Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanakyris
Aug 22, 2015

Melth posted:

The atronach forge is technically not crafting, so I COULD use it.

However, I can't do it in character. I have never in my entire life actually found a recipe for the atronach forge in-game, so unless that changes Hjalti will never be able to use it. Except to create hostile flame atronachs that try to kill you and serve no practical purpose whatsoever.

I guess you could use it to harvest fire salts (drat you Balimund), or maybe souls, but there are other easier ways to do both of those things, so whatever. As for the draugr weak to fire thing, this is why you don't trust the Elder Scrolls wiki. The UESP has been doing it's job much longer and much better, though I will grudgingly admit that for lore, your best bet is probably the Imperial Library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Weeble posted:

You can randomly find recipes for it in-game on slain Conjurers..... written in the Daedric alphabet.

I can read daedric well enough, the problem is that I have never in my life found one of those on the hundreds and hundreds of conjurers I have killed. Nor have I found them in the other spots they can be randomly found. Bad luck I guess, they're a pretty rare drop. Especially considering 95% of the recipes are useless garbage anyway.

Thanakyris posted:

I guess you could use it to harvest fire salts (drat you Balimund), or maybe souls, but there are other easier ways to do both of those things, so whatever. As for the draugr weak to fire thing, this is why you don't trust the Elder Scrolls wiki. The UESP has been doing it's job much longer and much better, though I will grudgingly admit that for lore, your best bet is probably the Imperial Library.

Nope, it costs you fire salts to summon them, so it truly is worthless.

Yeah, the Elder Scrolls wiki is complete garbage. It annoys me so much that they somehow ended up higher on google searches despite being inferior in every way. I remember when that started to happen and watched in helpless desperation.

UESP wiki is often wrong about stuff too though. Wildly wrong at times.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Days 3-4: Like Old Tiber Septim

Man did this turn out to be a tough episode to put together. I had so many different sound problems! It's also a weirdly peaceful episode. Other than like 20 minutes fighting a dragon of course.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I think they keep Proventus around so they know what not to do. :v:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
With elves, dark or otherwise, nearly everything can take place in living memory. They can live more tjan 1,000 years. The events of Morrowind take place 207 years in the past from when Skyrim takes place, so its been plenty of time for Irilith to have forgotten about the Nerevarine. Especially since after Oblivion they've hosed off on their own and are never seen again.

So I totally get Irilith's skepticism.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

There is a great wisdom in keeping around one dissenting voice to question major decisions, if only to ensure that people see the obvious flaws in a given plan or order. But Proventus always seemed more like a 'the complainer is always wrong'-style character, so never mind.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
So I've been playing the game again thanks to this thread, and in line with my last post:

The other night I actually found an in-game recipe for the Atronach Forge.

For Conjure Flame Atronach.

Such a useless thing.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Weeble posted:

So I've been playing the game again thanks to this thread, and in line with my last post:

The other night I actually found an in-game recipe for the Atronach Forge.

For Conjure Flame Atronach.

Such a useless thing.

A scroll or a book or a staff?

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Book.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

I'd be quite happy finding one of those since it would let me justify experimenting to find the storm atronach book with its fairly similar recipe

Where did you find it by the way?

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Sunderstone Gorge; on an enemy.

First time I've gotten one there.

I also remember another time I found a recipe in a random encounter.... somewhere. It was years ago and I only remember it happened because picking up a note written in Daedric was somewhat memorable. Didn't actually know about the Forge then, so I had no idea what the note was.

So in who knows how many hours of gameplay over 6 years, I've found a grand total of 2 of 'em.

I really do think they intend for you to just throw everything you have at the Forge to see what sticks.

Or buy the guide/go to the internet.

Weeble fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 19, 2017

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I was about to post that it dropped daedric stuff but then I remembered you needed to find enemy ebony weapons first.

Anyway, my big beef with destruction is that it doesn't do that great of damage compared to just stabbing fools for no mana/stamina, but I don't remember whether stabbing fools is better before or after crafting. The lack of scaling really hurts it in my opinion, that's how you get comedy fights like that dragon.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Deadmeat5150 posted:

With elves, dark or otherwise, nearly everything can take place in living memory. They can live more tjan 1,000 years. The events of Morrowind take place 207 years in the past from when Skyrim takes place, so its been plenty of time for Irilith to have forgotten about the Nerevarine. Especially since after Oblivion they've hosed off on their own and are never seen again.

So I totally get Irilith's skepticism.

Besides, everyone cares more about St. Jiub, Slayer of Cliff-Racers, than that one rear end in a top hat who may or may not have been Nerevar reincarnated.

(That said, I love how whether or not you are Nerevar progresses in that game. From Caius going from :smug: "Yeah, we're just going to try and make this whole thing look good so we can unite this province under you and bring some stability to this region" to :psyduck:"Okay, don't gently caress with me here, are you actually this guy's reincarnation or not, because holy poo poo even I'm starting to believe here".

Of course, trying to do the DLC kinda ruins that a bit when you go to meet Almalexia and she's like "Oh, hi dead husband that I totally didn't murder or anything. Oh you didn't know that yet? Well, trust me, I can tell it's you, even if you did come back as a female argonian for some reason." Ruins the mystery a bit.)

Almost forgot to mention, you've brought up Talos and Tiber Septim and Lorkhan a few times and said you're going to come back to it. That's a pretty big rabbit hole to fall down, how deep are you planning to delve into that?

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 19, 2017

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Almalexia's crazy though, and she might also be lying to you.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

So the real advantage of Khajit is that they get a significant bonus to hand-to-hand damage from day one - which, at level one, means your punches actually do more damage than any unimproved sword. This falls off pretty fast and doesn't scale well at all compared to hand to hand, but if you want a viable hand-to-hand build in vanilla you have to play a Khajit.

I don't know if it's actually viable on Legendary but on lower difficulties hand-to-hand Khajit with enchanting and smithing is actually viable to the end game at level 81.

There's literally zero advantage to it over a similar one hand build (beyond maybe that you cap out much earlier so the game stops getting any harder earlier if you don't want to go to level 81), but on the other hand it's hilarious and awesome so as a result I've done every quest in the game as a punchcat.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I was about to post that it dropped daedric stuff but then I remembered you needed to find enemy ebony weapons first.

Anyway, my big beef with destruction is that it doesn't do that great of damage compared to just stabbing fools for no mana/stamina, but I don't remember whether stabbing fools is better before or after crafting. The lack of scaling really hurts it in my opinion, that's how you get comedy fights like that dragon.

I don't know; having played both legendary no crafting warriors and legendary no crafting mages I would say their DPS output is fairly comparable for a long time. Honestly, I think warriors should have a bigger edge in DPS. Let me throw out some rough numbers here for the end of the mid-game. A mixed bows and one-handed warrior will get to 80 one-handed at ballpark the same level a mage gets to 60 destruction. Each has just unlocked all their damage perks; 5 levels of Armsman for a 100% increase and 2 levels of Augmented Flames for 50%. Dawnbreaker is the best sword for most of the game, and Firebolt is the most mana-efficient spell.

The warrior deals about 12 (base) x 1.4 (skill bonus) x 2 (perk bonus) +11 (fire enchantment including afterburn) = 43.6 damage, and they can strike about once per second assuming the enemy isn't blocking or anything. You can plausibly have about 50% worth of one-handed bonuses from enchanted gear at that level without sacrificing other important bonuses, so let's call it 60.4 DPS.

A single firebolt deals about 25 base x 1.5 (perk bonus) x 1.1 (afterburn) = 41.25 damage. You can generally take a shot about every second if the enemy isn't dodging around. But you can do 2 shots at once, so 82.5 DPS on the mage. Actually slightly better. Even if we assume the mage actually only has 1 augmented flames perk they'll be pretty comparable. Now it's true the mage needs to watch his mana, but I know from experience that it's quite possible to get enough to take down the enemies you have to.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Also: Dual Destruction and Impact.

You DO lose out on magicka efficiency and raw DPS, but it doesn't matter. By the time you'll realistically be using it, you should have more than enough magicka to last through fights, and Impact is worth it.

At least to me.

You should also have found some nice cost reducing gear by then as well.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

MinistryofLard posted:

So the real advantage of Khajit is that they get a significant bonus to hand-to-hand damage from day one - which, at level one, means your punches actually do more damage than any unimproved sword. This falls off pretty fast and doesn't scale well at all compared to hand to hand, but if you want a viable hand-to-hand build in vanilla you have to play a Khajit.

I don't know if it's actually viable on Legendary but on lower difficulties hand-to-hand Khajit with enchanting and smithing is actually viable to the end game at level 81.

There's literally zero advantage to it over a similar one hand build (beyond maybe that you cap out much earlier so the game stops getting any harder earlier if you don't want to go to level 81), but on the other hand it's hilarious and awesome so as a result I've done every quest in the game as a punchcat.

On legendary it would be very problematic. You have garbage reach with unarmed so you can’t avoid blows as well, and it’s extremely difficult to raise your armor skills without training so you will take forever to get the Fists of Steel perk. Needing to use heavy will make it even harder to dodge of course. And then if you’re not enchanting then you can’t get those critical unarmed bonuses from the gloves of the pugilist

Avoiding skill bonuses IS a decent upside for people who truly intend to do no melee, but those people shouldn’t be in melee using their claws either

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012
So is this LP going to explore the high level content? I've made dozens of characters on Skyrim but I usually get bored before reaching a high overall level so I've never really seen the difficulty scaling in action.

Also, is this just gonna hit the main quest with a bit of side tracking, or do you intend on exploring a ton of content? I'm really enjoying the LP so I hope it lasts a long while.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

Just wanted to check in and let you know that this is the only Skyrim let's play I've ever enjoyed. You have great commentary and keep the pace up enough to keep in interesting.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Jester Mcgee posted:

Just wanted to check in and let you know that this is the only Skyrim let's play I've ever enjoyed. You have great commentary and keep the pace up enough to keep in interesting.

It's inspired me to go back to the game and not fall into the trap of sneak/bow supremacy, and I'm having a lot of fun with it (as a spellswordaxe, no less).

The Aethernautics mod, and the acompanying Harquebusses are challenging that pretty hard right now, though...

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Powerfrog posted:

So is this LP going to explore the high level content? I've made dozens of characters on Skyrim but I usually get bored before reaching a high overall level so I've never really seen the difficulty scaling in action.

Also, is this just gonna hit the main quest with a bit of side tracking, or do you intend on exploring a ton of content? I'm really enjoying the LP so I hope it lasts a long while.

I intend to explore a decent amount of content as long as it makes sense in character. (While there’s a dragon invasion going on and I don’t know the cause it seems logical for Hjalti to prioritize that a while). I have a big character arc outlined, but of course there’s no guarantee I’ll survive.

Jester Mcgee posted:

Thanks! Anything else you’d like me to talk about or other ways I could make it better?

GrayDorian
Dec 21, 2006

who is he
I'm curious what you think the most powerful builds are (warrior and mage) without using some of the broken systems inherent in the game, like the smithing/enchantment/alchemy loop

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
I love that loop and I love the 900 attack power wooden toy sword I made.

Ben Carsons Ghost
Oct 27, 2007

Skippy Granola posted:

I love that loop and I love the 900 attack power wooden toy sword I made.

I wish I had stopped at 900. When I fought Miraak, all my weapons did so much damage that anytime I hit him in his first stage I softlocked the game. I had to reload an earlier save and bring a weapon that did less than 10k damage.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

GrayDorian posted:

I'm curious what you think the most powerful builds are (warrior and mage) without using some of the broken systems inherent in the game, like the smithing/enchantment/alchemy loop

Well there are all kinds of ways to break the game and I rarely think in terms of builds so much as in terms of important capabilities and perks which are either worth it or not worth it

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Hardly have to break the game at all, the AI is not the brightest and chain-staggering is simple enough to accomplish early on as a warrior. The crafting cycle isn't breaking the game so much as it is abusing it. The poor thing is already so busted, doing enough damage that the game soft locks is just cruel!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
A highly smithed dagger with a 1-second paralysis enchantment is also a hilariously broken weapon

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

A highly smithed dagger with a 1-second paralysis enchantment is also a hilariously broken weapon

That goes back through the whole series, though, it's not unique to Skyrim.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Days 4-5: Dragon the Legion Into This

Next episode! I'm getting a better idea of how long these will take to make, so I should have a stable update schedule in the near future

Melth fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Dec 22, 2017

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

There's kind of an abrupt cut at 47:22, it's a little odd.

GrayDorian
Dec 21, 2006

who is he
This LP got me to reinstall, starting out as a warrior. Stamina foods seem pretty amazing

GrayDorian
Dec 21, 2006

who is he
Any must have items/spells for a warrior playthrough?

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

GrayDorian posted:

Any must have items/spells for a warrior playthrough?

Is it possible to message you? I want to keep most of my cleverest gear choices secret from the general public for my eventual warrior playthrough.

I'll talk about spells here though since I won't be doing a spellsword.

Using bound weapons is VERY viable. You can acquire Bound Sword almost immediately and get a perk that will make it daedric quality within 2 levels. If you're doing that route, you MUST stop at Fort Amol along the northern route from Whiterun to Ivarstead. There in the Fort Amol prison section you can find the one and only guaranteed low-level copy of Bound Bow. Bound Bow is the best bow in the entire game for some reason, WAY better than a mere daedric bow. It also comes with 100 free daedric arrows every time you cast it. Crazy stuff.

Xflesh spells become quite useful later for warriors but are useless at the start. For mages they are always useless even with the Mage Armor perks.

I consider it an exploit, but warriors LOVE the stamina restore from perked restoration spells for endless power attacks.

Destruction is a viable alternative to bows. Unlike a mage who has better stuff to invest his pre-fight mana in, you may find the rune spells useful. But don't go beyond the apprentice level spells.

Qrr posted:

There's kind of an abrupt cut at 47:22, it's a little odd.

Thanks for pointing that out. My video editing software has been causing all kinds of problems and has taken to deleting seemingly random 5 second snippets of sound or video out of the middle of my episodes. That one slipped by me. Since I'm a perfectionist, I redid my editing and I'm re-uploading the video. Should be done by morning.

Melth fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Dec 22, 2017

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Another tip for a Warrior: Invest in Destruction.

Even if you'll never actually seriously use it, invest in it.

Makes the charges on enchanted weapons last longer. Specifically, weapons enchanted to do Fire/Frost/Lighting damage.

Weeble fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Dec 22, 2017

GrayDorian
Dec 21, 2006

who is he
Ah, I'll wait until the warrior playthrough to see the tricks of the trade there. Really enjoying this Skyrim LP

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm not sure if it's a spoiler how Ysolde makes her money, but she's dealing with the khajiit traders. She sells drugs to them.

If you have the Dawnguard DLC leaving the Alik'r guys at the entrance isn't a bad idea. At least until you've finished it. :v:

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Just released a slightly edited version of the video to fix that abrupt jump at 47:22. I have had so many editing software and youtube problems with this episode...

Poil posted:

I'm not sure if it's a spoiler how Ysolde makes her money, but she's dealing with the khajiit traders. She sells drugs to them.

Well she's trying to! But she's just getting started in that shady business and her supply chain appears to have a critical missing link, so she can't have made much money there yet

Weeble posted:

Another tip for a Warrior: Invest in Destruction.

Even if you'll never actually seriously use it, invest in it.

Makes the charges on enchanted weapons last longer. Specifically, weapons enchanted to do Fire/Frost/Lighting damage.

I disagree with this tip. It's a nice little side benefit for people doing destruction instead of archery (as are the elemental damage perks which in at least some versions of the game work on weapons too), but the benefit is really small and not worth the time spent grinding a skill you aren't using. Particularly since any enchanting XP saved on not needing to use as many soul gems for recharging will be more than exceeded by the destruction XP.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
There is something to say about the "in my time of need" quest

The leader of the Alik'r said they wanted her alive for the judgement, but next time you get return to Whiterun, you'll find Saadia/Iman corpse in the Hall of the Dead. This could be that maybe they wanted only to silence her, and Saadia could have been right about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Personally I like grabbing conjuration as a warrior. It might not be optimal but charging in and cleaving the head from some bandit or whatever and raising it as an undead servant to help bring down the rest of the enemies is very satisfying.

Guy Fawkes posted:

There is something to say about the "in my time of need" quest
The only way to be sure is to kill everyone.