Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I think he just took the title in stride since it means he was left alone so he could just keep on working forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I mean, it's basically the ultimate beard movie.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I had a legitimate swell of goodfeel emotions when he said that.

I think that evocation is precisely the essence the of the film's greatness. I was feeling these emotional cocktails that are so insane outside of this film's logic but within those two hours, gently caress, it's a good time. The New Year's sequence stands out as my favorite after the first viewing. It's so weirdly romantic, even though he just shows up to retrieve her back into her cold, sad world.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Best of the year.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I am.....not SUPER hard of hearing, but I do usually go watch media with subtitles, and I have trouble with films with a variety of accents (although I was just about ok with CMBYN). But to see this in the cinema I have to choose between a 70mm or HOH screening. Would people who have seen this say it’s Queens English-y enough and whatever that I could understand it without issues?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Escobarbarian posted:

I am.....not SUPER hard of hearing, but I do usually go watch media with subtitles, and I have trouble with films with a variety of accents (although I was just about ok with CMBYN). But to see this in the cinema I have to choose between a 70mm or HOH screening. Would people who have seen this say it’s Queens English-y enough and whatever that I could understand it without issues?
One of the two main characters has a not super strong Luxembourg accent. Aside from that pretty much everyone's English is pretty standard. On the other hand, I don't know if there's any big need to see it in 70mm.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

70mm is generally overrated imo, and this movie is extremely dialogue driven.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I’d totally see it in 70mm if I could. It’s beautifully shot.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

This is the best movie about a man named Mr. Woodcock since the movie Mr. Woodcock.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

My favorite part below

I want you
Flat on your back
With nobody but me to help you

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

publishko posted:

"Kiss me, darling, before I'm sick" was the best part of the movie. that's precisely where i said "what the gently caress" to myself

Really? I had to stifle a laugh in the theatre. It was just so outrageous and gross, almost parodic.

I thought this film was like watching two predator drones fall in love. Utterly inhuman. Kind of a weaker version of Boxing Helena. Hugely disappointing and dull as a big PTA fan.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
That was the part where my head swirled and I knew I was really truly in love.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
This thread encouraged me to watch the movie again, this time in 70mm. I got this neat booklet out of it:

Also, I don't know if I was blind the first time I saw the movie or if it was because where I was sitting (higher up for the multiplex screening vs in the second row for 70mm), but at the multiplex, other than the emphasis on the film grain, it still felt like a film shot in the 21st century. For the 70mm showing, the cinematography looked genuinely aged, as if the film was actually released three decades ago, something I think a couple film critics also noticed. Lighting cameraman Michael Bauman and camera/steadicam operator Colin Anderson talk a bit about the process here.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I watched the trailer a few months ago and thought this was going to be the driest film of the year.

During the first half hour or so, I became frustrated with this film, and even considered walking out (I never would, though).

Then, something happened. The film starts to peel back, and it became this fantastically perverse, hilarious ride. I think part of my initial misunderstanding was because I didn't realize that the film was actually showing the absurdity of Woodcock's existence. He is somewhat of a ridiculous figure. I mean, I should of realized the hilarity of their first date dress fitting scene, but I am ashamed to say it took me a little while longer to figure it out.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Idgi

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I saw this earlier today and thought it was fantastic. I hadn’t watched the trailer and didn’t know anything about it beyond a one line premise. I initially wasn’t planning on seeing it anytime soon because “older man falls in love with much younger woman” is really not my kind of thing at all. But I figured a PT Anderson and DDL film is unlikely to be bad, so I just went ahead and saw it.

It was delightfully weird and perverse. Way way better and more interesting than I expected. I’m sorry for doubting you, PTA. It’s a shame Vicky Krieps didn’t get nominated, but Lesley Manville was also fantastic in this.

One question though, it’s after Alma poisons him the first time and he falls over on the dress and damages it. She’s helping to fix it and notices a short message sewn into it. I didn’t quite catch what it said though, did anyone else see what it was?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
"never cursed"

Annoying Reveler
Jul 16, 2002

Coaaab posted:

"never cursed"

Also the most beautiful piece of music in the film too!

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
This was a beautiful film all around. The score was great, all the performances were on point. DDL and Greenwood should win.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Just saw it, and liked it, but still thinking things through. The word Phantom is in the title and Woodcock is marginally obsessed with ghosts. And in maybe my favorite scene When Cyril confronts Woodcock and straight up tells him not to challenge her - she instructs DDL not to let Alma hang around and turn into a ghost. Has anyone pieced more together from these allusions? The consumption aspect was foreshadowed from the moment they met but I'm curious about other interpretations about literal phantoms. Also I think Cyril is the most interesting character and my favorite.

Also also my favorite dress was the Flemish lace.

Miss Lonelyhearts fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 2, 2018

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
As a huge Daniel Day Lewis fan and an even bigger P.T. Anderson fan who is secretly fascinated with the world of fashion, I was incredibly excited for this movie. I have to say, though, that I came out of the theatre underwhelmed by the whole experience. I hate to say it, but this movie just wasn't that interesting.

The whole setup of the strange relationship between Reynolds, Cyril, their mother, and Alma sounds on paper like it should be fascinating, and in many ways it was, but this movie just didn't really do all that much with it. Considering how quickly his relationship with Alma begins in this movie, not a whole lot actually happens in between the scene in the restaurant when they first meet and the final scene. And a movie being slow isn't a problem for me as long as it keeps things interesting, which it did for the first half, but after the first poisoning it just keeps hitting the same note over and over again. When I compare this to TWBB or The Master the plot just seems scarce.

Towards the end the movie transitions from one-note to ridiculous. I found many scenes throughout very funny, but I laughed out loud at the last scene because the whole depiction was so absurd -- I agree with the poster above who said it was almost parodic. The omelette cooking was so drawn out, with Reynolds staring at her and taking ages just to chew his first bite, but there was no real tension since the viewer already knows what's going to happen.

The only thing that has kept me thinking about the movie is the framing device of Alma talking to the doctor, but since we know from the way she is talking during those sequences that Reynolds is still alive, this also isn't that interesting in retrospect -- they're just living through their endless cycle of antagonism, poisoning, closeness, and recovery.

As for the acting everyone did a fantastic job, but DDL was almost boring in this. He is such a master at injecting tiny, captivating weirdnesses into everything his characters do, and while I did detect such flourishes here, he pretty much plays the character straight (no pun intended). Krieps was the standout for me -- her range of facial expressions really sold the character. Her acting stood out especially during the whole sequence in the country home when Reynolds is fitting her for the first time and Cyril shows up unexpectedly.

The setting was enchanting and the cinematography beautiful, but, having just watched The Master again, I can't help but lament how much more could have been done with this movie. Ultimately a disappointment, and I really hope DDL comes out of retirement at some point to chew the scenery again the way he has in the past.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
I thought it was pretty good.

I generally like PTA but felt the narrative in The Master and Inherent Vice wasn't very good. This is a much more straightforward movie, the plot develops nicely, you get a certain attachment for the characters, and a reasonable climax.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahahaha this was so much funnier and more bizarre than I expected. I loved it! It’s so formal and elegant but then that’s undercut by the dirtiness of the grain and how it becomes shot like a caper whenever anyone enters a car, the characters open up in intriguing ways, the score and costumes are absolutely gorgeous and beautiful, and it’s just perversely strange in an amazing way.

One thing: the wiki synopsis states that Woodcock dies not long after the second poisoning/framing device conversations, but that’s not actually made clear at all, is it?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

One thing: the wiki synopsis states that Woodcock dies not long after the second poisoning/framing device conversations, but that’s not actually made clear at all, is it?

I saw that too, but unless I just wasn’t paying attention I’m pretty sure that is not stated to happen. She specifically says he won’t die, although he’ll probably wish he will. Not that she couldn’t be wrong, of course. I would have to watch it again to be certain, but I could’ve sworn both Alma and the doctor talk about Woodcock in the present tense in their discussions. I much prefer to think that they continued with their weird relationship rather than him just dying.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

MeinPanzer posted:

As for the acting everyone did a fantastic job, but DDL was almost boring in this. He is such a master at injecting tiny, captivating weirdnesses into everything his characters do, and while I did detect such flourishes here, he pretty much plays the character straight (no pun intended). Krieps was the standout for me -- her range of facial expressions really sold the character. Her acting stood out especially during the whole sequence in the country home when Reynolds is fitting her for the first time and Cyril shows up unexpectedly.

The vast majority of DDL's performances don't have any weirdness to them. I am so confused by this assessment of the man's resume. He isn't Johnny Depp.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Judakel posted:

The vast majority of DDL's performances don't have any weirdness to them. I am so confused by this assessment of the man's resume. He isn't Johnny Depp.

I'm talking mainly about his more recent work with directors who are happy to give him free rein to really explore his characters (TWBB, Gangs of New York, even Lincoln); I think it's no surprise that these are also his best performances. I'm also not saying that these portrayals are wacky, just that DDL is a master of injecting oddities into the mannerisms or responses of his characters -- it can be something as small as an off-putting smirk or an odd pronunciation -- that make these characters especially captivating.

My point was that given DDL's performance in TWBB and Anderson's appreciation for free-wheeling method acting, it's disappointing that the performance we got in this movie was so restrained.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Escobarbarian posted:

I don't think that's in the film. I actually felt like after the first poisoning we were meant to think maybe he had died by the time of the frame scenes, with the reveal of how he's been in her lap the whole time at the end being a twist that casts warmth on ambiguous things we'd seen/heard before (without resolving all of the ambiguities). WOODCOCK DIED NOT LONG AFTER would be a dumb way to undercut that

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Loved it, what a great antidote for the bad taste Mother! has left in my mouth for the last 6 months.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

General Dog posted:

Loved it, what a great antidote for the bad taste Mother! has left in my mouth for the last 6 months.

What the hell does that even mean

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I guess they see this as a superior “lovely creative mistreats his muse” movie? I personally think they’re both great

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Any idiot edge lord can destroy a woman to feed his creative drive, it takes a real man to let a woman repeatedly destroy you to feed your creative drive.

mother! is about anal, Phantom Thread is about pegging

General Dog fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 11, 2018

Trollipop
Apr 10, 2007

hippin and hoppin

General Dog posted:

mother! is about anal, Phantom Thread is about pegging

I lol'd

Lilikoi
Oct 11, 2012
I was not prepared by how freaking funny this movie is. "Chic?"

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Lilikoi posted:

I was not prepared by how freaking funny this movie is. "Chic?"

It is absolutely hysterical, I crack myself up thinking about how ridiculous it was. He likes his mushrooms with OIL but she's gonna make those bitches with BUTTER. Hahahaha.

If PTA was trying to hit on that "I drink your milkshake!" tone, he absolutely nailed it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm catching up on 2017 releases, but this is a goddamn masterpiece. While it took me a second view to love The Master, I was completely absorbed into the film the whole time. Not to discount Anderson's originality, but this is like getting a new Kubrick movie after Eyes Wide Shut. Pitch black humor, not a single wasted shot, and hypnotic. Day-Lewis, Krieps, and Manville are fantastic; gorgeously shot and designed; and Jonny Greenwood's score is magnificent.

This is one of my favorite music cues ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzlBrjNVIhY

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
It was honestly the funniest movie of the year, DDL had so many absolutely mic dropping fay burns

The tea is leaving, but the interruption is staying right here with me
No more stodgy things
I'm certain I was never meant to marry. I'm a confirmed bachelor. I'm incurable.
There is an air of quiet death in this house. I don't like the way it smells.
I think we last met in a puddle of sweat, Didn’t I tell you to gently caress off?

Was anyone absolutely famished after the film, I felt crazed.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm catching up on 2017 releases, but this is a goddamn masterpiece. While it took me a second view to love The Master, I was completely absorbed into the film the whole time. Not to discount Anderson's originality, but this is like getting a new Kubrick movie after Eyes Wide Shut. Pitch black humor, not a single wasted shot, and hypnotic. Day-Lewis, Krieps, and Manville are fantastic; gorgeously shot and designed; and Jonny Greenwood's score is magnificent.

This is one of my favorite music cues ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzlBrjNVIhY

I thought it was more in the style of Noel Coward than Kubrick (though PTA has done a Kubrick impression a couple of times)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

What are the odds that Alma's named after Alfred Hitchcock's wife?

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The soundtrack to this movie is the best I've heard in a long time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Snowman_McK posted:

I thought it was more in the style of Noel Coward than Kubrick (though PTA has done a Kubrick impression a couple of times)

I think he means more in terms of cinematography, which is absolutely true, but the writing has a distinct Kubrick vibe - it definitely feels like an extension of Eyes Wide Shut in some ways.

• Locked thread