Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Jurassic Park III is shockingly decent for its production troubles. They threw the script out 5 weeks before filming and improvised the entire movie around the previously storyboarded set pieces. The reason everything happened in the first act was that they compressed the entire hastily-written new draft into that first act and then winged the rest of it.

quote:

"There was no original script," [Joe Johnston] says flatly. "It's the one thing that almost made this a life-threatening ordeal for a lot of people. The second version of the script, which was completely scheduled and story-boarded and planned, we actually threw it out five weeks before we started shooting... The story we were getting ready to shoot was much more complicated; it was just too much, with all these tortured convolutions to get Grant back there."

Help arrived in the form of screenwriter David Koepp (co-screenwriter of the original Jurassic Park and sole screenwriter of The Lost World). Although, according to Johnston, the writer "never set pen to paper, we had several phone calls with him. And, God bless him, he came up with a better idea."

After generating a completely new take with Koepp's help, a small army of writers were hired to do the script; including the writing team of Alexander Payne and Jim Taylor, who had already scored an Oscar nomination for their Election screenplay. "They wrote a complete draft," explains Johnston, "which, when reworked by Peter Buchman, basically became our first act." With a sigh of obvious frustration, the director admits that it's not the way to make a movie. "Sometimes we were writing the things that we were going to be shooting that afternoon. It's stupid. The only good thing about it is that it gives you the freedom to decide what you're going to do as you go along."

And yet it was still 10x the movie Jurassic World was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Always a conflicting moment when you opinions line up with SMG's, but that's just about the most sensible thing I've ever heard him say.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I really can't blame him. If I were in Jeff Goldblum's position, I would also stipulate that the only way I'd appear in a Jurassic World sequel is if I got a massive payday for one day of shooting.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Cnut the Great posted:

I just wanted to let everyone know I'm still irrationally mad at the lack of dino feathers and will presently be going on a hunger strike until the issue is resolved to my satisfaction.

Well it's something.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Ah weird, it was tweeted out from what looks like the official Fallen Kingdom Twitter account. Date stamp looks like it was about a year ago, though so makes sense they were just starting up the hype game with some fan art.

Too bad.

• Locked thread