Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Hell yes, another TDI owner! Mk3 Even!

I'm running a Mk3 Jetta with a ALH TDI, 11mm Injection Pump, Lift Pump added, 520 Bosio injector nozzles, aggressive timing, and and ARP headstuds.

I still average 48 Highway, 32 City.

Its wonderful. Mine has issues where it bogs too, and its the N75 valve, it thinks I'm overboosting because the Wastegate is stuck shut and the power profile doesn't match the stock tables of the ECU, so it puts it into a limp mode. You can clear it by turning the key on and off 3 times.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

SharkyTM is a Legit Dude with a Legit Truck and I like him and you should too.

Hey, I want an endorsement

I kid

maybe

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

Wait, they're wastegated? Not VNT? Weird.

The ALH is VNT, but in order to put it into a Mk3 you have to modify the rear engine mount and figure out a way to control the VNT, so I kept the stock turbo.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

Ah.

Either way, check your one-way valves on the N75 lines, when my mate's was being a dick, it was because the PO had fitted one the wrong way round.

No, the wastegate is actually stuck shut.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

Hah! Really? How have you managed that?

I didn't, I just found it stuck when I took it apart.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I had a weird incident with my TDI last night: Tried to accelerate and....it was like it dropped a valve. I freaked out, but the engine was still running, just on one cylinder. Pulled over, threw on hazards, and shutoff engine to verify timing belt.

Nothing was wrong. Cranked engine back up, this time two cylinders caught. Got it to my friends shop a block away, he was getting a loaner ready, and then I tried starting again. Fired on all cylinders, and drove it today.

All I can figure is I hit an air bubble and air-locked the injectors.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Oh yeah, that's a bad injector seal

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

sharkytm posted:

I put a socket on the retainer yoke, and it was just above finger tight. Torqued it to 20Nm, and it's 99% sealed. Just a few bubbles around the base of the injector now. The car's much quieter, turns out it was a compression leak, not an exhaust leak. It's gained some power, but still down compared to when I drove it in CT... Doing VCDS logging now.

Still no smoke at WOT either... Hmm.

I usually remove the copper washer and crush it flat again before resealing.

The ECU might still be in limp mode, cycle the key 3 times then try it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

sharkytm posted:

Made a TDIClub post: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=484527
We'll see what comes of that.

You know what's coming.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'd say pulling the pickup sounds hard, but keeping the tank full is easy!

I had to pull the pickup when I installed my in tank lift pump, its pretty easy like Sharky said.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I like the quad round lights.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

sharkytm posted:

You should be using upholstery foam of similar density. Some craft stores carry it, some don't. This was going in non load-bearing sections of the seat, so it's similar density polyurethane foam from a Pelican case.

And I agree. 16's might be too big. Those are Azenis, too, which show a lot of rubber. Similar on my Fit:

I've always loved that front end on the Golf. A good friend had the single-round lights in the grille, and the dual-rounds in the headlights of his MK3 Golf. It looked awesome, IMHO:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1409836-Here-s-where-people-will-stop-liking-my-car
Note the thread title...

HNNNNGGgggg

I should do that to my Mk 3

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago. The wire broke at the end of the connector for the oil pressure sender and was just barely making contact.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Sharky: I picked up an 11mm IP from an ALH if you want some power boost.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

sharkytm posted:

In the past month, I've gone from full time at my old job as a contractor to full time there and full time on my business with several large orders, plus part time fill in for my previous previous company. Sleep is not a thing I do anymore.

Jetta plans are on hold for now.

I'm in the same boat. Current client is 9 to 5, butts in seats, and I won't miss working there. Don't have time for anything :(

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I keep forgetting you did badass submarine camera stuff

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Truly jealous. Wish I had that much garage space to work with.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Ubiquiti Point to Point solutions are affordable and Enterprise grade.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

sharkytm posted:

Another month gone by. I've been spending quite a bit of time with my mother, who moved up here a few years ago to be closer to me and my wife. She's had Stage 4 metastatic breast cancer for several years, and has been working her way through the available treatments. We've finally gone to infusion chemo, after trying other alternatives. Cancer sucks.

Cancer does indeed suck. Give her our best.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

shy boy from chess club posted:

Don't need a tune for three 11mm but it isn't bolt in. Have to enbiggen the hole where it goes through the bracket and the inner timing cover. You'll also need the pulley from an ALH, really cheap on TDIClub. I got mine for like $20. Adjusting the timing will be a different procedure using slots in the pulley rather than moving the entire pump. Get the reusable pulley bolts from idparts, again really cheap. You'll also have to swap the connector from the mk3 pump onto to the 11mm, easy with a depin tool. Save the ALH connector for when you upgrade to a EDC15 someday. The ecu in there is already socketed but burning a new chip for every tune sucks. Flashing through the obd port is where it's at.

You don't have to get a tune for the 11mm but it will probably be smokey until you do and then will also get all the benefits from it. The more fuel you can inject in the short window of optimum timing the more power it's going to make. Seconding getting a gt2052. That's what I have an having ridden in one it's unreal. It blew the multiple 17/22 (nla anyway unless you can find a used one) setups I've experienced out of the water. This is all ancient info too, I'm sure there's ridiculous stuff out there now but my experience ends around the early-mid '10s.

It can cause the engine to go into limp mode, I had it happen a couple times on my Mk3 TDI with the 11mm. Really only worth it if you also upgrade the injectors to a nice set of Bosios

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

chrisgt posted:

I posted a thread on tdiclub, but shy boy from chess club or CommieGIR, you may know the answer as well.
https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/incorrect-temperature-readings.514922/

I know it used to work right because I was watching the coolant temp to get the engine fully warmed up before setting my IQ after putting new seals in the pump.
Now my coolant temp sensor is giving me garbage, what I don't know is if this behavior indicates a bad sensor, or if it's a wiring problem.
When I unplug the sensor, I would expect some constant negative reading or something like that, what I get is a value that wanders around (see details in above thread).
You ever seen this before?

EDIT: It's been raining a lot so I looked to make sure no water got in the ECU, it's dry. Checked all the wiring between the sensor and the ECU, looks fine. I have no idea but a new sensor is really cheap fro idparts... I'll just put a new one in there and see what happens.

The connector on top should be the MFTS (Multi-Function Temperature Sensor), so it has the AC temp sensor and the gauge temp sensor, IIRC its a thermistor so if you have any wiring issues it can read odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

chrisgt posted:

It was the G62 sensor, goes to the gauge and the ECU, it was filling with coolant. The element for the gauge was at the top, so it was not wet, yet.

So I was pulling the car into the garage and idling around trying to get it up on the ramps in the right place to pull the transmission when I noticed a massive puddle of diesel on the floor... Last time I drove the car it DID smell kind of diesely. Pump head seal gone :|
I got the new o-ring in, then it was late. Will do the rest of reassembly today and hopefully it works and doesn't leak.
Also:

A nice way to do it for sure!