Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Picture dump. No one documents this sort of stuff. I guess interior shops don't want to give away the secrets, and people who DIY aren't keen on photos, ersumpthin.

Foam cut to fit airbag cutout

Foam sculpted, plus seat lever for 2-dr models filled

Seat bottom repair (I glued new foam into the missing areas, and the split foam back together with Scotch 77 spray adhesive)

Seat bottom reinstalled (bonuscat)

Upper foam glued and reinforced with fabric

Installed

Cat-tax, happened about 20 seconds after we were done

What I've done is rebuild and reinforce the driver's side old foam both upper and lower, and install it on the passenger's side seat frame. The damaged bolster cover is now on the inside of the seat, and there's no airbag to potentially go off. The airbag hole has been filled with foam. The airbag leather patches have also been seam-ripped off. The fabric that we used is a 2-way stretch, so it doesn't make the bolsters too much harder, just stiffens the surface of the foam and distributes the load so the foam doesn't split anymore.

The current plan is to thoroughly clean the inside of the car, since it has zero seats in it, then reinstall the old beat MK3 driver's seat so I can drive it again. I'll work up a bracket for the MK4 seat on the passenger's side, and test fit everything there. If it's good, I'll make one for the driver's side. The rears should be pretty easy if I can get access to a MK4 JY car so I can cut the brackets out for the seatbacks, plus the pivot brackets for the seatbase. I can always throw in the old back seat if I need it for some reason.

I may also machine some new wheels out of Acetal instead of using the MK4 wheels that I ground down, and some AL spacers to set the wheel-wheel distance correctly. All of that should firm up the mounting so it's better than the MK3 system, which uses nylon sliders and sloppy metalwork.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Nice work. I'm always amazed at the upholstery work those guys do on the stupid car reality shows. Looks like black magic to me.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

shy boy from chess club posted:

Nice work. I'm always amazed at the upholstery work those guys do on the stupid car reality shows. Looks like black magic to me.

Dude, Ish from WCC could have his own show. Interiors by Ish. He's on his own now, which is good.

If anyone is a pro, I keep hearing about thehogring.com being a good forum, but it's private. You have to provide employment info to be a member.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
With the impending storm, I cleared out the garage and fit the Jetta in. She'll be warm and dry until things thaw out. It started at 7°F today without any real trouble.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
So... I'm of course getting a bit ahead of myself here, but what's everyone's opinions of Slipstreams on the Jetta? The Kosei's on it now are only 14's, and I'd like to go 15 or 16. I've always like a clean 5-spoke design, but there isn't much in that design that's available in 15 or 16, and 4x100. Brock B1's, of Borbet Type E's or A's are an option, but $$$. There are a bunch of nice looking Mini stock wheels, but I'd have to have the hubs bored out to fit VW size (57.1mm) poo poo, even the Chevy Cobalt had 16" 5-spoke wheels that are 4x100.

However, I really liked the 15" Slipstreams that I ran on my Fit years ago, and now I'm kicking myself for selling them. If I can get a set for reasonable money, I'm thinking about replacing the Kosei's with them. Thoughts?
Inspiration, found randomly on the Vortex, these are 15's:

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 8, 2018

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

I think those wheels look fantastic on that car, good pattern with just the right amount of rubber.

Is there a specific weight or density you should use for different parts of a seat? Can you just go to whatever store, buy some generic foam and cut to fit?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I like the quad round lights.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

stevobob posted:

I think those wheels look fantastic on that car, good pattern with just the right amount of rubber.

Is there a specific weight or density you should use for different parts of a seat? Can you just go to whatever store, buy some generic foam and cut to fit?
You should be using upholstery foam of similar density. Some craft stores carry it, some don't. This was going in non load-bearing sections of the seat, so it's similar density polyurethane foam from a Pelican case.

And I agree. 16's might be too big. Those are Azenis, too, which show a lot of rubber. Similar on my Fit:

CommieGIR posted:

I like the quad round lights.
I've always loved that front end on the Golf. A good friend had the single-round lights in the grille, and the dual-rounds in the headlights of his MK3 Golf. It looked awesome, IMHO:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1409836-Here-s-where-people-will-stop-liking-my-car
Note the thread title...

HNNNNGGgggg

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 8, 2018

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

sharkytm posted:

You should be using upholstery foam of similar density. Some craft stores carry it, some don't. This was going in non load-bearing sections of the seat, so it's similar density polyurethane foam from a Pelican case.

And I agree. 16's might be too big. Those are Azenis, too, which show a lot of rubber. Similar on my Fit:

I've always loved that front end on the Golf. A good friend had the single-round lights in the grille, and the dual-rounds in the headlights of his MK3 Golf. It looked awesome, IMHO:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1409836-Here-s-where-people-will-stop-liking-my-car
Note the thread title...

HNNNNGGgggg

I should do that to my Mk 3

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

sharkytm posted:

poo poo, even the Chevy Cobalt had 16" 5-spoke wheels that are 4x100.

That's what I have on my car (which is basically a Cobalt in drag - Saturn Ion - same wheels with a different center cap). 56.6 center bore.

They bend way too easy for an alloy wheel, FYI. They're also meant for tapered lugs, not wheel bolts. I think the center bore is the same, though.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

That's what I have on my car (which is basically a Cobalt in drag - Saturn Ion - same wheels with a different center cap). 56.6 center bore.

They bend way too easy for an alloy wheel, FYI. They're also meant for tapered lugs, not wheel bolts. I think the center bore is the same, though.

Good to know. I ran my Slips for about 2 summers and never had a problem. That center bore is way small for VW anyhow. I've run wheels meant for lugs with bolts and vice-versa. My wife's Fit has VW Snowflakes with General Arctic Altimaxes on it for the winter.

It finally warmed up, so I adjusted the sunroof height to reduce the highway noise, put on some TDIClub plate frames, a couple of stickers, and ordered a Momo steering wheel hub. I still need to get an inspection. 41mpg on the last tank, which isn't bad. The foam is blowing out of the vents, so I have replacing that to look forward to... :sigh:

The power steering is still leaking, or maybe the last of the leak is just dripping out. I should have known to throw a piece of cardboard down before parking it in the garage for 2 weeks+. I'll deal with the stain sooner rather than later.

I also changed the oil on my wife's Fit. 180K miles, and still doesn't burn or leak anything. Amazing how far things have come on well-designed modern cars.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

sharkytm posted:

I also changed the oil on my wife's Fit. 180K miles, and still doesn't burn or leak anything. Amazing how far things have come on well-designed modern cars.

Our CR-V is at 115k and it's developed a leak sometime in the last...2+ years? that only makes itself known by getting the very bottom of the engine and transmission a bit grimy. Not even enough to drip, and no fluid level is going down.

Hell, for all I can tell it might just be ATF that spills onto the undertray whenever I pull the drain plug, getting blown back up while driving. It's boring as gently caress, but at least one boring reliable car leaves more time for the fun ones.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Even my crapbox Saturn didn't develop any leaks until last fall, around 185k.

Decently bad one, but not as bad as I thought... at first I thought it'd blown out the crank seals, but after powerwashing the engine, it seems like it's all coming from the oil pan gasket. Used to add 1 qt between 9k oil changes, it's gone up to 2 qts. It has drat near 200k on it though. It's bad enough that my parking space and the front subframe won't be rusting anytime soon, but enough of a PITA to change that I'll just keep topping it off.

Even the crap cars are pretty good these days (except for Mitsubishi's Mirage). Still no smoke from it, and it's needed no major work so far.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 11, 2018

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
No real updates, but I picked up a mk3 fog light harness and relay so I can make the fogs work without cutting the harness.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I've gotten a CEL for the MAF twice in the past week, time to get the cover off and make sure the wiring isn't damaged. :sigh:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Finally got the fog lights installed and working in the front. Someone :cough: kind of hacked up the turn signal/front wiring to retrofit the nicer lamps. I swapped in a new harness and cut and glue-lined butt spliced the wiring, installed the fog relay, and everything works. Pictures at some point.

My hands look like I lost a fist fight with a string trimmer, however.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 1, 2018

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Ooohhh yea, dammit. I forgot I did that and meant to go back and fix it when I did the fog lights. If I had thought of it I never would have let anyone see that. I even had the right parts but they were upstairs in the garage and I didnt feel like looking for them that day. I hope you didnt take any pictures, haha.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I just cut and crimped the turn signal connectors onto the existing wiring, and capped off the unused marker light wire. Eventually, I'd like to put an LED marker light in, but that's a long ways off.

And no pictures... yet. ;)

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
You on telegram anymore? Wanted to check in, you weather the storm ok?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I check once in a while. Too many chat programs...

We weathered fine, never lost power. No cell or internet for a couple of days, but that was actually kinda nice. Got some reading done instead.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Glad you made it through ok. Thought you would, but wanted to make sure you didn’t need saving. We need more Tdi adventures. :D

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Glad you made it through ok. Thought you would, but wanted to make sure you didn’t need saving. We need more Tdi adventures. :D

LOL, my hero.

I've got a generator and 20 gallons of fuel, 3 chainsaws, plus a gas stove, and a wood stove insert. We can weather just about anything. :v:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

sharkytm posted:

I just cut and crimped the turn signal connectors onto the existing wiring, and capped off the unused marker light wire. Eventually, I'd like to put an LED marker light in, but that's a long ways off.

And no pictures... yet. ;)

Ah man the whole reason I depinned then made the tape connectors was to avoid cutting into the wiring. If I had known I would have dug out the connectors for you. Well that and I didnt have the waterproof crimps so if you did it that way Ill feel better.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Welp, I was driving home on Friday, and got a beep from the dash. Oil light turns on for a second, then goes out. Ten seconds later, same thing. No change in engine running, I was doing about 2500 RPM. I know there's two oil pressure switches, one for idle and one for higher RPMs. It does it one more time, then not again for the rest of the trip. Oil level is fine. Thoughts?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Probably a wonky sender or wiring, though I'd be tempted to set up an actual gauge to validate against.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago. The wire broke at the end of the connector for the oil pressure sender and was just barely making contact.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Cool, I'll pull it apart sometime soon and check. I still don't have an inspection, so I'm not driving it much. Once things warm up, I hope to make more progress.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Yea I bet its wiring, these cars are getting old. I bought a new crank sensor for my 95 GTI and it turned out to be just some corrosion in the connector. I should have known since occasionally the engine would cut out for like a second when I hit bumps leading up to a no start one day. Missed Fixxfest cause of that too :/

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Sharky: I picked up an 11mm IP from an ALH if you want some power boost.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

CommieGIR posted:

Sharky: I picked up an 11mm IP from an ALH if you want some power boost.

Shoot me an email, username at Gmail.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Tightened up one of the oil pressure sensor spade terminals, no more light or beeping. Small victory.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Still driving the Jetta occasionally, but I went from doing my own thing to basically full time contractor at my old job. This happens every time I buy a project. Not complaining, I needed the work. Just a reminder kids, never burn a bridge.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
In the past month, I've gone from full time at my old job as a contractor to full time there and full time on my business with several large orders, plus part time fill in for my previous previous company. Sleep is not a thing I do anymore.

Jetta plans are on hold for now.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 14, 2018

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

So does all the work mean money for future upgrades? When I'm out working constantly it gives me time to think about how it will be spent on projects. Makes the day go by faster.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

sharkytm posted:

In the past month, I've gone from full time at my old job as a contractor to full time there and full time on my business with several large orders, plus part time fill in for my previous previous company. Sleep is not a thing I do anymore.

Jetta plans are on hold for now.

I'm in the same boat. Current client is 9 to 5, butts in seats, and I won't miss working there. Don't have time for anything :(

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

CommieGIR posted:

I'm in the same boat. Current client is 9 to 5, butts in seats, and I won't miss working there. Don't have time for anything :(

shy boy from chess club posted:

So does all the work mean money for future upgrades? When I'm out working constantly it gives me time to think about how it will be spent on projects. Makes the day go by faster.
Yeah. More money and increasing chance of buying another piece of property to build a garage on. I'm just thankful for the work, last year was really slow, and my company actually posted a loss.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Into July we boldly go... busy as all gently caress. No complaints, but the Jetta is looking sad, sitting in my garage. The sunroof leaks badly enough that I can't leave it out in the weather. I still drive it once a week or so, and the money I'm making will hopefully go into it soon enough.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
And September rolls around. I'm wheel shopping, and a buddy has a parts Jetta that's getting cut up in November, so I'll be harvesting some parts. He also has a Euro rad support, ECodes, and Eurobumper available if I want them. The parts car even has a fully-functioning sunroof, so I should be on my way to rehabbing that.

Work continues to kick my rear end, but I'll take those problems over the alternative.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

What are you looking at for wheels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Rota slips or something similar. I'm a 5-spoke guy. Check the wheels thread.

Open to other options, though.