Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

This post will contain some vague spoilers, so I'll list my top 5 then down below that briefly cover the premise of the show. I'm always looking for a good time travel show so I'm curious to see how others

5. Frequency
4. DC's Legends of Tomorrow
3. Travelers
2. 12 Monkeys
1. Continuum

Honorable mention: Stargate Universe Twin Destinies

:siren: here be spoilers :siren:

5. Frequency - Short lived, only 13 episodes on the CW. A cop drama where a young detective is able to speak to her deceased father who died previously in the line of duty through a shortwave radio. The core story revolves around catching a serial killer by comparing notes (using a shortwave radio) in the future to the past in order to alter events. Dad detective was originally killed in an undercover op gone wrong. Using knowledge of the time and place of his death, he survives only to find that doing so has some severe consequences.

I believe like most CW series, you can probably find this on Netflix

4. DC's Legends of Tomorrow - Technically you could watch Legends as a standalone show, but it's just one piece of the Arrowverse. You'll miss a ton as many of the cast members were previously cast members from Arrow or The Flash. The original legends were recruited by Rip Hunter under the guise that in the future he comes from all the heroes he's assembled are legends for what they did, which turns out to be bullshit. He recruited them specifically because they were not crucial to the timeline. Season 1 was a bit of a mixed bag, with Vandal Savage being the worst villain ever along with the creepy hawk relationship. Season 1 does have it's moments, but season 2 everything got dialed up to 11. Legends leaned hard into goofy comic book angle with no shame, making Legends one of the best shows on TV. Season 2 saw the Legion of Doom, consisting of Eobard Thawn, from the past, Damien Dahrk, Malcom Merlin and a bit later on Captain Cold who sacrificed his life to blow up the time pigs. Highlights include Captain Sara Lance, Time Bisexual, getting laid throughout history and now as of the most recent crossover, getting laid across the multiverse! The Legends are universally idiots, and even they know it. "Sometimes we screw things up for the better" Seasons 1 and 2 are on Netflix, season 3 is currently airing on the CW where they just finished the 2 night Crisis on Earth X Arrowverse crossover. Split up over 2 nights, for the first time all 4 Arrowverse shows converged at a single point and whoo boy did they really outdid themselves. It's insane how good the Arrowverse shows can be but somehow DC films are a wreck.

Season 3 currently airing on the CW, 1 and 2 available on Netflix

3. Travelers - Set in modern day, a conscious mind can be sent from 100s of years in the future by an entity known as The Director. After a major astroid hits earth in 2018 much of humanity was wiped out. There may be more but we don't actually know too much about the future the travelers come from. Using social media data from the 21st century The Director host candidates are chosen based on their historical date of death. Suitable candidates are the ones that die in such a way that the incoming mind, using future knowledge of events, manages to avoid the death of the host. Traveler teams take orders from The Director either by way of child messenger or some hilariously nonsense darkweb, as The Director is trying to tweak events in the past to ensure humanity's survival in the future. The reveal that The Director is actually a sophisticated AI built in a quantum computer. While it seems like the travelers may have successfully deflected the astroid, humanity is still nearly extinct in the future and adjustments to the timeline have caused the future to change as newly arrived travelers remember a different history than the one that the main characters remember. It also created an offshoot of humanity who oppose taking orders from the director, and interfering in the traveler's missions.

Season 2 currently airing in Canada, hits US Netflix on the 26th of this month.

2. 12 Monkeys - Based on the original Brad Pitt/Bruce Wilis film in the 90's. You'll find a lot of references to the film in this series. James Cole is sent back to present day to prevent the outbreak of a disease that decimates mankind, with the help of Cassandra Railey. Jennifer Goines, a twist on Brad Pitt's character in the film, plays the delightfully insane primary, someone who can see time from the top down which often drives them insane. Season 1 was largely about preventing the virus from escaping in 2017 but they're only successful at pushing the time of the virus' release rather than stopping it. The second season took a sharp departure from the first, where Cole and Railey are now able too travel back and forth thru time, but members of the army of the 12 Monkeys take over the facility where the splinter machine is housed and send back a number of people to kill primaries which I guess was supposed to destroy time? It was weird. At this point we still don't know who the witness is. Originally thought to be the Palid Man, until the 3rd season The Witness could have been literally anyone and everyone had a different theory on who it was. At the very end of the season 2 Cassandra is captured by the army of the 12 Monkeys and revealed to be the mother of The Witness, born from a timeline that was erased by Cole in order to stop time from breaking but Cassandra is pregnant and starts to remember the life Cole erased. Season 3 is spent with Cole and Cassandra moving to protect their child from both the 12 Monkeys and their own people who want to kill him and restore most of humanity. The last 2 episodes of season 3 with James Callis were amazing. We also got an absolutely fantastic performance from Alisen Down.

Seasons 1-3 on Netflix, 4th and final season next year

1. Continuum - Probably the best and most intelligently written time travel series to date. Not only does Continuum adhere to a single framework of how time travel works, it also flips almost every trope on it's head. A police officer from 2077 inadvertently gets pulled into the past along with a terrorist group, who I won't be naming because jesus christ it's bad. Officer Cameron wants nothing more to get back to her family but the "terrorist group" wants to prevent the rise of an oppressive corporate government. One of the opening scenes has a skyscraper exploding, not unlike the way the towers went down on 9/11. But things aren't that nearly clean. You'll find yourself rooting for killers and terrorists. You'll start to realize that the "hero" is actually a corporate enforcer of a society that values money over everything. Even being born costs something. The society of 2077 is very much a corporate dystopia and that the terrorists kinda have a point. Continuum ends up being a commentary on unchecked capitalism, almost to the point of having it tattooed to your eyeballs, as well as direct commentary on our society of today. Watching Continuum gave me a very real sense of unease as the show pulls no punches, the most brazen of which was using a company called "Sonmanto" as one of the major corporations in the future. A name which might remind you of a very real, very powerful company called Mansanto. Technially there are 4 seasons but the last was a set of 6 episodes to wrap up the story. Which is good because if I'd have gone off the deepend because of how crazy the S3 cliffhanger was. My face at the end of season 3: :stare: Extra points for not taking the easy way out on the series finale. It was as good as it was bittersweet.

All 4 seasons are on Netflix

Honorable mention: Stargate Universe - Twin Destinies
Yeah SGU gets a bad wrap 's because the first season was spent on pointless interpersonal bullshit but I thought it got way better once they figured out what the ship was actually for. Twin Destines used the original Stargate time travel mechanic of "solar flare" and applies it to the whole ship. But the crew wants to use the Destiny's solar recharging system to dial earth. It only works for a split second, with one cast member making it thru to earth, the rest gated off the ship elsewhere. This event has consequences down the line which could have made for great 3rd season material. One person does escape the accident in a shuttle before the Destiny is wrecked beyond repair. Desperately in need of supplies the crew gates over to the other Destiny which will fall into the sun very shortly. Great episode across the board.

SO....

give me some more time travel poo poo to get into

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
By sheer coincidence, I recently went on a huge time travel kick too. I watched Travelers on a whim because they had a nixie tube clock motif on their Netflix graphic that reminded me of a video game, then wound up watched all these shows (although I didn't go too far with Twelve Monkeys). It was like Netflix just kept throwing them at me.

Anyway, the only one I know you haven't brought up yet is:

Timeless - Currently one season with another due in 2018, Timeless is basically Legends with more competent characters. Some bad guys steal the world's first time machine to go back and perform random and confusing acts of time terrorism, like saving the Hindenburg??? and stranding Apollo 11. The company that lost the machine, along with the US government who are annoyed that a time machine was built without them being told, enlist a three person team (time-pilot, historian, soldier) to go back in time using an earlier prototype, and prevent changes to history. It hits a lot of the same beats Legends does, visiting points of historical interest, and meeting famous figures. There's an episode where they get Bass Reeves to hunt Billy the Kid. Its a lot of fun and if I'd done your list, I'd put it just below Travelers. It also largely doesn't shy away from how lovely most of US history is for black people, if that sort of thing makes you roll your eyes.

It's brought down a little by the meta-plot, which is about a grand conspiracy that throws doubt on the time terrorist's motives, but nothing's perfect.

I don't know if its available everywhere, but its on Netflix in the UK.

Not Operator fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 4, 2017

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Idk how you can put LoT in the same category as Continuum / Frequency / 12 Monkeys seeing as the latter has actual time travel rules and follows them while the Legend writers are supremely incompetent and things just happen.

Anyways to contribute:

Futureman was just release on Hulu and it's an excellent comedy. Imo the pilot is one of the weaker episodes since it has to set everything up, but the second episode is one of the best so if you liked it you will enjoy the show.

Terminator the Sarah Connor Chronicles is excellent and Journeyman is also good. Both of them were cancelled, but TSCC has more closure.

Day Break is kinda time travel too, but it's more of a groundhog day loop. Still worth checking out too.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Watch Futureman.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Have you heard of a little show called Doctor Who?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Sealab 2021 - “Lost in Time”

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

BSam posted:

Have you heard of a little show called Doctor Who?

Get out

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHVW-S9JkKA

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Primeval was a show starring Ben Miller and some other people that was about an organisation set up to deal with the consequences of time rifts that had started appearing all over the place. It wasn't amazing or anything, but it was quite watchable and Ben Miller was great in it.

Life on Mars was a show about a modern cop who was sent back in time to the '70s. The sequel, Ashes to Ashes, was also good, but if you're watching to find out the what and how and why of the whole time travel mystery then you're going to be disappointed. The answer's real dumb. There was also an American remake which had an even dumber resolution but, like the original, was decent aside from that.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

1. Continuum - Probably the best and most intelligently written time travel series to date.
Seriously? This show was such a giant mess that just trying to work out whose side we were supposed to be on was a struggle. I ended up watching it just for Kellog, who was the only person whose goals and motivations made sense and weren't terrible. And I could never figure out why literally every other character hated him. He was just trying to make the best of a bad situation that he never asked to be in.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Terminator the Sarah Connor Chronicles is excellent
The writers' strike really hosed up the second season, but it's still better than most of the Terminator movies.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tiggum posted:

Seriously? This show was such a giant mess that just trying to work out whose side we were supposed to be on was a struggle. I ended up watching it just for Kellog, who was the only person whose goals and motivations made sense and weren't terrible. And I could never figure out why literally every other character hated him. He was just trying to make the best of a bad situation that he never asked to be in.

Because Kellogg was an opportunist with no principles who would and did gently caress over anyone and everyone for a bit of power. He disliked the corporations because they were oppressing him, not because they were oppressing people in general. He was fine with the corporate future as long as he was in charge.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Because Kellogg was an opportunist with no principles who would and did gently caress over anyone and everyone for a bit of power. He disliked the corporations because they were oppressing him, not because they were oppressing people in general. He was fine with the corporate future as long as he was in charge.
He never tried to gently caress over anyone who didn't try to gently caress him over first though. Like, multiple times he was basically out of everyone's way just doing his own thing until one of them came and dragged him back into it, or tried to gently caress up whatever he was doing even though he wasn't doing any harm. They just seemed to always assume he was trying to screw them over even though he rarely was. And I think his attitude to changing the future was more like "sure, go ahead and try, just leave me out of it because I think you'll fail or make things worse." Wanting to have a better position in the hierarchy that you believe is inevitable and inescapable doesn't really seem like the motive of a villain to me. He's not trying to oppress anyone, he's just trying to not be oppressed himself.

If you look at the story from his perspective, he gets labelled a terrorist because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. He gets sent back in time because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. He tries to get away from the real terrorists as quickly as he can, and use his knowledge of the future to make a decent life for himself. Whenever he can, he tries to do things he thinks will make the future a bit better - without terrorism or unnecessary personal risk. But the terrorists and the cops just won't leave him alone, and even keep forcing him to help them even though none of them like or trust him.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Seriously? This show was such a giant mess that just trying to work out whose side we were supposed to be on was a struggle.

Thats exactly what I think made Continuum great. I don't think that it's fair to call it a mess just because they don't paint everything in pure black or white but fantastic at making the viewer feel uncomfortable as they explore the varying shades of gray in between.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tiggum posted:

He never tried to gently caress over anyone who didn't try to gently caress him over first though. Like, multiple times he was basically out of everyone's way just doing his own thing until one of them came and dragged him back into it, or tried to gently caress up whatever he was doing even though he wasn't doing any harm. They just seemed to always assume he was trying to screw them over even though he rarely was. And I think his attitude to changing the future was more like "sure, go ahead and try, just leave me out of it because I think you'll fail or make things worse." Wanting to have a better position in the hierarchy that you believe is inevitable and inescapable doesn't really seem like the motive of a villain to me. He's not trying to oppress anyone, he's just trying to not be oppressed himself.

If you look at the story from his perspective, he gets labelled a terrorist because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. He gets sent back in time because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. He tries to get away from the real terrorists as quickly as he can, and use his knowledge of the future to make a decent life for himself. Whenever he can, he tries to do things he thinks will make the future a bit better - without terrorism or unnecessary personal risk. But the terrorists and the cops just won't leave him alone, and even keep forcing him to help them even though none of them like or trust him.

I am almost positive he went from shades of grey to full on villain during the last season. He definitely did during the last episode.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Thats exactly what I think made Continuum great. I don't think that it's fair to call it a mess just because they don't paint everything in pure black or white but fantastic at making the viewer feel uncomfortable as they explore the varying shades of gray in between.
I don't think they did that though. They started out that way, but it all got so convoluted that no one's motives made sense any more. And they kept introducing more factions and more complexity until nothing made sense.

Although none of that was as bad as the bit where everyone acted like travelling back in time two weeks made them totally different people. Like, you've suddenly got the evil Alec and Carlos not trusting Keira any more because she wasn't the Keira from this timeline. It was two weeks!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I am almost positive he went from shades of grey to full on villain during the last season. He definitely did during the last episode.
I can't remember exactly what happened in the last episode, but most of that season was just him trying to figure out what the future soldiers who claimed to be working for him were really after, wasn't it? Or was that when he basically kicked Alec out of his company? Because both of those were just more times when he was only taking action to protect himself from the various people trying to gently caress with him.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
The quality of Continuum definitely varied a lot over its run, but I still thought it was great. One moment in particular I remember was when it really pressed home the consequences of time traveling/
Pretty near the end of the show we see from the perspective the main character when she's left behind and someone else changes the past. It doesn't just swap to an alternate timeline, the present she was living no longer has a continuous history that leads up to it and reality just collapses in on itself. World starts tearing itself apart, people are falling upwards into the sky. Main character is loaded into what resembles a old timey diving bell by a secret society who basically acknowledge they have failed and their reality is doomed. Our friendly IT sidekick character who went back just 2 weeks to save his girlfriend is immediately shown to be one of the worst war criminals of history alongside Hitler and Barry Allen.

Signal is a Korean show with the exact premise of Frequency from the OP. I believe both are based of the 2000 movie also called Frequency. They do something weird with the aspect ratio to indicate when they're in the past which I found slightly off putting, but other than that I can wholeheartedly recommend the show. One case they look into during the show is based off the Hwaseong serial murders which they expect the audience to be somewhat familiar with. It's enough to know it's a famous case that took place in the 80s and was never solved.
Edit: You can watch it with English subtitles on a few different places. It's on Hulu for subscribers and also on Viki and Dramafever for free, though it won't be in HD unless you subscribe to those.

THF13 fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Dec 5, 2017

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

THF13 posted:

The quality of Continuum definitely varied a lot over its run, but I still thought it was great. One moment in particular I remember was when it really pressed home the consequences of time traveling/
Pretty near the end of the show we see from the perspective the main character when she's left behind and someone else changes the past. It doesn't just swap to an alternate timeline, the present she was living no longer has a continuous history that leads up to it and reality just collapses in on itself. World starts tearing itself apart, people are falling upwards into the sky. Main character is loaded into what resembles a old timey diving bell by a secret society who basically acknowledge they have failed and their reality is doomed. Our friendly IT sidekick character who went back just 2 weeks to save his girlfriend is immediately shown to be one of the worst war criminals of history alongside Hitler and Barry Allen.
Except no one died. Nothing happened. Time travel doesn't kill people, it just changes what happened to them. Those versions of people that get "erased" shouldn't have time to think "oh poo poo, our world is being erased" because they should retroactively have never existed. It's why the "time traveller is unaffected by modifying their own past" model of time travel makes no sense.

It's like Peter Petrelli's girlfriend in Heroes. He took her to the future then went back to the past and changed it so the future he took her to never happened. So where is she? The show's answer was "don't think about it, in fact forget she ever existed, that's not important right now" (because it was a very bad show), but a better answer would be that when Peter changed the past he not only erased that future, he also changed his own past so that he never went to that future because it wasn't there for him to go to. It doesn't answer where she ended up, all we know is it wasn't that erased future because the thing that we definitely saw happen never actually happened. It was a very bad show.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tiggum posted:

I don't think they did that though. They started out that way, but it all got so convoluted that no one's motives made sense any more. And they kept introducing more factions and more complexity until nothing made sense.

Although none of that was as bad as the bit where everyone acted like travelling back in time two weeks made them totally different people. Like, you've suddenly got the evil Alec and Carlos not trusting Keira any more because she wasn't the Keira from this timeline. It was two weeks!

I can't remember exactly what happened in the last episode, but most of that season was just him trying to figure out what the future soldiers who claimed to be working for him were really after, wasn't it? Or was that when he basically kicked Alec out of his company? Because both of those were just more times when he was only taking action to protect himself from the various people trying to gently caress with him.

He believed the soldiers pretty quickly, then for the rest of the season went to actively sabotaging Kiera and everyone else so he could invade the present with his future army and ensure he would be corporate overlord forever.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Except no one died. Nothing happened. Time travel doesn't kill people, it just changes what happened to them.

When squatter Alec jumped back a week it literally caused the entire timeline to collapse. Presumably the entire universe ceased to exist. At least that's how I took things anyway.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Day Break is kinda time travel too, but it's more of a groundhog day loop. Still worth checking out too.

Day Break is great, 13 episodes it tells a nice story and is worth your time.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

He believed the soldiers pretty quickly, then for the rest of the season went to actively sabotaging Kiera and everyone else so he could invade the present with his future army and ensure he would be corporate overlord forever.
I don't think you give him enough credit. He never trusted anyone, he just played along until he could figure out what his best move was.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Not Operator posted:

By sheer coincidence, I recently went on a huge time travel kick too. I watched Travelers on a whim because they had a nixie tube clock motif on their Netflix graphic that reminded me of a video game, then wound up watched all these shows (although I didn't go too far with Twelve Monkeys). It was like Netflix just kept throwing them at me.

Anyway, the only one I know you haven't brought up yet is:

Timeless - Currently one season with another due in 2018, Timeless is basically Legends with more competent characters. Some bad guys steal the world's first time machine to go back and perform random and confusing acts of time terrorism, like saving the Hindenburg??? and stranding Apollo 11. The company that lost the machine, along with the US government who are annoyed that a time machine was built without them being told, enlist a three person team (time-pilot, historian, soldier) to go back in time using an earlier prototype, and prevent changes to history. It hits a lot of the same beats Legends does, visiting points of historical interest, and meeting famous figures. There's an episode where they get Bass Reeves to hunt Billy the Kid. Its a lot of fun and if I'd done your list, I'd put it just below Travelers. It also largely doesn't shy away from how lovely most of US history is for black people, if that sort of thing makes you roll your eyes.

It's brought down a little by the meta-plot, which is about a grand conspiracy that throws doubt on the time terrorist's motives, but nothing's perfect.

I don't know if its available everywhere, but its on Netflix in the UK.

I was 100% convinced this had been cancelled...

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Astroman posted:

I was 100% convinced this had been cancelled...

It wasn't but I wasn't at all impressed by the show. None of the characters were compelling enough to keep my attention and the plotline was written by a scripting bot. I did however giggle when Timeless and LoT did a Bonnie and Clyde episode in the same week.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
It did get cancelled, and then picked up anyways. http://tvline.com/2017/05/13/timeless-renewed-season-2-nbc/

Time travel is wonky eh guys?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I liked Timeless' pilot, which I thought promised some actual major changes to the timeline, but subsequent episodes only introduced minor changes which barely make a difference in the grand scheme of things, consequently making it feel a lot more procedural and less compelling.

Eventually, I think they started to come up with more fun things for the team to do later on in the season, which I'm pretty down for if that's the direction they want to go in season 2. Like Legends, they started having fun with the concept and started doing things like teaming up with Harry Houdini to save Edison, Ford, and JP Morgan from an assassination plot, then take down HH Holmes.

Tiggum posted:

Except no one died. Nothing happened. Time travel doesn't kill people, it just changes what happened to them. Those versions of people that get "erased" shouldn't have time to think "oh poo poo, our world is being erased" because they should retroactively have never existed. It's why the "time traveller is unaffected by modifying their own past" model of time travel makes no sense.

Mostly agree, but I think having the time traveller themselves be unaffected can be scienced away by saying something like "well time travelers operate outside of time" or "they were in the past when the future was changed and butterfly effect only propagates forward". The really egregious kind is stuff like Looper where someone carves a message into someone's skin in the past and the same guy in the present sees the message appear on his skin in real time.

Then there's Legends, which is trashy fun, but puts absolutely zero thought into time travel rules, which is most evident in the season 1 finale where the plan to kill the immortal bad guy involves assassinating him in three different time periods _simultaneously_.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Argue posted:

Mostly agree, but I think having the time traveller themselves be unaffected can be scienced away by saying something like "well time travelers operate outside of time" or "they were in the past when the future was changed and butterfly effect only propagates forward".
I feel like the more they try to explain or justify it, the less I buy it. If they just have one time traveller do something that should effect a second and then that second time traveller has a chance to undo it before it effects them, but they just sort of gloss of the mechanics of it, I'm much more likely to buy that than if they go "we have exactly four hours before the changes propagate back through time" or "the future's been changed but we weren't affected because we were outside of our own chronology" because whatever explanation they come up with always sounds like bullshit.

Argue posted:

The really egregious kind is stuff like Looper where someone carves a message into someone's skin in the past and the same guy in the present sees the message appear on his skin in real time.
Yeah, Back to the Future rules are the worst.

Argue posted:

Then there's Legends, which is trashy fun, but puts absolutely zero thought into time travel rules, which is most evident in the season 1 finale where the plan to kill the immortal bad guy involves assassinating him in three different time periods _simultaneously_.
I hated that at the time, because the show was still trying to be taken somewhat seriously then and it just makes no sense. But if they did that again now I think I'd be a lot more forgiving because the show has just leaned fully into the "don't try to make sense of it, we know it doesn't make sense" attitude.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Continuum was fantastic because it decided to up the ante with each season significantly. Season 2 barely felt anything like the first, and the third and forth were unparalleled in how good they were. Last 2 episodes of T:SCC kinda good.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Continuum is king. It really does things that no other show does - not just sci-fi but in general - in regards of "good vs bad". Because there is really no-one good in the show. The protagonist is less willing to harm innocents but is also fighting for a dystopian horror future. Liber8 are terrible mass murderers who also happen to fight for individual rights and liberty we all believe in. And ultimately it doesn't matter because time is an ever-evolving organism so far beyond human control that messing with it will make things worse anyway. It has a bit rough first season and suffers from the fact that it didn't get as many seasons as it really needed to tell the story but despite those minuses it is still easily the best time travel show ever made, and the time travel aspect is really not even why I like it so much. It has great actors that I still love seeing in other dystopian sci-fi shows, absolutely incredible music and no show does badass/meaningful monologues better then Continuum. Needed several re-watches to fully appreciate it though.

Travelers is easily the most tightly plotted time travel show ever, really showing the strengths of the Netflix model when it comes to plot coherency. Holy poo poo if you have not seen the show don't get spoiled here. It is a slow, slow ride at first but goddamn is it worth sticking with. Honestly it might end up tying with Continuum if they keep this up. Never seen any sci-fi show hold it's reveals as close to the chest as this does but it definitely pays off. The last episode of the first season revolutionizes the whole thing. The second season is exponentially better then the first. The tropes it reverses are great - you got invasion of the Body Snatchers except the Body Snatchers are trying to save the world as per orders of benevolent future Skynet who they follow like God. There hasn't been a single actual scene in the future shown but from what little gets revealed it sounds miserable as gently caress. The time travel "cult" and its operation and their voluntary subordination to an artificial intelligence are fascinating and I don't recall any other show having as morally dubious time travel method yet.

Future Man makes fun of everything else in this thread and is loving hilarious.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 6, 2017

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Speaking of bodysnatchers, the scene in Travelers where all the members of the military team get mind jacked one by one was loving horrifying and amazing. I'm super jazzed about watching season two during the holidays.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Not Operator posted:

Speaking of bodysnatchers, the scene in Travelers where all the members of the military team get mind jacked one by one was loving horrifying and amazing. I'm super jazzed about watching season two during the holidays.

Yeah the Director is good but definitely not nice. That scene seriously disturbed me. Season 2 ups the ante too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Re: Continuum talk

Tiggum posted:

I mean, by the final episode Kellog's decided that one of the future soldiers is a femme fatale assassin sent back in time to steal his liver, so he goes pretty cuckoo by the end. Of course, despite this, he inevitably tries to make out with her, only to find out that she's a perfectly nice woman who is also his daughter. Who he then, IIRC, kills.

The show did not like him at all.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I'm sorry, I've only seen two people talk about Future Man in this thread and that is totally unacceptable.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

suddenlyissoon posted:

I'm sorry, I've only seen two people talk about Future Man in this thread and that is totally unacceptable.

Best CPR scene ever!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

While probably not quite what OP is looking for, ITV2's sitcom Timewasters was pretty great, involving a black jazz band from the present travelling back to 1926.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-ZHpNjnVEE

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Continuum owns because the hero is fighting to save and get back to a corrupt capitalist dystopia while the villains are fighting to keep power in the hands of everyday people and out of faceless corporations.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Pwnstar posted:

Continuum owns because the hero is fighting to save and get back to a corrupt capitalist dystopia while the villains are fighting to keep power in the hands of everyday people and out of faceless corporations.

At some point she seems really down on the corporate congress, but I absolutely can't place when or why she changes her opinions.

e: actually, a lot of stuff in continuum feels really sudden and not fully fleshed out. I did like it overall though.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Not Operator posted:

At some point she seems really down on the corporate congress, but I absolutely can't place when or why she changes her opinions.

e: actually, a lot of stuff in continuum feels really sudden and not fully fleshed out. I did like it overall though.

Continuum was always on the verge of being cancelled so towards the end of s2 and s3 they made it seem like Cameron had seen the light, but upon renewal things required her to be a dumbass again.

Not Operator posted:

This scene was hyper hosed up.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Not Operator posted:

She changes her mind in the middle of season three, after she's compelled to kidnap the nicer, history changing Alec so that the arsehole version can go on to create the future she comes from. It's basically the Liber8 conflict in a microcosm, and in solving it the way she'd typically solve the greater Liber8 problem, she's forced to face up to what she's actually doing.. Then they have a whole episode about her past, and how she thought her future existed one way, but now she thinks of it differently.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

DarkCrawler posted:

Yeah the Director is good but definitely not nice. That scene seriously disturbed me. Season 2 ups the ante too.

I was going to say something about anthropomorphizing, that you shouldn't assign human traits to a non human entity but the episode that aired last Monday made it seem like The Director has some concept of emotions in the same way humans do.

The travelers ongoing thing with regular food is hilarious and Grace is a fantastic character

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

lol, I forgot about all that.

*gags on coffee*
This is cow's milk...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Minor S2 spoiler: Newly arrived traveler discovers doughnuts, wonders why they put holes in them

• Locked thread