Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darko
Dec 23, 2004

SirDrone posted:

I legit must be the only one who thinks Lost World is an underrated movie and the Alien 3 of Jurassic Park.

Depends on if you like wry straight laced satire/self parody or not (to be fair, most people weren't expecting that going in since the first movie was far more earnest in embracing its material).

JP3 was terrible though, and I actually prefer JW to it. JP3 has horrible pacing, attempts to be as earnest as the first film instead of being a film about sequels/films as TLW and JW attempted to do, and failed harder due to having weaker material to be "earnest" about. Also the direction was even weaker than JW which is worse coming off some of the great Spielberg scenes and shots in TLW as opposed to following up a more pedestrian movie like JP3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

JP3 made the Spinosaurus seem small and not imposing at all. It front-loaded all of the deaths to the point where there was a huge chunk of no suspense for an entire third of the movie, where it led into a wet fizzle of a climax (it was hoping to sell the pteradons just existing as a fantastic moment - but their introduction, and what happened after was entirely flat). Things weren't funny, they weren't exciting; everything in the movie that happened landed with a wet fart, outside of the talking raptor in the plane.

I had a longer post breaking down the structure of the other movies, as compared (but have to go to a meeting so scrapped it), but they all at least had pacing that led to a climax that brought things to another level as compared to other movies, as opposed to fizzling out in the last third.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Eddie Carr was by far the worst, and it was great because it went against convention. He got a 5 minute scene trying his best to rescue the group in a great Spielberg sequence, got put in a horrible situation between two T-Rexes while doing so, and then was unfortunate enough to get the gun stuck in the seatbelt. And then he got the death (flip - rip) that would be normally reserved for the biggest rear end in a top hat in a film.

Meanwhile, the Ahab character bags his T-Rex and quits, alive. Lost World is so underappreciated.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

A grand total of one (1) person is eaten by a dinosaur in Jurassic World. Offscreen.

(5) are eaten onscreen (I-Rex eats the guy observed while hiding under the car as the cinematic language is lifting to eat as opposed to mauling, chews and eats the person very obviously only obscured by foliage by rating, eats two more people while rampaging as he swallows them, the water thing eats both the pteradon and the assistant at once). Multiple others can be assumed to be eaten offscreen (raptors at least chew on multiple mercs in the Aliens ripoff scenes, the pteradon carries away the guy that fell off of the helicopter, the I-Rex probably eats others).

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Actually, this video kind of shows what I was saying earlier best, as I looked it up after second guessing my memory. The drop off from Lost World to 3 is horrendously hilarious in every possible way; 4 looks like a mess but not quite as stilted and non-imaginative as 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5G-6xeXFyI

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Yaws posted:

Jurassic World is one of the worst big budget movies I've ever seen. J3 at least had some Joe Johnston weirdness to it. Jurassic World was %100 schlock with some added misogyny and Colin Treverow limp direction to boot.

Even from the clips posted above, there's no way you can call Treverow's direction more limp than Johnston's. There is at least dynamic movement by the dino and objects they are interacting with in the big mercenary attack scene (with camera movement accentuating it) and some good effects work with the human CG interacting with objects when knocked around, as opposed to a puppet coming into a mostly static frame and attacking a still person, the person screaming, then moving the person out of frame.

Neither is good, but once is laughably horrible, and the other is just "ew." I mean, very few things look good after following Spielberg/Kaminski, but JP3 just looks like it comes from a TV show or something while JW tries but fails to ape what Spielberg did in TLW.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I thought the not lowered angle worked for the iRex, as it was a corporate created jerk as opposed to a truly huge, magnificent creature that inspired awe. I never got that you were supposed to feel any wonder for it, or even fear - you were supposed to *hate* it, which is why it was shown slaughtering dinos you liked, and pitched against the fan favorite originals.

The Spinosaurus, on the other hand, was presented to actually be the bigger, better thing, and scare and hunt the characters similar to the TRex in the book, and it never once looked imposing, mainly because of this odd focus on its head being in frame for too long, which had that long beaky puppety design.

There were some good ideas, like announcing the presence with the phone - but that was not used nearly to its potential, either.

Darko fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Dec 6, 2017

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Yaws posted:

This series has to have to worst track record. We got one amazing movie in 1993 and nothing but poo poo since.

I'm seeing a weird "expectation" pattern with you. Like, I could see not expecting TLW and taking it on its own terms when viewing as being completely different, but there's no way it's possibly "poo poo," just given how ridiculously well crafted some of the scenes are (moreso than JP1 in half of the cases) and Kaminski upping the cinematography over the first. The only explanation to ignore that is not caring about what it was going for and feels like but more for what it matches what you expected or wanted.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

The first movie was on the verge of becoming as insane as I wanted it to be, this one looks like it pulls it off. Very excited.

That's the same way I see it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The latest episode of James Cameron's sci fi show is funny, where he's talking to Spielberg about being beaten to the rights for Jurassic Park, and how he would have turned it into Aliens 2.

I would have liked to have seen that alternate universe.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

R. Guyovich posted:

that was the only good scene in the movie imo

The part where the raptor and TRex nodded to each other was great. Also when the kid hugs the baby brachiosaurus.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

DeafNote posted:

on the plus side, the only human deaths by dinosaurs in part 2 are bad guy deaths
(allthough there's certainly some horrific ones... I didnt expect to seen arm get bit off, on camera)

also its clear Zara was meant to be a more despicable character and maybe Claire too
the movie tried to sorta villainize her at the start, but it wanted to redeem her too
conflicting scripts and all

That's...disappointing, because the series is at its best when having protagonist deaths to balance against the antagonist deaths. Sam Jackson/Muldoon, Eddie (and having a little girl attacked at the beginning, even if she did survive), etc. keep you on your toes and kind of trick you into being somewhat scared about anything possibly happening to anyone. The only problem with Zara is that it comes too late - it happens in the exact same way as the Unlucky Bastard (screenwriter) in Lost World during the T-Rex rampage to a named character that was shown as somewhat sympathetic, when it didn't happen to any really sympathetic developed characters before.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

Initial thoughts - better than 2

Hell no. 2 has better setpieces than 1, even, in places, and some masterfully directed sequences. And Kaminski's cinematography works incredibly well in certain sequences. I actually *like* 2 more than 1 (because I like satire and Ian Malcom makes one of the best audience stand ins ever), even if I'll easily admit it's not as tightly made or important.

This movie was stupid as hell, but not stupid enough to be farcical and good. It only had to go a little more in the ridiculous direction to go over the top in a good way, but it was far too held back and ended up being just average and silly. The direction is a notch above 3 and 4, at least, but couldn't really save the tone.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Fart City posted:

I’d never heard that before, but it adds another wrinkle to the overall muddying of velociraptors in public perception if true. If I remember correctly raptors aren’t even that big of a factor in the original novel (outside of finding some eggs), so that would put that solely on the shoulders of the film.

Raptors were the final villains in the novel just like the movie. They were just smaller and were getting blown up by rocket launchers and stuff as the final stretch had weapons to be used against them. That's probably why Cameron said he read the novel and planned on making it into Aliens 2 before finding out Spielberg already bought it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Dieter kind of got Hammond's death in TLW, so we still got to see it, basically. Plus it had the escaped compys attacking kids, the waterfall scene from the novel, and fighting raptors in more open spaces and having to fend them off a bit more personally.

I guess 3 had pteradons and a river chase and, uh, the I Rex in JW stole the Carnotarus' schitck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Peanut President posted:

Man, the Carnotaur scene is my favorite part and I was so sad that they don't show up in any of the movies. I guess "IT CAN CAMOUFLAGE" is the best I'll get.

They were in the Lost World gun game and were pretty cool in that.

• Locked thread