Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Day 71: Glitch Trials

There seems to be no limit to the glitches of Apocrypha!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Day 72: Uneventful so Far

In which I ask 'what could go wrong' and the answer is 'all of the above'.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Melth posted:

Day 72: Uneventful so Far

In which I ask 'what could go wrong' and the answer is 'all of the above'.

Don't you have boots of water walking? Didn't Hjalti pick some up specifically for situations like today's?

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

CommonShore posted:

Don't you have boots of water walking? Didn't Hjalti pick some up specifically for situations like today's?

Last time I put those on, I inexplicably dropped dead when I tried to walk on water.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Melth posted:

Last time I put those on, I inexplicably dropped dead when I tried to walk on water.

Well then

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
"That was a weird earthquake"
*turn around*
:vd:

Melth posted:

I don't think you need to worry about that anymore. That particular spot in Nchardak for some reason just kills you if you try to waterwalk there, or float over the water in vampire lord form. It probably won't happen again.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

"probably" :v:

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Poil posted:

"probably" :v:

Sounds worth the risk to keep his feet dry!

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Day 73: Miner Setbacks

Creative world design: having one dungeon exit into another dungeon's basement.

Uncreative world design: arbitrarily blocking off that door so that one must do the two dungeons in a certain sequence, while possibly also dooming confused players to an hour of fruitless searching for the way through that door they can see.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Day 73: Sunfire or Stunfire

After literal years of working toward it, in this episode I finally get my Restoration skill level high enough to take the final magic regeneration boost!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Is something happening in recent patches or software/OS updates that's making Skyrim less and less stable?

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

CommonShore posted:

Is something happening in recent patches or software/OS updates that's making Skyrim less and less stable?

I wish I knew, because it's getting more and more frustrating.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I think that's just what happens when you play Skyrim for too long as the one character. The game starts to get really unstable, you start to see animals spawn in and fall from the sky and some of the random quests are not possible to complete as they will send you after enemies which you had previously killed and are still dead. I have never been able to kill a legendary dragon in this game because of how unstable it gets. That and leveling my character high enough to do so was just far too tedious by that point.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

In my experience once hulking draugr turns up it's to give up. At that point it's just those and deathlords and other boring crap with bloated health pools.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Day 73: Sunfire or Stunfire pt 2

What a great dungeon now that it's no longer lagging or having as many bugs! I had a lot of fun with this one

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Day 74: A Tour of Solstheim

The first Skyrim video I've made in a while. I need to think about how Hjalti would tackle the next part of the story in-character.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Maybe it's "Dædra" and has the sound from "fast" "ash" or "dad."

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

We could be cool and pronounce it Dädra? :cool:

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Poil posted:

We could be cool and pronounce it Dädra? :cool:

CommonShore posted:

Maybe it's "Dædra" and has the sound from "fast" "ash" or "dad."

I should have suggested one of those to Hermaeus Mora!

Day 75: Mushroom Stew(ard)

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Hjalti completely unfazed by finding not one but two (!!) entire copies of the priceless chimarvamidium!

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

mortons stork posted:

Hjalti completely unfazed by finding not one but two (!!) entire copies of the priceless chimarvamidium!

Oh yeah! I'm so used to seeing that everywhere that I forgot it used to be a subject of quests in Morrowind.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Your game is definitely more buggy than is normal for Skyrim. I certainly never phased through the floor in Apocrypha like that.

I don't know why the quest marker for the woman's lost book wasn't showing up. The shipwreck is right there on the coast between Raven Rock and Tel Mithryn. Speaking of quest markers, you complained about them earlier in the video. The alternative is how Morrowind did things with usually detailed directions on where to go, and sometimes deliberately more vague instructions. Some players (like me) enjoy that sort of thing, but it makes the game less accessible to more casual players. It's probably better this way considering how many times Morrowind's quest directions were wrong or misleading.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Day 76: Re-un-re-unearthed

Continuing Skyrim after a while and continuing Ralis's intriguing yet repetitive quest, also after a while.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Day 76-77: The Manmer in the Iron Mask

I've had this idea for years, ever since I heard that Miraak steals dragon souls!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Melth posted:

Day 76-77: The Manmer in the Iron Mask

I've had this idea for years, ever since I heard that Miraak steals dragon souls!

I think he steals every second one, so that dragon you got in Raven Rock was actually integral to the plan

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It is a pretty good plan. Might be a bit too advanced given how everyone in Skyrim seem to drink mead from lead cups. :v:

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

CommonShore posted:

I think he steals every second one, so that dragon you got in Raven Rock was actually integral to the plan

Interesting! I'm not sure that's the case though, I think I read somewhere that it's just a % chance, and the % might change over the course of the quest. That wouldn't surprise me, since Oblivion gates opening worked in a similar way.

Poil posted:

It is a pretty good plan. Might be a bit too advanced given how everyone in Skyrim seem to drink mead from lead cups. :v:

I guess I'll need to count on the oppressed and downtrodden milkdrinker minority to spread the word then!

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Day 77-79: A Thrilling Page-Turner

I make a stop in Winterhold and unlock 5 spells I've never had a chance to use before. Then back to Solstheim to advance the Dragonborn quest there!

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
The voices sound like you're missing the front audio channel - any chance you're sound is setup to output the wrong audio? Like it's trying to output 5.1 when you only have 2 speakers. I've occasionally had windows, my soundcard software, and the game itself trying to do different things.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

LeastActionHero posted:

The voices sound like you're missing the front audio channel - any chance you're sound is setup to output the wrong audio? Like it's trying to output 5.1 when you only have 2 speakers. I've occasionally had windows, my soundcard software, and the game itself trying to do different things.

Hm, how would I check that? I didn't see anything amiss in windows's sound settings.

Day 79: Caution: Glitched Floor

I finish everything I can for now in Apocrypha!

Melth fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 5, 2023

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Only watched the first few minutes yet, but if you used SkyUI you could bind a shortcut to equip Ahzidal's ring and ignite (or freeze) in both hands. Or the ring and ignite/that one staff or whatever you want. e: I think the default key binding for equipment sets in SkyUI is f1-f4, fwiw.

Staltran fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 22, 2023

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I still haven't got a clue how you have the buggiest Apocrypha I have ever seen.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah when I played through Apocrypha I had like two glitches through all of the books combined, mostly with moving floors.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

Melth posted:

Hm, how would I check that? I didn't see anything amiss in windows's sound settings.

Here's a guide: https://appuals.com/how-to-configure-and-test-5-1-surround-sound-on-windows-10/. You'd just want to get rid of speakers you don't actually have. Also if you have any other audio software, that can override it - I have SoundBlaster software that will override the Windows settings.

I'm wondering what the thought process of ignite was - it's as much damage as the expert level spell, for a tenth of the cost. Was the designer acknowledging that expert spells are way too expensive (the destruction ones, anyway), or did they just not realize the damage would stack indefinitely? It reminds me of cheesing Oblivion by making pure damage over time touch spells that massively out-damaged any default spell.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

LeastActionHero posted:

Here's a guide: https://appuals.com/how-to-configure-and-test-5-1-surround-sound-on-windows-10/. You'd just want to get rid of speakers you don't actually have. Also if you have any other audio software, that can override it - I have SoundBlaster software that will override the Windows settings.

I'm wondering what the thought process of ignite was - it's as much damage as the expert level spell, for a tenth of the cost. Was the designer acknowledging that expert spells are way too expensive (the destruction ones, anyway), or did they just not realize the damage would stack indefinitely? It reminds me of cheesing Oblivion by making pure damage over time touch spells that massively out-damaged any default spell.

I think as a matter of balance, it does make sense to have damage over time spells be considerably cheaper than instant damage spells. In fact, I like it quite well that they added a good damage over time spell here. On a non-legend run where enemies don't take 10000 hits to die, there could be a real tradeoff between using less magicka, vs killing enemies right this second.

I'll try that sound idea now since this next episode is still having that same problem:

Day 79-80: Fire with Fire

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ah more adventures of Hjalti The Apocrypha Breaker.

I don't care about Ralis releasing an ancient horribly evil dragon priest, but I never forgive him for getting all those miners killed by refusing to hire freaking guards until the very end when excavating a freaking tomb. Die you bastard!

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

fighting off an ancient necromancer with ease, only to almost get splattered into an icy paste by a guy dual wielding pickaxes :allears:

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

oldskool posted:

fighting off an ancient necromancer with ease, only to almost get splattered into an icy paste by a guy dual wielding pickaxes :allears:

Thaaaaaat's Skyrim!

Poil posted:

Ah more adventures of Hjalti The Apocrypha Breaker.

I don't care about Ralis releasing an ancient horribly evil dragon priest, but I never forgive him for getting all those miners killed by refusing to hire freaking guards until the very end when excavating a freaking tomb. Die you bastard!

Agreed!

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

LeastActionHero posted:

I solved the problem. It's weird in that although, as you said, it was playing like surround sound that was missing the front channel, in the Realtek app the headphones were definitely set to Stereo. (In fact, they couldn't be set to anything else).

After trying numerous thing, this was what worked:
In control panel -> Sound - Headphones -> Properties I found the 'Spatial Sound' tab. Turning on something there called 'windows sonic for headphones' did it.

Now I just have to hope it didn't break anything else!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Day 80: Dark Roast

The penultimate realm of Apocrypha is less buggy than the previous ones, and proves to be one of my favorites with an elegant design.