Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I've been trying to put videos up on YouTube and let them sit there for a day or so for those who subscribe and/or follow on Twitter. Also gives me a chance to see if there are any problems before I post about it on here.

So speaking of,

I'll have to experiment more with the delayed jump. I'm sure I've done it and not realized it, but now that I know it's a thing I can see if that helps me in any parts. Thanks.

I don't necessarily have a video time I MUST adhere to, but I just feel ~20 or less is a reasonable length to ask of a viewer. If I'm struggling too much and not making a lot of progress and bumbling about for 35 minutes in a level, it's hard for me to feel like I'm putting out videos that I'm OK with, and that's why I was trying to see what I could do to prevent that from happening again. I wanted to move forward by playing more confidently, either by practicing levels beforehand or just being more pro-active in the way I played blind. With that Spooky Dungeon level, so much was being thrown at me that I felt like the latter would end up being impossible.

What I might end up doing, then, is trying to record a blind run through a level. If it's not turning out the way I want it to, then I can re-record it using the knowledge from already playing through the level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Doc Morbid posted:

Also, here's the original Giana Sisters theme from the Commodore 64 version. C-64 games generally haven't aged well at all (and most of them weren't very good in the first place), but many of them had really good music.

Chris Huelsbeck is a game composing genius. His work on turrican 2 is especially good.
Here's just one example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLdBw_hg6dw

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow, the preplay is really paying dividends.

It is interesting to see them keep coming with the new mechanics, though I hope it doesn't feel overstuffed by the end if they keep going.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Yeah, "Enchanted Mountain Path" is kind of a breather level. The same can't be said of its alternative version, the Halloween Special 2012, which is quite tough at times. "Clockwork Lighthouse" has some tricky bits too, especially the part just before the first ghost-killing light beams. (you can use the safety jump there to make it a bit easier)

Dreadful Straits is quite a fun level, and fairly unique looking with its ship and lagoon theme. It's probably the most water-intensive level. The firewall chasing you can catch you off guard. If you don't like stuff chasing you, well, the third world will frequently make you shout. "Octor Freud" is by far the most straight-forward of all bosses, including the expansion boss. He's also the only one you can directly damage. Overall, you did a pretty good job with the boss level.

Now onto the third world. It's where the game definitely takes off the kiddy gloves and puts on the spiked gauntlets, even more so if you want all the gems.

One little thing: while you CAN switch to Punk Giana while the fish is jumping out of the water and then quickly try to get on top of the turtle before gravity reasserts itself, you don't actually need to. While in Cute Giana form, simply wait for the fish to be in the air, then immediately do a diagonal-upwards dash towards it. The dash causes Giana to transform, transforming the fish into the turtle and you'll bounce off of it into the air, getting some additional height you wouldn't be able to get if you had to jump on top of it.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
BTW, it's not uncommon for people to firedash towards enemies and then die because the dash ends just before they reach the target. The dash' length is determined by how long you hold the button; a quick tap results in a shorter dash, and letting go of the button immediately cancels it. The dash's length tends to be extended a bit when homing in on nearby enemies, but it still gets canceled when you let go of the button before it connects, so the best way to avoid these kinds of deaths is to hold the dash button until you hear the pop of the enemy getting defeated.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Erpy posted:

BTW, it's not uncommon for people to firedash towards enemies and then die because the dash ends just before they reach the target. The dash' length is determined by how long you hold the button; a quick tap results in a shorter dash, and letting go of the button immediately cancels it. The dash's length tends to be extended a bit when homing in on nearby enemies, but it still gets canceled when you let go of the button before it connects, so the best way to avoid these kinds of deaths is to hold the dash button until you hear the pop of the enemy getting defeated.

Well I'm glad I'm not alone there. It's just sometimes I miscalculate the distance and the attack runs out just before touching the enemy. I feel like something could have been done to better refine the dash attack, but I'm not quite sure what.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Jamesman posted:

Well I'm glad I'm not alone there. It's just sometimes I miscalculate the distance and the attack runs out just before touching the enemy. I feel like something could have been done to better refine the dash attack, but I'm not quite sure what.

I don't think it'd be possible without taking away the player's ability to cancel the dash, which would be worse. If a dash homes in on an enemy to begin with, it should hit that enemy unless you prematurely let go of the button. But like I said, a dash that has locked on is extended, meaning you have to hold down the button for longer than usual too. If you hold the button only for the amount of time it'd take to cover its usual length (which you generally do when using the dash to navigate obstacles) and then let go, you risk cancelling the dash right in the enemy's face. It's the player who has to switch gears here.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
After that worm(?) boss, this squid boss seems much more generic. It seems this game doesn't have the same sense of progression that you'd find in other platformers: there world themes are sparse or non-existent, difficulty varies, the second boss seemed like a better introduction than the first.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Mr. Highway posted:

After that worm(?) boss, this squid boss seems much more generic. It seems this game doesn't have the same sense of progression that you'd find in other platformers: there world themes are sparse or non-existent, difficulty varies, the second boss seemed like a better introduction than the first.

It does have a sense of progression as far as difficulty is concerned. World 1 was mostly cake except for the sheer spike at the end. World 2 was consistently tougher and World 3 has quite a few spiteful spots including two levels where the game won't even give you shield gems. The first two bosses are about the same as far as difficulty is concerned with the first one mostly being about figuring out how to hurt it and the second one making it easier for you to accidentally kill yourself.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mr. Highway posted:

I was making lots of mistakes with the worm boss, which are more my fault than the game's. While he has some more variety, I don't think the worm and squid are that different in difficulty.

I do agree that the progression doesn't have that difficulty curve you would expect from a platformer. It does keep me on my toes though.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I suppose we should be thankful there aren't any crystals you can only pick up during boss fights.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Glazius posted:

I suppose we should be thankful there aren't any crystals you can only pick up during boss fights.

Yeah, about that...

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Hi.

My hard drive has been doing this fun thing where I don't know if it's going to die or not, so I used that as an excuse for a holiday break. Will hopefully get all that resolved soon and have a more regular schedule again.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Good to see this one back. Yeah, the bubble can take some getting used to. It's apparantly an element that already appeared in the original Giana Sisters game. It's not too bad once you get a feeling for it and simply move around by doing quick taps rather than holding the jump button for longer than a split-second. There's never a need to build up momentum with this thing and almost always gets you killed.

Welcome to World 3. As you have seen, things get hairier here. Emerald Cliffs can be annoying, particularly the passage where the owls rain down and you're attacked on all sides by enemies and pinwheels. When using a turtle/fish to get onto a high point, there's no switch to Punk Giana and then jump up to it and dash. Just be Cute Giana, wait until the fish reaches the apex of its jump and press the dash key while aiming the stick towards it. Since the dash already switches worlds, you'll get maximum altitude with this approach.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Also, I'm not making a thread for it since it's not an LP proper, but I started my streaming of Deponia on Twitch a couple days ago.

https://youtu.be/WNMT6f8vczo

I should be continuing this tonight around 8pm EST, provided I have some folks that'll check it out.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

Good to see this LP again. That "technical difficulties" card was a nice touch.

That lying skull sign really bothered me. This game has had a lot of good design and some iffy design, but that sign was bad. You could argue that it is there to show the water being dangerous, but then you could argue that it should've been placed lower. Someone on the design team should've realized that the sign shouldn't have been there.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
The skull signs don't just signify bottomless pits though. They're used throughout the game for all kinds of hazards, including acid, amethysts and thorns/spikes. Jumping in there without a bubble IS death, so taking away the sign would have resulted in players jumping down and having an acid dip. Placing it lower would have made little sense because the screen cannot scroll down far enough to show that it's acid rather than a bottomless pit of death.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

But the player has been taught to avoid pits with those signs. If the designers meant for you to go down that pit with the bubble power and not without the bubble power, they could have changed the level geometry slightly. Instead of the pit dropping right into the bad water, they could have had an outcrop for the player to stand on, which was far enough away from the goodies to indicate to the player to bring the bubble.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
My opinion is that the signs have been interpreted as "Avoid at all costs." They signal wrong ways, pits, and even instant death because you're going too far out of the level. Now I need to reinterpret those signs to determine what message they are trying to convey, because I might still have a reason to explore that area they are warning me about.

I just think there was a better way to go about that. Thankfully it hasn't really been an issue after that from what I've played, but that just makes the level stand out all the more.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
After getting used to the jumping at the end, Haunted Swamp is a fairly relaxing level (lots of shield gems and lots of light beams to kill ghosts with) with the exception of the area with the rising acid at the very bottom of the level, which is annoying even on replays. This is probably the first (but not the last) level where you have to deal with rising acid.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

And Deponia part 2: https://youtu.be/VvXDt8bDo_g

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

I'm planning on continuing Deponia Friday night around 8pm EST. It would be super-cool if you guys could show up and help me solve more puzzles. And if you wanna catch up so you know what's going on, you can watch the past streams or just continue reading this post.

Rufus lives on a literal garbage world and wants to escape to a not-garbage world. His latest attempt to do so results in him rescuing a girl by making her fall out of the sky and now she's unconscious and he needs to brew some coffee to wake her up.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
One little gem you failed to show on your "retrieval run" yet didn't get on your first one was the small gem hidden near the boxes next to the last big gem that rose from the acid.

It's pretty fitting they introduced the rolling boulder hazard in the Temple of Doomdidoom level. Overall, the level's not too bad aside from the part where you're chased by the flame walls, which remains tricky even when you're very familiar with the level. Playtime's over. Now the spiteful part starts. :D

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Erpy posted:

One little gem you failed to show on your "retrieval run" yet didn't get on your first one was the small gem hidden near the boxes next to the last big gem that rose from the acid.

Sorry about that. I try to look over the footage and point things out, but sometimes something will slip past me. I won't realize I missed a gem or two and them picked them up on the next run.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Last night didn't work out, so I'm gonna try and stream tonight around 8pmEST. Hopefully some folks can make it and we can have a fun time solving puzzles together.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Owl Wing's Nest savaged me the first time I ran through. Especially some of those areas with the buzzsaws. In the area around 15:00, it's actually possible to navigate a large part of that section by using your flaming dash to zip from owl to owl, though you won't be picking up all gems if you do it that way.

You did very well on this level.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Erpy posted:

Owl Wing's Nest savaged me the first time I ran through. Especially some of those areas with the buzzsaws. In the area around 15:00, it's actually possible to navigate a large part of that section by using your flaming dash to zip from owl to owl, though you won't be picking up all gems if you do it that way.

You did very well on this level.

I'm trying. I'd LIKE to think that after playing through so many levels, I've picked up a few skills. Every now and then, though, the game will throw another obstacle at me that I need some practice to overcome. The challenge in this game is fun and usually pretty fair, and I've really been enjoying the game.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
You managed this level very well. No boss here, but there were several of those dragon statues in the background of the level as you made your way through. Speaking of background objects...notice the huge owl-shaped airship moored in the distance? You'll be exploring it in the expansion.

Breakneck Passage stands out in the back of my mind as one of the more infuriating levels, but that's not due to the level being the peak of sadism, but due to the fact that this is the first level to completely lack any shield gems, meaning getting hit is always fatal here and there are a handful of spots (like 6:30, 14:40 and 15:50) where it's REALLY easy to slip up for a split-second and die. So far, of all the Über-hardcore runs I've made, this level ranks top as the ones that ended my run. Though I suspect eventually that honor will shift to the next level, which is my least favorite level in the game. No ghosts, but that's barely a consolation.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, the next level coming led to quite a few deaths, even on replaying it. I looked up some videos afterward and saw people did WAY worse than me so I feel kinda OK with that.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I suck at side scrolling platformers.

I've been enjoying these. Thanks again for sharing.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

osirisisdead posted:

I suck at side scrolling platformers.

I've been enjoying these. Thanks again for sharing.

If you've been watching, then you know I do too. :v: But I'm glad you're enjoying this!

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Seeing them up close like that, those are some ugly character models.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ziv Zulander posted:

Seeing them up close like that, those are some ugly character models.

There is something a little "off" about them, but I don't think they're terrible. For a platforming game, they are designed simple enough with some bright colors, and the two personas are different enough from one another to stand out. They just need to look a little less like creepy dolls.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Well, failing one's way to victory or not, that was a remarkably solid first playthrough. Boiling Springs (almost) has it all: truckloads of deadly water, rising deadly water (including at the point where you threatened to angrily shout), rolling boulders, plenty of small platforms, precision bubble segments, rows of fireball throwers, absolutely no shield gems (again) and that segment at 14:20 that's essentially like flipping a coin on whether I make it through or die horribly. It's pretty much the :argh: emoticon in level form.

The good news: aside from a brief nasty section early on in the penultimate level, your current skills should allow you to make it from here to the final boss' doorstep with relatively little trouble.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Erpy posted:

(including at the point where you threatened to angrily shout), rolling boulders, plenty of small platforms, precision bubble segments, rows of fireball throwers, absolutely no shield gems (again) and that segment at 14:20 that's essentially like flipping a coin on whether I make it through or die horribly. It's pretty much the :argh: emoticon in level form.

The good news: aside from a brief nasty section early on in the penultimate level, your current skills should allow you to make it from here to the final boss' doorstep with relatively little trouble.

Anger poo poo :eng101: Think something like a monkey at the zoo flinging poop at everyone and screeching.

The level after this I ended up doing a practice run of, because I kept dying to stupid things and it was throwing my focus off too much, but even then, yeah I'd say this level was a bit of a spike compared to what's come directly before and after. I've been checking out a few videos of other playthroughs on YouTube, and one person had almost 40 deaths on this level, so I don't feel too bad about my death count.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I think doing a practice run of the stage beforehand really paid off for this one; the pace of the video was very good. Meanwhile, this game continues to impress with its interesting stage designs...some of those obstacles looked tough as hell. I like the sections where there are multiple dangers in a row and you need to keep a rhythm to make it through...areas like that really depend on the game having great control.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Jamesman posted:

The level after this I ended up doing a practice run of, because I kept dying to stupid things and it was throwing my focus off too much, but even then, yeah I'd say this level was a bit of a spike compared to what's come directly before and after. I've been checking out a few videos of other playthroughs on YouTube, and one person had almost 40 deaths on this level, so I don't feel too bad about my death count.

I'd complain about that, but the two times I made it all the way to that level, I died in very stupid and avoidable ways (once I missed jumping on a frog and got drooled on, once I missed a fireball dash against a flying owl I didn't need to kill in the first place and tumbled into a pit), so you're not alone there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I think doing a practice run of the stage beforehand really paid off for this one; the pace of the video was very good. Meanwhile, this game continues to impress with its interesting stage designs...some of those obstacles looked tough as hell. I like the sections where there are multiple dangers in a row and you need to keep a rhythm to make it through...areas like that really depend on the game having great control.

Yeah, I think like 99% of the obstacles are designed pretty well and provide a pretty fair challenge, and it does really feel good to get the rhythm going and bounce from enemy to enemy. I always want to stress that this is a fun game. I've had fun from beginning to end.

Erpy posted:

I'd complain about that, but the two times I made it all the way to that level, I died in very stupid and avoidable ways (once I missed jumping on a frog and got drooled on, once I missed a fireball dash against a flying owl I didn't need to kill in the first place and tumbled into a pit), so you're not alone there.

Yeah, it's just that sometime repeated deaths can throw me "off" and I start to lose my energy and don't communicate as much, as I focus more on making it through the level. It's just a hangup, and I end up feeling better going through with a little less burden so I can manage talking and playing at the same time. I've been trying not to do it, but every now and then, ya know?

• Locked thread