at least in his vehicle), was trying to take a nap and ordering Tim not to play with night vision goggles. Then upon seeing that a goat leg can be thrown through a fence, he panicked and ran away from the perfectly intact fence, to the calm bewilderment of the characters in the other car. I would share this calm bewilderment, but wonder, "Does this guy know something?"

I'm not complaining. I'm just saying these characters seem to know what's up well in advance, when the scene requires it (drama in the control room dialogue, the need to eliminate an extraneous character).

Yes, Gennaro does know something. He know there's a T-Rex there because he just saw it! Your acting like Gennaro freaking out and running away is some amazing feat of pre-cognition. Worrying that the T-Rex might get out and pose a threat would be a logical, and sensible thought process for anyone in that situation with a brain . The only reason that the people in the other car react with calm bewilderment is because they have not seen the Rex yet.

Also, Arnold is apprehensive because he knows they are working with dangerous animals, and they have not fully tested a tour yet. I feel nervous at work when I suddenly need to show clients something which has not been fully tested, and I'm not working with carnivorous monsters. The fact that I worry that something might go wrong does not make me a magical time elf that can read the future.

People worry about all sorts of things, sometimes the thing that someone is worrying about comes to pass. Depicting this in a film is not bad writing.

Karloff fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 2, 2018

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Das Ende posted:

Sure Arnold's apprehensive. It's the difference between saying "It could have been worse" and the following up with a deadpan "It could have been a lot worse." If you showed clients something that hasn't been fully tested, things go badly, and then you told your frustrated colleague "It could have been worse. It could have been a lot worse", they would wonder what it is you know. Try it next time! It will go over weirdly.

As for Grant and Malcolm, they also know the power in their vehicles is out, and they also know there's a T-Rex behind the intact fence which may or may not be out. Is it just that they're not smart enough to see the obvious danger they're in without seeing either a T-Rex or goat leg? Indeed, though there isn't a reaction shot, why would they not have seen the Rex or the goat leg? They're right there. Gennaro isn't displaying precognition, he's displaying script necessity. He can't stay in the movie, so he reacts in advance to what the viewers know is coming anyway. Until yesterday, I always remembered him running away when the danger was more clear.

Why again is Grant so (briefly) cryptic about a few humans and a few dozen dinos being thrown "back in the mix" in another dramatic dialogue scene? This is all just script necessity. It's all weird behavior.

If I show clients something where the worst result of it going wrong is it killing the clients, and instead a more mundane issue occurs and the program stalls or whatever but everyone is fine, then my colleague would know exactly what I mean when I say "it could have been worse, a lot worse". Arnold's line would not make sense if he is working at a box making factory perhaps, but he is working at a zoo which contains highly dangerous animals, animals that have already killed someone and which the entire reason that people are visiting is to assess the safety

Gennaro is NOT acting in advance. He is acting out of immediate and present threat. Nor is Grant's apprehension unbelievable or weird at all, he is has literally just seen a a large cow get torn to shreds by animals that the professional handler made explicit are incredibly dangerous. There's a reason why the Raptor/Cow scene and the "Is this a good idea?" dinner sequence are placed together, it's so the audience understands why the characters are getting cold feet regarding de-extinct dinosaurs. If I had seen what Grant had seen I would probably voice concerns about it, the film specifically portrays what the Raptors do as violent and frightening. Also, bare in mind Grants job is to assess the safety of the park and voice concerns if he has them

I mean I don't know what more the film can do. Part of the challenge of crafting a narrative is to make character decisions seem like they come from somewhere, be it from the character's psychology, the situation they are in, or better yet, a combination of both. In all the instances that you bring up the film more than justifies the characters behaving in the way they do.

I mean in your preferred version of Jurassic Park I guess all the characters would all say how great the park is throughout the first act, Arnold, Hammond and Muldoon would all slap each other on the back regularly and say loudly how nothing is going to go wrong. Grant in the dinner scene would say "I have literally just seen a bunch of monsters tear a cow to pieces in seconds, but I don't find this is concerning at all, and I endorse this park fully despite my job being to assess the safety". And when Gennaro sees the Rex he would shrug his shoulders and go "oh well, I'm sure this will be fine".

Karloff fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 3, 2018

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

What about the entirety of Jaws: The Revenge. Maybe not major budget, but major studio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I believe it got refurbished for Lost World (in which they also built another second one) but I'm not 100%. An animatronic Rex also appears for one shot in III, which I think was the refurbished second Rex from Lost World. After that though....?

• Locked thread