Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

you could use something like TopHat I guess? it’s like ~<$30 for a student for 1 class and handles attendance sign ins through an app, clicker style multiple choice questions in class, homework submissions, grading etc. it’s...not great, but better than previous alternatives and is much cheaper than a standard text or something assuming the class doesn’t need one. not sure if appropriate for that sort of class

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

it means a lot of things to a lot of people right? it could be an encapsulating term for all lgtb+ people. or specifically referring to sexuality, or gender, or both. I haven’t heard it used in a pejorative sense for a long time, but of course tone and context are important otherwise

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 31, 2018

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

CommunistPancake posted:

signs that i might be trans are becoming hard to ignore. what do i do now.

all mentioned, but also don't concern yourself with regret, either over lost time or the possibility of future regret. a study I read had something like, only ~1% of people who transitioned thought it was the wrong decision. you're not wrong about what you feel, cis people generally don't feel poo poo like dysphoria or question so much. seek out professionals and people in the community to talk to

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Prosthetic_Mind posted:

Brought that up, apparently there isn't much for groupon in New Brunswick, and other than that it sounds like more of just a money and time kind of thing. Thanks to everyone for your help.

Edit: That therapy advice is right on the money.

hot tip, get the gently caress out of New Brunswick, you can probably find something elsewhere. prolly better options in Halifax and Montreal is a days drive away. I apologize if you have looked

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

I assume you have a car if you live there. I know NB is not the most queer friendly place either. I understand that it’s a time issue but the potential cost savings might still be worth it

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Zamujasa posted:

a mutual friend of ours (you probably know who) has boob forms for this exact reason, mostly so that on days where they feel feminine they can put them on and on days where they don't they don't

(at least until that particular piece of clothing fell apart, whoops)

other than that yeah same w/r/t the impossible to make it up and no time or drive to try new things. i feel a lot like the stereotypical "girl on the internet, guy in real life" thing because it's too much effort and brain energy to do anything else

without knowing much about your situation I will say that there is always time, but drive and effort are hard to will, it's tough to do much of anything when depressed

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

bi visibility and erasure are real problems. I see how it might feel weird if you’re cis and have otherwise been in hetero relationships so far, but your identity is still valid!

one thing that irks me tho is people intentionally co-opting queer status to be a minority with no downsides, who otherwise have nothing to do with the community. this isn’t you though. and i shouldn’t concern myself with them as gaytekeeping is lovely...their identities are also valid, if that’s how they feel inside, and they never need to act on it for it to be true

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

keyboard vomit posted:

Is this an "I'm mad at asexuals" thing

??? no not at all. was just remembering some lovely and uneducated people who couldn’t grok intersectionality

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Venuz Patrol posted:

i don't think your concern is founded here. the implied and accepted meaning of bisexual already matches what people are trying to define pansexual as. i don't care either way which word people use to describe themselves, but i do have a problem with people who, as you're doing here, try to use their identity to make snide implications about people who identify as bi.

bi doesn't mean 2 in this case. prescriptivism can go to hell

most cis people won’t date trans or gender non-conforming people. the wording is very clear about intention. their post is in response to a particular, singular post, not implications about bi people as a whole or what that word means to them

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

sure, that’s the sort of society we live in. better than the alternative

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

oh for sure, 100%. it helped to learn that some of those branded groups are created by real people who organize for their collective benefit under their employer, though this is not always the case.

pride is complicated and ymwv depending on your locality. check out the other events / parties and poo poo going on adjacent to pride proper, stuff more organized by and for the community

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

nooooo god that sucks. there are probably cool things going on, but it depends where you are. the underground party scene / after hours is historically queer as gently caress, but even aside from that there’s probably something not-pride going on that’s alright

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

that’s a farce, it’s like the south where it’s not the words said (they could appear courteous on the surface) but the subtext

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

SenatorIvy posted:

Yeah these are things that a prior doctor had mentioned in passing to me years ago when I first wondered aloud to him that had me very leery at first and then eventually I just settled in the fear of "well I don't wanna die of blood clots so I guess that's right out" and I've basically ridden the wave of "I'll just dress like a woman, then" ever since.

I'm not interested in bottom surgery, but my top is definitely something I'd love to not be unhappy with on a daily basis. I've done laser & electro all over for a few years now and it's gone a country mile towards killing my "this isn't me" feeling but beyond a few face things my main concern is boobs. I've been nervous to say anything like this around a doctor though because I assumed admitting that my dilznick was acceptable would end up with them adding me to some Do-Not-Serve list of people who aren't trans but are instead just engaging in salacious gender minstrelcy. :( I'd like to be as "naturally" femme as possible but if I can't do HRT for [Reason X] or something, I'd be happy if I could at least surgerify things to align my appearance with how I'd like to be.

Sorry if I'm rambling here; I've spent years having to tiptoe around this and I don't want to come off wrong and offend anybody.

I think negative side effects as listed are what someone has experienced in a trial, and while something like stroke is certainly possible it is difficult to asses the true risk of hormones. I know that there is less risk if you don’t need spiro (orchi or otherwise). it’s a small percentage of this population who have these issues, with modifiers like lifestyle choice, some you can control (smoking, sedentary lifestyle), others not (existing conditions / circumstances). what I mean to say is that the true risk is probably fairly low. it’s possible to trial these medications and stop, as well

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

yeah it’s mundo lovely and pretty skeevy. i know some people who use it to socialize in general which is kinda weird but whatever. I guess you can use it to score drugs ???

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

orchi -> no spiro, and no associated problems, sorry if I was unclear

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

it’s very easy to self inject, these are IM shots so there’s loads of surface area.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

rear end is a common place to hit.

quick googling http://fenwayhealth.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/COM-1880-trans-health_injection-guide_small_v2.pdf , might be more comprehensive guides but should be sufficient

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

worse would be hitting an artery and dying on the off chance but if you’re knowledgeable about your own body there shouldn’t be problems

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

that would help but agh, hope opiates don’t give you the itch

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

oh I meant being physically itchy as a common side effect :shobon: I can’t imagine it would be good to scratch a lot after lazer

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Yes, Sylveon is Trans

your occult sexuality is a place of solace

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

its a good flag, it has balance. I am not a big fan of most of the other queer flags aesthetically

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

historically pink is boy and blue is girl tho right? the pink ~ girl / boy ~ blue thing is dumb as hell, but I don’t see why these colours can’t be reclaimed once again

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

tie die is just sinful. hippies should not be what’s conjured to mind

ate all the Oreos posted:

idk i think the whole pink / blue thing is the most obvious case of gender roles in society in flux, since it was different in the past and is different now in other cultures, and them being pastel means they're not particularly "strong" either.

also i think it's pretty and one of the only queer flags that isn't super gaudy :colbert:

:agreed: even the iconic rainbow flag has nowhere to rest the eyes. the lesbian flag with the labrys looks cool too

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

both sides, the truth is in the middle, protecting discourse the shitheel bleats

there’s no real discussion to be had when the opposition wants you dead

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

most people are all talk and will just hurl abuse from afar, like moving vehicles or bikes, but sometimes on foot. if you’re outnumbered don’t try it, I’ve gotten jumped and it’s more about getting away. still, violence is sometimes the answer but be mindful of the situation, things can escalate terribly

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Lain Iwakura posted:

yesterday was the trans march. I will always fight back

I feel like that too, at the core, but it won’t turn out well for you if you say always, especially if you don’t have self defence training. barring that some people feel safer with self defence weapons, at least to immobilize an attacker so you can get away (pepper spray, taser, etc). as cool smth like switchblades are, they can make your situation worse by escalation, but having something blunt around like a flashlight is not the worst idea. self preserve first, but sometimes it’s necessary to fight

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

incels interlinked posted:

What’s a good way to shut down people who are saying transphobic things? I was in a situation recently with a very ignorant couple of people around me who started going down that road when in the presence of a trans person. Now, she couldn’t hear them at all, and they moved on to another subject without making any offensive comments, but it made me cringe and I’d like to say something more productive than shut the gently caress up should it happen again.

you can’t reason with bigots, at best they’ll stop it around you and just keep talking like that among their own kind

e. vvv agreed tho :shobon:

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 4, 2018

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

call out pricks, for sure. shame often works, but some have none - in that case be mindful that attention can be double edged. frustrating dealing w/ certain family about this. just telling people to shut up point blank can work, sometimes not

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

lovely gay white dudes ~ defacto straights, by intersectionality

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

jit bull transpile posted:

why don't you stop judging how other people live their lives? loving lol @ "correct" names.

sephiroth mclovin

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

it will take a while for you to be infertile (and this effect is reversible up to a point), you could prolly start with no ill consequence if it's in the near future

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

that is a cursed word, even if it is descriptive I am not sure you want to self identify as that

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

the last time they did this blocking tags or whatever, “top surgery” was one so ... staff continue to be bad. they don’t do a good job with the community and tend to double down on their dumb choices

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

that’s fine? this community is not likely to have much natural discovery at this point on (tho we did get a few new users from that ex-Tesla employee going viral) so as the active user base shrinks word of mouth is probably a good idea. this place self enforces standards too, but they can probably get it if they’re online a lot and observe a bit. just keep in mind it’s a public space and some other boards or even threads might not be so nice necessarily

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

but yeah this place is good. it’s a p queer and left leaning tech community with a good balance of expertise and stupid jokes

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Dec 26, 2018

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

SmokaDustbowl posted:

the best part of being trans is hiding it constantly for fear of getting assaulted for not passing, and also the substance abuse

if you don’t address this properly you might end up killing yourself one way or another. I’m serious, it’s a much more pressing concern than a fear of others

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

suppression and drug abuse to cope is a well tread path and it does not usually end well. at best you might crater and get to a point where you have to do something. but before that you’re consigned to some liminal hell, can barely see a day ahead with no hope that things will get any better