Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

It really feels like they're overstating things at the end when they say that we now live in a completely new 'Jurassic' world. There's what, maybe 15-20 large creatures already fitted with tracking chips somewhere in a forest, most of which are the sole examples of their species and wouldn't be able to breed even if they did miraculously stay hidden. Which they obviously won't - the T-Rex's first stop is a zoo - that's the last place it wants to be! It just doesn't feel like that big a deal.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Paragon8 posted:

I think colin trevorrow has said that this scenario is basically the set up to his end game but is absolute nonsense. I think if you were being very generous you could make the argument that the threat isn't the dinosaurs but the proliferation of genetic manipulation but I guess its more like he wants to set up the flintstones.

I guess the real problem is that the militarised dinosaurs plot is going nowhere. Even without resorting to tactical realism poo poo it seems really obvious that incredibly expensive monster dinosaurs on the battlefield (that have a habit of going nuts and eating their handlers) is a complete non-starter. The one in this film would have been killed instantly if Owen had had more than two drat bullets in his gun.

The real existential threat in the movie is Maisie and they skim over her reaction to finding out she's a clone pretty quickly. Probably would have been better if they'd made the character slightly older, had her discover more about how she was engineered (maybe that she's 'improved' over her Mum and that she's a patented corporate product) and I dunno, rip off Alien: Resurrection and have her find a room full of failed Maisies. Also, make her part dinosaur because c'mon if you're being this silly then really go for it.

If they've got any sense Jurassic World 3 should be Gattaca meets the Flintstones. Lean into the ridiculousness hard and have people genetically modifying themselves, bringing back the dead, designing their own weird freak pets and so on.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

DeafNote posted:

as dumb as the premise is
nobody seems to have noticed that they did at least make their Indoraptor bulletproof. those three bullets Owen fired didnt fall to the floor without leaving a mark.
Sure the guns impact still seems a problem, and I am sure an elephant gun could do the trick.

at least it seems this WAR direction is gone for good now
(also the method to track them by chips was destroyed in the movie)

Fair enough on the gun thing, I didn't notice the bullets falling to the floor. But even with the system gone the dinosaurs are still emitting radio signals, I figured the importance special system on the island was that allowed them to track individual dinosaurs so they could catch Blue.

Why was Blue so important anyway if they had this trained superdinosaur ready to go?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Oh yeah, one thing that bothered me about this film that I just remembered.

When Bryce Dallas Howard goes to the big mansion for the first time the film does this weird visual reference of the Brachiosaur reveal in Jurassic Park: she gets out of the car and gazes up at the building in wonder before it's revealed in a wide shot. I guess they're saying that the old money and power is equal to the majesty of the dinosaurs... or is as potentially dangerous? Anyone got any thoughts?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Was it supposed to be a twist that the girl was a clone? Seemed pretty obvious from the moment they said her mother had tragically died and her spooky clone-happy grandad was caring for her.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Inspector 34 posted:

Whenever I get around to building my evil science lair/auction house I'll have to remember to install at least a padlock or something on the dumbwaiter. I never use the TSA approved one that came with my luggage anyway.

Don't forget when you're building your secret underground genetic bunker that you need to extend the dumbwaiter right down to it.,

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

momtartin posted:

Hahah I didn’t even think of that. Yet another stupid point of the movie

It's not stupid! Your breakfast would be cold as hell by the time they brought it from the kitchen, through the dinosaur skeleton room and down the cargo lift. Much more sensible to just plumb the dumbwaiter down a few more floors and enjoy warm toast.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Out of five Jurassic movies, four of them have been pants on head stupid. I think it's time to just accept that this is a dumb franchise.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I recently found this alternative book cover for Jurassic Park:

It feels very Fallen Kingdom-y to me.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Drink-Mix Man posted:

What exactly is the point if having a dinosaur that kills whatever you target with a laser? It seems like if you could target something with a laser, you could, you know, shoot it or blow it up.

Uh.. hm. Style points?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

And what is a dinosaur really bringing to the table that a sufficiently trained bear or tiger can't?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Peanut President posted:

Kinda like airplanes then right? Went from cool scientific novelty to "how do we use these to kill fuckers" in what 15 years?

.... uh.. gently caress it why not? Yes, the killer genetic dinosaurs are just like airplanes!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Das Ende posted:

It really jumped out at me. When Hammond complains about the first tour being a couple no-shows and a sick Triceratops, Arnold says, "It could have been worse, John. A lot worse." Very odd.

Foreshadowing is odd?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Das Ende posted:

No. Foreknowledge is odd. Foreshadowing, like Grant's seatbelt, or guests breaking out of the restraints on the early part of the tour, that's foreshadowing, and it's not odd.

How is "that could have been have a lot worse" foreknowledge? The park guests hopped out of the car and were running around with the dinosaurs, I can think of many ways it could have been a lot worse.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I just checked it out and it was a totally fine shot. What's the problem - you get to see where the dinosaur is in relation to the fence immediately after and it makes physical sense that its arm would do that?

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jul 5, 2018

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The dramatic tension of only seeing a tiny bit of the monster is easily worth some spatial sleight of hand.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Was the smashed up Explorer in Fallen Kingdom supposed to be the same car that the Rex attacked?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'm always curious as to what the gently caress happened to this prop? Is it just stored away somewhere? Was it ruined with time? Sold? Taken apart and repurposed?

As far as I know, by the time they got around to filming The Lost World the foam rubber skin had pretty much disintegrated (probably not helped by it getting soaking wet during filming) so they broke up the animatronic skeleton for parts for other models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Nedry gets ate.

I remember reading that passage out loud to my friends when I was ten.

• Locked thread