Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

So the real advantage of Khajit is that they get a significant bonus to hand-to-hand damage from day one - which, at level one, means your punches actually do more damage than any unimproved sword. This falls off pretty fast and doesn't scale well at all compared to hand to hand, but if you want a viable hand-to-hand build in vanilla you have to play a Khajit.

I don't know if it's actually viable on Legendary but on lower difficulties hand-to-hand Khajit with enchanting and smithing is actually viable to the end game at level 81.

There's literally zero advantage to it over a similar one hand build (beyond maybe that you cap out much earlier so the game stops getting any harder earlier if you don't want to go to level 81), but on the other hand it's hilarious and awesome so as a result I've done every quest in the game as a punchcat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

That's just by humans who don't know any better.

Thinking about it, that theory makes a bit more sense given that in Oblivion the Gods wouldn't heal or bless you if you were unknown or enough of a bastard.

In Skyrim they don't seem to mind.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Fun fact: if you want to play as a conjuration mage in Vanilla Skyrim without the unofficial patch, the atronach stone is a bad idea because you will literally absorb the Magicka from your own spell and your summon will whiff.

Also I really like your explanations on what's optimal play and choices in Skyrim. I'm interested in hearing what the best race for a stealthy archer type build is.

Also what's the justification for flesh spells being useless? I figure it's possible to cast them just for if you get jumped in a cave or something? Is it better just to wear real armour as a mage instead?

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

I thought the DB was probably the best faction questline in Skyrim - you're an assassin, you do assassinations, and some of those assassinations are awesome and creative (most notably the final one). At the very least, for a few there's creative ways to do it too.

Plus if you ignore the bits with the loving clown there's a decent plot in there with a meaningful antagonist in the form of the Penitus Oculatus guy.

It's still probably not as good as Oblivion's, but when you mention any quest in Skyrim you get that. Skyrim is great gameplay with bland quests and no flavour. Oblivion is terrible gameplay with great, fascinating quests.

Mages Guild in Skyrim is pretty good, though you don't feel like a student or real apprentice like you do in Oblivion. At the very least it's well set up in terms of making you feel like an actual mage (as opposed to the thieves guild where you are basically a fighter), it's got an antagonist that you can love to hate, and tons of interesting little side quests and unmarked quests (some of which are basically half done though).

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Dawnguard only makes sense if you assume that Serana just used Vampiric Seduction on the Last Dragonborn and Isran.

Also you can craft bolts if I remember correctly, you just can only do it at Gunnar's forge in Fort Dawnguard for some reason, and you need to have joined the Dawnguard as well.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Morthal is actually one of my favourite holds in Skyrim and it's mostly because the Jarl is great. The major quest in the hold is pretty cool and atmospheric as well.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

I like the theory that Ambition-Tyranny-Cruelty refers to what Pathuurnax is doing to the Dragons rather than any humans he could rule over - he's forcing the Dragons to abandon their true nature and follow the Way of the Voice, which is pretty tyranic and cruel to them all things considered.

I don't know how well that stands up though.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Dawnguard only makes sense if you assume that Serana used vampiric seduction on the Dragonborn immediately and they haven't noticed.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

I always just cheated to max enchanting and smithing as soon as I'd levelled every other skill I was going to use to max, because honestly, at the point where you're manually crafting and enchanting 3000 daggers to break a single player game over your knee in a way the creators didn't intend you might as well be cheating so why not do it the most efficient way?

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

You actually can craft crossbow bolts, but you need to start a set of quests that are only available on the Dawnguard side.

Doing this also allows you to craft enchanted crossbow bolts which do elemental damage on top of enchanting the crossbow itself. Crossbows supposedly have a chance to stagger enemies without taking the archery perk - taking the perk raises the base chance. Certain crossbows also ignore 50% of enemy armour.

However since the base damage of the highest tier of crossbow bolt is so low, it's highly unlikely that you'll be doing more damage than with a bow (especially when accounting for sneak bonuses which most bow wielding characters use) unless maybe there's an enemy where 50% of the armour reduction outstrips the damage gap, and I don't know how common that is.

Plus since they're so slow to reload and fire you stagger less overall.

Like all things in Skyrim except for sneaky archery, crossbows are cool and flavourful but suboptimal and, in the only example of meaningful choice in the game, gated behind a faction choice. Which is really not what players meant when they said they wanted meaningful faction choices.

They're probably good if you're not playing legendary, but so is literally everything.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

There's one funny but not really useful use for them in Dragonborn which I won't get into for spoiler reasons but yeah all it does is give you a swimming pool of gems. I once amassed so many in a bedroom that the game would crash trying to calculate the light reflection off all of them.

Dawnguard is full of these huge and cool looking setpieces that are cool for about five minutes before you get bored of them but you have to spend hours in them and rapidly become super boring.

The Soul Cairn is the worst because there's no distinguishing features beyond the same identical ruins so it's impossible to work out where you are in relation to your objectives, and half the quests and optional things are unmarked so you have no clue where you're going and where you've looked. Plus there's no fast travel points and your local map is useless, so there's no real way to navigate.

There's this, Castle Volkihar (front and back) Fort Dawnguard, and the next part of this quest which have the same problem - cool to look at, tedious as hell in practice, especially if you're looking for the hidden secrets.

It's all based on another part of the main quest which we haven't gotten to yet, which is cool once and people raved about which honestly had the same problem, but was a lot smaller to my recollection and had the bonus of being way easier to navigate and there being exactly one of them rather than three in sequence. And even that one got tedious as gently caress.

Also yeah, this is supposedly why Serana is locked away rather than just her scroll, so Harkon can't have her blood. But what's stopping Harkon from just creating another Daughter of Coldharbour? Just offer another woman to Molag Bal annually?

Either Harkon knows what he needs, in which case you'd think he'd have done it by now, or he doesn't (the most likely case), in which case you can hide the scrolls with you in the Soul Cairn and don't have to leave Serana alone in a column. Or take her with you.

MinistryofLard fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 7, 2018

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

I really like Blackreach, but it comes at the end of such a long dungeon that the first time I got there I just wanted to get out fast. Plus it was so hard to navigate there and I was already so loaded down I couldn't loot anything.

It was only on my second playthrough that I started exploring it properly and found out how cool it was.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

So uhh... Why can't Paathurnax fly you to Sovngarde?

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

One rule of thumb I've discovered when dungeon crawling is that the game never actually forces you to pick a lock outside of possibly the Thieves' Guild questline. Easy locks lead to side areas, while expert/master locks either lead to big treasure rooms (particularly in Dwemer ruins) or have a key elsewhere in the dungeon and act as shortcuts if picked.

It's a pretty obvious design decision in Skyrim that every character should be able to complete every quest in every way. If lockpicking was required to proceed in a quest then someone who runs out of lockpicks or isn't very good at it will not be able to finish the quest and Skyrim won't brook that.

It's just that instead of Fallout New Vegas, which gives you actual options for finishing quests in different ways based on your skills, build and previous choices, right down to defaulting just to murder, or even just Oblivion which gives you multiple tools to solve the same problem, Skyrim just removes any problem you can't stab to death from the game.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Given how many Daedra the average Dragonborn has pledged their soul to, it's probably a crapshoot if they make it Sovngarde at all.

MinistryofLard fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

LashLightning posted:

I think it's similar to the Greybeards yelling "Dov Ah Kiin" at the start of the main quest. A dragon is just too arrogant to ignore someone with The Voice yelling their name/challenging them, and then you scare/impress him into servitude.

I always thought it was a nice touch that the Dragonborn, having the soul of a dragon, is too arrogant not to show up when their Dragon Name is called.