Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Shame Boy posted:

well if anyone needs some good news, noted trans retro tech lady Fran Blanche got gentrified out of her current building (for like the second or third loving time in a decade) and posted a video talking about how she basically had nowhere to go and no money to go there with and this keeps happening right when she starts to get comfortable somewhere. at the suggestion of a few people she put up a gofundme three days ago with a goal of $10k, enough to cover moving expenses at least, and in the three days it's been up it's nearly hit $30k. she's found a place where she can lease with option to buy so this will never happen again, and is just utterly stunned and in awe of the outpouring of support :3:

also a lot of the super toxic side of the tech community are just now finding out she's trans apparently and are responding with various levels of "how could she possibly be trans, she's cool and i like her but trans people are all evil bathroom monsters!!!" so that cognitive dissonance parade has been fun to watch

yeah, i learned of fran getting evicted from a bigclive video today and was really pleased to see that she'd blown way past her gfm goal before I even got to the page :3: I hope she's able to stay put in her new place and move all her cool stuff!

also youtube's highlight algorithms are weird, for some reason of all the people i sub to fran never seems to show up on my homepage :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

good luck lain!

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

SunAndSpring posted:

Grats

question for those living in the states: is it normal for every trans mental health care provider in your areas to not allow you to pay with insurance? around here they say it's for privacy concerns but honestly it just feels like it's just ripping people off because it's a college area and college kids are generally better off than most

i’m in Chicago and my therapist is covered under my insurance but they only accept one carrier (blue cross).

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

omg that's just outright atrocious :(

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

nail painting requires a deceptively large amount of skill doesn't it?

Some skill, but like a lot of things it's mostly practice. I'm hoping I can apply this to touching up the paint on my car as well, especially since I won't have to do that left-handed :v:

Shifty Pony posted:

I totally understand the question mark at the end of the second bit. the only times I've been sure sure about it is in the middle of some dysphoria. i try to hold onto that sure-ness but it can be very hard.

yuuuuuup. like a year after coming out, and a month into HRT, and I'm still "well I think this feels right. yeah it does. I think."

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

mine are currently pastel green with a blue-green glitter topcoat (and a total wreck because I went camping)

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

mine have chipped a heck of a lot less since i stopped buying cheap polish. you can often find OPI dirt cheap at tj maxx or nordstrom rack

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Shame Boy posted:

i mean it was rubber, i didn't think they made rubber clip-on ones but i guess i'm not really up to date on non-buttplug-tail technology

they are 100% a thing. Go to IML and the strap-on ones outnumber the others probably 100:1 (at least during the day)

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Northalsted Market Days is next weekend and it’s a heck of a lot more my speed than the Chicago Pride Parade which is just a shitshow of corporatism these days (not that Market Days isn’t but it’s a little more low key)

I’m super looking forward to Jake Shears, I was super sick and missed a show late last year

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

good luck!

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Hi!

I’ve been keeping up on this thread and not really posting in it other than the occasional drop in but uh

hi again

about a year ago i finally realized i’m non-binary and about a couple months ago i started HRT.

things have been weird but mostly good and i don’t know if i’ve ever felt this good about myself :3: which in itself is weird and foreign and i’m working through how to handle that

anyhow, i want to finally start laser hair removal and get rid of this beard but don’t really know where to start. my partner is tired of me shaving multiple times a day and reminding me that i want to do this (and he himself would consider it if he didn’t have blonde hair), my therapist has probably listened to me talk about this for weeks now. like...do i just pick a random place? go for a groupon deal? how exactly do i find one that isn’t going to be a waste of time/money or judge me for being trans?

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

can i e/n about how much of a mess my relationship has been since i started hrt in here

i should probably condense it because what I wrote is 4 pages long

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

i always get poo poo from girls about _oh my god your nails are so beautiful_ and i havent cut them in a week or two so theyre long and i'm so so tempted to paint
just to see
they grow really strong and even
did you ever want to learn how to touch up paint on your car with your non-dominant hand? here’s your chance

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

yay: Illinois is getting a non-binary gender option on our IDs
not yay: the contractor that prints the IDs and has to implement the changes to add an X has a contract that lasts through the end of the current administration :mad:

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

can I get an F on my Illinois ID without sacrificing my firstborn yet

I haven’t actually looked into it for some reason

have a chat with your doc, they’ll need to submit an affidavit and a couple forms, that’s about it. I should have more info in a week or so, I asked mine to start on it even though I can’t really do anything with it until the company that prints IDs catches up with the law.

my doc has actually been pretty great about me being trans and everyone around him has sucked about it. I came out and he immediately let me know he has the forms ready for both that and passport changes ready as soon as I am, and nothing has really changed about our relationship other than a few new requisite medical questions

what’s sucked: his assistant suddenly seems real uncomfortable with me, and the phlebotomist deadnamed me repeatedly today despite the fact that my real name is on the screen in front of her and we can both see it. she decided to call it out one last time as I’m walking out the door and I really feel like we’re on the malicious side of Hanlon’s razor here.

at least Epic updated their poo poo and “male-to-female transgender person” is listed as a “health issue” and not under the heading “problems” anymore

minivanmegafun fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 28, 2019

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

you guys and girls are loving saints.

guys and gals and non-binary pals thank you very much :v:

it’s probably mostly that I’m recently out and still struggling with validity but it gets better every day :shobon:

minivanmegafun posted:

at least Epic updated their poo poo and “male-to-female transgender person” is listed as a “health issue” and not under the heading “problems” anymore

update: lol nope.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

jit bull transpile posted:

it's a configuration choice actually. so it's that particular health care organization choosing to be lovely.

this place’s stuff is in general lovely and hosed up. it’s currently also telling me that I’ve been overdue for a chicken pox vaccine since 1996 and I’m due for a pap smear in january 2020

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

i need to use the epilator out in the back yard more often, the light is so good out here

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

i’m still super weirded out when i catch my reflection in like a window and being happy with it

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

they changed the law as of tuesday and I was able to walk in and get an F with no docs

there’s still no X on the new form :mad:

https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/pdf_publications/dsd_a329.pdf

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

the dithering on that fox is so amazing Shifty Pony, i love it!

my partner still seems to be spiraling re my transition. He was fine when I came out, wrote me a card and gave me chocolates on my first visit to get set up with HRT, and ever since the physical changes started showing even a little bit he's just been...freaked out.

Sometimes he's okay and will even joke about it with me but being reminded how real it is sends him spiraling. Tonight he was fine until I had to shut up for a bit to wait for a tablet to dissolve and during that silence he just lost it. It's not falling into fights, he just looks lost and hurt and...sad.

He's struggling. He wants to understand. He's deeply unhappy with himself for not accepting this like he says he should. I keep just getting "I'm sorry" from him every time he feels this way. I'm sure he's scared to actually talk about how he's feeling out of fear I'll give up on my transition just to keep him around; he's tried to make me promise that I'm not going to stop no matter what happens. Obviously I can't make that promise since I don't know at all what's going to influence me in the future, but I can at least promise to him that I will try not to let his discomfort here change my mind. I think he's also not allowing himself the space he needs to mourn the loss of his boyfriend, again out of fear of the same thing.

He's a strongly GNC cis man and often presents more feminine than I do. I wasn't really expecting this strong of a reaction but :sigh:. I think he was just hoping I'd age into a salt-and-pepper daddy for him and uh, no.

Also finding support groups for AMAB-AMAB couples where one ends up transitioning seems impossible! It seems like they're all focused around previously cishet couples with one or the other transitioning, not being queer to start with.

He's also realized that he's depressed and hasn't done anything to pull himself out of that. I don't know how to tell him "you need a therapist" that doesn't come across as being nagging, but both myself and our couples therapist keep bringing it up. He has some history of self-harm so...I'm honestly just terrified.

We've been together for 11 years (through our 20s into our 30s) and always sort of grew at the same rate, and now it feels like I'm running away ahead.

Our relationship is also strained in that we've been open and kinda sorta poly for the past few years, but I've never had the confidence to act on it and just let him have fun on his own. We've always had mismatched sex drives, and I've always been fine with it. Outside of being out of town and shared partners I've never really acted on it, and the one time I did he freaked the hell out. I'm starting to actually get some confidence for once in my life and it's clear that his insecurities about me actually taking advantage of how we've worked this out (at least on paper) is going to be problematic.

I don't even know what I'm asking for here. I'm just kind of venting at this point. I'm lost and frustrated and I love him and I'm running out of things to do to try to fix this.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

sure thing Me, let's just come out near the end of the fiscal year which is always stressful but this year 10x so thanks to major changes in what you are working on in your job and the resolution of a medical issue.

that's a fantastic idea. surely your body's tendency to go into rapid fire "Gender=???????" mode when stressed won't bite you in the rear end with the always fun "maybe I'm wrong should have waited a bit more to be extra sure and..." thinking when you really, really need to be working on something else.

in summary: *long scream*

still happy I did when I did. this will pass but oh joy does it suck while it goes by

i kinda had the opposite response when i finally came out? like it was a huge anxiety that lifted off of me

but i had brought it up to my partner like the first day i started seriously questioning things (mainly since it manifested in a dysphoric breakdown with tears and he was there to witness it and support me)

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I’ve been using an electric razor and it’s one of those fancy ones that can clean itself and lets me know when the blades need to be replaced

the indicator for that says “REPLACE EVERY 18 MONTHS” it just fired and I checked, i replaced it only six months ago :ohdear:

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

it is almost certainly simply a run timer. if it is cutting well don't worry about it would be my advice

im sure it is, it’s more “wow I’ve been using this a lot” than anything else.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I haven’t played Minecraft since fire got nerfed to not burn forever and mine cart physics let you launch them faaaaar across the world

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

ElHuevoGrande posted:

Dropping $800 for flights to the girlfriend's family in bumblefuck PA for thanksgiving is real great. Fun events include being referred to as her "roommate" by extended family after five years, and her deep closeted cousin trying to crawl out of his skin after making eye contact. Also being extra careful not to touch her when we leave the house so as to not trigger random chuds. I would pay many more cash dollars to make thanksgiving not a thing because this poo poo is exhausting.

my partner and i just plain quit going to family holidays, it's not worth the stress. our families aren't even that far away (we're in Chicago and they're in SE Wisconsin) but it's been a lot better just visiting our local friends instead.

iospace posted:

How much does it cost to have your facial hair lasered off? Asking for a friend.

mine is $150 a visit and i'm probably looking at a dozen visits more or less

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

is anyone working for the us government as a trans person and can talk to culture and insurance? a recruiter from the GSA TTS emailed me and i’m kinda tempted to get the hell out of the profit-driven tech world

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

sent the email, I’m officially out at work :toot:

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

minivanmegafun posted:

can i e/n about how much of a mess my relationship has been since i started hrt in here

i should probably condense it because what I wrote is 4 pages long

so a few months passed...

we're done. it's an amicable breakup, and we're going to take our time untangling things, and still deeply love each other, but we're just not fitting together anymore. we've been on a downhill slide for the past 2 years. therapy has helped us communicate better but also uncovered that we were both ignoring what we really need.

i don't know if i'll ever be able to express how much gratitude I have for their support as i transitioned, and how much their own gender-non-conformity helped me figure out my own poo poo, finally.

for some reason i never expected him to not be happy being in a relationship with anyone other than a cis guy, but he has always considered himself as a strictly gay male. and i can't change that.

i'm very confident we'll continue to be close friends.

we're both understandably very, very sad. but i think we'll both end up out of this better off.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

i am not looking forward to when i need to switch to electrolysis to knock out the grey facial hairs i have. i’ve been tolerating the pain of laser surprisingly well so far though

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

an online acquaintance of mine is coming to Chicago for a convention in a couple weeks and they’re so uncomfortable with the idea of the TSA that they’re opting to fly from Ottawa to Windsor and then drive the rest of the way.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

yeah I don’t blame them either. I am not looking forward to my first trip through airport security after starting hrt but i have at least two work related trips coming up in 2020.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

AJJ really is great, I think I’ve seen them more times live than anyone else.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

someone on workslack abbreviated "orchestrator" as "orch" and I responded with "uh... please don't abbreviate it to that. i'll let you look up why on your own."

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

i submitted notice today, should i filter all my PR comments through uwuizer until my last day

quote:

this is a comment, not a docstring. thewu docstring shourd exprain whawt this function does. uwu

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

divorcing myself from the cis male gay community is one of the best things i ever did for my mental health

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

jeez sniffies is like old Craigslist with a grindr style interface thrown on

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

also if you’re on the fence for surgery you may as well get scheduled for a consult now and cancel it if you change your mind. I scheduled an FFS consult in April and it’s not until September, I scheduled a top surgery consult in March and it’s also in March! of next year.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I still keep finding stuff like 2 years later, I found my United Airlines account was still the wrong info and it took like three tries to get my name and my gender marker all corrected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

had a consult for BA today

it was trans day at that plastic surgery office I guess, I’ve never seen that many trans people in the same place outside of a furry con