Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
I just wanted to get in on the ground floor and say:

im gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

In terms of why you get more trans people in tech I think, as other posters have said, much of it might be down to issues of visibility. That said I know of some ongoing research into promotion in elite professions that posits that people from more working class backgrounds who mange to get into professional jobs still don't get promoted as fast as their more middle/upper class counterparts. For example, you might get a job as a high paid lawyer but your not going to be made partner unless your wearing the right kind of suits, talking in the right kind of way etc, something that comes naturally for those from money background and can be a weird exclusionary code for those who come from poorer backgrounds. But in tech you don't really get this too much as you get in and rise to the top (or very near it) on purely technical skills alone which might minimise the opportunities for subtle but pervasive forms of discrimination. Maybe there is something similar happening here in tech with trans people? idk really but I thought this might be part of why you see more openly trans people in tech.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

ate all the Oreos posted:

i was gonna write up a long and mostly speculative reply to vodkat's post but near the end i realized a much more simple explanation:

Yea I would agree, my post was very speculative too, I just know someone who is doing similar research and I thought there might be similar factors at play for trans people too. Like everyone else has said this isn't the main factor, but I was more thinking that you might be able to afford to transition from a higher paying job, but transitioning might put you out of that job etc creating a bit of catch-22.

GameCube posted:

lol, if only

also this

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

finally - database queery would be a pretty great yospos username imo.

would make a great thread title to imo

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Powaqoatse posted:

thats literally the first time ive heard of taking roll post highschool

Sagebrush posted:

Most of my classes are under 20 students and studio format, so it matters a lot if you don't show up

In the UK have a legal requirement to take a register for the students in my university level classes because our stupid government has tied attendance to student visa renewal. ofc we don't know students visa statuses so this then has to apply to all students. I am really lax with this and will accept almost every reason for being absent and I just do the registers after class or latter that as I think its frankly quite insulting to do at this level particularly if its in a way that is visible or rollcally. If I can't remember exactly who was there I mark them as present, I only make a point of marking people absent if it looks like a regular thing or that I think the student might be having other issues outside of class as this flags them up to whoever is responsible for their pastoral care to make sure they are ok.

cis autodrag posted:

Everyone is over complicating this. Don't take roll on the first day. Instead announce that you will take roll from then on and that if someone's preferred name (use that language) differs from their registration to let you know before the next class.

This way you are asking if the Christophers in the room want to go by Chris too and you're not singling out just trans students. Send out an email after class with the same statement for the dipshits who skip the first day of class.

Don't make it about trans students. Just make it generally about getting the name people go by.

In a recent round of teacher training someone said something similar that has really struck me and stuck with me:

"if you need to change something in you class to make it more inclusive for a specific student (disability/dyslexia/accessibility/etc etc) then its probably something you should be doing anyway as good teaching practice that will be helpful for all you students regardless of if they have (any of these specific) issues or not"

vodkat fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 10, 2017