Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Oh my god was that injector making the ticking noise I thought was the exhaust leak? I can't believe i never noticed the soot. I feel so bad that it broke after you left instead of here where I have all the tools and spare parts. Good deal on the unbroken clamshell, those things are gold.

There is no gasket for the manifold to turbo, weirdly, so it must be the one between the head and manifold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Yea I'm pretty sure it was 20# of boost but it's there for such a short amount of time. I never did any like long highway pulls in higher gears so 18 might be right.

I forgot about the sunroof, it only leaked on me in the drive through car wash and I meant to clear the drains but of course forgot .00005 seconds after leaving the car wash.

You got the sunroof to open all the way? What was it? I always just used to pop open feature so I never investigated it.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I wonder if resealing the pump would make a difference. Maybe that external leak becomes an air leak into the pump under high demand for fuel. The pickup should be easy to check, there is an access panel to the tank in the trunk right behind the back seat.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Yea I hammer modded it when I put the nozzles in.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

:f5:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I'm surprised you don't like the speakers I mean they aren't great but for stock I thought they weren't too bad. Heads up the left rear speaker wiring is shorted somewhere. I de-pinned the harness from that one because it would short out the amp. It's not the speaker itself because it does it with it disconnected.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Oh yea one more thing, putting ecodes in will be a pain. The brackets they sell don't even come close to making them fit the NA radiator support. You will have to do some cutting and grinding. I tried on my GTI and ended up just changing it to the euro radiator support since it wasn't going to be a clean install. And if you do that you'll have to disconnect the a.c. and have to replace the drier and refill it. After going through all of that I wouldn't do it again although it did look totally awesome with the smoked ecodes and euro bumper.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Airbag light still good? If they don't notice the cat you should be golden. That's so weird you get plates and everything before inspection. Back when we had it in CT cars would have to pass inspection before you got plates and registration.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Stupid double post

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

So happy you are doing the fluid film. Did you do anything with that crushed pinch weld on the driver side? I had planned on doing rust converter and some oil based enamel before it got any worse.

Did you bring it to Shnell? Best shop in town and if there is anything important you or I have overlooked he will find it. I'm so glad that car is in good hands. A clean MK3 TDI is hard to come by anymore.

Fuel expense wise I regret selling it now. Dave's last tank was 16.7mpg, it's so unbelievably bad on gas like drat.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Yea he sent me the pictures of the floor pans had no idea there was that much. He said it looked like someone drove over something off road. There wasn't holes were there, just surface rust?

Where did you find the stuff to rebuild the shifter? B&M used to make a short shifter for those and I had it and it was great but NLA. Kept checking ebay but no dice. If you can find it it's worth it.

The MK4 seats will be far superior. Those seats were not good for long trips. Too flat like a Honda. Made my rear end numb after an hour or so.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Oh yea that's what I'm doing to mine. I got the tower, cables and shifter off tdiclub for 200 bucks. They come up every once in a while for around that if you don't want to mess with pulling the cables which can be kind of a pain in the dick. The box and tower are easy.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Yea I kept meaning to turn the fuel down, I had the IQ way up and it was causing some slow down shudder so that should have gone away too. After getting the tune initially I never really got on it anymore so the clutch wouldnt slip anyway.

Is it outside? How is it starting in this weather? It always started on like one crank so I imagine it should be good. One thing I meant to mention is that huge fuse on the driver side firewall with the plastic cover? Thats the one for the glow plugs. If you think of it take that out and clean up the connections, it can melt if there is a lot of resistance there. It was on my list but it was never cold enough to think of it when I had it.

Here are the pictures he sent me:

I only saw them on my phone before but yea looks like a bunch of surface rust. I feel wicked bad, I didnt know any of that was there but the only time I was under was putting the exhaust on and I was sweaty and mad that it wasnt fitting and my lack of having a lift.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Wouldn't it be the cleanest to weld the MK3 slider to the MK4? Gonna check out the vortex link right now.

Yea it's stupid cold and I had to drive to NJ via NYC yesterday in the snow and new years traffic. What a nightmare. Is it spring yet?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Looks like you'd want to do "version 4" from that link since you are tall. That was the lowest version they were saying. I know I was having trouble with my head hitting the roof on the passenger side with the stock seats so you are gonna want to go as low as possible.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Nice work. I'm always amazed at the upholstery work those guys do on the stupid car reality shows. Looks like black magic to me.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Ooohhh yea, dammit. I forgot I did that and meant to go back and fix it when I did the fog lights. If I had thought of it I never would have let anyone see that. I even had the right parts but they were upstairs in the garage and I didnt feel like looking for them that day. I hope you didnt take any pictures, haha.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

sharkytm posted:

I just cut and crimped the turn signal connectors onto the existing wiring, and capped off the unused marker light wire. Eventually, I'd like to put an LED marker light in, but that's a long ways off.

And no pictures... yet. ;)

Ah man the whole reason I depinned then made the tape connectors was to avoid cutting into the wiring. If I had known I would have dug out the connectors for you. Well that and I didnt have the waterproof crimps so if you did it that way Ill feel better.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Yea I bet its wiring, these cars are getting old. I bought a new crank sensor for my 95 GTI and it turned out to be just some corrosion in the connector. I should have known since occasionally the engine would cut out for like a second when I hit bumps leading up to a no start one day. Missed Fixxfest cause of that too :/

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

So does all the work mean money for future upgrades? When I'm out working constantly it gives me time to think about how it will be spent on projects. Makes the day go by faster.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

What are you looking at for wheels?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

That car hates to keep coolant inside it. The day before I drove it to Braintree for the gtg and tune I was doing a pre road trip poking around under the hood and the upper radiator hose just came apart in my hand. Excellent timing rather than doing it on 495 somewhere, though.

I think someone makes a metal replacement for that outlet.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I kinda regret selling that, I really miss it. The torque is just incredible and fun. So glad it went to the best home it could have though.

However, it did help me cross off almost everything on the list I need for the dieselfication of the Rocco.

Still thinking about those wheels you showed me?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

You got K2 seats? Nice! I just recently got my first can of fluid film and I remember you saying how much it stunk burning off the exhaust and now I know how bad that must have been. That stuff reeks but worth it.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

New shop looks great, congrats dude! The work you do looks like so much fun. That rules you have stuff on Alvin. I was way into the Titanic as a kid, way before the movie, haha, so that's extremely impressive to me. I don't think you told me about that previously. That's cool as hell.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

How's the outlook on time to work on the Jetta? I'm getting close to digging into my AHU and doing naughty things to it if you needed some inspiration though it sounds like time is the one you really need

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

sharkytm posted:

It's motivation more than anything. I've actually got the time and money. I don't like working on cars alone, as I've come to realize. I dunno. I'm preserving the car at the least.

poo poo get Guthrie over there, that dude has insane amounts of motivation. I don't think he even sleeps, ever

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Man I hope a goon gets it so it can stay in the family. Sucks you have to sell it but I understand. I wish I had the time to put into it but I'm not working on the Scirocco as it is. A clean MK3 is getting to classic status quickly and the prices reflect it.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

chrisgt posted:

The lower quality adjuster seal on the injection pump was starting to have a rather voracious leak, so I went ahead and replaced that. Pump now seems dry, I don't think (hope it isn't) leaking at the head, that one isn't fun to replace. I've done them on other VE pumps.
It's still weird to use a laptop when working on a diesel, I'm used to drip tubes, dial indicators, etc...

EDIT: I've also put in the whole new interior, cleaned everything, armoralled everything, it's looking really nice.
It needs a good proper wash, but I'm really enjoying the car, it's a lot of fun to drive.

Oh also, I found a wrench with a 10mm socket under the carpet. I think I win the internet.

Are you going to do a thread so I can follow and really regret selling that car? Also I want my 10mm back, dick. Though it could be mine, sharkys or other Chris's. I think a thunderdome type challenge is the way to go on that one though.

If that pump is leaking don't bother resealing it just get an 11mm for it. Just need to swap the connector, pulley and machine the bracket to swap it. The pump that's on there came off my donor car that had 285k on it so it's haggard. A decent low mileage 11 can be had for relatively cheap these days. Enough so I'm stashing spares since some parts are NLA for these pumps. Best thing to do is get one and have Giles so through it. Just getting rid of that worn pump add at least 63% to the fun to driveness. Save up for a clutch too.

Also I know it's a cheap Chinese turbo but I'll be taking mine off the 8V pretty soon. It's a direct bolt on. I had it balanced so it should be ok, just make sure to run an intercooler to act as a turbo chunks filter if it does go. With those nozzles, an 11mm pump, that turbo and a tune from Jeff to make it work together it will be a serious ripper. Especially if you upgrade to a decent turbo next.

I don't know if you had planned on keeping it pretty stock but that's an idea that doesn't usually last that long and is literally why I had to sell it cause it was going to get out of hand, like it should. You have plenty of daily drivers so no excuses.

I kinda want that car back enough that selling the C10 had crossed my mind. I really miss having a Mk3 and especially a clean one.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Don't need a tune for three 11mm but it isn't bolt in. Have to enbiggen the hole where it goes through the bracket and the inner timing cover. You'll also need the pulley from an ALH, really cheap on TDIClub. I got mine for like $20. Adjusting the timing will be a different procedure using slots in the pulley rather than moving the entire pump. Get the reusable pulley bolts from idparts, again really cheap. You'll also have to swap the connector from the mk3 pump onto to the 11mm, easy with a depin tool. Save the ALH connector for when you upgrade to a EDC15 someday. The ecu in there is already socketed but burning a new chip for every tune sucks. Flashing through the obd port is where it's at.

You don't have to get a tune for the 11mm but it will probably be smokey until you do and then will also get all the benefits from it. The more fuel you can inject in the short window of optimum timing the more power it's going to make. Seconding getting a gt2052. That's what I have an having ridden in one it's unreal. It blew the multiple 17/22 (nla anyway unless you can find a used one) setups I've experienced out of the water. This is all ancient info too, I'm sure there's ridiculous stuff out there now but my experience ends around the early-mid '10s.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It's got Bosio DLC 1019s in it

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

sharkytm posted:

Man, I feel bad. Clutch and pump...

The clutch wasn't long for this world with the tune and nozzles, intake and such. Educated guess it's past 200ftlbs of torque at around 2k rpm. Also that pump is off my donor engine that had 285k on it so it was time for seals anyway.

I love the tape, I'm so glad you got that car. It just keeps getting better and better. With the SB clutch you'll finally be able to use all the power too, I floored it once right after I got the tune (Jeff wanted logs) and never did again because it slipped and I didn't want to kill it.

Do you have VCDS? You can switch to the smaller tune by coding it to an automatic though it seems to rev hang really bad when I tried it. I guess it's kinda too late now that you got the clutch anyway.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Did you have to take the passenger side flange off the trans to get it out? I forget what years need that but before I figured that out there was much, much anger trying to get the trans out trying every possible twist, jiggle and cuss word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Hell yeah, Mt Washington is my favorite place on Earth. I'm glad you took it there