Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

What could possibly go wrong with genociding a race that's keeping another, even more dangerous threat in check?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

PMush Perfect posted:

What could possibly go wrong with genociding a race that's keeping another, even more dangerous threat in check?

Point: Sixth World is doomed

Counterpoint: Lofwyr got loving :owned:

Hard call when you think about it

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Honestly kind of worth it for Lofwyr realizing how hosed he is.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

habeasdorkus posted:

Honestly kind of worth it for Lofwyr realizing how hosed he is.

My favorite Shadowrun story will always be the group that finished off their campaign by managing to trick the UCAS into shooting down Zurich-Orbital, decapitating several megacorps and crashing the global economy and the very end was Lofwyr just texting WHAT HAVE YOU DONE? to the decker that pulled it off.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
technomancer but yeah

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Pvt. Public posted:

Hmm, I thought Githyanki were LE and Githzerai were LN. Probably getting my editions confused again.

Is there anyone aside from the Illithid themselves, though, that isn't pretty on board with death to Illithids?

I think even most Illithids are entirely on board with Death To Most Illithids Except Me.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

kaosdrachen posted:

I think even most Illithids are entirely on board with Death To Most Illithids Except Me.
Similar in concept, if not in execution: Canonically, the only reason Beholders aren't ruling the Underdark, if not the whole Material Plane (at least in Greyhawk), despite how horrendously powerful they are? It's because they're so supremely racist and xenophobic that they're constantly infighting not just for domination and to settle rivalries and centuries-long grudges, but also because that hideous mutant motherfucker on the other side of the continent has twelve ridges on his main eyebrow instead of thirteen and is therefore an abomination, an affront to Beholderkind that must not be allowed to live.

This is, as you might imagine, something of an obstacle for a species where no two members look exactly alike.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
This LP is now available in the LP Archive. :toot:

Huge thanks as always to Baldurk for maintaining both the archives and LPix, the LP-dedicated image/audio host used in this and many other LPs.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
Shadowrun has the most interesting 'Magical Science vs. Seemingly Invincible Monster That Magical Beings Can't Beat' set up I've seen.

It's so much more complex, with the Horrors not being helpless in the face of tech, and no single scientist coming up with all the solutions.

I hope they keep building on it, and perhaps create a spinoff where the Horrors finally invade and the settings switch to stopping them.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the structure of the ip makes this a gigantic pain in the rear end

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Yeah, the problem is that Shadowrun and Earthdawn technically got sold to different companies, and there's been no interest in re-unifying everything to date. Therefore, actually using the Horrors beyond just the oblique referencing Dragonfall does is incredibly difficult.

(And there's the problem that in the tabletop game itself, "crisis stories" are if anything starting to become played out, thanks to Bug City then the SCIRE crisis then Crash 2.0 then CFD then Boston then Chicago 2.0 then Detroit + the UCAS blackout...)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

SpaceDrake posted:

(And there's the problem that in the tabletop game itself, "crisis stories" are if anything starting to become played out, thanks to Bug City then the SCIRE crisis then Crash 2.0 then CFD then Boston then Chicago 2.0 then Detroit + the UCAS blackout...)

I'm of the opinion that whoever ends up with the Shadowrun IP should do a soft reboot of the timeline anyway.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Part of the problem is that they're getting, IMO, too grimdark. You need some hope spots and there just haven't really been any in the last couple editions that I can think of.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

habeasdorkus posted:

Part of the problem is that they're getting, IMO, too grimdark. You need some hope spots and there just haven't really been any in the last couple editions that I can think of.

This is basically why I don't like it, as well. What is the point of a tabletop system where you can't really change things?

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Quackles posted:

This is basically why I don't like it, as well. What is the point of a tabletop system where you can't really change things?

Counterpoint: heists are fun.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

DreamingofRoses posted:

Counterpoint: heists are fun.

Oh, sure, but you could take cyberpunk, have heists, have the ability to meaningfully make a difference, and still call it Shadowrun and it'd still work.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Quackles posted:

Oh, sure, but you could take cyberpunk, have heists, have the ability to meaningfully make a difference, and still call it Shadowrun and it'd still work.

This is basically Spire. It's a fantasy rpg about being revolutionaries and pulling off heists in a megastructure, and IIRC the xp mechanic is built around having an impact on the setting.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Spire feels like a more focused Blades in the Dark, and I mean that in the best way. (Also, the setting makes it explicit in the text that there's no moral high ground here, except in the most vaguely relative of terms.)

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

PMush Perfect posted:

Spire feels like a more focused Blades in the Dark, and I mean that in the best way. (Also, the setting makes it explicit in the text that there's no moral high ground here, except in the most vaguely relative of terms.)

The story goes that the Spire lead author worked hard on it and then when they were putting out playtests was asked "So did you take a look at Blades in the Dark?" and went "Oh, poo poo, this is 80% the same" to the point that if they were making the game again they'd be making it a Blades hack (also known as 'a Forged In The Dark game').

BitD has some neat mechanics of its own that Spire doesn't; like the flashback mechanic. For example, if you're breaking into a vault and see a complex combination lock, it might be a Desperate Limited roll to try and unlock it quickly... but it might be a Risky Regular roll if you flash back to ambushing someone who knows the combination in a back alley and beating the information out of them, at the cost of taking a little bit of Stress damage.
Your inventory is also indeterminate - at the start of a heist you say if you're carrying a Light, Medium or Heavy load which determines your total equipment slots, and then if you get stabbed you can say "Oh, I'm totally wearing heavy armor, actually" and mark off those slots. Or if you need to get up high, "of course I brought a grappling hook".

Speaking of which:
Blades in the Dark and games adapting it to other settings is available today in a bundle here! Last month's bundle was Spire, so you've missed a chance for that.
But the Blades bundle includes Hack the Planet, a cyberpunk-themed adapation! There's also Runners in the Shadows available here which goes harder into adapting Shadowrun, with more detailed options for cyberware and stuff like that.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Blades In The Dark is designed to allow the characters to pull off a painstakingly prepared heist, without forcing the players to play through the entire setup phase.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

BiTD is one of my favorite pnp systems. I think every RPG system should add clocks for when poo poo is gonna get real because your PCs did something real dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
I'm very much looking forward to trying Spire in the next month or so with my usual group that loves Blades and has played a fair amount of Shadowrun. We all do an event at GenCon every year called Iron GM, and in 2017 they were short on GMs, so a lady volunteered and we got her, and she walks up to the table and says "Hey, you guys ever heard of Blades in the Dark?". She had just bought the book that day, and none of us had played it yet. It was a great time.