Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Advent Horizon posted:

Now that the sedan is gone I guess it’s time to get something more practical for a family.

Ural w/ sidecar, perhaps? DIY Miata hatchback maybe?

Ooh, maybe a figure-8 track school bus!

Chevy Bolt is much more likely.
Need to sell both Fits, too.

I'm entering the boring phase of mid-life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

sharkytm posted:

I'm entering the boring phase of mid-life.

Little Tikes Tuggy, then:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXHAOT52nkE

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Took my wife for a ride over lunch, she loves the thing!
Then it started getting really slow, hit a gas station and filled the tank, now it's fast again. I'm really glad I already know what's going on and have the part to fix it, holy poo poo. Your investigation into that issue did not look fun.
I'll throw in the new fuel sender and she'll be mint. Really liking the car, it's super comfortable just cruising on the highway, etc.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

One step ahead of you, already got them a tugboat (actually given to me by a friend who is a legit tug captain): https://www.greentoys.com/products/tugboat

chrisgt posted:

Took my wife for a ride over lunch, she loves the thing!
Then it started getting really slow, hit a gas station and filled the tank, now it's fast again. I'm really glad I already know what's going on and have the part to fix it, holy poo poo. Your investigation into that issue did not look fun.
I'll throw in the new fuel sender and she'll be mint. Really liking the car, it's super comfortable just cruising on the highway, etc.

Glad she likes it. Mine hated it, :lol:.

Interesting that that issue is back, but yeah, there's a new sender/inlet in the parts box. I think I've got some other stuff buried in the loft, I'll get it to you when I find it.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

sharkytm posted:

Glad she likes it. Mine hated it, :lol:.

Interesting that that issue is back, but yeah, there's a new sender/inlet in the parts box. I think I've got some other stuff buried in the loft, I'll get it to you when I find it.

I'm in one of those soul sucking meetings with management, so I went out and put the new sending unit in. There is a lot of rust on the old one, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a pinhole somewhere in the pickup tube.
I'll have to drive it back down under half a tank again, but I suspect the problem is gone for good.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

chrisgt posted:

I'm in one of those soul sucking meetings with management, so I went out and put the new sending unit in. There is a lot of rust on the old one, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a pinhole somewhere in the pickup tube.
I'll have to drive it back down under half a tank again, but I suspect the problem is gone for good.

Find any acorns? When I first took it out, the top of the tank was packed with them. loving chipmunks.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

sharkytm posted:

Find any acorns? When I first took it out, the top of the tank was packed with them. loving chipmunks.

There were some, not many. Likely just the acorns that fell down since you had it apart last. Blew it out with the air hose so i didn't get poo poo down the tank.
Also I just noticed that the radio has one of the motorized LCDs. Between that and the 14" racing wheels with the dual valve stems, I feel like it's 2009 and I just won $2000 on a scratch ticket.
I'm clearly touched, because the majority of my cars are 80's and 90's. One of my favourite eras for foreign cars.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I figured out why it had the issue below half tank.
I'm in another one of these boring managerial meetings, so I went to take apart the old fuel sender assembly. I pulled the bottom end cap off so I can pressure test the feed tube, what I found is a big leak past the o-ring, disassembled view here:

That stock brown o-ring was a little bit hard, but it seems to have expanded and wasn't clamping down over the steel tube, so it was allowing a pretty big leak. There was also just a bit of rust around the o-ring seat, so I cleaned that up with some scotchbright.

I replaced the o-ring with an HNBR o-ring out of my index for doing AC systems and put it back together, now it holds pressure and vacuum without an issue.

I also separately checked to make sure there were no leaks in the steel tube or the plastic tube from the bottom of the strainer thing, and both of those checked out fine.

There was also a lot of grime inside the bottom of the pickup, that may have been slightly restricting flow which could have made the situation worse where it was sucking air around the o-ring, down the plastic tube and up into the metal pickup. I have no idea why they didn't just make the metal tube long enough to reach to the bottom... Literally makes no sense.

I'm not going to bother putting it back in, but it's a great spare and I'm confident it's fixed. On the shelf it goes.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Yeah, I never replaced the O-ring, but it doesn't surprise me that it's hard as a rock. Simple fix, even if it's for a spare. Keep it around, they aren't a common part.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

The lower quality adjuster seal on the injection pump was starting to have a rather voracious leak, so I went ahead and replaced that. Pump now seems dry, I don't think (hope it isn't) leaking at the head, that one isn't fun to replace. I've done them on other VE pumps.
It's still weird to use a laptop when working on a diesel, I'm used to drip tubes, dial indicators, etc...

EDIT: I've also put in the whole new interior, cleaned everything, armoralled everything, it's looking really nice.
It needs a good proper wash, but I'm really enjoying the car, it's a lot of fun to drive.

Oh also, I found a wrench with a 10mm socket under the carpet. I think I win the internet.

chrisgt fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 1, 2021

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

chrisgt posted:

The lower quality adjuster seal on the injection pump was starting to have a rather voracious leak, so I went ahead and replaced that. Pump now seems dry, I don't think (hope it isn't) leaking at the head, that one isn't fun to replace. I've done them on other VE pumps.
It's still weird to use a laptop when working on a diesel, I'm used to drip tubes, dial indicators, etc...

EDIT: I've also put in the whole new interior, cleaned everything, armoralled everything, it's looking really nice.
It needs a good proper wash, but I'm really enjoying the car, it's a lot of fun to drive.

Oh also, I found a wrench with a 10mm socket under the carpet. I think I win the internet.

Are you going to do a thread so I can follow and really regret selling that car? Also I want my 10mm back, dick. Though it could be mine, sharkys or other Chris's. I think a thunderdome type challenge is the way to go on that one though.

If that pump is leaking don't bother resealing it just get an 11mm for it. Just need to swap the connector, pulley and machine the bracket to swap it. The pump that's on there came off my donor car that had 285k on it so it's haggard. A decent low mileage 11 can be had for relatively cheap these days. Enough so I'm stashing spares since some parts are NLA for these pumps. Best thing to do is get one and have Giles so through it. Just getting rid of that worn pump add at least 63% to the fun to driveness. Save up for a clutch too.

Also I know it's a cheap Chinese turbo but I'll be taking mine off the 8V pretty soon. It's a direct bolt on. I had it balanced so it should be ok, just make sure to run an intercooler to act as a turbo chunks filter if it does go. With those nozzles, an 11mm pump, that turbo and a tune from Jeff to make it work together it will be a serious ripper. Especially if you upgrade to a decent turbo next.

I don't know if you had planned on keeping it pretty stock but that's an idea that doesn't usually last that long and is literally why I had to sell it cause it was going to get out of hand, like it should. You have plenty of daily drivers so no excuses.

I kinda want that car back enough that selling the C10 had crossed my mind. I really miss having a Mk3 and especially a clean one.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I went and put in some elbow grease, I think I can do better, but it came out pretty well for a first pass.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Holy poo poo you turned into Maine Paul Bunyan :lol:

Nice work, that paint cleaned up well.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

shy boy from chess club posted:

Are you going to do a thread so I can follow and really regret selling that car? Also I want my 10mm back, dick. Though it could be mine, sharkys or other Chris's. I think a thunderdome type challenge is the way to go on that one though.

If that pump is leaking don't bother resealing it just get an 11mm for it. Just need to swap the connector, pulley and machine the bracket to swap it. The pump that's on there came off my donor car that had 285k on it so it's haggard. A decent low mileage 11 can be had for relatively cheap these days. Enough so I'm stashing spares since some parts are NLA for these pumps. Best thing to do is get one and have Giles so through it. Just getting rid of that worn pump add at least 63% to the fun to driveness. Save up for a clutch too.

Also I know it's a cheap Chinese turbo but I'll be taking mine off the 8V pretty soon. It's a direct bolt on. I had it balanced so it should be ok, just make sure to run an intercooler to act as a turbo chunks filter if it does go. With those nozzles, an 11mm pump, that turbo and a tune from Jeff to make it work together it will be a serious ripper. Especially if you upgrade to a decent turbo next.

I don't know if you had planned on keeping it pretty stock but that's an idea that doesn't usually last that long and is literally why I had to sell it cause it was going to get out of hand, like it should. You have plenty of daily drivers so no excuses.

I kinda want that car back enough that selling the C10 had crossed my mind. I really miss having a Mk3 and especially a clean one.

For now, i'm just enjoying driving it around. I'm going to leave it as-is for the summer, just do whatever maintenance it needs. I'm trying to buy a house (sorry kastein, not that house), but if I have time this winter I'll definitely give it a new clutch at the bare minimum. I turned the fuel back up and HOLY SHITBALLS, it rips rear end first through third. Put the fueling back where it was to keep the clutch happy in 4th and 5th...
I resealed the two top covers in the pump because the leak went from a dribble to a deluge, it was leaking more fuel than it was burning. The top seals take 15 minutes to change anyway, nbd.
The biturbo is still faster, but I think this has the potential to blow its doors off with a clutch and some more work....

kastein posted:

Holy poo poo you turned into Maine Paul Bunyan :lol:

Nice work, that paint cleaned up well.
yes.
The car has been resprayed at some point and the paint is kind of meh, but black cars that are all dirty make me sad. It's a lot better now.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

chrisgt posted:

For now, i'm just enjoying driving it around. I'm going to leave it as-is for the summer, just do whatever maintenance it needs. I'm trying to buy a house (sorry kastein, not that house), but if I have time this winter I'll definitely give it a new clutch at the bare minimum. I turned the fuel back up and HOLY SHITBALLS, it rips rear end first through third. Put the fueling back where it was to keep the clutch happy in 4th and 5th...

yes.
The car has been resprayed at some point and the paint is kind of meh, but black cars that are all dirty make me sad. It's a lot better now.

LOL. Yeah... I turned it down to save the clutch with the bonus of not ending up in jail or dead. I'm glad you got to experience it. South Bend it.

It needs paint. I should have given you the metal flake grey that I have. Sorry the pump was leaking, that's a recent issue. And yeah, Tim's right, put an 11mm pump on it. And a GT2052. And 11" wide slicks.

The 10mm isn't mine.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

sharkytm posted:

LOL. Yeah... I turned it down to save the clutch with the bonus of not ending up in jail or dead. I'm glad you got to experience it. South Bend it.

It needs paint. I should have given you the metal flake grey that I have. Sorry the pump was leaking, that's a recent issue. And yeah, Tim's right, put an 11mm pump on it. And a GT2052. And 11" wide slicks.

The 10mm isn't mine.

Replacing the seal was SO MUCH EASIER than a mechanically governed VE pump, just go into vagcom and tap the QA until the IQ was where it was previously. Although I've done enough IP work on old boats and stuff I got it put back together within 0.4 mg/str of where it was previously. I'm good at getting things marked and back together exactly the same... Also, the pump head doesn't seem to be leaking, so I'm real happy about that.
Can you put in an 11mm pump without a tune? Or does it absolutely have to be retuned when that swap is done. This pump eventually is going to need a replacement, so there's no reason NOT to upgrade.
The clutch works for now, but yea, if it starts to slip or I have time this winter, south bend is going in. For now, I'm happy just driving the thing everywhere I need to go and enjoying it.

So far I've driven it about 300 miles since buying it (on my sketchy temp tags that I got from a different state I printed out...). Such a nice car to just ride around in. Took a longer trip this weekend for some hiking, my wife really like riding in the car. It's comfortable, quiet, goes good, etc. I really want to get another rusty one (redundant) as a winter driver... and into the abyss I go.

Oh also, I was looking under the car and found that it has a torn steering rack boot. Rockauto lists two different rack boots: TRW design and ZF Rack design, how do I tell what I have?.
From the pictures, it looks like the TRW boots have fewer, bigger bellows, and the ZF boots have more, closer together bellows in the boot. Is that a fine way to ID what I have? It seems like the 3 or 4 different brands on RA follow that pattern.

chrisgt fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 2, 2021

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Don't need a tune for three 11mm but it isn't bolt in. Have to enbiggen the hole where it goes through the bracket and the inner timing cover. You'll also need the pulley from an ALH, really cheap on TDIClub. I got mine for like $20. Adjusting the timing will be a different procedure using slots in the pulley rather than moving the entire pump. Get the reusable pulley bolts from idparts, again really cheap. You'll also have to swap the connector from the mk3 pump onto to the 11mm, easy with a depin tool. Save the ALH connector for when you upgrade to a EDC15 someday. The ecu in there is already socketed but burning a new chip for every tune sucks. Flashing through the obd port is where it's at.

You don't have to get a tune for the 11mm but it will probably be smokey until you do and then will also get all the benefits from it. The more fuel you can inject in the short window of optimum timing the more power it's going to make. Seconding getting a gt2052. That's what I have an having ridden in one it's unreal. It blew the multiple 17/22 (nla anyway unless you can find a used one) setups I've experienced out of the water. This is all ancient info too, I'm sure there's ridiculous stuff out there now but my experience ends around the early-mid '10s.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Not sure why it took me this long to notice... but the radiator fans don't work. Tracked it down to a bad thermal switch in the radiator. Annoying that I have to drain some coolant, but nice that it's a $15 repair and nothing major.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Don't need a tune for three 11mm but it isn't bolt in. Have to enbiggen the hole where it goes through the bracket and the inner timing cover. You'll also need the pulley from an ALH, really cheap on TDIClub. I got mine for like $20. Adjusting the timing will be a different procedure using slots in the pulley rather than moving the entire pump. Get the reusable pulley bolts from idparts, again really cheap. You'll also have to swap the connector from the mk3 pump onto to the 11mm, easy with a depin tool. Save the ALH connector for when you upgrade to a EDC15 someday. The ecu in there is already socketed but burning a new chip for every tune sucks. Flashing through the obd port is where it's at.

You don't have to get a tune for the 11mm but it will probably be smokey until you do and then will also get all the benefits from it. The more fuel you can inject in the short window of optimum timing the more power it's going to make. Seconding getting a gt2052. That's what I have an having ridden in one it's unreal. It blew the multiple 17/22 (nla anyway unless you can find a used one) setups I've experienced out of the water. This is all ancient info too, I'm sure there's ridiculous stuff out there now but my experience ends around the early-mid '10s.

It can cause the engine to go into limp mode, I had it happen a couple times on my Mk3 TDI with the 11mm. Really only worth it if you also upgrade the injectors to a nice set of Bosios

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It's got Bosio DLC 1019s in it

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I posted a thread on tdiclub, but shy boy from chess club or CommieGIR, you may know the answer as well.
https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/incorrect-temperature-readings.514922/

I know it used to work right because I was watching the coolant temp to get the engine fully warmed up before setting my IQ after putting new seals in the pump.
Now my coolant temp sensor is giving me garbage, what I don't know is if this behavior indicates a bad sensor, or if it's a wiring problem.
When I unplug the sensor, I would expect some constant negative reading or something like that, what I get is a value that wanders around (see details in above thread).
You ever seen this before?

EDIT: It's been raining a lot so I looked to make sure no water got in the ECU, it's dry. Checked all the wiring between the sensor and the ECU, looks fine. I have no idea but a new sensor is really cheap fro idparts... I'll just put a new one in there and see what happens.

chrisgt fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 6, 2021

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I had to put a coolant temp sensor and MAF on the car, both were going wonky. The MAF had a cracked hotwire and the coolant sensor was full of coolant (but no wiring migration). Otherwise I really haven't done a lot besides just drive the car. I have put about 1500 miles on since buying it, I love every second of driving this thing. It's just a well engineered car that drives nice.

It obviously passed safety inspection without an issue, since it literally has none. The tires are juuuuust above the wear bars. I need to replace them.

Also, I got a good deal on some (kind of ricey) headlights that actually LIGHT UP THE drat ROAD. The stock lights leave something to be desired...

Excuse all the pollen, black cars in springtime are kind of sad.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Dude, those actually look good IMHO. Glad you're loving it. I kinda miss it, but I'm so happy it's in a good home.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

sharkytm posted:

Dude, those actually look good IMHO. Glad you're loving it. I kinda miss it, but I'm so happy it's in a good home.

Yea, I'm quite pleased with the lights. They have a nice sharp cutoff and the high beams are really bright.
Sot today, I was sitting in traffic on the interstate and the clutch started to engage kind of funny, felt like my last subaru whose pressure plate sorta gave up on life....
Next time I had a chance, I stood on it in 3rd gear and... badly slipping.
So while I have the transmission out, what else do I want to replace?
I'm going with the stage 2 daily driver south bend clutch and SBC flywheel.

I hear that maybe it's a good idea to put a new release fork in at the same time?

There's a rear main seal in the box of parts, so I'll put that in. I've done the RMS on the ABA engines a few times without problems, this looks like the same procedure.

The kit comes with new flywheel and pressure plate bolts as well as a throwout bearing, so I should be good there.

I sorta didn't feel like doing this job right now, but I'll be glad to have a nice new SBC, then I can turn the fuel back up :)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

chrisgt posted:

I posted a thread on tdiclub, but shy boy from chess club or CommieGIR, you may know the answer as well.
https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/incorrect-temperature-readings.514922/

I know it used to work right because I was watching the coolant temp to get the engine fully warmed up before setting my IQ after putting new seals in the pump.
Now my coolant temp sensor is giving me garbage, what I don't know is if this behavior indicates a bad sensor, or if it's a wiring problem.
When I unplug the sensor, I would expect some constant negative reading or something like that, what I get is a value that wanders around (see details in above thread).
You ever seen this before?

EDIT: It's been raining a lot so I looked to make sure no water got in the ECU, it's dry. Checked all the wiring between the sensor and the ECU, looks fine. I have no idea but a new sensor is really cheap fro idparts... I'll just put a new one in there and see what happens.

The connector on top should be the MFTS (Multi-Function Temperature Sensor), so it has the AC temp sensor and the gauge temp sensor, IIRC its a thermistor so if you have any wiring issues it can read odd.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

The connector on top should be the MFTS (Multi-Function Temperature Sensor), so it has the AC temp sensor and the gauge temp sensor, IIRC its a thermistor so if you have any wiring issues it can read odd.

It was the G62 sensor, goes to the gauge and the ECU, it was filling with coolant. The element for the gauge was at the top, so it was not wet, yet.

So I was pulling the car into the garage and idling around trying to get it up on the ramps in the right place to pull the transmission when I noticed a massive puddle of diesel on the floor... Last time I drove the car it DID smell kind of diesely. Pump head seal gone :|
I got the new o-ring in, then it was late. Will do the rest of reassembly today and hopefully it works and doesn't leak.
Also:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Man, I feel bad. Clutch and pump...

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

sharkytm posted:

Nah, don't feel bad. These issues were coming sooner than later, i'll fix it up and have it better than ever. I'm excited I can turn the fuel back up and start breaking axles or whatever :)

EDIT :frogc00l:

chrisgt fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 3, 2021

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

chrisgt posted:

Nah, don't feel bad. These issues were coming sooner than later, i'll fix it up and have it better than ever. I'm excited I can turn the fuel back up and start breaking axles or whatever :)

EDIT :frogc00l:

I'm sure you will, it's just bad timing.

That's gonna help. Raxles still the go-to?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

chrisgt posted:

It was the G62 sensor, goes to the gauge and the ECU, it was filling with coolant. The element for the gauge was at the top, so it was not wet, yet.

So I was pulling the car into the garage and idling around trying to get it up on the ramps in the right place to pull the transmission when I noticed a massive puddle of diesel on the floor... Last time I drove the car it DID smell kind of diesely. Pump head seal gone :|
I got the new o-ring in, then it was late. Will do the rest of reassembly today and hopefully it works and doesn't leak.
Also:

A nice way to do it for sure!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

sharkytm posted:

The clutch wasn't long for this world with the tune and nozzles, intake and such. Educated guess it's past 200ftlbs of torque at around 2k rpm. Also that pump is off my donor engine that had 285k on it so it was time for seals anyway.

I love the tape, I'm so glad you got that car. It just keeps getting better and better. With the SB clutch you'll finally be able to use all the power too, I floored it once right after I got the tune (Jeff wanted logs) and never did again because it slipped and I didn't want to kill it.

Do you have VCDS? You can switch to the smaller tune by coding it to an automatic though it seems to rev hang really bad when I tried it. I guess it's kinda too late now that you got the clutch anyway.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

The clutch wasn't long for this world with the tune and nozzles, intake and such. Educated guess it's past 200ftlbs of torque at around 2k rpm. Also that pump is off my donor engine that had 285k on it so it was time for seals anyway.

I love the tape, I'm so glad you got that car. It just keeps getting better and better. With the SB clutch you'll finally be able to use all the power too, I floored it once right after I got the tune (Jeff wanted logs) and never did again because it slipped and I didn't want to kill it.

Do you have VCDS? You can switch to the smaller tune by coding it to an automatic though it seems to rev hang really bad when I tried it. I guess it's kinda too late now that you got the clutch anyway.

I gave him my VCDS as part of the sale, but yeah, auto coding really blows.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

So I have to admit, that job really kicked my rear end. This is why I have avoided FWD cars, I just hate working on them. Anyway, I got to add a new sticker under the hood, so it's all worth it :)

I made it about half a mile from home and a thunderstorm started, so I had to turn around to go fix some things that didn't want to get wet. But man does it drive nice. The clutch engages right off the floor and it's buttery smooth. So glad to have that done and installed, can't wait to put more miles on it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Now turn the fuel up!

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

When I put the pump back together , i got it a bit further toward more fuel; accidental hammer mod.
I have more pictures and complaining about the job to post, but my desktop computer crashed the other day and I can't do anything useful on a tablet thing, and my other laptop is messed up. Maybe I'll fix that stuff one of these days.

Anyway, it drives great. i want to follow the break-in procedure and not beat on it too much before I go crazy, don't want to glaze the new setup out of the gate. Pain in the rear end job, but so totally worth it. If i ever had to do this again, it would take 1/3 the time...

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Did you have to take the passenger side flange off the trans to get it out? I forget what years need that but before I figured that out there was much, much anger trying to get the trans out trying every possible twist, jiggle and cuss word.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

chrisgt posted:

When I put the pump back together , i got it a bit further toward more fuel; accidental hammer mod.
I have more pictures and complaining about the job to post, but my desktop computer crashed the other day and I can't do anything useful on a tablet thing, and my other laptop is messed up. Maybe I'll fix that stuff one of these days.

Anyway, it drives great. i want to follow the break-in procedure and not beat on it too much before I go crazy, don't want to glaze the new setup out of the gate. Pain in the rear end job, but so totally worth it. If i ever had to do this again, it would take 1/3 the time...

That's actually where it was when I got it from Tim. I reset it back to "normal" to help and save the clutch.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Did you have to take the passenger side flange off the trans to get it out? I forget what years need that but before I figured that out there was much, much anger trying to get the trans out trying every possible twist, jiggle and cuss word.

I'm fairly certain that would have made the job easier, that stupid thing was right up in the flywheel's business. I ended up putting a chain to one of the bolts on the differential side of the transmission, lifting it up by the diff and dropping it out sideways.
I probably spend an hour-and-a-half getting the thing out. The whole time I was thinking "oh gently caress.... this is NOT going to go back in easy..."
Then it took me about 15 minutes from workbench to bolted-in.
That transmission is really light, I picked it up off the floor and threw it on my workbench with minimal effort.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

chrisgt posted:

That transmission is really light, I picked it up off the floor and threw it on my workbench with minimal effort.

Now you're a man, M-A-N man!
https://youtu.be/851BqHMCaeM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

No, it's probably the titties