Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Just finished uploading the next video, and it'll go live in two weeks. I think I'll do either Skyrim or Warcraft in between my Age of Mythology videos for the time being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
The new episode: Days 66-68: The Destruction Expert

It turned out to be a far longer one than anticipated because the roads were absolutely crawling with encounters!

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Great to see this LP return!

Hey, expert destruction spells. Too bad they probably cost too much magicka for Hjalti to feasibly use. You really need a lot of Fortify Destruction enchants to throw around those Incinerates. The Wall spells are just useless, though.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Wasted your gold! You'll need that gold soon, too!

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Mountaineer posted:

Great to see this LP return!

Hey, expert destruction spells. Too bad they probably cost too much magicka for Hjalti to feasibly use. You really need a lot of Fortify Destruction enchants to throw around those Incinerates. The Wall spells are just useless, though.

I'm hoping that the less efficient destruction spells will also help Hjalti level up his destruction a little faster. Sad to hear that the walls are useless. Dragon Priests with staffs creating walls seemed to work alright.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Day 69: (pr)Icy Spear

First time using expert destruction spells, and a return to Kolbjorn Barrow

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Nice of you to fund this guy's miner murdering operation. Maybe he should have asked for 4000 septims and also hired some guards.

And the high tier spell being 6x worse for no benefit is just depressing.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Getting to the higher tier spells and coming to the stark realization they did not actually plan for anybody to get there and see what was in store is pretty funny, no lie.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Qrr posted:

Nice of you to fund this guy's miner murdering operation. Maybe he should have asked for 4000 septims and also hired some guards.

And the high tier spell being 6x worse for no benefit is just depressing.

Yeah, it seems uncreative to just have the expert spell be the same as the tier 2 spell but worse.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The expert spells are only usable with copious amounts of cost reduction gear.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Melth posted:

Yeah, it seems uncreative to just have the expert spell be the same as the tier 2 spell but worse.

Skyrim destruction.png

We haven't even gotten to the complete and utter wastes of time the master spells are.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
What really blows my mind is that during all these years nobody on the dev team did a decent overhaul of the magic system.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
"Fantasy, for us, is a knight on horseback running around and killing things."

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 22, 2021

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Skyrim destruction.png

We haven't even gotten to the complete and utter wastes of time the master spells are.

I've heard most of the master spells are garbage. but it sounds like some of them are at least creative garbage rather than copy/pastes of low level spells with worse stats.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I've tried using the master fire spell (from a scroll) but the very slow casting time makes it really difficult to time. Especially when vampires are trying to drain and hack you.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
For the record, the Thrall spells just have infinite durations; the atronachs summoned die in combat as easily as any other summon and you'll have to cast them again at the same absurd mana cost.

Also there was a puzzle in the barrow where there was a skull on a pressure plate in the middle of the room, and you had to move the skull to open the door, which you unwittingly did by shouting into the room.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

For the record, the Thrall spells just have infinite durations; the atronachs summoned die in combat as easily as any other summon and you'll have to cast them again at the same absurd mana cost.

Also there was a puzzle in the barrow where there was a skull on a pressure plate in the middle of the room, and you had to move the skull to open the door, which you unwittingly did by shouting into the room.

Ah ha! Thanks, I remember seeing a skull lying around but I had no idea that I'd shouted it off of something earlier while fighting the draugr. Good to know.

As for the flame thrall spell, I did figure that the summoned atronach could be killed like any other. But it's fairly rare for one of my atronachs to get killed unless I deliberately stop keeping it alive with stuns and whatnot. So it seems to me that the thrall spells would still function too much like followers and break my rule against those.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Melth posted:

Ah ha! Thanks, I remember seeing a skull lying around but I had no idea that I'd shouted it off of something earlier while fighting the draugr. Good to know.

As for the flame thrall spell, I did figure that the summoned atronach could be killed like any other. But it's fairly rare for one of my atronachs to get killed unless I deliberately stop keeping it alive with stuns and whatnot. So it seems to me that the thrall spells would still function too much like followers and break my rule against those.

Nah, they tend to get lost on area transitions.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Day 69: Neloth 2?

Is the Morrowind mage's guild questline canon? Are the flickering oceans of Solstheim canon?

Melth fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Dec 9, 2021

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
The posted link goes to episode 61 instead of episode 62.

There certainly was a Mages Guild quest to kill Neloth (and all the other Telvanni leaders) in Morrowind, but it was completely optional. It was just a bullshit quest that the Archmage gave the player in attempt to get rid of them. You could complete the guild questline and make the Archmage resign or even kill him without doing that particular quest. The Nerevarine annihilating House Telvanni probably isn't canon.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Mountaineer posted:

The posted link goes to episode 61 instead of episode 62.

Ah, yes, thank you for pointing that out. I've fixed it now.

Mountaineer posted:

There certainly was a Mages Guild quest to kill Neloth (and all the other Telvanni leaders) in Morrowind, but it was completely optional. It was just a bullshit quest that the Archmage gave the player in attempt to get rid of them. You could complete the guild questline and make the Archmage resign or even kill him without doing that particular quest. The Nerevarine annihilating House Telvanni probably isn't canon.

I guess Neloth's survival confirms that it isn't canon. I don't think I like that though. With some exceptions, they have generally done a good job of leaving it ambiguous what the previous main characters actually did. I think that's good writing, and this lapse in it (particularly to bring back what I remember as an utterly pointless and forgettable character who was the same as all the other Telvanni) seems mostly pointless to me.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Huh, the run almost ended at 25:43. One hit and literally all of your health went away, it's kind of surprising that something did 99% of your hp and not all of it. Or does skyrim operate on an Earthbound style system where when you get hit with lethal damage you're ok so long as you heal before the bar goes down?

Legendary really is incredibly lethal. Sadly it's one of the least interesting ways to add difficulty to a game, just scaling numbers up until every hit is a one shot and every enemy takes dozens of hits or more to kill.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Qrr posted:

Huh, the run almost ended at 25:43. One hit and literally all of your health went away, it's kind of surprising that something did 99% of your hp and not all of it. Or does skyrim operate on an Earthbound style system where when you get hit with lethal damage you're ok so long as you heal before the bar goes down?

Legendary really is incredibly lethal. Sadly it's one of the least interesting ways to add difficulty to a game, just scaling numbers up until every hit is a one shot and every enemy takes dozens of hits or more to kill.

Being kept alive after a big hit is certainly not a feature of the default game, so I'm guessing it was just a coincidence here.

I guess playing on Legendary is like playing the part of a particularly awful Flea Man from Castlevania- you can be one-shot by almost anything, the "hero" will take dozens of hits to kill, but drat if you aren't obnoxiously evasive.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Qrr posted:

There've been a lot of close calls over the course of this! I'm amazed it's still going, even with all the precautions I usually take.

I've never entirely agreed with the notion that sturdy enemies or fragile heroes are automatically a boring form of difficulty. They can be. But if sturdier enemies makes it harder to use mindless attack techniques to win, that can make things more interesting (to a point). I would say that's somewhat the case as a mage character, where legendary encourages use of things like Fury instead of just killing everything in a couple of shots with firebolts while they stay stunlocked.

And heightened enemy damage certainly makes things more interesting in Skyrim I think. By default, it's easy and boring and effective to just mindlessly trade hits with the enemy, win, and then heal up afterward. Very few enemies at baseline difficulty present any challenge to that kind of mindless approach.

That said, I do think legendary goes too far on the enemy hitpoints. Partly because the base game already opted to inflate the HP of higher level enemies too much.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Day 69: The Companion's Cubes pt 1

This video somehow took more than four entire days to upload. Savor it!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Melth posted:

Day 69: The Companion's Cubes pt 1

This video somehow took more than four entire days to upload. Savor it!

I think this dungeon was my favourite part of the expansion, even if it's a little glitchy in a few places. Be careful as you go as I vaguely remember that there are some monsters that one-shotted me at long range as an armoured character on the second-most-difficult setting.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Nice to see some dungeons that don't feel exactly like all the other dungeons. Skyrim dungeons did tend to fall into a pattern, and once you have plenty of money they don't really give any incentive to explore them (outside of Word Walls or the occasional good mask or something, I guess).

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Schwartzcough posted:

Nice to see some dungeons that don't feel exactly like all the other dungeons. Skyrim dungeons did tend to fall into a pattern, and once you have plenty of money they don't really give any incentive to explore them (outside of Word Walls or the occasional good mask or something, I guess).

I can kind of agree with you on this. At some point, some of the thrill of exploration and discovering new things and new enemies did start to wear off because some of them are same-y in design. And there's only so many times you can have the exact same ambush of draugr coming out of sarcophagi in twos and threes followed by the leader draugr coming out of the prominently displayed main sarcophagus before it gets tiresome.

On the other hand, I did think that (unlike in Oblivion) a high % of the dungeons did have either a story-based quest or unique aspect of their layout which helped somewhat. And there are a decent number which are really good.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Part of it too is that the crafting system blows any loot you can find - for the most part - completely out of the water, so once you have the Turbo Armor of Infinite Magicka you can awkwardly sit there firing off infinite Paralysis spells and wondering what the hell to do with the rest of your life.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You don't even need that, just a moderately improved piece of armor or weapon by smithing alone will easily outperform practically anything. You can get this shiny lore-tastic blade from the hands of a daedric prince of legendary power and... it's a massive downgrade. At least let me disenchant it so I can get the unimpressive magic effect on something good instead.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Poil posted:

You don't even need that, just a moderately improved piece of armor or weapon by smithing alone will easily outperform practically anything. You can get this shiny lore-tastic blade from the hands of a daedric prince of legendary power and... it's a massive downgrade. At least let me disenchant it so I can get the unimpressive magic effect on something good instead.

I think probably smithing should have been limited to provide a certain maximum % improvement over the base damage of a weapon. Then it would have been easy to balance daedric weapons to be near the top of the maximum damage. I don't mind the very best non daedric artifacts dealing more damage than some daedric ones of course, the lore is full of great weapons that aren't daedric artifacts, but I do think the daedric ones should at least be viable. And most of them aren't.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
I've noticed while working on some recent videos that the file size of my Skyrim videos, but not videos for any other game, have exploded in size recently. It now takes me about 5 entire days to upload one (with an admittedly slow connection). I'm not sure what changed to make that happen. Presumably it relates to having a new computer, but I was already playing the game on ultra high graphics on the old computer, so I'm not sure what is different.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Day 69: The Companion's Cubes pt 2

Threats in dwarven ruins:
1) Spheres
2) Spinning blades
3) Bad water physics

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Melth posted:

Day 69: The Companion's Cubes pt 2

Threats in dwarven ruins:
1) Spheres
2) Spinning blades
3) Bad water physics

How long have you been running this playthrough now?

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

CommonShore posted:

How long have you been running this playthrough now?

The Thread here started in 2017, so that's approaching 5 years.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Lynneth posted:

The Thread here started in 2017, so that's approaching 5 years.

Wow, it might end up running longer than Age of Mythology!

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Day 69: The Realm of Badness

It's been a while since I've seen as many bugs in Skyrim as I have these last 2 episodes!

There are some cool sights to see in Apocrypha though at least.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Day 70: Need for Mead

I stumble upon a sidequest, which I'm not sure I fully resolved!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The mead hall morons are kinda like the companions but in the wilderness. Spending all of their time just sitting around their hall pretending to be tough and fierce fighters.

I believe Oblivion had a journal about how they were all, except for one survivor, killed off by a single troll wandering into their hall. And then the journal is the story of how they got revenge and tracked down where it came from by locating and going up against what's basically the ur-troll. With no source of fire at all. Because... nords love their lead cups and drinking horns apparently.

Poil fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Poil posted:

The mead hall morons are kinda like the companions but in the wilderness. Spending all of their time just sitting around their hall pretending to be tough and fierce fighters.

I believe Oblivion had a journal about how they were all, except for one survivor, killed off by a single troll wandering into their hall. And then the journal is the story of how they got revenge and tracked down where it came from by locating and going up against what's basically the ur-troll. With no source of fire at all. Because... nords love their lead cups and drinking horns apparently.

I do remember that Oblivion storyline! It was an interesting one in that it was basically a fully formed quest but did not actually appear in your quest log. Oddly enough, several of the most interesting quests in Oblivion were like that.

Day 71: Benkongerieklings

I found out from a commenter that one of the seemingly random dungeons I had stepped into but not finished before has a Black Book in it. Since I'm in the area now, I've returned to clear it out and find the next book!