Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

I just looked it up and threw up in my mouth a little.

I like your ignorant version so much better.

Aye, more for me then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I definately want to try the original, I just gotta run back to publix and get the fixins. Ooh, would pancetta be nice too, or just go with a nice Boars Head smoked sweet ham?

Honestly, replace the cream cheese with swiss, add a slice of pork and salami too, and put it in a cuban roll, and you got yourself the fixins for my favorite sandwich. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuban_sandwich. I am very much a tampa style fan, but I do need a little bit of mayo. Juuuust to bring it all together and give it a creamy finish.

poo poo, wait, Cuban is still on the up for grabs list! SPOILERS

Edit: Made some lovely leftovers as well. Please note that is a random lemonade flavored vitamin drink I found in my truck pantry of random MRE components, not a beer. But it would have been excellent with a shandy.

\/\/In it's self, a culturally ignorant cuisine then!\/\/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 24, 2018

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ultimate Mango posted:

I just looked it up and threw up in my mouth a little.

It looks like someone trying to cobble together rollmops without having any of the ingredients available except the pickle. It's so sad.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Suspect Bucket posted:

Minnesotan Sushi

edit: I JUST LOOKED UP WHAT IT ACTUALLY IS AND HOLY poo poo I WANT THAT

In Eastern Iowa, that's known as "Frog Eye's". The wife to this day will get some nice smoked pork loin slices from Fareway and make them with cream cheese and Claussen pickles for an afternoon snack

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Historical thread reminded me of this:

Ryse of Flessh.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Fruits of the sea posted:

I would love to see somebody have a go at burning love, a Danish dish.
I don't know much about Denmark or Danish cuisine, but it was Valentine's Day recently and that made me think; what do people associate with Valentine's Day? Chocolate. The colour red. Drinking to escape the loneliness. Sure, all those things. So I think I've got a handle on what "burning love" might be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z17Vp78CgPA

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tiggum posted:

I don't know much about Denmark or Danish cuisine, but it was Valentine's Day recently and that made me think; what do people associate with Valentine's Day? Chocolate. The colour red. Drinking to escape the loneliness. Sure, all those things. So I think I've got a handle on what "burning love" might be.

You need to do all of your entries in this format now.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

In Eastern Iowa, that's known as "Frog Eye's". The wife to this day will get some nice smoked pork loin slices from Fareway and make them with cream cheese and Claussen pickles for an afternoon snack

We always did them with Pella dried beef or thin-cut corned beef instead of ham.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Tiggum posted:

You have raised the bar, sir. This is great!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

You need to do all of your entries in this format now.

ExecuDork posted:

You have raised the bar, sir. This is great!

If it is so great (and it is), why has no one else even tossed him a single thumbs up (I did)?

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

The failure to ignite is perfect for a lonely Valentine's day.

In the spirit of the upcoming holiday, may I submit Villian's Ears?

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Tiggum posted:

The blue shirt of loneliness really makes it. Cracking.

(If you were in the USA I'd encourage you to enter it into this: https://createtv.com/challenge. It's just what food tv needs.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Finally got to watching this and it is phenomenal. Great job!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I just realised that I forgot to give my impressions of the food!

The whisky soaked straight into the cake and made it soggy and taste of whisky. The rocky road mix had a bit too much coconut - is rocky road even supposed to have coconut in it? - and the mini marshmallows aren't really of any value whatsoever, but the chocolate and nuts were chocolate and nuts.The berries were also fine.

So if you enjoy soggy cake and cheap whisky (and who doesn't?) then you're onto a winner.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

um you can't set 40% alcohol on fire, much less when it's been diluted by that cherry liquor. minimum % that will ignite is ~100 proof(50%)

Elizabethan Error fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 2, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Elizabethan Error posted:

um you can't set 40% alcohol on fire, much less when it's been diluted by that cherry liquor. minimum % that will ignite is ~100 proof(50%)

At room temperature, at least.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Flashpoint of a 40% ethanol solution is 26 degrees C. You can definitely set 40% alcohol on fire.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Phanatic posted:

Flashpoint of a 40% ethanol solution is 26 degrees C. You can definitely set 40% alcohol on fire.
'fire' requires a steady flame, which isn't achieved until 50% alcohol. this is literally where the term 'proof' comes from

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

'fire' requires a steady flame, which isn't achieved until 50% alcohol. this is literally where the term 'proof' comes from

Again, you are ignoring the effect of temperature. Flashpoint is the temperature at which the vapors will ignite. For a 40:60 mixture of ethanol and water, the flashpoint is 26C. For 50:50, it is 24C. You can look this up in chemistry handbooks, it’s not controversial.

The term “proof” had to do with mixing the spirit with *gunpowder* and having it burn. If you don’t think it’s possible to ignite 80-proof whiskey, try getting a pan nice and hot over a gas stove and dumping in a shot of Beam.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Phanatic posted:

The term “proof” had to do with mixing the spirit with *gunpowder* and having it burn.

And having it burn with a steady blue flame. I've tried to light 110 proof rye and had at best indifferent success.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Phanatic posted:

If you don’t think it’s possible to ignite 80-proof whiskey, try getting a pan nice and hot over a gas stove and dumping in a shot of Beam.

Make sure your face is directly over the pan when you do this so you get a good view.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

ulmont posted:

And having it burn with a steady blue flame. I've tried to light 110 proof rye and had at best indifferent success.

It works better aerosolized. I would have tried to make a bunch of drinks in this thread except...I actually knew what the vast majority of them were already.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Shooting Blanks posted:

It works better aerosolized.

I was trying to do the "pour over sugar cube, light cube, extinguish with small drips of water" effect from absinthe, except with a liquor that tastes good.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What about making drinks based on songs? Or usernames?

"Purple Toupee", Shooting Blanks, Tiggum, "Mr. Tillman", etc.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

ulmont posted:

I was trying to do the "pour over sugar cube, light cube, extinguish with small drips of water" effect from absinthe, except with a liquor that tastes good.

Ala mode Bohemian... I was more a Parisenne type myself.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RandomPauI posted:

I'd make a good drink I think. Although it'd work best with a skull tequila, being a skeleton and all. It'd probably end up just being a margarita of some form.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

RandomPauI posted:

Hello!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'd probably be some sort of sweet mocktail that came bundled with a savory snack.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Manuel Calavera posted:

I'd make a good drink I think. Although it'd work best with a skull tequila, being a skeleton and all. It'd probably end up just being a margarita of some form.

I wouldn't even be a challenge. Cold vodka with an antifreeze back.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Served in a potato.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Manuel Calavera posted:

Served in a potato avocado.

FTFY. Gotta get those millennial drinkers on board.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

RandomPauI posted:

Already did mine this weekend. 10/10, would do again.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I had a post started about how my username would be pretty impossible to make a drink out of, and then my weed-addled brain actually came up with an idea. Goddammit, goons.

I have seriously been trying to do my assigned "hand cheese with music" for months now. I have the idea, have taken pics of the process, but my execution keeps failing at one critical juncture. I just tried making the "hand" part for the 6th time and it broke again. I'm so frustrated. :( Should I just post what I've done, and move on to the world's most horridelicous cocktail?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I had a post started about how my username would be pretty impossible to make a drink out of, and then my weed-addled brain actually came up with an idea. Goddammit, goons.

I have seriously been trying to do my assigned "hand cheese with music" for months now. I have the idea, have taken pics of the process, but my execution keeps failing at one critical juncture. I just tried making the "hand" part for the 6th time and it broke again. I'm so frustrated. :( Should I just post what I've done, and move on to the world's most horridelicous cocktail?

I really don't think this is a thread for brilliant successes.

Oh, crap. Just thought of a terrifying drink for my name. Vodka and alphabet/vegetable soup.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Samizdata posted:

I really don't think this is a thread for brilliant successes.

Oh, crap. Just thought of a terrifying drink for my name. Vodka and alphabet/vegetable soup.

I dunno, the Minnesota sushi made looked far better than the actual thing, and while Tiggum's burning love was way off mark, looked like it would be a fine dessert to enjoy after gorging on the real thing! (Seriously, I love this thread.) Okay, lemme gather the pics up and I'll make an effort post showing y'all what I had planned.

As someone whose top 5 comfort-foods-when-sick include Campbell's alphabet soup, a Caesar-style thing made with that, vodka, and some hot sauce sounds right up my alley the next time I have a head cold. Like a savory hot toddy that would soothe the pain and clear your sinuses.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I dunno, the Minnesota sushi made looked far better than the actual thing, and while Tiggum's burning love was way off mark, looked like it would be a fine dessert to enjoy after gorging on the real thing! (Seriously, I love this thread.) Okay, lemme gather the pics up and I'll make an effort post showing y'all what I had planned.

As someone whose top 5 comfort-foods-when-sick include Campbell's alphabet soup, a Caesar-style thing made with that, vodka, and some hot sauce sounds right up my alley the next time I have a head cold. Like a savory hot toddy that would soothe the pain and clear your sinuses.

Sounds good. Also, my main illness soup go to is hot-and-sour, so... My main issue was sort of Orbitz flashback. All those little letters floating in clear fluid.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

From the military food thread:

quote:

One thing this thread has got me hooked on is the US Military Recipe Cards, which are fascinating to me on a number of levels but not least because as a Brit I can play the game of Is This Dish:

1. A weird regional US thing
2. A weird US military thing

So stuff like Beef Porcupines, Congo Bars or Pineapple Marshmallow Coleslaw - what the gently caress do these taste like, and would anyone not in the military make them? Are these weird relic recipes from the 40's or just there in case Army cooks are in some situation where they've not been resupplied for a while and have to use whatever weird poo poo they've got? It's interesting!

All three seem like decent candidates.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Samizdata posted:

vodka and the marshmallows from Alpha-Bits cereal sound like a fun start to a cocktail. provided you can find something good to do with the marshmallows (crush, dissolve, ???). i went to an "iron bartender" competition once and breakfast cereal was one of the mystery ingredients, but i don't remember if anybody made use of freeze dried mallow bits.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Samizdata posted:

FTFY. Gotta get those millennial drinkers on board.

To bougie. The potato is good and Russian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Manuel Calavera posted:

To bougie. The potato is good and Russian.

Meet you halfway with a beet.

• Locked thread